Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28688616
No new orders today 13165856
Stupid MLS comments. 3400176
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1255277
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1124337
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1072968
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 861198
Let's talk about our cars 714038
Most common items found at an REO 650304
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 634352
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 629250
REOTRANS 481855
EML 459238
Main Street 458580
asset val seminar in colorado 430458
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 361850
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 344451
Evalonline 300212
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#462621 - 10/13/18 01:58 PM Question about agency relationships
Bill Ryder Offline

Loc: Tampa, soon Philadelphia burbs...
Hi all,

So I'm taking an online course to become an agent in PA. The following is a caption from those materials and I'll ask a question after the quote:

"In an agency relationship, a principal hires an agent as a fiduciary to perform a
desired service on the principal's behalf. As a fiduciary, the agent has a legal
obligation to fulfill specific fiduciary duties throughout the term of the
relationship.

Chapter 11 Agency 135
The principal, or client, is the party who hires the agent. The agent works for
the client. The principal may be a seller, a buyer, a landlord, or a tenant.
The agent is the fiduciary of the principal, hired to perform the authorized
work and bound to fulfill fiduciary duties. In real estate brokerage the agent
must be a licensed broker.
The customer or prospect is a third party in the transaction whom the agent does
not represent. The agent works with a customer in fulfilling the client's
objectives. A seller, buyer, landlord, or tenant may be a customer. A third party
who is a potential customer is a prospect."

Can anyone explain a real world example of who the "customer" would be? I'm missing the difference between a principal and a customer.

If I'm reading it right, the principal is the buyer or seller who hires an real estate agent. It seems like the principal would *be* the customer. So in the scenario described I don't even understand who a third involved party would be. (?)

Thanks in advance!

Advertisements
#462624 - 10/14/18 05:56 AM Re: Question about agency relationships [Re: Bill Ryder]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Bill Ryder
"... Can anyone explain a real world example of who the "customer" would be? I'm missing the difference between a principal and a customer ..."

It might help to consider the existence of a "Contract" to be a critical component in establishing a Principal/Agent relationship.

There is no "contract" between an Agent and a Customer or Prospect . . . . there is no fiduciary relationship. If a "Contract" is executed, then the Customer ceases to be a mere prospect or customer; but becomes a "Client" who is owed all of those fiduciary duties. Customers are not given this loyalty (even though many expect it). No Contract = No Client . . . . and No Fiduciary.

Though I did it, I never much liked being an Agent of Buyers, many of whom are fickle and don't have a sufficient fixation on the mission at hand. I often found myself having to serve too many masters.

Taking on a Client Buyer in a Buyer Broker Contract is akin to entering a Marriage Contract; while I prefered to stay in the realm of "just going steady" . . . . no vows, no commitment. When I did enter such a Contract, I always strived to collect a sizeable Retainer up front to secure a more serious commitment from the Buyer Client. I don't like leashes very much; and I prefer to control who'll be on the other end. I am not a Dog, and won't become one for free.

Now, I don't have that same problem with Seller/Clients. The Listing Agreement is the Contract, and we have an agreed upon common objective . . . . to get their property sold fast and at a high price and without any unnecessary entanglements. There's a focus with Sellers, and no (or very limited) wandering around losing sight of the objective; and when that property is sold, our legal relationship is over.

I think the confusion in your excerpt from Chapter 11 Agency 135 is the author's reference to a "Third Party" . . . . and, without being too critical, seems to simplify a Real Estate Transaction to just three Parties: You as the Seller's Agent, the Seller as your Client and some un-represented Customer (the Third Party) who's interested in Buying the Seller's property.

That simplified scenario occurs; but these days, the Buyer is often represented by another Agent, so that's a Fourth Party. You'll soon learn that this is often the case because Dual Agency (where one Brokerage or Agent may represent the interests of BOTH the Buyer and the Seller) is specifically outlawed in many, if not most, jurisdictions.

