Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28527009
No new orders today 13144569
Stupid MLS comments. 3359323
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1235320
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1107801
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1062507
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 850744
Let's talk about our cars 702505
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 627725
Most common items found at an REO 625618
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 618206
REOTRANS 466546
EML 459235
Main Street 448934
asset val seminar in colorado 425425
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 356103
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 331583
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#454274 - 09/03/16 06:51 AM Is anyone still using Direct Mail in their mix??
anevilmarketer Offline

Loc: CALIFORNIA
Hey everyone,

New here, but I have been lurking around for a while.

I have been diving into the pro's and con's of the direct mail approach for real estate. Just wanted to know if it's working for you guys?

Have you hit any bumps in the road, or gotten frustrated with it?

If you haven't tried it, is there any reason you're avoiding it?

I know David Hunter here talks about having been successful with Every Door Direct Mail (EDDM), any other folks here care to comment?

Advertisements
#454317 - 09/06/16 01:06 PM Re: Is anyone still using Direct Mail in their mix?? [Re: anevilmarketer]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Ha! That's me! :-)

#454425 - 09/12/16 01:10 AM Re: Is anyone still using Direct Mail in their mix?? [Re: anevilmarketer]
Dat Moi Offline

Loc: Viet Nam
Derect maill always good bro and do more way to catch our client :)

#454459 - 09/14/16 07:28 AM Re: Is anyone still using Direct Mail in their mix?? [Re: anevilmarketer]
estatereal Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
tbh, mail has fallen to the side now a days. say you market a neighborhood and the 1 listing you get from 6 months farming is overpriced and crap condition. what do you do. take it because you are in to deep or wait another 6 months and hope that someone with a saleable listing calls you (priced right in good condition).

#454468 - 09/14/16 12:53 PM Re: Is anyone still using Direct Mail in their mix?? [Re: estatereal]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Virginia
I do direct mail. There's no method that will get you 100% or even 50%; but, you do a bit of all of it. Not as many agents do direct mail around here. It does put you right in front of your target without annoying them. Some will keep your postcard...nothing happens overnight. Don't you ever keep a company's advertisement (say for plumbing, electrical, etc.) because you liked what you saw and you might need them someday?

#454935 - 10/13/16 12:41 AM Re: Is anyone still using Direct Mail in their mix?? [Re: anevilmarketer]
LVA6000 Offline

Loc: Florida
When you say EDDM you mean the company that makes you print their flyers with them or you are talking about taking your mail piece to the post office yourself?

#454943 - 10/13/16 03:45 AM Re: Is anyone still using Direct Mail in their mix?? [Re: anevilmarketer]
ibsellin Offline

Loc: USA
The biggest team in my area puts out 110,000 pieces each send. I'm still calculating how many times they send a year. She's been in business forever and basically just owns her team. I think they print it all in house b/c I used to work with her former marketing manager.

They are not impressive pieces at all and they just list homes they've sold, no great call to action "Call us for free planning session" but I guess it works.. when you are sending 110,000 and have been a big name in the business for a decade I guess it works just being in front.

273 listings sold & 161 buyer sales in past 365 days!

Now I received 2 other pieces of direct mail from realtors since I moved into this new neighborhood 2 months ago..

1 was a really nice piece a jumbo thick UV coated post-card professionally done outlining some market stats with the two agents photos on it.

Another was absolute garbage a piece of paper basically with a wall of text.. LOL at that copy.

Here's what I consider when thinking of mailing:

Average Price of Home ($)
Average Turnover (%)
Homeowner Ratio (find on census bureau website)
Number of other agents sending
Anticipated yield
Cost of Annual mailing

So in the past I was mailing a really expensive area of DC but I wasn't getting anything. I was not thinking about all these things and for one I was a new agent with very few sales under my belt, but also this is what the zip code looked like and I lived in it for a few years:

$600,000 average sale
3% average turnover
40% home owner rate
5 other agents sending

So if you figure a 5000 mailing size 3% (150) would be selling and only 40% of those were at home to receive the mail (down to 60) and I was 1 one of 6 agents sending (down to 10 all else equal) I would have needed a 10% capture rate to snag 1 listing a year. Not to mention my copy was not great and I was going up against other senders who had worked up their name in the area. Now I see why that was a bad idea.

My next campaign will look like this as it will be close to where I am currently:

$450,000 average sale price
4.5% turnover
85% home owner rate
3 other agents sending (very sporadically and not great pieces)

So if I do 5,000 - 10x year you're looking at $14,500 investment.

225 will sell and 85% will be home (191)

The agents sending - 1 is well known but the other 2 aren't and it seems like they are all mailing quarterly and not so great call to actions. So if I can pull at least 1% of the listings I should be okay but if I can pull 2-3% of the listings it will be lucrative.

We'll see haven't started it yet..

