Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 29066695
No new orders today 13227423
Stupid MLS comments. 3518579
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1329707
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1164527
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1116859
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 904233
Let's talk about our cars 752455
Most common items found at an REO 679684
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 666406
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 662250
REOTRANS 507626
Main Street 490661
EML 459242
asset val seminar in colorado 450154
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 386473
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 364590
Evalonline 300215
Land America 285054
Mainstreet 261863
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#465642 - 08/14/19 02:07 AM Full Time Teacher---Part Time Agent??
Sm077 Offline

Loc: CT
Like the subject says, I'm a full time elementary school teacher. I have always been interested in real estate and becoming an agent, but there are several barriers preventing me from going forward.

One, I worry about how much time is needed to be somewhat successful doing this on a part time basis. I will certainly be able to put more time in during breaks and the summer (of course). In addition, the initial investment is about $1500, including the P&P course, license, and anything else I would need.

I've already done a bit of homework. I have a great agent with over 20 years experience willing to mentor me, and even let me tag along with her while I'm taking classes. I met with a Broker willing to take me on and show "me the ropes."

I get super bored sitting home, and I'm definitely a hard worker. So, is becoming a part time agent possible for me?

Advertisements
#465645 - 08/14/19 12:35 PM Re: Full Time Teacher---Part Time Agent?? [Re: Sm077]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
Brokers will take on anybody who can fog a mirror so that means nothing.

Ask yourself this, if you were buying or selling a home would you want to work with an agent who is available when emergencies arise or one who is available on their schedule?

#465660 - 08/15/19 03:18 AM Re: Full Time Teacher---Part Time Agent?? [Re: Bigtoe]
Sm077 Offline

Loc: CT
I of course would want my agent to be at my beck-n-call, however, I also know that is not always possible. And, although I would certainly get annoyed if I had to constantly work around my RE's schedule, I am a reasonable person (like most people) and know that life is give and take. I also have a great mentor that would have my back and meet with any client that I couldn't meet with should an emergency arise.

Beyond that, something that I would offer clients is a true motivation to help. Not that most RE's don't want to help their clients, I'm sure they do, however, since this would not be my main source of income, I am not dependent upon it to pay the bills, so any commission I make will only add to the pot.

#465661 - 08/15/19 12:39 PM Re: Full Time Teacher---Part Time Agent?? [Re: Sm077]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Most people are reasonable in the normal course of life. That all goes away under the pressure of buying and selling the single largest investment of their lives.

I am confused about how not needing the commission is a motivater. If anything, not needing the commission will motivate giving up when the going gets so tough you want to reach thru the phone and smack some sense into someone. You are underestimating the pressure involved.

You need to research the difference between a mentor, partner and assistant. As a teacher, do you cover for your students when they are too busy to do their work? Your mentor will be your teacher. Expecting them to cover for you will not work in the long term.

#465700 - 08/20/19 02:16 PM Re: Full Time Teacher---Part Time Agent?? [Re: Bigtoe]
Z06Fanatic Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: US
Bigtoe is spot on with all of this. I wouldn't take this business on unless you want to go 100% at it - it's not a good side income given the stress you'll have to deal with. Almost every deal has an issue, clients get emotional and sometimes angry at you, Agents on the other side can be difficult, etc. This isn't for the faint of heart.

#465746 - 08/22/19 12:27 PM Re: Full Time Teacher---Part Time Agent?? [Re: Sm077]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Sm077
I also have a great mentor that would have my back and meet with any client that I couldn't meet with should an emergency arise.

This is the easy part. Working clients around your schedule is no problem and easily accomplished. The hard part comes after that.

Yesterday, on a house that is already under contract and set to close, an emergency arose with the loan. An addendum had to be signed by both the sellers and the buyers before the end of the work day or the deal died and the buyers would be left homeless and would lose their new job.

If you are not available for these types of situations then you can not do the job. Meeting with clients is the fun part, it is the stuff behind the scenes that makes deals happen.

#465947 - 10/04/19 09:07 AM Re: Full Time Teacher---Part Time Agent?? [Re: Bigtoe]
paulalovelace Offline

Loc: AZ, United States
Hi, I've got this thread on Google. I can't resist speaking what's on my mind. Being in the industry is not an easy way what everybody thinks. Ask yourself if you can push through to commit a lot of time doing it. Do your money is enough to sustain your everyday need as you are doing it full time with our regular job?

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
ashively, Brad Hanks, BayareaRE, Melvin Good, moreliferealty
30956 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (BayareaRE, CountryBoyNC), 58 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
BayareaRE 5
Z06Fanatic 5
CathCoy 5
CountryBoyNC 5
Bigtoe 5
Rocky 4
T.T. 3
Trouble 3
Lucky Leonardo 3