need some help deciding: MacBook upgrade or new IPad , or ??

Posted by: DJM

need some help deciding: MacBook upgrade or new IPad , or ?? - 08/30/17 11:25 PM

Hi all, I need help making a decision. I have an old MacBook, 2011/2012 model (probably old by today's standard), IPAD Mini 2, IPhone 7. I love the MacBook, love the size, ease of keyboard, weight, etc. however, safari is outdated, etc ... i like the IPad mini, but using it on the fly and doesn't do everything I need it to do. And of course love the iPhone, which is a must in our world as a real estate agent. New MacBooks are so expensive so would it be worth it to upgrade my current one to today's standard and is it even possible? If possible, would the cost be justifiable or would I be better off buying a new MacBook? I love Apple products and want to stick with them. Also, I'm not really up in the specs/RAM area, and what the minimum should be, and also use ICloud and am already full so I'll need to get rid of some stuff or purchase more space. Any thoughts out there that can make sense of all this?
Posted by: BpoBill

Re: need some help deciding: MacBook upgrade or new IPad , or ?? - 09/13/17 03:38 AM

Look for a used one that's a year or two old. The last three macs I bought were all used and saved about 50% off of retail. I went with a fully loaded Macbook pro and love it. I can run any program I need and it's extremely fast. It was 11 months old when I bought it. Retail was $2,200 and I paid $1,100 for it. You can buy a slightly upgraded air for about $600-$800 pretty easily. When you buy used bring someone that can look over the computer and everything checks out. If you purchase one less than a year old you can add apple care to it.
Posted by: simon94bob

Re: need some help deciding: MacBook upgrade or new IPad , or ?? - 09/15/17 10:37 AM

You can buy used one, which are some months old.
Posted by: FlyerRE

Re: need some help deciding: MacBook upgrade or new IPad , or ?? - 12/05/17 07:24 PM

I would get the iPad, MacBooks work really well even if they're a few years old. The iPad is portable and extremely powerful, you can get signatures on the go, answer emails, present and search listings, etc. Battery life is great and it looks really professional.
Posted by: MissionJoe

Re: need some help deciding: MacBook upgrade or new IPad , or ?? - 01/04/18 01:37 PM

IMO, macbook pro or air is your best bet. You can buy them certified refurbished from apple.com and still get the full warranty and support.