Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 29304803
No new orders today 13256553
Stupid MLS comments. 3540918
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1343838
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1187087
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1128962
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 912790
Let's talk about our cars 765678
Most common items found at an REO 692338
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 676815
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 668715
REOTRANS 514788
Main Street 501895
EML 459242
asset val seminar in colorado 455985
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 391594
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 369209
Evalonline 300215
Land America 285057
Mainstreet 261863
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#466299 - 12/10/19 02:26 AM Need broker opinion and help here
Semi Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Really enjoy reading and learning on this forum. It's great there is a place dedicated to real estate.

That being said I need opinions.

We recently placed an offer on a second home. After the first counter offer the sellers offered personal property into a counter offer which we accepted. So we have accepted offer and all paperwork is in order and we cleared for closing with our lender. All this being said we had to draft a simple statement to our bank saying we see the value of the personal property as zero because lenders obviously don't want that in the loan. Everybody knows that. We didn't ask the sellers to sign anything as our bank accepted this form with just us (the buyers) now, the seller said he would sign this if we removed the finance contingency but then declined after we removed contingency (they lied to get us to release finance contingency). Since he and his broker designed this offer with personal property they want to throw a huge wrench into this deal because he doesn't want to pay capital gains on the 10k worth of personal property. Please know we didn't request this counter they came to us and we accepted it. He is now threatening to throw this form back at us which may cause our lender to hold the loan. The same form stating personal property is included at a value that he is determining.

We both have attorneys now but am looking for opinions. We have a legal and binding accepted offer. My broker assures me we are in the right and so does my attorney.

Seller is saying because my bank made us do this form we need to pay for his attorney so he can get legal review on what to do. Anyone ever experience this? He and his broker caused this by putting it in the offer to begin with. Any thoughts from the pro's here? As I see it his broker screwed up and he accepted that. Now he is not happy and may want to cause issues. What do we do?

Advertisements
#466300 - 12/10/19 12:13 PM Re: Need broker opinion and help here [Re: Semi]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
We sell completely furnished second homes all the time. What we would do is rewrite the contract with no mention of the personal property in the contract.

Then on the side and not mentioned in the contract everybody signs a Seperate Bill of Sale for $1.00 that transfers all the personal property to the buyer at the closing of the house.

$10k for used furniture is way too much. Used furniture sells for pennies on the dollar if you can sell it. If you were not taking the furnishings, the seller would most likely have to pay to have it removed.

#466301 - 12/10/19 01:41 PM Re: Need broker opinion and help here [Re: Bigtoe]
Semi Offline

I agree, they didn't want to move everything. But his issue is paying capital gains on it. He doesn't want to pay for cap gain on the full sale price. Believes the sale price should be 10k less and we should just pay him cash for the personal items. But we are not obligated to do so. We have a binding contract at this point and are 9 days from our closing.

If we did the $1 thing as you mentioned, his problem is staying paying cap gains on the 400k instead of 390k.

#466302 - 12/10/19 07:55 PM Re: Need broker opinion and help here [Re: Semi]
Long Walk Online   content

Loc: New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: Semi
If we did the $1 thing as you mentioned, his problem is staying paying cap gains on the 400k instead of 390k.
It sounds like the seller got some "advice" about capital gain and has a largely inexperienced agent.

Unless there is more to the story, the capital gain argument sounds off to me. Is this property occupied by the seller? It might help if you told us the sale price and how long the seller has owned it. Is it a condo? Where did the estimate of $400K come from that capital gain would be based on?

I have dealt enough with capital gain tax to know that it is not terribly common for residential sellers to know their depreciated basis while the negotiations are going on.

But, if the seller is that concerned with capital gain, why isn't s/he doing a 1031?

Based on what you have shared, I think you need a CPA to talk to everybody rather than a lawyer.

Last question: what did your agent's broker-in-charge (or whatever they call the supervising broker in your state) say when this problem was brought to him/her?

#466303 - 12/10/19 09:28 PM Re: Need broker opinion and help here [Re: Long Walk]
Semi Offline

All good questions. Sale price is 400k. They offered that price to us in a counter offer and included an addendum that listed a bunch of personal property such as furniture etc.

We agreed to this counter offer and accepted it.

To satisfy our lender we had to do a wb41 stating that we don't consider personal property to have any value. Originally the bank wanted both parties to sign that. Seller said he would if we released finance contingency. We did and he still refused to sign. We have emails from their broker stating this.

Since they refuse to sign our lender accepted this form with just our signatures stating "we" see no value in the personal property just to satisfy underwriting.

Now he is tossing us a wb41 telling us to sign it stating the value of personal property is 10k. This will cause the lender to stop the loan. I verified that this morning. I have had attorneys look at the offer docs and both say everything is in order and done to satisfaction.

The whole problem he has is as follows, his broker and him should have never put the personal property in the counter offer. That was their mistake. He is trying to blame this on my lender telling me this is all our fault. He only wants to pay capital gains on 390,000 and not 400,000.

Addendum A lists all the personal property in the closing docs. Our attorney said he only has to list 390k for gains since addendum A is in the closing statement. That he should have no issue with his cpa since it's listed in the offer.

#466304 - 12/10/19 09:34 PM Re: Need broker opinion and help here [Re: Semi]
Semi Offline

This is a secondary property. Not their primary residence.

#466305 - 12/11/19 01:34 AM Re: Need broker opinion and help here [Re: Semi]
Semi Offline

We have a feeling they are trying to ruin this to take a recent secondary offered that is higher.

#466306 - 12/11/19 01:00 PM Re: Need broker opinion and help here [Re: Semi]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

There is no way to fix these problems it they have a higher backup offer. Take as is or walk away and see if they are bluffing about the 2nd offer.

#466307 - 12/11/19 07:05 PM Re: Need broker opinion and help here [Re: Bigtoe]
Semi Offline

so our accepted offer, our legal contract means nothing?

#466308 - 12/11/19 07:48 PM Re: Need broker opinion and help here [Re: Semi]
Long Walk Online   content

Loc: New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: Semi
so our accepted offer, our legal contract means nothing?
Probably best to bring these questions to your attorney. Nobody replying in this thread is an attorney and you said you have one.

#466311 - 12/12/19 12:28 PM Re: Need broker opinion and help here [Re: Semi]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

I never said or implied any such thing. I said take it as per your contract or walk away. If you walk away, make sure you let the seller take the action ending the deal so you get your deposit back. If you go this route do so under the advice of your attorney and not your agent.

I said this because you said the seller has a better offer he wants to take. With a better offer in play, you have no chance of renegotiating your current contract unless you match the better offer.

Of course, there is always the possibility that there is no backup offer.

Every agent everywhere knows that lenders don't want to see personal property in a contract. The fact that both agents were ok with adding a whole house full of furniture to the contract shows a true lack of understanding by all involved.

Edited by Bigtoe (12/12/19 12:50 PM)

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Burlington17, Dibsthecat, spartankiya, Jeblina3, Belmont
31091 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (RonnieWinz, Trouble), 55 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Lucky Leonardo 19
Trouble 17
CathCoy 15
Long Walk 12
Z06Fanatic 9
Bigtoe 8
RonnieWinz 6
TheGodson 6
Mr. Clean 4