Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 29304803
No new orders today 13256553
Stupid MLS comments. 3540918
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1343838
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1187087
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1128962
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 912790
Let's talk about our cars 765678
Most common items found at an REO 692338
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 676815
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 668715
REOTRANS 514788
Main Street 501895
EML 459242
asset val seminar in colorado 455985
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 391594
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 369209
Evalonline 300215
Land America 285057
Mainstreet 261863
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#466335 - 12/19/19 05:55 PM Broker exams passed--now what? Open a Limited Function Referral Office?
meloHYPE Offline

Loc: South Carolina
tl;dr - Does anybody have input regarding a Limited Function Referral Office to a newb?

Hey all, I am new here, and new to agency/brokerage in general. I have 14+ years of experience in architecture and commercial real estate development. I received a real estate development master's which allowed me to bypass RE schooling & pre-req's, and I am jumping straight into a broker license. I have zero experience as an agent.

I passed the national and South Carolina broker exams, and I am in the process of deciding what to do now. I do not intend to work as an agent or be in any "for service" position to clients/customers, as I plan on working on the commercial development side.

I am considering forming a Limited Function Referral Office and acting as the BIC (as the sole employee). This would allow me to collect referrals (essentially, discounts on my own deals). I foresee most of my development work to be commercial, where lawyers and custom contracts will be required, that are outside the scope of a license. There may be some residential projects as well. Does anyone have more info on LFRO? Pros? Cons? Does an LFRO have the same requirements--trust, bank, escrow, etc?

Alternatively, I am considering "parking" my license at a brokerage, however, I do not believe I will have enough volume to justify their cut. The pro to this is I would have access to MLS, other resources, and most importantly a collective of people and a BIC to ask questions to.

For commercial, is access to MLS important? For residential, does MLS allow for any info that isn't provided on websites (zillow, etc) or county records? AFAIK, a limited function referral office does not qualify to access MLS.

Thanks! Any input would be helpful.

Advertisements
#466347 - 12/28/19 03:53 PM Re: Broker exams passed--now what? Open a Limited Function Referral Office? [Re: meloHYPE]
Long Walk Online   content

Loc: New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: meloHYPE
tl;dr -

For commercial, is access to MLS important?

The acronymn "tl/dr" means that an article or post was too long and so wasn't read. Why did you use it for your post?

For commercial, you need to have the same access for brokerage that you did for development if that is the space you want to work in. Quite often, smaller commercial properties, including development land, will go through the residential MLS; larger properties may be offered through LoopNet/CoStar, but may only be listed on the broker's website.

You may want to talk with the SC Real Estate Commission, but they are likely to tell you to get a lawyer for your questions.

#466418 - 01/09/20 06:37 PM Re: Broker exams passed--now what? Open a Limited Function Referral Office? [Re: Long Walk]
meloHYPE Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Originally Posted By: Long Walk
For commercial, you need to have the same access for brokerage that you did for development if that is the space you want to work in.

Could you clarify what you meant above? I am not sure I interpreted it correctly.

Since my post, the SC RE Commission replied to me, and clarified the following:

" There is no reference document to establish a referral office. Limiting the office to referral only is simply the BIC's office policy... A trust account is only required if an office is holding money belonging to others in a real estate transactions such as deposits. If a brokerage office/BIC will not be doing so, a trust account is not required.

Essentially all you need is an office policy setting the limitations/requirements of associate licensees and scope of services offered to customers/clients through your office. (If limiting activities to referrals only, that should be in the policy)
"

So, according to the commission, all I need is a business bank account and office policy. What kind of attorney typically specializes in real estate brokerage formation? I am trying to keep costs down, as I do not believe this will actively be a moneymaker for me. Ideally, the license will allow me to network and visit properties without another agent present.

Regarding the tl;dr, It isn't typically used in the way you stated. It is used by the writer to summarize the paragraphs preceding/following with a short synopsis to grab the readers' attention.

Thanks for the help. Any other input is appreciated.

#466423 - 01/10/20 01:39 PM Re: Broker exams passed--now what? Open a Limited Function Referral Office? [Re: meloHYPE]
Long Walk Online   content

Loc: New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: Long Walk
For commercial, you need to have the same access for brokerage that you did for development if that is the space you want to work in.

Could you clarify what you meant above? I am not sure I interpreted it correctly.

I have no idea how you interpreted this, so how could you expect me to clarify?

What kind of attorney typically specializes in real estate brokerage formation?

Unfortunately, this site attracts people accustomed to being employees who think that they should become business owners. If you want to own a business, you either need to pay for information or find it on your own. I consult at $300/hr and will send you an engagement letter if you pm your contact info.

Regarding the tl;dr, It isn't typically used in the way you stated. It is used by the writer to summarize the paragraphs preceding/following with a short synopsis to grab the readers' attention.
Guess you omitted your summary. And, yes, my understanding is commonly used.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Burlington17, Dibsthecat, spartankiya, Jeblina3, Belmont
31091 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (RonnieWinz, Trouble), 55 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Lucky Leonardo 19
Trouble 17
CathCoy 15
Long Walk 12
Z06Fanatic 9
Bigtoe 8
RonnieWinz 6
TheGodson 6
Mr. Clean 4