Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28861573
No new orders today 13182649
Stupid MLS comments. 3480645
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1305523
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1147508
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1100985
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 889044
Let's talk about our cars 737748
Most common items found at an REO 667816
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 653572
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 651302
REOTRANS 496823
Main Street 475086
EML 459241
asset val seminar in colorado 442176
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 380731
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 357673
Evalonline 300214
Land America 285054
Mainstreet 261863
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#463244 - 01/07/19 06:03 PM Finding a broker...
Bill Ryder Offline

Loc: Tampa, soon Philadelphia burbs...
Hi,

I'm taking the PA test soon. I've read the posts about what to ask a broker, different aspects per broker, etc. Searches haven't turned up this specific question:

How can I find/determine brokers that I should engage to see if I might be a fit? I mean, what do new agents do? Aside from contacts I may randomly have, are brokers typically open to cold calls from potential new agents? Should I just search for a list of brokers by geography?

Thanks!

Advertisements
#463246 - 01/08/19 06:52 AM Re: Finding a broker... [Re: Bill Ryder]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
Call all of them or walk in the door and ask for an intervue. Then you conduct the interview to find out if you want to be there NOT if they want you.

You are looking for a company who offers a lot of training. Once you get your license you wll know nothing about getting clients and closing them.

Commission splits and all the other stuff are meaningless if you don't learn how to make it happen.

#463279 - 01/09/19 10:09 PM Re: Finding a broker... [Re: Bill Ryder]
koz Offline

Loc: pa
I wouldn't say splits are meaningless by any stretch.

I've seen a lot of potentially good agents-in-training have to get other jobs and really just derail their RE career because they couldn't afford it, their brokerage started them so low, and took huge fees out, and the agents just didn't realize how bad it was. We all have.

#463280 - 01/10/19 07:56 AM Re: Finding a broker... [Re: koz]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: koz
I wouldn't say splits are meaningless by any stretch.

I didn't say that. You took my comment out of context and twisted it.

I have seen a lot of new agents go to the company with the high splits and subsequently fail because nobody showed then what to do. An agent who learns the business can absolutely make it on a 50-50 split if they learn how to make sales. 100% of nothing is nothing.

Part of becoming a good agent is realizing when you are ready to renegotiate your split with your broker or move on. Keep the ego at bay and learn your trade.

#463285 - 01/10/19 07:31 PM Re: Finding a broker... [Re: Bill Ryder]
koz Offline

Loc: pa
Agree to disagree on that one, even the ones that do make it at 50/50 would be making it a lot better at 80/20.

A lower split, at least in my neck of the woods, has nothing at all to do with better training.

Edited by koz (01/10/19 07:32 PM)

#463286 - 01/11/19 06:59 AM Re: Finding a broker... [Re: koz]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: koz

A lower split, at least in my neck of the woods, has nothing at all to do with better training.

Who ever said it does? Stop putting words in my mouth. I said to look for a broker who offers training over commission split.

#463290 - 01/12/19 02:52 PM Re: Finding a broker... [Re: Bill Ryder]
ALSTIEL Offline

Loc: Pa.
You need to find the broker you can work with. As I said in another post, are they hiring another body or are they looking for someone that they can grow into a productive agent for the brokerage?

This is a business that revolves around "YOU". It's what you put into it.

Many fail because they've been sold a bill of goods that if you come here you're going make big money. No one sat down with them and said here is the path to success and lets start you on your new career.

Your first year is all about the training, building of your confidence and getting you on a path for success.

You can't succeed without putting bodies in front of you be it sellers or buyers.

I see it in my own brokerage when I go to classes. Many are for experienced agents and guess how many show up, maybe seven or eight out of a brokerage of 225 agents?

And guess how many are making nice coin? Maybe fifty out of two hundred and twenty five agents at the most.

We're having a luncheon - sales meeting on the 23rd. The broker always has this monthly meeting catered by the local County Club. If forty to fifty show up I'd be surprised.

I joined this brokerage because of three things.

1. The broker knocked my socks off in the interview.
2. The extensive training program they have.
3. The best split I could find among the agencies I interviewed with.

What you're looking for should be the same list I have in that order.

There is no truth to lower splits means better training. Lower splits just means the broker can get away with paying lower rates because agents keep coming in the door and staying.

The higher splits just guarantees that your productive agents are not going anywhere. It also helps recruit better quality agents.

#463291 - 01/12/19 03:11 PM Re: Finding a broker... [Re: Bill Ryder]
ALSTIEL Offline

Loc: Pa.
You need to find the broker you can work with. As I said in another post, are they hiring another body or are they looking for someone that they can grow into a productive agent for the brokerage?

This is a business that revolves around "YOU". It's what you put into it.

Many fail because they've been sold a bill of goods that if you come here you're going make big money. No one sat down with them and said here is the path to success and lets start you on your new career.

Your first year is all about the training, building of your confidence and getting you on a path for success.

You can't succeed without putting bodies in front of you, be it sellers or buyers.

I see it in my own brokerage when I go to classes. Many are for experienced agents and guess how many show up, maybe seven or eight out of a brokerage of 225 agents?

And guess how many are making nice coin? Maybe forty out of two hundred and twenty five agents.

We're having a luncheon - sales meeting on the 23rd. The broker always has this monthly meeting catered by the local County Club. If forty to fifty show up I'd be surprised.

There is no truth to lower splits means better training. Lower splits just means the broker can get away with paying lower rates because agents keep coming in the door and staying.

The higher splits just guarantees that your productive agents are not going anywhere. It also helps recruit better quality agents.

I'll give you a heads up. After you pass your Pa. RE Exam, get ready to have your Email and phone blow up. The company that handles the testing sends out a list of all the people who passed, to the brokerages that sign up for it.

#463293 - 01/13/19 06:48 AM Re: Finding a broker... [Re: ALSTIEL]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: ALSTIEL

This is what i was trying to say. Training is more important that splits. If you can find both, great. If u can't find both then go for the training. I have seen too many agents go for the high split with no training and failing.

#463305 - 01/14/19 05:48 PM Re: Finding a broker... [Re: Bill Ryder]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Just about any broker is happy to get more agents, so you won't have any problems finding one, but... it's like others said... you want to find the one that works for you.

Personally, and I tell this to all new agents, go work for a top-producing agent so you can learn the business and get paid while learning! Most agents are out of the business within a year, and the few that do make it past the first year most of those are out of business the second year.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
sheriiii, Bharat Parshotam, realtyrocket, jbeers702, jnnyfrlls01
30787 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (Papatoetoe, jeetarora), 44 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
CathCoy 52
Nash Vegas 39
T.T. 27
Trouble 20
realestategreat 17
Z06Fanatic 16
OahuAgent 14
Long Walk 10
estatereal 10