Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28991446
No new orders today 13215998
Stupid MLS comments. 3508853
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1322132
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1158219
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1113081
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 899194
Let's talk about our cars 747389
Most common items found at an REO 675593
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 662683
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 659178
REOTRANS 504739
Main Street 484740
EML 459242
asset val seminar in colorado 447205
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 384398
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 362464
Evalonline 300215
Land America 285054
Mainstreet 261863
Matched Content
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#461041 - 03/27/18 01:31 PM Re: Buying a new computer [Re: Guest]
estatereal Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
this thread is old and so is much of the advice on the thread.

the amount you can store on a pc is now a bad thing. you break or corrupt your pc and the more you have stored there the more you have lost.

how much you can store is obsolete. i'll even go as far as saying you should store nothing on your pc except maybe what you are working on right now.

store everything in the cloud.

almost everything an agent uses is web based.
if what you are using is not web based its probably obsolete.
if you are an agent and tell me about program you use that is not web based im probably going to tell you to outsource that part of the job to a pro and focus on selling more houses.
my example would be photoshop.
you should not be taking and editing photos. hire a professional and focus your time on selling houses.

what we need a pc for is ridiculously simple. dont complicate it by doing jobs you should not do.

Advertisements
#461048 - 03/27/18 11:47 PM Re: Buying a new computer [Re: estatereal]
Long Walk Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: estatereal
store everything in the cloud.
We put everything on OneDrive last March and switched to Office 365. Now, everything saves to the cloud and then updates on 2 phones and 3 computers. All for a yearly subscription of about $80.

I don't know how many hours I wasted over the years trying to back computers up, verify back ups, update software, and on and on and on. Now, I just check to see if OneDrive is synched. No stress.

My son and I replaced the HDD in our laptop. It took longer to do that than to reinstall the software and files. While the laptop was down, I worked seamlessly on another computer in the house.

I would never go back to the old way...unless I was forced to.

#461053 - 03/28/18 12:44 PM Re: Buying a new computer [Re: Long Walk]
DJM Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Hi Long walk ... I have never heard of OneDrive till now ... can you tell me more about it? I have Macs, iPads, iPhones so right now Iím trying to find ways to ex out of ICloud as I already ran out of space and was considering of buying more as I save too much information but OneDrive sounds like it could do that and more. What is the Office 365? How much space are you getting for $80/year? Thanks in advance!

#461054 - 03/28/18 01:17 PM Re: Buying a new computer [Re: DJM]
Long Walk Offline

Office 365 is the subscription version of Office and OneDrive is Microsoft's cloud storage solution. For now $99/year (a little less if you shop and catch a deal), you get Word, Access, Excel, Outlook, OneNote, and Publisher in the most recent version. 1TB of cloud storage comes with it. That allows you to synch the same data across 5 devices.

We have about 150GB of data, which is all of our photos, music, and business records. Movies take up most of the space. Store those somewhere else and you should never use the whole 1TB.

The subscription is annual and the customer service is really diligent. Price out Office upgrades when you used to buy the program and it works out about the same, with the cloud thrown in for free.

As a note, if you upload everything in one shot to OneDrive, don't delete the records from your computer. Sometimes, OneDrive misses small things in a big data upload. After a year of using it, you will know if anything got missed. I found a couple of small things that I was able to fix by copying the data from the hard drive files.

OneDrive is not balky and has never gone down in the year we have used it. To Estatereal's point above about the cloud, I will say that I fought it for years and am now totally sold on the reliability and flexibility of it.

#461057 - 03/28/18 08:02 PM Re: Buying a new computer [Re: Guest]
estatereal Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
@long walk

im with you. i used to use

200 gig external hard drive... (back when 200 gigs was alot) manually backed up weekly!

then automation set in..
carbonite
sugarsync

then google drive and spanning backup for teh backup of the cloud.

#461062 - 03/28/18 10:10 PM Re: Buying a new computer [Re: estatereal]
Long Walk Offline

Originally Posted By: estatereal
200 gig external hard drive... (back when 200 gigs was alot)
And that's the thing, right? When I started, nobody used a computer. I had a recipe box and index cards for a lead follow up system. Prospecting was FSBO's out of the St. Pete Times and cold calling out of Hill Donnelly. We got a computer for our wedding in 1998 -- cutting edge technology -- it had a 2GB HDD. That's it! 2GB. My kids get trinkets at school field trips. Know what they give them? USB sticks -- 2GB.

So the world got crazy complex in 20 years. What will the next 20 look like? But, as it got complex, storage got really cheap. That is what makes the cloud go. So Microsoft is either giving me Office to sell me cloud storage, or vice versa.

And your point about farming out work is spot on. All of us have become part-time IT gurus in addition to the thousand other things we have to be good at.

Cloud-based file storage and programs/apps make my life so much easier.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
CathAn0919, REOHomie, JenniferVillalba, kumarbuilders, andr3s017
30920 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 69 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
CathCoy 21
realestategreat 13
ManhattanMiami 13
Trouble 10
Bigtoe 10
Z06Fanatic 9
Snap Up 8
Chris Goerge 6
OahuAgent 5