Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28688616
No new orders today 13165856
Stupid MLS comments. 3400176
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1255277
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1124337
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1072968
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 861198
Let's talk about our cars 714038
Most common items found at an REO 650304
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 634352
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 629250
REOTRANS 481855
EML 459238
Main Street 458580
asset val seminar in colorado 430458
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 361850
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 344451
Evalonline 300212
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#461092 - 04/02/18 08:20 PM MU4 and under the table jobs
StoneCold Offline

Loc: Albany
If I worked a job for about 3 years that led me into the mortgage industry, but never filed nor paid taxes for, then should I include that on my MU4? The job will verify my employment but I'm worried that the agency responsible for my MU4 will be able to compare my work history to my tax filings.

Please don't judge. I'm gracious for any advice.

Advertisements
#461093 - 04/03/18 05:27 AM Re: MU4 and under the table jobs [Re: StoneCold]
Long Walk Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Welcome to the forum, StoneCold.

There is a wealth of knowledge here and I'm sure that somebody will be along shortly who can offer good advice.

Out of curiosity, though, what do you mean when you tell us not to judge? The professionals on this site engage in fact-based discussions. The advice given is based on years and even decades of experience rather than emotional responses.

This is what I read in your post and will look to you to correct me where I may be mistaken. Your unwillingness to pay taxes is an act that lacks integrity. You are trying to obtain a license in a field that requires integrity. You are concerned that you are going to get caught and will not obtain that license. What I don't read in your post is your plan to make amended filings so as to pay the tax and penalties that are owed.

#461100 - 04/03/18 09:10 AM Re: MU4 and under the table jobs [Re: StoneCold]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Vermont has an abundance of under-the-table jobs . . . . it is reflected in our low average gross family income statistics.

It also represents the primary reason why so many potential buyers cannot get themselves approved for a mortgage because you can only borrow against the future income that can be expected based upon your past "reported" income,

And related, because I am now of an age where I hear about such things, are the whiners who upon reaching retirement age, now discover that their Social Security Income is calculated on the duration and amount of the "reported" income they received during their working years . . . . and complain that this is happening when they're old and decrepit and they don't have time to make up for all of the years that they went without reporting.

It's so sad . . . . but that's the way the system was designed, and the "system" has a memory. Not much you can do except, because that you're now an old geezer, is take a stab at qualifying as disabled ?

#461105 - 04/03/18 06:24 PM Re: MU4 and under the table jobs [Re: StoneCold]
StoneCold Offline

Loc: Albany
Long Walk and Vermont,

I appreciate your responses! Thanks for the warm welcome.

Vermont, fortunately I am young and have been employed at various W2 positions for extended times sinces I was 16 years old. I would certainly never try to claim this income when requesting a mortgage or filing for Social Security. I'm sorry to hear about your market's struggles.

Long Walk, you are absolutely right, I really should have included an appropriate plan of action for owning up to my dishonesty. With that said, I am filling out my MU4 very soon and fear that even if I made appropriate amends it would not be recognized in time. My employer will verify my employment, but what is the specific scrutiny used to verify employment? Does the NMLS request tax information from the FBI?

Once again, thank you so much for the detailed replies. I look forward to becoming an active member of this community!

#461108 - 04/04/18 09:54 AM Re: MU4 and under the table jobs [Re: StoneCold]
Long Walk Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Hi StoneCold --

Glad you came back to the conversation. Someone with very recent experience on your question may be able to tell you if your situation is a definite 'no-go'. But, I would suggest that it is not a good idea to risk the licensing board finds out about this through their own efforts. I would voluntarily disclose.

If nobody chimes in with relevant, recent experience, then I would call the licensing board and talk with an investigator. They always know what is up and can let know what your chances are. They are going to find out, most likely, anyways, so it is better, in my experience to control the conversation.

There may be a statutory or procedural bar to licensure for under the table work. If so, there may be an appeal process that would allow you to present evidence supporting your claim of good character and evidence of having made the tax issue as right as possible.

If there is no bar, your application may be looked at more carefully. In that case, disclosure is your best approach. That, and an admission that the behavior was wrong, together with your plan (hopefully executed) to correct the tax filing issue.

Let us know how it goes.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Novena India, Kevink, Desert Vas, Shirley.CYH, joshmalonehomes
30438 Registered Users
Who's Online
4 registered (gitmonee, barb43, 2 invisible), 52 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
T.T. 31
Daniel1234 16
Z06Fanatic 16
Trouble 15
estatereal 14
TheMotorCityDon 13
Vermont 12
gitmonee 12
CathCoy 6