To avoid that weakness, I would shy away from using the term "Party" altogether except to refer to the Parties to a Contract. In a Purchase and Sales Agreement, there are only Two (2) Parties, the Seller and the Buyer. We as Agents, are not Parties . . . . even though we may have prepared the Sales Agreement between the Buyer and the Seller, we do not become a "Party" to that Contract.

One Agent/Client relationship that you have't mentioned is overlooked by new Agents, but it's often the only "Contract" they will enter into . . . . and that is the Broker/Agent relationship, which should be well defined in an ICA (Independent Contractor Agreement) where the Agents fiduciary duties to the Broker and expectations of his corresponding compensation for performance should be laid out. Many Agents forget about the loyalty that their Broker is entitled to expect. And even today many Agents still operate without a formal ICA . . . . not wise !

I hope that helps to clarify the issue. Customers and Prospects ARE NOT not Clients and don't have the protections of a fiduciary relationship and should not expect any legally imposed loyalty from a Sales Person (even though many of them still refer to the Sales Person as "My Agent" . . . . that's a false reliance).

#462672 - 10/20/18 02:39 PM Re: Question about agency relationships [Re: Bill Ryder]
Bill Ryder Offline

Loc: Tampa, soon Philadelphia burbs...
Thanks again! So, in short, are you saying the "customer" as referred to in this excerpt, is always the buyer?

At the end of the day I need to be able to pass the Realtor's licensing test, so I need to boil this down a little bit in my own mind as to what they may ask about this and the needed answer.

Right now I feel like they seem to lay out expected well known terms of the industry, but by your response it sounds like the result is a discussion rather than clear definitions. I mean, if an experienced RE agent has no idea exactly what they mean, how am I suppose to take a test on it? smile

#462673 - 10/20/18 06:05 PM Re: Question about agency relationships [Re: Bill Ryder]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
". . . So, in short, are you saying the "customer" as referred to in this excerpt, is always the buyer? . . ."

Not being the Author of the text you're studying nor that specific excerpt, I can't answer your question. "Always" is one of those big all encompassing words that I very seldom use.

In Agency Law, "Principal" and "Client" are synonyms . . . . they're the people we "Agents" work for.

"Customers" are people who might buy something, and if they have entered a Buyer Broker Contract with us, they could also be Clients.

"Sellers" are people who might sell something, and if they've entered a Listing Agreement with us, they too could also become our Clients.

"Prospects" is a wishy-washy term to represent all of those people with whom we may do business, buying or selling; but have done neither so far, nor have they become our Clients via a Contract.

". . . At the end of the day I need to be able to pass the Realtor's licensing test . . ."

No, and since we're talking about important word definitions, you're currently studying to pass the Pennsylvania Real Estate Sales Person Examinations. REALTORS® is an independent Trade Association, similar to the Teamsters or the UAW or IBEW, and run by the National Association of REALTORS® - the NAR, which is not a licensing authority . . . . they just collect our membership dues.

What you need to do is make sure you get your primary guidance from someone who's familiar with Pennsylvania Real Estate Laws, Rules, and Regulations. Concepts and terminology are similar from jurisdiction to jurisdiction; but the bottom line will be that the Exam you take will have been prepared or approved by the Pennsylvania Real Estate Commission, so it's going to be their use of terms and their definitions and local customs which will prevail . . . . so I wouldn't want to be responsible for screwing up your head in these matters.

I hope that Text you're referring to was authored by a Pennsylvania Practitioner . . . . not someone from California or New York or even from Vermont. You're in Pennsylvania.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Novena India, Kevink, Desert Vas, Shirley.CYH, joshmalonehomes
30438 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (newagent2028, gitmonee, 2 invisible), 52 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
T.T. 31
Daniel1234 16
Z06Fanatic 16
Trouble 15
estatereal 14
TheMotorCityDon 13
gitmonee 12
Vermont 12
CathCoy 6