Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28654726
No new orders today 13162327
Stupid MLS comments. 3385069
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1250043
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1115296
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1069685
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 858540
Let's talk about our cars 709763
Most common items found at an REO 639400
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 632151
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 626250
REOTRANS 473138
EML 459238
Main Street 456361
asset val seminar in colorado 428622
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 360274
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 335260
Evalonline 300211
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#454520 - 09/17/16 01:55 PM WILD CRITTERS
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Virginia
We have several wild box turtles on our property - one who has been with us for 20 years (we ran over him 20 years ago with lawn mower and has a distinctive nick in shell and has survived - he's Mr. Turtle). This latest newcomer of about 2 years (has deep orange spots on shell), he's been holed up in front of the house covered in leaves for 4 days. I can't tell if he's hurt, hibernating, or dead - don't want to disturb him if he's alive (I was raking up last year's leaves (I'm a bit slow about raking)); but, I've never had one stay in one spot for this many days. Hibernating now seems too early. Any ideas on why he's still in one spot?

Advertisements
#454523 - 09/18/16 01:08 AM Re: WILD CRITTERS [Re: VABroker]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
What is it that they eat which your property apparently provides in sufficient quantity to keep him (them) contented enough to stay right there for years ?

I was thinking that you might put some of his favorite fare 6" away from his nose and see if he budges; but I can't picture what that edible item might be. Do you know ?

Otherwise, you may have to go right up and poke him a few times to determine if the "Life Spirit" has already departed his body.

They don't usually hibernate visibly right out there in the open.

#454662 - 09/23/16 07:43 AM Re: WILD CRITTERS [Re: Vermont]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

We do have a year-round creek at the middle of the property. One year, it looked like a turtle buried some eggs right behind our house (we watched her digging) but nothing ever came out of there). Yet, this spring, we found some eggs in the front yard (apparently a raccoon dug them up and ate them - again, not happy about that). The turtle in question finally moved the next day, walking around. But sadly, another (at least I hope it was another as it looked a bit smaller), 3 houses down, I was driving out and saw what I thought was just a big, dead leaf in the road (I always drive around them just in case). Driving past, I could see it was a turtle upside down. I turned around and parked. Went over to check on him, touched him and his front legs moved (I thought, "thank goodness") and gently flipped him over. Some idiot had run over him probably just minutes before. There was a pool of blood on the road (about 2 tablespoons) and he had a considerable split in his shell just to the right of the front middle. I could see this is where the blood had come out. I was so mad. It's a neighborhood road (25 mph) and NO reason one couldn't have moved over to not run over him. What harm could a turtle possibly do to anyone?!!!! I picked him up and put him over towards the woods. When I came back about an hour later, I stopped and checked. Didn't see him around. I can only hope MAYBE he'll survive. If nothing else, he can at least die peaceably in the woods. In my travels several times a week, I have seen a lot of turtles crossing the roads lately (seriously, several every day). I really think people are vile to harm something that has caused them no harm (these people must be terribly sad inside). Other than icky bugs and copperheads, every critter's welcome on my property (although I do run deer off. I barely have any garden left as they've eaten a lot of it). Now, the skunk,...that is going to be a problem. According to the cameras, he shows up along the screened porch about once a month right now.

#461883 - 07/14/18 07:41 PM Re: WILD CRITTERS [Re: VABroker]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

We have a lot of tree frogs. We decided to run to the store (a lot of stores, businesses, parking lots, vehicles galore along a four to six-lane highway. Stopped to get some fast food to eat in the truck before heading out to some needed shopping. While we're eating, a small tree frog comes walking across the engine hood - ugh! THIS was certainly not the place to have him unhitch the free 15-mile drive we had given him so I had to run into the fast food place and ask for a cup and lid to put the litter critter in (he had decided to park himself on the passenger door mirror). We managed to get him in the cup and he rode around with us to the stores (desperately wanting out, of course). We got home. I undid the lid and put the cup against a tree and the little critter hopped out. I'm sure he's telling all his buddies about the big, blue space ship that whisked him off to another land, placed him in a solitary confinement chamber with no windows and after days (I'm sure it felt to him), the aliens brought him back and freed him.

#461909 - 07/18/18 01:57 AM Re: WILD CRITTERS [Re: VABroker]
homeinspector Offline

Loc: Volo, USA
Hi Broker,

This doesn't seem to be any problem, just make sure it's legal to keep the Turtles at your property, if it is not, make sure to inform the authorities and call home inspection guys to check if the damp area around the property has any Mold growth that has hurt the looks and value of the structure and generate Home Inspection Structural Report Volo.

#462197 - 08/25/18 03:04 PM Re: WILD CRITTERS [Re: homeinspector]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Please don't try to sell stuff on this forum. All my critters are wild critters and have been here long before I was. I've watched their great-grandchildren go up here.

#462198 - 08/25/18 03:16 PM Re: WILD CRITTERS [Re: VABroker]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Those critters again! We have a walk-out basement with a dry stone wall holding the soil around the patio area (we've just never put the patio in-LOL!). This is under a screened porch. Well, some critter moved a bottom stone, dug into the soil, yanked out a lot of the drainage gravel we had installed. We have just set up a camera to set if it's still taking up residence there, and, we hope to see what kind of critter it is. Now, if it's still around, he's gonna get trapped and go on a trip.

Been living in these woods (we do have neighbors but everyone's on acreage) for 25 years. Getting tired of fighting the nastier critters (raccoon anyone? Vermont, I'll send you some). Tired of fighting weeds to stay out of all my flower gardens. Well, what's LEFT of the flower gardens. The deer, rabbits, voles, and Lord knows what else that are vegetarians, are always munching on something. Voles ate sooo many of my bulbs, half the flowers are gone (plant no more!). Stopped feeding the birds except in dire winter if large amount of snow falls. They just poop seeds everywhere. I like them when they stay IN the woods (Wood Thrush is my favorite to listen to.) I now have some crazy weed that grows like mad and I'm sure the deer have deposited those. When's hunting season?

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
van phuc, ngibrealtor, nyropist, Workslocal, PrudentialBorrow
30352 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (OverTheEdge, Imran, Z06Fanatic, 3 invisible), 53 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Vermont 25
CathCoy 24
gitmonee 22
Trouble 16
Daniel1234 15
T.T. 14
CaliRealtor23 14
Vincent2011 12
estatereal 12