Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Free Foreclosure Webinar

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28601472
No new orders today 13153714
Stupid MLS comments. 3368246
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1241701
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1111064
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1065465
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 854554
Let's talk about our cars 705954
Most common items found at an REO 631119
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 630082
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 621236
REOTRANS 469033
EML 459235
Main Street 452572
asset val seminar in colorado 427205
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 357963
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 333339
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76089 - 12/21/04 07:45 AM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Unregistered

Arizona,
I totally understand where your coming from. One thing I'd like to see less of is the skeptics that like shooting down new ideas and have no experiences and insight to inspire agents in this forum. Motivation is key to our success. I forums or idea boards to find an edge in my market and I find some negative postings, by people that have no solid experience does irritate me. I've been a full-time realtor going on my third year and I'm always looking to expand my knowledge to get to a new level of business. I know you didn't agree with the automated dialer, but I know a mortgage broker who built his business with this technique. He didn't stay with the dialer but it helped him earn enough money to market to a large farm area with postcards and newsletters. We all know if you start out farming by mail, more often than not, you'll end up broke by the second or third month. The only downside which limits me from using one at this time is that you need to be by a phone to pick up those people which want to connect directly to you. The mortgage broker which used this auto-dialer had a full-time customer service representative to pick up the calls. For agents which don't have any idea how to generate leads and a limited budget this might be a short term solution. If an auto-dialer system can bring you consistent measurable leads at a low cost, Would you use one?

Advertisements
#76090 - 12/21/04 08:06 AM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Unregistered

Thank you for your input Jgomez. I appreciate input from both sides about an idea -- from the completely negative and those with stories where they work. Helps me decide. smile Am not sure yet, but am looking at it.

#76091 - 12/21/04 09:39 AM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
cherir Offline

You know, I did the Sweathog program and thought it was excellent, but I would never take it again. Why? Our company now supports Walt Frey and the Ninja Selling platform and let me tell you, it has turned our brains all around!! This man (and what he teaches) is awesome.

If you want to make lots of money AND have a life, then check out Walt Frey. I just checked his website, and some of his seminars are open to the public, while most are private. Our company had him come for a one day seminar, and then we have had him come once a month for what they call a "coaching" progarm, although it isn't truly coaching (not one on one). But, it is a shot in the arm each month, and for instance, what we learned last week most of us had NEVER heard, never been taught. And this is with years of experience.

So far, there isn't ONE thing any agent would not do, unlike Sweathogs and other similar programs. Now, you might personally believe that a successful agent would have to do those things most wouldn't do, BUT not with the Ninja Selling platform/idea. I really believe it will turn the industry around if everyone does something similar.

The basic principle is called the Magic 50. You know 50 people. Keep in regular contact with those 50 people, and look out.

This was very poignant - how many of us spend all this money on newspaper or other advertising? What kind of client does that bring? A STRANGER. Most of us would say we dislike working with strangers, and would prefer to have referrals from past clients/family/friends. So why spend so much time and effort attracting strangers? Are strangers loyal to you? Heck no. What about past clients/family/friends? More than likely, YES they are loyal.

Truly, if you are a new agent or just an agent who wants to work smart, have a life, and make a lot of money, check this out!

Website is pretty easy to figure out - remember Walt Frey. lol

#76092 - 12/21/04 10:11 AM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Unregistered

I understand & have implimented a referral system, which works well, but the numbers are hard to predict and rely on at best. Let me ask you Cherir, with your "Magic 50" How many referrals do you receive on average monthly or quarterly?

#76093 - 12/21/04 10:58 AM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
cherir Offline

JGomez,

It is hard for me to answer this question, because I was already at a 65% referral business after 2 years, and don't know what referral can be attributed directly to the program. A favorite colleague of mine, however, was swamped for December with 10 closings and 8 active buyers. NOT what she planned to do - she actually wanted some time off! But, she had been faithfully doing her "hour of power" per week, and just by calling her "Magic 50" and/or past clients/friends, she raked all this in.

She honestly said she was calling just to say "Hey, I did the calling to say I did it. I had no idea it would REALLY bring in business that quickly!"

Walt Frey has very specific rules for this calling, as well. For example, when calling out of the blue, never directly ask for their business or a referral. 100% of people hate this, and it puts them off. You call using the FORD technique - ask something regarding Family, occupation, recreation or dreams and just visit. In a few short minutes, they will ask YOU about your business, and that is how you get their respect and all this business. They want to know you actually care about them, not calling just to get some business.

The average agent could improve on keeping in contact with their past clients - it is just too easy to do. My business partner called her Great Aunt last month (who is almost 90) and just visited. Later that week, a friend of her great aunt needed a Realtor and lo and behold, because of the phone call, Great Aunt Peet remembered we were in real estate and referred us. Does Aunt Pete always remember us? I doubt it! Sometimes, your own mother can forget (we've all heard stories!).

What really amazes me about this program is the buyer and seller business plans - a complete change from the regular way we've all been trained.

Last week's session was on Buyer's and how to go beyond the features they want and find out their true needs. We've all heard/said "Buyers are liars" because they don't buy what they said they wanted. With this new technique, I came home and practiced on my husband.

