Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 29369318
No new orders today 13263550
Stupid MLS comments. 3547462
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1347497
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1191610
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1131514
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 915219
Let's talk about our cars 769046
Most common items found at an REO 694732
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 680514
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 670266
REOTRANS 516707
Main Street 504846
EML 459242
asset val seminar in colorado 457449
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 392537
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 370713
Evalonline 300215
Land America 285057
Mainstreet 261863
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#466514 - 01/26/20 12:36 AM German Schmear applied without mention in contract
spartankiya Offline

Loc: texas
My builder (in Texas) applied german schmear on the front elevation (brick) of our new house under contract without our knowledge. The elevation looks rustic and we don't like it at all. When asked the sales agent said he missed to put this in the "selection" sheet of the contract and apologized for his mistake via email. As per the builder the city has mandated that certain elevation needs to have this German Schmear but it wasn't brought to our attention while signing the contract and not mentioned in the contract as well.

If I cancel the contract will I get my earnest money and appraisal fee ?

If the builder refuses to give back the earnest money what options do I have ?

Advertisements
#466516 - 01/26/20 12:25 PM Re: German Schmear applied without mention in contract [Re: spartankiya]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
It depends on what is in your contract but most builder contracts specify that you won't get your money back. Your options are to walk away and take the hit, waste more money on a lawyer, try to get a different house from builder in same subdivision, or just live with it. Builder contracts are usually pretty builder friendly.

#466521 - 01/26/20 10:35 PM Re: German Schmear applied without mention in contract [Re: Bigtoe]
spartankiya Offline

Loc: texas
The sales representative has admitted in an email that he missed this option on the selection sheet on the contract. Even then you think I will not get my refund ?

#466522 - 01/27/20 11:39 AM Re: German Schmear applied without mention in contract [Re: spartankiya]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
The contract does not say 'no german schmear' so legally you have no standing. The sales rep made a mistake but so did you when you signed a contract without your specifications. But, the builder might work out a deal with you, so before you get all lawyered up, talk to the builder and see if you can work out a compromise.

#466527 - 01/27/20 02:21 PM Re: German Schmear applied without mention in contract [Re: spartankiya]
Long Walk Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: spartankiya
The sales representative has admitted in an email that he missed this option on the selection sheet on the contract. Even then you think I will not get my refund ?
I don't know the dollar value of this problem, but I would guess it is about a $10K mistake.

If the sales rep is a licensee, I would complain in writing to the licensee and the broker (assuming the licensee isn't the broker). Many brokers carry E&O insurance and, if the sales rep is a licensee, there may be grounds for a claim.

I would also talk with an attorney about this. If my estimate of the damages is in the ballpark, then there may well be enough money at issue to justify a suit. Sometimes, the involvement of a litigating attorney can encourage parties to settle before things get expensive. In my experience, initial consultations are free and I would expect that the lawyer would want a copy of the contract and the email admitting the mistake. At the very least, you would have an informed sense of the options and the likelihood of your success. And you need an informed opinion as you are not likely to know contract law in your state as it touches home builders....and nobody on this site is likely to know that law either.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Malvin, Promptbpo, GoomesNYC, Christa Elrod, JTS808
31136 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Matched Content
Top Posters (30 Days)
CathCoy 16
Lucky Leonardo 14
Trouble 12
Z06Fanatic 11
AnonymousWriter 3
HChomat 3
Bigtoe 3
TonywithAM 3
MartinH 2