Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28710661
No new orders today 13167597
Stupid MLS comments. 3407674
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1258053
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1127271
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1074956
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 862714
Let's talk about our cars 715475
Most common items found at an REO 653427
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 638513
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 634208
REOTRANS 483636
Main Street 460161
EML 459238
asset val seminar in colorado 431100
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 362365
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 345191
Evalonline 300212
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#451247 - 03/13/16 01:05 PM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
FedallahX Offline

Loc: NY
[quote=Granta Omega]I'm going to Lowe's soon to get 6 feet of rope ...to use it in the next week or so, because my last few shreds of hope ... It's just that I'm turning 29 in a few months and I really don't have many years left to make something of myself. [/quote]

Forgive me, but STOP even mentioning that you have only two options of getting a listing OR suicide. Comparing the two is like comparing a playground pushing match with a World War.

If what you write reflects your real attitude, then nobody is going to work with you because they want someone who is confident (because they assume confidence = knowledge)(I am sure that you know of idiots who are doing well because they act like they are intelligent).

I know this: I am 38 and lost a license to practice law after a national media scandal (my former manager stole from me, ruined my rep, and is going to jail). Thinking life is over at 29 is just wrong. Like I said earlier, just get up and get out. If you have no friends, go join a club: a networking group, a volunteer group, or even a chess club. GO with your interests (don't say you don't have any- even a TV show qualifies as an interest).

You are literate and able to use the internet, and you have a car, so just knowing that I know that you have an advantage over 90% of people on this planet. There are people who work dead end jobs at minimum wage who are happy because they don't live for their jobs.

If nothing else, stop the thoughts for me. I looked at this thread to get opinions on good FSBO sources, and I still want to find some. So I am relying on you to find an answer. You are not going to waste anymore time thinking about suicide or catastrophizing because that a__hole FedallahX needs an answer.

You can PM me, but do what I said.

Advertisements
#451267 - 03/14/16 11:34 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
June2012 Offline

Loc: FL
How about hosting open houses and talk to people thinking of buying? a brand new realtor in my brokerage just closed his first sale doing bank own home open houses. A lot of the REO realtors need to do their weekly inspections. You can ask them and offer to take photos for their weekly inspection. All these prospecting you mentioned is long term, which can be frustrating. Did you ask your broker for help? Or ask around to see if other realtors in the office needs a team member to help them with their business? If your brokerage is the kind that most people work from home, go join a brokerage that most agents come to the office to work. I made quite a few friends when I first started out In a brokerage like that. We hung out. We commiserated and we celebrated success together. When you are alone and frustrated, you feel like the only person in the world. If you talk to other realtors, you might find that other people go through the same issues that you've had, or even worse.

Edited by June2012 (03/14/16 11:37 AM)

#451275 - 03/14/16 02:55 PM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Granta Omega Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
I've talked to other agents at the office who had similar struggles.

I'm going to start doing some Open Houses as well, but never had a legitimate buyer lead from them in the past. I'm also delivering flyers to some just sold homes with my CMA link on it.

#462954 - 11/25/18 06:39 PM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Suburban Gal Offline

Loc: SE WI
Apparently, not much has changed in the past 3˝ or so years.

Most of what Granta Omega said (and then some) has been echoed by many new agents here in SE WI.

One of the C21 Affiliated agents in my office juggles 5 part-time jobs because she can’t make real estate work. Many new agents are finding full-time jobs and/or leaving the field altogether. And returning agents, like, for example, Granta Omega are finding out things were a lot better prior to 2008 when they worked in the field the first time around.

Many experienced agents would say these new and returning agents are simply unmotivated, not trying hard enough, not doing the right things and probably don’t even belong in the field, but I beg to differ. Many are extremely motivated, trying unbelievably hard and would make great agents if they can just get off the ground.

