Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 29304636
No new orders today 13256547
Stupid MLS comments. 3540886
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1343832
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1187074
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1128952
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 912786
Let's talk about our cars 765668
Most common items found at an REO 692333
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 676805
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 668712
REOTRANS 514784
Main Street 501889
EML 459242
asset val seminar in colorado 455983
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 391594
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 369207
Evalonline 300215
Land America 285057
Mainstreet 261863
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#466433 - 01/12/20 06:52 PM I do not know how to negotiate on my 5 acres. Must have easement driveway
melan Offline

Loc: bc
I own 5 acres of land in Metro Vancouver where real estate prices are expensive. The land is on top of a hill and its surrounded by a government woodlot on the west and north side. I have a south and eastern neighbor. The parcels in that area are 250 feet wide west to east and 850 long south to north. This parcel of land in its subdivision was not developed properly and does not have its own driveway access at this point. The city does not want me to create my own driveway from the southern part where a culdesac is, as I would have to blast lots of rock and it will affect a steep slope bylaw.

The way the city is getting around this issue is that the city wants me to share an easement driveway with the neighbor to the east. The neighbor has agreed to this proposal as he would be able to build a house on top of this hill as well that is on his property. Other wise he is only allowed to build a house on the bottom of his hill if he does not agree to the easement. If he was able to build on top of his hill instead of below it, it would be the difference of 500 thousand dollars of potential profits from what I understand because of the view.

This easement driveway would go up onto his land for about 400 to 500 feet before it would go onto my onto my property. At this point the driveway would take about 50 feet of width on my land near the top before going back onto his land where he would build his house. My access from this driveway would be from the 400 foot mark and it would turn left going west for me. The driveway up to where it would turn left onto my property for access would cost around 150 thousand dollars to create.

Originally, the city asked the southern neighbor if he would give me easement access but he declined. I am thinking I should not make a deal until that lot is developed and sold so that I can ask the new owners if they are interested in an access agreement. This lot access is at the top of the lot where as the house would be built 600 feet to the south.

If both lots decline easement access for myself then I should be able to create me own driveway. If I create my own driveway I will lose about 150 feet a flat land frontage.

I am unsure of how to negotiate on this matter. I am not in any hurry to get this done. I am 39 and probably wont develop up there until I am 55. The city will not let me touch anything on the land until the driveway is done.

The eastern neighbor who wants this opportunity is a millionaire land developer and wants to proceed quickly. He is worried that in the future I will be able to develop my own driveway which will force him to build a house at the bottom of the hill. He has offered to pay for the development of the driveway until I build my own house or sell the property where then I would pay for half the costs interest free he says.

I have tried to negotiate that he should have to pay for this driveway as he is able to build on top of the hill even though I would not be using the driveway for a house for another 15 years.

I am not a business man and so I do not know what I should be negotiate given these circumstances.

Is there a premium that he should pay now that he has an option to build a house on top of the hill?

Should I hire a real estate consulting firm?

Should I contact the the southern property?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Sincerely

Melan

Advertisements
#466435 - 01/13/20 11:52 AM Re: I do not know how to negotiate on my 5 acres. Must have easement driveway [Re: melan]
Long Walk Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
You have three parts to your story:
1) You need a lawyer first to sort out the legal aspects,
2) Based on the answer from the lawyer, you need a broker or appraiser to tell you what that easement is likely to be worth, and then,
3) You need the lawyer or a real estate broker to negotiate the easement, as may be appropriate.

Let us know how it goes.

#466436 - 01/13/20 12:00 PM Re: I do not know how to negotiate on my 5 acres. Must have easement driveway [Re: melan]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
Whatever you do don't burn any bridges that would prvent you from gaining access in the future.

The offer presented to you where your neighbor pays for it now and you reimburse them for half later is the opening round. Now you make a counter offer to them. Then they counter offer back and then you counter offer back until you both reach a mutual agreement. This can all be done verbally until an agreement is made and then you can put it in writing. This person is a developer so is accustomed to this.

You could start by counter offering that you pay nothing or 10% or 20%. It depends on where you want to end up.

Always ask for more than you want so when you settle for less it looks like the other side won the battle. This developer is most likely using this approach with their offer and is willing to compromise somehwere in between. You have to find that place.

Do not make any of this personal as this gets in the way of rational decisions. Do not use his wealth against him as he can use his wealth to spite you. You both have problems that you both can help each other with so a mutual agreement should not be too hard to reach.

#466437 - 01/13/20 12:30 PM Re: I do not know how to negotiate on my 5 acres. Must have easement driveway [Re: Bigtoe]
Long Walk Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: Bigtoe
The offer presented to you where your neighbor pays for it now and you reimburse them for half later is the opening round. Now you make a counter offer to them. Then they counter offer back and then you counter offer back until you both reach a mutual agreement. This can all be done verbally until an agreement is made and then you can put it in writing. This person is a developer so is accustomed to this.
I am positive that you know this, but to keep things clear for the OP, the problem with negotiating now is that, unless the OP has more information that they haven't shared, it is not possible to know with certainty what the legal landscape is for the proposed easement. The legal considerations could dramatically impact the value of the easement.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Burlington17, Dibsthecat, spartankiya, Jeblina3, Belmont
31091 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Trouble, RonnieWinz), 50 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Lucky Leonardo 19
Trouble 17
CathCoy 15
Long Walk 12
Z06Fanatic 9
Bigtoe 8
TheGodson 6
RonnieWinz 6
Mr. Clean 4