We recently purchased a home, and I liken the experience of shopping with him to what hell might be like! lol After this technique, I sat SHOCKED at what I learned. I have been married 18 years to this man, and always heard his "features" - what he had to have. But never had I delved deep enough (no one naturally does this!) and found out WHY. The WHY is what shocked me!! And you can't simply say "And why would you like a level lot?" That won't work because until asked the right question the right way, even the buyer doesn't know exactly "why". Maybe on bedrooms - need 4 because of number of children, but some of the other stuff?

For example, Walt always had a pool in the last 3 homes he has owned. Either had one or he put one in. An agent who didn't ask the right questions would have assumed he liked to swim. NO. He has never been in any pool he had - well, once he had a wetsuit on and had to get in and clean it - long story. Anyway, the LAST reason he wanted a pool was to personally use it. But it met some other need. So, if an agent took him to a home and said "And here is a great pool - can't you imagine getting up in the morning and taking a brisk swim?" Walt would have been completely turned off. That phrasing did not appeal to him at all.

It is very involved, and honestly different from anything I have ever heard/learned, and I am an education-hound!

Cheri, Realtor in Iowa

#76094 - 12/21/04 11:11 AM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Unregistered

Cheri,
Thanks for sharing your posting and insight into Ninja Selling.

#76095 - 12/21/04 12:52 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Unregistered

Ok Gomez, so what about the thousands of people you completely [censored] off, so you can make a buck? Anyone using those dialers should be thrown in jail. I am on the do not call list and I still get those calls. Anyone using those are SCUM !! FLAT OUT!!

#76096 - 12/21/04 01:07 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Jflynn Offline

Exactly. I have morals and empathy and there are a lot of things I won't do even if they happen to be profitable.

#76097 - 12/21/04 02:16 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Unregistered

I don't know about you but if I get a polite telemarketer, which immediately cuts his or her call off, when I say I'm not interested and never calls me again - it will not spoil my day at all. You two look too much into why not to call, that your making it into a crime like stealing. Everytime a commercial interupts what you're watching on T.V. do you storm off mad? You could hang up a phone whenever you want and go about your day. I don't think "morals" and "empathy" has anything to do with the cold calling approach, I think you may lack the confidence to speak in a cold calling environment. If cold calling is not your thing, thats okay because there are other ways to market - but none as cost effective and measurable.

#76098 - 12/21/04 02:57 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Jflynn Offline

You're wearing it like a badge of honor, Gomez, but the reality is that it's an invasive and rude practice no matter how you color it.

It's not an issue of confidence - I did traditional prospecting for years including telemarketing - it's a matter of empathy. I don't enjoy doing things that I know people don't like. And people don't like telemarketers. It's totally different than television commercials and you know that so don't insult us with the analogy. And quit exaggerating to make a point, no one said it ruins their day.

The rare moment I have to myself to sit and watch television if the phone rings I have to get up and answer it and if it's a telemarketer that's a greedy and rude interruption. I'm frankly astounded that you're defending the practice.

Everybody hates telemarketers. End of story.

#76099 - 12/21/04 03:21 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Unregistered

Like most things telemarketing/door knocking being inconvenience is debatable; however, the effectiveness and results are not. The facts are when you start running your business, like a business the decision to use implement a cold calling system is a strategic tool for fast results. You can groan about every telemarketer that has called you, but I'm not interested in that story. What does spark my interested in is that real estate professional which made those 30 calls a day and increased there bottom line and sphere of influence considerably. The stories and experience those people have to offer helps me. Besides your personal beliefs Jflynn, do you have any kind of experience or skilled marketing technique to offer?

#76100 - 12/21/04 05:24 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Jflynn Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by JGomez:
telemarketing/door knocking being inconvenience is debatable
On that note I'm bowing out of this discussion.

#76101 - 12/21/04 06:45 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Angie 0729 Offline
Major Contributor

I agree with anti-telemarketers...I hate it..can't stand being interupted...door knocking same thing...It's just plain rude!

Angie

#76102 - 12/21/04 06:54 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
higgyshouses Offline

Loc: White Rock, BC. Canada
I've got two listing appointments tomorrow off a direct response mail out I just did the people phoned me and asked me about my services. No Cold Calling, I haven't even gotten an appointment off of cold calling or door knocking, but I have off my farming efforts. Thanks. BR Seminars.

Higgy

#76103 - 12/21/04 08:17 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Montanaland Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Billings, MT
The Investment Guru John T Reed talks about his early days (60-70's) before Harvard when he used to cold call 100 people a day as a agent in NJ. The other agents would get so jealous because of the amount of listings he had. He stated it was not easy work at all, but in those days I can see where that way of farming was the only way to go. These days, and in this generation the phone has been abused by worthless tele-marketers who have taken the trust out of the general public. Honesty and solid values are a lesser part of society, when it comes to sales, because the trust has been broken- mostly by the people peddeling worthless crap that don't take the word NO. So, cold-calling probably still works, but there are a lot more No's and short/blunt conversations> these days........

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
dalebeshansky, InternGrinder, Diamond Concrete, OnTheDownload, rhea_re
30255 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 59 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Advertisement

Top Posters (30 Days)
dotcom_agents 16
Tim Bizz 14
Trouble 13
Vermont 12
gitmonee 10
estatereal 10
T.T. 9
Daniel1234 8