I think the lying, as Granta said, is only part of the difficulty in acquiring clients. The other part of it is the fact there’s absolutely zero loyalty and empathy from consumers. They’ll use you without a care in the world that you need to get to a closing table in order to make a living. CASE IN POINT:

In the early morning hours of September 3rd, the fire alarm in my condo building went off. As I was standing outside speaking to some of my neighbors, one of them mentioned selling her unit because the 2-story unit next to hers had recently sold for $5,100 over asking and, like the people next to her, she too had hoped to net $170,000 or more for her unit. Since she was expressing an interest to sell, I decided to mention that I was a licensed REALTOR® and would be happy to assist her. She was thrilled so I prepared a CMA and delivered it to her later in the day. Later that evening, she E-Mails me to tell me she definitely wants to proceed so I start drafting the contract and what no when she then asks me how many other units I’ve sold at MV. I decided to be honest with her so I told her I haven’t sold any yet, that hers was my first but that others at MV have already approached me about selling their units. She then went radio silent on me for a few days. When I reached out to her, she thanks me for helping her decided to sell her unit and informs me that she still has things to do before she lists it so it’ll be another 2 or 3 months before it can hit the market. She also informs me that her aunt is a REALTOR® and will list it for her when she’s ready to sell. Of course I was hurt and upset. Who wouldn’t be? After all, I had announced to the entire world I had finally had my first client and was taking my first listing. (I was absolutely over-the-moon about it.) And while I tried to accept it and move on, my hurt and anger only grew when I had discovered a few days later that she ended up listing it with a Re/Max agent (who I assumed was her aunt) after she tells me that she still has things to do and it’ll be another 2 or 3 months before it hits the market. So not only did she lie to me, she used me in the process. No loyalty. No empathy. Of course not only did she waste my time, but hers as well. What s shame. And this isn’t the first time this has happened to me either. It’s already happened a second time. What many of these consumers are doing to agents is rotten.

I remember sharing the story about my neighbor with one of the other newer agents at Prime and she wasn’t surprised to hear it. She told me I had every right to be pissed off and that was the one thing she really hated about real estate: the fact there’s no loyalty and empathy from consumers. She said this kind of thing happens frequently to her. (Honestly, I didn’t know what to say.)

It shouldn’t be this difficult for agents to get off the ground and consumers shouldn’t be lying, deceiving, using and ultimately backstabbing an agent either. These consumers are just as bad as the unethical agents!

While I understand we have to work for our clients and leads aren’t simply going to be handed to us all the time, things shouldn’t be this difficult when trying to break into the field either.

#462959 - 11/26/18 08:55 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Suburban Gal]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
Originally Posted By: Suburban Gal

She told me I had every right to be pissed off and that was the one thing she really hated about real estate: the fact there’s no loyalty and empathy from consumers. She said this kind of thing happens frequently to her. (Honestly, I didn’t know what to say.)

It shouldn’t be this difficult for agents to get off the ground and consumers shouldn’t be lying, deceiving, using and ultimately backstabbing an agent either. These consumers are just as bad as the unethical agents!

Why didn't you give the lady a listing presentation where you would have had the chance to overcome your lack of experience? What else could you have done better?

The lack of experience is something we ALL have had to deal with and it can be handled without lying.

You are choosing to blame others for your failures when you should be looking at failures as learning experiences. If you can not learn from your failures then you will not make it in this business.

If you get pissed off every time something does not go your way then you do not belong in this business.

And please tell us in what business there are no unethical actors who lie and deceive. What business is overflowing with empathy?

#463007 - 11/30/18 10:50 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Suburban Gal]
estatereal Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!

this business is actually very easy. to be honest, i like when owners interview me and other agents, it makes me look better and solidifies their decision to hire me instead of my competition and furthers my place as the expert in the eyes of my client.

what you are calling backstabbing agents are just agent who are beating you on a job interview. this happens in the real world every single day.

if you apply for a job and the business owner interviews you and 3 others, did the one who gets the job "backstab" to get the job or did they just ***interview better and have more to offer***???

stop asking why others cant change....ask what can you change to be what you want to be

#463012 - 11/30/18 09:58 PM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Bigtoe]
Suburban Gal Offline

Originally Posted By: Bigtoe
Why didn't you give the lady a listing presentation where you would have had the chance to overcome your lack of experience? What else could you have done better?

The lack of experience is something we ALL have had to deal with and it can be handled without lying.

I never said I gave her one yet I never said I didn't, but I love how you say I didn't give her one.

