Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 29369318
No new orders today 13263550
Stupid MLS comments. 3547462
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1347497
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1191610
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1131514
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 915219
Let's talk about our cars 769046
Most common items found at an REO 694732
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 680514
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 670266
REOTRANS 516707
Main Street 504846
EML 459242
asset val seminar in colorado 457449
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 392537
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 370713
Evalonline 300215
Land America 285057
Mainstreet 261863
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#461042 - 03/27/18 06:58 PM New agent website content?
chris333 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Hello! So I'm relatively new in the business, ~1 year, no listings yet, worked with some buyers through open houses but none of my leads have gone anywhere yet. I'm in the process right now of getting a website and domain name put up; I don't like the web page offered through my broker, the URL is wayyy to long and no one's going to take the time to enter that in and find it.

I'm scratching my head on what content I'd include on the site; as a new agent I don't have any past listings I've sold or home a client has bought that I can feature on my site yet. The first thing that I see on any site is the homes the agent has sold, which I don't have. Even if I have someone build it for me over building it myself with Wix, (looking at iHouse right now, my mother uses them), I don't know what direction I'd give them for creating the site in a way that stands out from my competition and wont mislead visitors with flashy home images when I haven't even got one under my belt yet.

I know I want a good web presence, and the domain name I want is available. I've got a decent bio typed for myself but aside from that I don't really know what else I'd include. Did anyone here have a website built for them (or build it on your own) before having sales under their belt? What content did you include and how did it work out for you? Thank you for your input in advance!

Advertisements
#461044 - 03/27/18 07:16 PM Re: New agent website content? [Re: chris333]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
I think it's premature for you to be wasting time worrying about a WebSite when you should be devoting your time to getting some listings.

People go to a WebSite because you've got something FOR SALE and you really have nothing to sell.

After a year, what are you living on . . . . and WHO told you to devote your precious time to this ?

#461045 - 03/27/18 08:41 PM Re: New agent website content? [Re: Vermont]
chris333 Offline

Loc: Maryland
Thank you for your prompt input Vermont; My mother is a top producer at the office with me (we work together but not as a team), and I'm lucky to have her as my mentor and to have her helping me out financially getting started. No one has said "devote time to getting a website up", it's something I have been pondering myself.

You obviously have more experience then I do, but in the interest of having a productive discussion, I would argue that although people would be visiting the site to see what I've listed in the past, are they not also going there to learn more about who I am as an agent and what I bring to the table? I would also think visitors would be using a website like Zillow or Trulia to look at whats for sale before using my site. Having a section on the site where I can post about whats going on in my local market and having a description of who I am personally and why I got into the business are reasons to check out an agent's website other then what listings he/she has. This doesn't even have to apply to a special domain name; my question can also apply to a generic facebook business page. I think there is a benefit to having what I would include on my business page, on a separate, dedicated URL. Does that not come across as being more professional? Would you advise to not bother getting a FB business page up since I have no listings to post on it?

I am by no means putting a lot of time into this; I spend a healthy amount of time on RBI stats/smartcharts to see what my market is doing, researching a good area to farm and doorknock on that has high turnover not dominated by 1-2 agents, asking agents at my office if they have open houses I can hold and preparing for them.. The little time I'm putting into exploring a website of my own separate from FB or my brokers site doesn't cut into prospecting time I have reserved. A dedicated site is something I've had on the back of my mind that I'm exploring just now.

Do you think having a site/FB page w/o prior listings of my own would drive people away from me when they may otherwise have listed with me and only find out after the fact they were my first listing? If someone came doorknocking on my property, one of the first things I would do is see if they have a web presence online. I would be a bit turned off if I didn't see listings they've previously sold, but I would still look at their bio, why they got into real estate, and perhaps still entertain giving them a shot if I connected with them on a personal level and felt they were trustworthy

#461046 - 03/27/18 09:28 PM Re: New agent website content? [Re: chris333]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Maybe you have a special opportunity to work the system in a manner different from others . . . . ask your Mom for permission to feature some of her "current" listings on your WebSite; then you'll have something FOR SALE (and you should be able to trust that she'll keep you advised of any changes).

Prospective Buyers don't go to Real Estate WebSites to learn about someone else's educational background, family history, or whatever motivated them to become interested in Real Estate . . . . save that for Dating WebSites where they might care about you. They won't focus on "you" here.

Prospective Buyers spend time looking at the Real Estate that's currently available . . . . NOT what has already been sold; that's water over the dam.

Talk to your Mother about using her listings . . . . at least she'll be able to consider your best interests; no one else will, at least not in this Business.

#461047 - 03/27/18 11:00 PM Re: New agent website content? [Re: chris333]
Long Walk Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Chris -- welcome to the forum. It's great that you are jumping into real estate brokerage.

From reading your posts, my sense is that you are over-thinking this. The fundamentals of the business have not changed, no matter how much the outward appearance has. You have to talk with people every day about listing or buying real estate. That is your main job.

My suggestion is to forget the website and either start cold-calling or door-knocking. I promise you that those people don't care about your website. Buyers that call off your yard signs don't care about your website.

I used a Yahoo website from one of their packages for years. Worked great. In Florida, I linked my RE/MAX agent page to a local information website and that worked great. The point is that your website is almost irrelevant.

If you want to impress prospects, you do it first and most completely with your speaking ability, responsiveness, and market knowledge. My first day in real estate, I walked down a street in Florida in August knocking on doors and reading a Mike Ferry cold door script to anyone who would answer. Then, I would give them a business card that had my name written in pencil above the crossed-out name of the last non-prospector who had failed in my office. And I listed property and learned the business.

Forget the website and go focus on prospecting. Of course, that is just my opinion.

#466596 - 02/11/20 09:11 PM Re: New agent website content? [Re: chris333]
HilarywithAM Online   content

Loc: CA
Hi Chris333

If you do not have any listings that you want to advertise currently, I would still say move forward with creating a personal website for yourself. Blogs are huge for SEO purposes, even adding an IDX search with listing provided from your MLS can be a great boost ahead of your competitors. Hope this helps! smile

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Malvin, Promptbpo, GoomesNYC, Christa Elrod, JTS808
31136 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Matched Content
Top Posters (30 Days)
CathCoy 16
Lucky Leonardo 14
Trouble 12
Z06Fanatic 11
AnonymousWriter 3
HChomat 3
Bigtoe 3
TonywithAM 3
MartinH 2