Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Free Foreclosure Webinar

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28598616
No new orders today 13152955
Stupid MLS comments. 3367973
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1241481
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1110907
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1065318
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 854439
Let's talk about our cars 705877
Most common items found at an REO 630688
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 630052
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 621124
REOTRANS 468912
EML 459235
Main Street 452398
asset val seminar in colorado 427184
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 357941
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 333301
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#459786 - 11/15/17 10:41 AM Re: Is buying a home still the best first investment? [Re: Mayra Kelley]
Long Walk Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
To Vermont's point above, the OP was asking about the best first investment.

Some would argue that your primary residence would not be classed as an investment because of your motivation to buy it. Naturally, others would vocally disagree and they would debate endlessly.

To answer the OP's question, I think a savings account is the very best first investment. The discipline and habit of saving are indispensable and best learned when young.

But, to houses, everybody seems to be in agreement that buying a house with an eye toward the likelihood of future appreciation is the best approach. That sounds right to me, as well.

Advertisements
#460217 - 01/03/18 10:09 PM Re: Is buying a home still the best first investment? [Re: sakshidhawan]
Nasser Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Look,

Whether you're buying a home as a first investment or as the last investment, the thing that will truly determine whether it is worth your money or not is an investment analysis.

The beauty of real estate is that it is much easier to predict and to assess than stocks. If you're considering buying a home, you can easily conduct an investment analysis to determine exactly what that home is worth, and how much profit it can generate when managed correctly!

Edited by doug (01/04/18 12:14 AM)
Edit Reason: url removed

#460220 - 01/04/18 02:19 AM Re: Is buying a home still the best first investment? [Re: Nasser]
Long Walk Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: Nasser
The beauty of real estate is that it is much easier to predict and to assess than stocks. If you're considering buying a home, you can easily conduct an investment analysis to determine exactly what that home is worth, and how much profit it can generate when managed correctly!

I am guessing that you are referring here to the income value of the property. And that might be true if only looking at cash profits from rental operations.

The accuracy of the prediction would only be as good as the underlying predictions on vacancy, rental rates, capital improvements, and operating expenses. It doesn't apply to many properties, but the threat of taking by eminent domain must also be considered.

I would be very careful to distinguish the value of future cash profits from future value of the real estate. Like stocks, it is next to impossible to predict the future value of real estate with any degree of certainty.

#460279 - 01/08/18 01:15 PM Re: Is buying a home still the best first investment? [Re: sakshidhawan]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Virginia
I think it all depends on individual circumstances.

As Longwalk says, a savings account is always the first step. I am shocked that the average, middle-class American only has $1,000 (or less) in savings. Can this actually be? My nephew who is a Junior in college has mentioned he wants to talk about real estate some time and his uncle and I have told him the first thing he is to do when he gets a job out of college is start a savings and a retirement account. Compounding over his lifetime would do more wonders than trying to catch up in your 50s. As Suze Ormann always said, "Pay yourself first!"

#460321 - 01/10/18 08:32 PM Re: Is buying a home still the best first investment? [Re: sakshidhawan]
rentdeal Offline

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Well, I believe that it depends on your level of experience in real estate investment. Buying a home is indeed the best first investment as it entails less risks and it naturally has additional benefits from any other property that you may buy as you simply can use it for yourself if no buyers ever wanted your property or if the economy of the country suddenly collapsed. Buying a home will always be a valuable asset for you to use. Yet, I believe that the house become more valuable if the location of the house and its surrounding environment are constantly increasing in value with special facilities and services to make it more attractive.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Diamond Concrete, OnTheDownload, weplanithk, prishtygroup, rhea_re
30253 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (Bernard, Z06Fanatic, OnTheDownload, AML, T.T.), 71 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Advertisement

Top Posters (30 Days)
dotcom_agents 16
T.T. 14
Trouble 13
gitmonee 10
estatereal 10
Vermont 9
Mr. Clean 8
Daniel1234 8