That said, regardless if she had one or not, the neighbor chose to bail on me when I told the truth about not having sold anything at MV. She knew right then and there she was bailing for someone who hadn't sold any condos at MV. I could've had the best listing presentation she had ever heard and that wouldn't of mattered to her. What mattered was the fact I've sold absolutely nothing and that's not the agent she wanted to represent her in the sale of her condo.

If a person doesn't want to sign with someone who's never sold anything, then what's that agent to do? How does a new agent who's never sold anything keep a person from bailing? Better yet, what's an appropriate answer to the question, "Have you ever sold anything?" without actually saying nothing and ensuring the person isn't going to run in the opposite direction?

Originally Posted By: Bigtoe
You are choosing to blame others for your failures when you should be looking at failures as learning experiences. If you can not learn from your failures then you will not make it in this business.

If you get pissed off every time something does not go your way then you do not belong in this business.

I'm not blaming others and I have no failure here.

That said, why couldn't the neighbor have just been honest from me from the get-go about having an aunt in real estate and that her aunt would sell her condo for her when she was ready? I don't appreciate someone leading me on like that and I doubt you or anyone else for that matter would either. I'm also sure it would be just as upsetting to you and others as it is to me.

Oh, and it would be nice if someone like yourself could help someone like me learn from my failure instead of simply berating me, telling me I'm just blaming others for my failures and won't make it in the business.

You have no idea how rude and offensive you just came off to me. I'm sure I'm not the only person you've rubbed the wrong way.

#463013 - 11/30/18 10:21 PM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: estatereal]
Suburban Gal Offline

Originally Posted By: estatereal
this business is actually very easy. to be honest, i like when owners interview me and other agents, it makes me look better and solidifies their decision to hire me instead of my competition and furthers my place as the expert in the eyes of my client.

We just had a new agent get-together earlier in the week and everyone was talking about how hard it is to get started and off the ground as a real estate agent. I'm also hearing it from many other new agents who were in my pre-licensing class. It seems like the majority aren't expecting it to be so hard.

Originally Posted By: estatereal
what you are calling backstabbing agents are just agent who are beating you on a job interview. this happens in the real world every single day.

if you apply for a job and the business owner interviews you and 3 others, did the one who gets the job "backstab" to get the job or did they just ***interview better and have more to offer***???

stop asking why others cant change....ask what can you change to be what you want to be

You, quite obviously, didn't really read what I said. Did you. I never called agents backstabbing. I was referring to the consumers, like the neighbor I tried to help when it came to listing her condo. What she did to me was backstabbing and after talking to other, more experienced agents it seems like there are a lot of backstabbing consumers out there which is making it even harder for newer agents to acquire clients.

#463014 - 11/30/18 10:28 PM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Suburban Gal Offline

This is the prime reason why I don't participate here much. There are way too many rude, judgmental know-it-alls here who are quick to judge, berate and simply tell someone else they're quick to fail or not meant for this business without saying much else. And these people don't even really know me. Not like my family and friends do. No matter what I say, I'm simply blaming others and nothing I say even matters or can be taken seriously. I'm not surprised the OP (Granta Omega) is no longer posting here. Then again, I'm sure he or she isn't the only new agent to be chased away from here either.

#463015 - 12/01/18 07:49 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Your comments about this Forum's participants are representative of many others who've felt the exactly the same way before I joined 10 years ago in 2008 . . . . back then, people on other Forums would say that they're a mean bunch over here and that they don't pull any punches just to be nice.

But these people are also representative of the rest of the marketplace and the way it thinks . . . . but doesn't say. They may be rude and quick to judge, and they don't coddle; but neither does society.

My ideas are sometimes ridiculed or criticized here; but I'd rather that than for them to be subjected to silence and not the cruel evaluation that they will receive in real life. I expect and welcome that critical eye, and I've learned to prepare my comments in anticipation of the scrutiny they may receive others here; it's often just a "warm-up" for working with the public in this business; where sometimes it takes years to find out what they were really thinking.

This is far better than allowing myself the be culled into believing my thoughts are valid because nobody had guts enough to comment to the contrary. It may not be politically correct; but I wouldn't have it any other way.

