Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28815076
No new orders today 13179155
Stupid MLS comments. 3468758
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1299895
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1142926
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1096137
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 884331
Let's talk about our cars 732550
Most common items found at an REO 663908
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 648817
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 648576
REOTRANS 493505
Main Street 471455
EML 459240
asset val seminar in colorado 440155
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 378846
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 355351
Evalonline 300214
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261862
Matched Content
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#450710 - 02/22/16 03:10 AM Re: Non-Maintained Roads Lending Problems [Re: Dodger52]
MannySmith Offline

Loc: US
[quote=Dodger52][quote=DueDiligence]Okay! We're expecting snow and we have at least 3 orders we're expecting to be delivered in the next 4-7 days. We'll take some pics of the UPS "fruit" in the trees.

Know what I think is frustrating on this thread? NO mortgage lending forum members have chimed in. [/quote]

Its probably because most have not dealt with this problem, but it could be all my fight talk. The road problem is just one example of the things that come up with rural properties. If there is a better way to address these things, or if there is something we can do up front to avoid the issue all together I would like to learn about it. [/quote]

Me too, trying to sell rural properties is a whole other ballgame and there's so much hassle that comes with them.

Advertisements
#463582 - 02/16/19 02:39 PM Re: Non-Maintained Roads Lending Problems [Re: DueDiligence]
Long Walk Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: DueDiligence
Beginning to see an alarming trend (for a rural area). Lenders refusing to lend on properties that are on roads that are not maintained by the city or oounty but maintained privately with the voluntary cooperation of neighbors. Where no road maintenance agreement bewtween the parties is filed with the county, some lenders are balking at underwriting.

I didn't want to start a new thread, but I need some advice on this.

A property tax problem I am working has 40+ residential owners on a road that should be maintained by the Town but isn't. There is a separate legal action concerning the responsibility for the road.

In times past, I had consistently found what the OP observed. Lately, though, I am hearing anecdotally that lenders are OK with not having either municipal maintenance or a signed Road Maintenance Agreement.

Before hearing that, I figured from experience that there would be a diminution in value; after I talked with a few local brokers who handled land, now I am not so sure.

Does anybody here know, without guessing or supposing, that lenders will or will not balk at lending in these situations? If you know, I will need you to point me to an authoritative source for use in negotiations.

Thanks for your help.

#463583 - 02/17/19 07:22 AM Re: Non-Maintained Roads Lending Problems [Re: DueDiligence]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
We have recently gotten loans with just the buyer signing a road maintenance agreement. However, none of them involved 40 owners.

The definitive source will be the lenders who lend in the area.

#463619 - 02/20/19 06:43 PM Re: Non-Maintained Roads Lending Problems [Re: Bigtoe]
Long Walk Offline

Thanks, Bigtoe -- So the response from lenders isn't a uniform 'yes' or 'no'....that might explain why the brokers I talked with weren't really definite. They thought by common sense that there should be a diminution of value, but thought I would have a hard time proving it. I'll check with lenders locally and post up what I find.

#463621 - 02/21/19 07:06 AM Re: Non-Maintained Roads Lending Problems [Re: DueDiligence]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

In our situations, the roads were paved but private. I don't know if that matters.

#463876 - 03/24/19 03:46 PM Re: Non-Maintained Roads Lending Problems [Re: Bigtoe]
Long Walk Offline

As an update on this, I found a local broker who had recent experience selling land on both kinds of roads. He got me a few sales, and I was able to mine a couple out of public access MLS data. The difference was noticeable: in that market area, there was about a 30% diminution of value for lots on non-maintained roads.

Those findings would vary by market and by lender requirements, I am sure, but I was glad to see a common sense thought confirmed by data. We filed property tax appeals on a bunch of affected properties and it will take a few months to see how it all ends up.

#463881 - 03/25/19 05:28 AM Re: Non-Maintained Roads Lending Problems [Re: DueDiligence]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Where those roads paved?

#463908 - 03/26/19 08:47 AM Re: Non-Maintained Roads Lending Problems [Re: Bigtoe]
Long Walk Offline

From memory, it was a mixed bag: some dirt roads were town-maintained(Class V in NH), some paved roads were private (Class VI in NH). And vice versa. All that seemed to affect the prices was the responsibility for maintenance.

But my look at it was cursory due to the deadline, so I don't know if any of the Class VI roads had maintenance agreements. I will let you know as I get more info.

#463918 - 03/27/19 05:47 AM Re: Non-Maintained Roads Lending Problems [Re: DueDiligence]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

We have unpaved roads that are maintained and those properties have a lower value as a result of the road condition.

We have paved roads that are not maintained and those properties do not show a price reduction.

#463919 - 03/27/19 05:58 AM Re: Non-Maintained Roads Lending Problems [Re: Bigtoe]
Long Walk Offline

So many issues that touch real estate practice and valuation differ by jurisdiction. What a strange business.

My first look at these properties showed a diminution in value only between the maintenance categories. But, that was in southeast NH in this market. Next year, depending on what lenders require or what the state legislature may require, that could change. Or, if the market fully tanks, maybe the difference is greater.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
NMonroe, Jimredsox, James Gallagher, Mike Badenoch, myownhomefinder
30706 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (CaliRealtor23, Trouble, newagent2028, 3 invisible), 59 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
CathCoy 92
Lucky Leonardo 43
OahuAgent 35
TimWin23 31
leaf fan 22
CaliRealtor23 22
Z06Fanatic 20
Trouble 20
gitmonee 15