Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 29135599
No new orders today 13236475
Stupid MLS comments. 3527450
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1336165
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1173290
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1120809
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 908423
Let's talk about our cars 758068
Most common items found at an REO 684435
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 670322
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 665227
REOTRANS 510361
Main Street 495824
EML 459242
asset val seminar in colorado 453262
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 388481
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 366816
Evalonline 300215
Land America 285056
Mainstreet 261863
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#465446 - 07/16/19 02:31 PM Comps for neighborhood are way off compared to zip code or even 2 miles away
lookin4help Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Hello,

I have put my old house up for sale and I have received a half dozen offers in just a couple days. All the offers are contingent on appraisal value and my realtor highly doubts any of them will pay the gap between appraisal and our selling price even though they people offering are getting much more house than other options in the area.

Our neighborhood seems very odd, all fairly new houses under 10 years, with a lot of upgrades on average, quite large at around 2,700 square feet. Very nice clean neighborhood.

The problem is these houses have sold for 30% less per square foot than any houses outside of the neighborhood in the recent past.. Even the neighborhood behind my backyard wall which is in somewhat disrepair comparatively, has the same price at 2,100 square feet than our house at 2,700.

Our realtor feels that the appraisal will most likely be based on previous sales in our neighborhood. (there are no houses of our size on the market right now in our neighborhood) I believe there were some investors in our neighborhood who bought quickly when the housing market was depressed and then sold quickly when it went up some which lowered our small neighborhood price average.

We have agreed to a contract which will probably come in 15-20% higher than the appraisal, the purchaser as well as us our hoping the appraisal will come in close to the offered price but they will most likely not fork in the difference between what the bank is willing to loan. My Realtor says physiologically as well most people do not want to pay a lot more than a banks appraisal even if they were to get twice the house compared to one down the street at the same price. They will most likely take a house a third of the size that is not as nice just to be in the bank range..

Why are comps so limited to such a small sample size and is there anything you can do about it? I'm thinking not..

The only thing I can think to do is rent the house until the neighborhood becomes closer to market value.. but it seems like a viscous cycle to me.. if someones wants to buy a house they will most likely stay with a bank appraisal range which means it will never go up compared to the surrounding area because they will continue to be purchased in that price range..

It's pretty depressing..Am I missing something here?

Thank you for your help!

Advertisements
#465457 - 07/17/19 12:26 PM Re: Comps for neighborhood are way off compared to zip code or even 2 miles away [Re: lookin4help]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
The way you are comparing the house behind yours makes me think you are looking at tax values because there is no way for you to know what it appraised for. Tax values do not determine a homes value! Ignore them.

What you can do is sell to a buyer who has enough cash to cover the difference between the contract price and the value the bank appraiser puts on it. Remove the appraisal contingency from the contract and make the prospective buyer show you "proof of funds" to cover the difference so you know they can buy it. This has to be done before you sign the contract.

Or, sell to a cash buyer.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
MFCHomes, John ha, DennisMcD, Thomas Clark, GM LENDING INC
30995 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (realestategreat), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
OahuAgent 20
Z06Fanatic 17
Long Walk 13
CathCoy 11
DangerRanger 8
Trouble 7
realestategreat 7
BayareaRE 7
Bigtoe 6