#463019 - 12/01/18 01:46 PM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
She was thrilled so I prepared a CMA and delivered it to her later in the day. Later that evening, she E-Mails me to tell me she definitely wants to proceed so I start drafting the contract and what no when she then asks me how many other units I’ve sold at MV. I decided to be honest with her so I told her I haven’t sold any yet, that hers was my first but that others at MV have already approached me about selling their units. She then went radio silent on me for a few days.

If you had given her the best listing presentation ever done, you would have told her, upfront, about your lack of experience and then shown her why it does not matter.

Instead, you waited until that evening when she asked you about your experience to "decide to be honest" which was too late. At this point she felt like you tried to hide your lack of experience from her until confronted with it. She felt deceived. Game over.

You come away from the experience calling her a liar, backstabber and a user instead of looking for what you might have done wrong or could do better the next time. Even the top producers have to deal with rejection on a daily basis but they know how to deal with it and learn from it.

I point this out to you in my previous post and you call me rude, offensive, judgemental and know-it-all. In what world is name calling professional?

Edited by Bigtoe (12/01/18 01:49 PM)

#463020 - 12/01/18 01:57 PM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Vermont]
ALSTIEL Offline

Loc: Pa.
This business is what you put in it. It can be hard thinking what can I do to generate business. I've talked to many long term agents before I got into real estate and everyone said don't expect to make much your first one or two years.

How much training does your broker offer, mentoring with experienced agents working with you to get your career off the ground?

Are they are just throwing you to the wolves hoping you'll succeed? If they are, you really need to find a broker that is going to motivate you train you properly and get you leads.

I have a buddy that I went to high school with, that spent time in the Navy as a Sea Bee. When he got out he went into construction. A year ago he he retired and went into Real Estate. He got a job on the west coast of Fl. In his first year he's already closed on eight deals.

Now listen, as he told me if it wasn't for all the training that his office shoved down his throat he would never have been this successful in his first year. I went to work for the same National company here in Pittsburgh because of training they offered.

Every single week my broker is having classes in their offices for the new as well as experienced agents.

I just went though a class on Wednesday that talked about where to get leads and expired listings were one of the topics they outlined.

You were saying that mailing is too expensive? Dollar store, 40 envelopes for $1.00, stamp .50, paper and ink from the printer .20, making it about .75 cents per mailing? So lets say you send out 20 letters a month at $15, and you get one listing over a period of a year for your troubles, was it worth it? $180 to get a $3,500 - $4,000 commission check?

If you have to get a job stocking shelves at Walmart to make ends meet until your Real Estate Career takes off then that's what you're going to have to do.

You spent a lot of time and money getting your license don't throw that away and give up this easily.

Edited by ALSTIEL (12/01/18 01:58 PM)

#463058 - 12/10/18 03:18 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Granta Omega Offline

Wow. I started this thread almost 3 years ago and it is still going on. I haven't been a realtor in over 2 years.

#463059 - 12/10/18 03:38 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Granta Omega Offline

Wow. I just read through this thread again and realized how deep it was back then.

To follow up with everyone, I'm no longer a realtor. I'd say about 2-3 weeks after my last post on this thread, I was in the hospital after someone on Facebook called the authorities on me for posting similar messages there was I was here.

I tried for maybe a few more months after that and decided it was just simply ruining my life and to go onto another career.

However, I still stand with my opinions before that the whole "work hard and you'll be successful" mentality is really nothing but an oversimplification. I had put so much into it and got very little out of it.

After getting out of the hospital, I had one more listing that turned out to be from a seller that was a major liar and backstabber, and told me a bunch of lies over e-mail that he talked to my brokerage who said a ton of horrible things about me, and it turned out the receptionist told me she never received such a call.

I then had one more sale which sold for $6500 out of my market and MLS area that was a house owned previously by me great grandmother who dropped dead in it, and I found a buyer on Craigslist who I wrote a purchase agreement for and my grandmother who inherited went into the transaction as a FSBO seller.

After that, I had given up and am pursuing a career in software development now. I can sit at my computer for 5 hours at a time working out codes and logic without having to deal with people.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
all, ZLandZ, Long Beach, big bison, tnhsaesop
30476 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (TheTexasGal), 34 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Vermont 21
DangerRanger 18
T.T. 18
Trouble 13
TheMotorCityDon 13
Z06Fanatic 13
Daniel1234 9
Granta Omega 7
Bigtoe 7