Is Snail Mail Dead?

Posted by: Devilish Katlyn

Is Snail Mail Dead? - 10/28/13 07:58 PM

I'm asking this question to the group at large, as I'm truly wondering. I've had emails from Sendsations cards about doing a 12 month mailing program. But I'm wondering if it's really worth it anymore. Does anyone out there have any success or disaster stories (recent) regarding mail marketing... both for listings and sales?
Posted by: jsteinhomes

Re: Is Snail Mail Dead? - 10/28/13 09:04 PM

Sent out 175 targeted mail pieces right around labor day. Just a note on letterhead with market stats.

Got just one call from the one piece of mail. Guy isn't ready to sell, but when he does, he's calling me. Both of the properties he owns. $80 in postage can potentially lead to $8,000 in commissions (assuming I only represent the seller.

Not too bad in my book.
Posted by: johnnyloans

Re: Is Snail Mail Dead? - 10/30/13 03:36 AM

I do not think 175 mail pieces is enough to come to any conclusions. After you have mailed 10,000 pieces track your results.
Posted by: KevinBackBay

Re: Is Snail Mail Dead? - 11/09/13 08:48 AM

Some of our MOST successful realtors use regular mail...but they do so in very very creative ways.

They send out things like a compass ("have you lost your direction?") a mini garbage pail ("are you thowing away your warm leads?) etc.

They get about 45% of the potential buyers to visit the property BECAUSE THEY WERE WILLING TO DO SOMETHING UNUSUAL.

Try it.
Posted by: Nicole Goodwin

Re: Is Snail Mail Dead? - 11/13/13 02:45 AM

I send out about 10-25 expired ousting letters a week and I have gotten two listings from it in the last couple of months. Not bad!
Posted by: TheVenturiTeam

Re: Is Snail Mail Dead? - 11/15/13 03:57 PM

Snail mail isn't dead. We send out post cards to potential sellers that registered on our website without any phone number or email. Hope this helps.
Posted by: Lucky Leonardo

Re: Is Snail Mail Dead? - 11/16/13 12:21 PM

I send calendars , notepads, postcards, pop up cards, and more. Repetition, volume and persistence are the success formulae!
Posted by: MOMO

Re: Is Snail Mail Dead? - 11/27/13 09:37 PM

Snail mail works...at one time I was sending out 3000 pieces a quarter and it made me a lot of money...don't have time to do it anymore as referrals have really kicked in the last couple of years and referrals are sweet clients
Posted by: Spartacus

Re: Is Snail Mail Dead? - 11/28/13 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By: MOMO
Snail mail works...at one time I was sending out 3000 pieces a quarter and it made me a lot of money...don't have time to do it anymore as referrals have really kicked in the last couple of years and referrals are sweet clients

MOMO, what where you sending out?

Re: Is Snail Mail Dead? - 11/28/13 05:18 AM

A 2 page mailer...market stats on both sides of 1 page,some sort of hot topic on 1 side of the second page, 1/2 of the other side would have the address and the other 1/2 should have a couple of featured listings...just fold both pages over and seal them together with a little round sticky pad with our logo on it...used first class stamp affixed by hand. Staples could print cheaper than we could (in color) and we just ran the address labels and stuck them on.
We did this every quarter for over 10 years and got anywhere from 2-5 listings from it each mailing..same group of people sent to each time.

Re: Is Snail Mail Dead? - 11/28/13 05:29 AM

Let me add that our first year or so of mailers were just a "blanket" mailer using just a city/area as the parameters...got many calls for listing $5,000.00 junk lots and mobile homes and wasted a lot of time for little money earned.
Refined our target area by searching the MLS for best selling subdivisions of moderately priced homes and then went to the county records and made sure there was a home on the lot/property and added it to our database. It took quite some time to get the database refined but was well worth it.
Posted by: Spartacus

Re: Is Snail Mail Dead? - 11/29/13 12:33 AM

Thanks for the info MOMO!

Re: Is Snail Mail Dead? - 11/29/13 07:49 AM

It is much easier to refine mailing lists now as most counties have records available online.
Posted by: pdxchris

Re: Is Snail Mail Dead? - 12/12/13 07:43 PM

Snail mail is good if done consistently. If you have a 1% return you are ahead of the game. I find mailing around current listings works pretty well. Also neighborhoods you live in or work in is good and you can establish yourself as the "neighborhood expert"
Posted by: KHouseSource

Re: Is Snail Mail Dead? - 01/04/14 09:39 PM

There is no doubt that snail mail still works. Dan Kennedy is a well know advocate for sending hard mailings. Google search him and what he has to offer on this topic.
Posted by: 75Corvette

Re: Is Snail Mail Dead? - 01/05/14 12:22 AM

Maybe as more people focus on internet marketing, snail mail will become important again when the pendulum swings back and people wish to once again receive random marketing in their mailbox. Or maybe its going the way of the horse and buggy...only time will tell! wink
Posted by: David Hunter

Re: Is Snail Mail Dead? - 01/07/14 07:34 PM

I love snail mail! We send out direct-response postcards, and I've been doing 3D mailings (sending out trash cans and Rubik's cubes). Just got a $750,000 listing. Now all we have to do is SELL it! Giggity.