#455897 - 12/15/16 12:32 AM Re: Is anyone still using Direct Mail in their mix?? [Re: ibsellin]
C21-Mike Offline

Loc: Miami, FL
Great breakdown ibsellin on your neighborhood stats. I can see that information being extremely helpful in determining a farm.

Have you started your marketing campaign yet? If so, hows it going so far?

#455950 - 12/19/16 03:52 PM Re: Is anyone still using Direct Mail in their mix?? [Re: anevilmarketer]
mark_villmyer Offline

Loc: CA
Just listed a house in decent neighborhood, sending out some pretty unique just listed post cards I got online. I used to send them every listing but didnt ever get much response, but I saw these new ones and feel they were pretty funny and could generate a good response. With everything in Real Estate its repetition and have a eye catching marketing piece.

Edited by Admin (12/20/16 12:23 AM)
Edit Reason: Link Removed

#455976 - 12/20/16 11:22 AM Re: Is anyone still using Direct Mail in their mix?? [Re: anevilmarketer]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Hey Mark, Care to share a picture of the postcards you're sending? What's your Lead Generation Magnet?

#457259 - 04/07/17 04:51 AM Re: Is anyone still using Direct Mail in their mix?? [Re: anevilmarketer]
AgentAlam Offline

Loc: Southern Ontario
Direct mail does work. I do not do direct mail yet but I see few BIG agents in my area using direct mails as part of their geographic farming mix. Most of them do get thrown in the trash or recycle bin anyways but some do get looked at. You need to have a good budget for it and need to keep doing it over and over and over. If you just do it once and expect some response, then might as well not do it at all.

#460101 - 12/15/17 12:21 PM Re: Is anyone still using Direct Mail in their mix?? [Re: David Hunter]
LiamOliver Offline

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: David Hunter
Hey Mark, Care to share a picture of the postcards you're sending? What's your Lead Generation Magnet?

David,

Here are a few examples of my favorite postcards for Realtors.

A few keys to Postcard Marketing:

• Postcard Targeting: You'll get better conversion rates by mailing to the right neighborhoods. Use bulk postcard marketing software to intelligently deliver your postcards to specific geographies based on demographic data. You'll get better conversion rates by mailing to the right neighborhoods.
  • Personalization: The most effective postcard design for realtors is to personalize every campaign. Try adding the neighborhood's name, and recent sales or offerings. Another trick is to include market trends, housing data, local testimonials, and other informative content.
  • Keep It Clear & Simple: You don't want to overwhelm people with any aspect of your postcards. Postcards for real estate agents should be clear and feature a clean design. The most important elements of your postcard will be your offer, your call to action and your contact information. Don't let those things get cluttered with complex design elements and wordy sales pitches.

One another thing to note is that your 20th campaign should always generate better results than your first postcard. Take these three steps to improve the postcard's conversion rate and ROI:

• Clear Call to Action: Motivate prospects to make an appointment.
  • Source Tracking: Use call tracking and website landing pages so that you know the source of every client. This way you can see exactly how many leads your postcard campaign generates.
  • Postcard Optimization: Take time to analyze the results of your campaign. Try testing different variations of your postcard.

The good news is that it's never been better to send postcard campaigns. You can have a campaigns designed, printed, targeted, and mailed for as low as 19 cents including postage.

Edited by LiamOliver (12/15/17 12:21 PM)

#460636 - 02/14/18 11:09 AM Re: Is anyone still using Direct Mail in their mix?? [Re: LiamOliver]
KammieRealtor Offline

Loc: CA, USA
Hi Liam,
Would you happen to know where we can order the postcards for the price you mentioned? Thanks!

#460637 - 02/14/18 11:25 AM Re: Is anyone still using Direct Mail in their mix?? [Re: KammieRealtor]
Long Walk Offline

Loc: New Hampshire
Originally Posted By: KammieRealtor
Hi Liam,
Would you happen to know where we can order the postcards for the price you mentioned? Thanks!
Kammie -- if you look at Liam's profile, you will see a link to his website and also his email address. I think you will find all you need there.

#460638 - 02/14/18 12:23 PM Re: Is anyone still using Direct Mail in their mix?? [Re: anevilmarketer]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Kammie, Liam's postcards are just like every other agents' on the block. Stand out and be different!

Everyone offers a free market update. Offer a Home Seller's Guide to get potential homeowners to raise their hands. You'll be the first in town to know they are even thinking about selling. Then you can sell yourself!

Also, does your office have a good color printer? If so, you can make your own giant postcards and mail via the USPS's Every Door Direct Mail.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
kmajors, alen111, deanne, Cupcakes, whoiamnow
30193 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Dimitri), 58 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Vermont 19
Trouble 17
estatereal 11
Z06Fanatic 10
Mr. Clean 8
newagent2028 8
T.T. 8
HChomat 7
Big Kahuna 5