Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 29064535
No new orders today 13227212
Stupid MLS comments. 3518398
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1329572
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1164377
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1116820
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 904166
Let's talk about our cars 752342
Most common items found at an REO 679616
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 666364
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 662200
REOTRANS 507600
Main Street 490561
EML 459242
asset val seminar in colorado 450103
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 386469
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 364543
Evalonline 300215
Land America 285054
Mainstreet 261863
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#458877 - 08/23/17 05:11 PM First time buyer needs some advice
CAfirsttimebuyer Offline

Loc: California, United States
Hello this it my first post. My wife and I are currently looking to buy a home in California and we have found a property that we are interested in. The property is a big fixer upper with very few photos on the listing. We have decided to use a relative (who is experienced) as our realtor. However, there are some stipulations which have been presented to us right out the gate which seem odd and because we know nothing about this industry I am seeking some advice on the perceived issues. First, the realtor has asked us to make an offer on the home before we have even been inside it. The realtor has asked us to do a drive by of the property and make an offer based on the exterior of the house only. Next, they say we can see the inside of the house and adjust our offer. Is this normal? The realtor is sending over a contract for my wife and I to sign before we've even seen the inside of the house. I am quite leery about signing my name anywhere when I have no idea what the inside of the house looks like. Finally the realtor has asked if a $3000 escrow deposit would work for us if/when we go into escrow. What does this deposit go towards? Can this deposit be applied to a down payment? Is this a normal value for this type of deposit? I appreciate any advice given. Thank you.

Advertisements
#458878 - 08/23/17 05:26 PM Re: First time buyer needs some advice [Re: CAfirsttimebuyer]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Talk to your "relative" about these unusual circumstances.

The Listing Agent must suspect that s/he'll be wasting time arranging to show the property to you.

Did your communicate anything to the Listing Agent that would imply that you're anything less than well qualified . . . . have you been to a Bank and been pre-qualified or better yet, pre-approved for a purchase in this general amount.

Deposits (aka Good Faith or Earnest Money) are typically applied to the purchase . . . . Down Payment or closing Costs.

Your relative can force the issue, since he'll be working on your behalf.

#458882 - 08/24/17 05:48 AM Re: First time buyer needs some advice [Re: CAfirsttimebuyer]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
You need to find another realtor, this one is hurting you.

before you make an offer you need to see the inside of the house and you need to see other houses in the same price range. How else can you compare this house to anything else. It is possible there is a better house for the same price. If your agent isn't willing to help you shop for a house then they are not doing their job.

Before you make an offer your agent should also show you the listings for similar homes that have sold recently so you can make an educated offer.

Pictures on the web are very deceiving, they can make crap look great and awsome look like crap. This is your first home, don't rush into it, shop around for the best house and the best agent.

as an aside, fixer uppers can be hard to insure whichs makes them hard to get a loan. You really need some help that your relative is not supplying

#458883 - 08/24/17 05:51 AM Re: First time buyer needs some advice [Re: CAfirsttimebuyer]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
And please don't let them talk you out of having a licensed home inspector check out the house

#458884 - 08/24/17 06:49 AM Re: First time buyer needs some advice [Re: CAfirsttimebuyer]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
I thought that your relative WAS NOT the Listing Agent . . . . and would be free to represent YOU as a Buyer's Agent.

I must be mis-understanding something here.

#458926 - 08/29/17 11:31 PM Re: First time buyer needs some advice [Re: CAfirsttimebuyer]
ThisGalSellsRE Offline

Loc: NEW MEXICO
We have run into these as-is/where-is listings lately. Some are repossessions others were bought at auction for resale. Many of them are not the best deals.
1. Make sure if you give them the deposit it goes to the title company (in Escrow) depending on the terminology and not to a company, individual or Agent.
2. They try to make buyers take it as-is. They told my buyers there is no need to see inside or do inspections because the house will be sold as-is, but most have a clause to back out if you don't like it. The problem is that you may loose the deposit if you do.
3. The price usually reflects the condition (you get what you pay for)
4. Some companies will not accept contracts prepared by the agent because they want you to use their version of a real estate contract. If this is the case be sure to take the paperwork to a lawyer who specializes in real estate before you sign anything to explain the details. (it only takes one word in the wrong place to make it or break it) Also, make sure that if you have an Agent helping you that they will be paid.
Same goes for the lead base paint documents in regards to Title X.

Edited by ThisGalSellsRE (08/29/17 11:46 PM)

#462234 - 08/29/18 07:13 AM Re: First time buyer needs some advice [Re: CAfirsttimebuyer]
Ananthi Mathur Offline

Loc: United State
Buying a home is the biggest investment you will ever make. So whether you're buying a starter home, your dream home or an investment property take a help of real estate expert.

#465292 - 06/24/19 11:52 AM Re: First time buyer needs some advice [Re: CAfirsttimebuyer]
jeetarora Offline

Loc: auckland,new zealand
Here are some advice for first time buyers:
1 Communicate clearly with your agent.
2 Get Pre approved before you start house hunting.
3 Get Appoint with your agent and let them walk you through the process.
4 have a cash in advance.
5 Take the time to research the market before you contact an agent.
6 complete the document process very carefully.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
ashively, Brad Hanks, BayareaRE, Melvin Good, moreliferealty
30956 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Brad), 57 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
CathCoy 7
Z06Fanatic 6
CountryBoyNC 5
Bigtoe 5
Rocky 4
BayareaRE 4
T.T. 3
sunnyshores 3
Trouble 3