Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Free Foreclosure Webinar

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28597998
No new orders today 13152886
Stupid MLS comments. 3367922
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1241441
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1110753
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1065304
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 854420
Let's talk about our cars 705845
Most common items found at an REO 630631
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 630026
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 621070
REOTRANS 468903
EML 459235
Main Street 452369
asset val seminar in colorado 427182
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 357938
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 333201
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#453418 - 07/13/16 04:42 PM Photography: Hire out or DIY?
lighthouselady Offline

Loc: Nova Scotia
I'm interested to hear from fellow agents what they do when it comes to photography. Do you spend the money on a professional photographer for your listings or do you piece it together yourself? If the later, have you taken any in person or online courses to up your game?

Advertisements
#453420 - 07/14/16 12:48 AM Re: Photography: Hire out or DIY? [Re: lighthouselady]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Don't underestimate yourself. As a Real Estate Practitioner, you're the one who should know best what is worthy of conveying in pictorial form; what features make that offering unique, and what defects "you" (as a Licensee) may be required to disclose to Buyers, and which a Photographer may not be aware of.

Real Estate photos are there to convey information . . . . not to win a photo contest; and as a Listing ages, and more information comes to your attention, would you call out the professional photographer to take photos to memorialize each new aspect that you detect or that's pointed out by prospective Buyers ?

#453429 - 07/14/16 12:00 PM Re: Photography: Hire out or DIY? [Re: lighthouselady]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
We did both. I would do many of the houses, but we also had a professional photography who would do houses too.

So, I guess it all depends. I think it's definitely worth getting a great photographer, but if you like doing photography then go at it yourself. Just don't take crappy pictures. haha

#453463 - 07/18/16 06:28 PM Re: Photography: Hire out or DIY? [Re: lighthouselady]
Broker John Offline

Loc: NC
We do a combination. Take pics ourselves using cheap $20 tripod and $100 camera that shoots RAW. Then we have virtual assistants that do post processing/photoshop editing. They send us the finished jpg and virtual tours and its great!
The end result is High Definition HDR pictures that really impress clients. I have done the photo editing myself, just takes a lot of time which can be better utilized! I also have a 3rd part website that hosts my virtual unbranded tours so they are kosher with my local MLS rules.

#453471 - 07/19/16 04:09 AM Re: Photography: Hire out or DIY? [Re: lighthouselady]
estatereal Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
would you represent yourself in court? (if you were not a fool??)
would you change your oil?
would you give yourself botox?
would you fly a fly a plane (if unlicensed)

if you are trying to be something you are not and can pay for a better job to be done then it would appear that money is trying to be saved. if you can pay someone to do a better job than you can do, then go for that if you want to be a professional at the highest level.

trump don't wax his own car does he?

#453485 - 07/19/16 12:55 PM Re: Photography: Hire out or DIY? [Re: lighthouselady]
gitmonee Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: LA California
shooting decent professional looking photos is not difficult.

You just need $400 in camera gear. If you are low volume, you can do it yourself.

It's all about opportunity cost. Is it cheaper to do it yourself or hire out?

If you are a listing machine, definitely hire out.

#453486 - 07/19/16 01:08 PM Re: Photography: Hire out or DIY? [Re: lighthouselady]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
I wouldn't pull my own teeth . . . . but I manage to floss them all by myself; and I still take the time to butter my bread and comb my own hair. Gosh, I even tie my own shoes; but ONLY because it would take too long to instruct a Professional Shoe Tyer.

#454009 - 08/18/16 09:06 PM Re: Photography: Hire out or DIY? [Re: lighthouselady]
goasya Offline

Loc: Karnataka,India
Do a combination.With your knowledge of what will sell better and depending upon how confident you are about the pictures.

#454010 - 08/18/16 11:18 PM Re: Photography: Hire out or DIY? [Re: lighthouselady]
Thuy Offline

Loc: Vietnam
Just learn how to make good photos and buy some appropriate camera if possible with wide angle lense.

And as being said, it is not a competition.

#454011 - 08/18/16 11:30 PM Re: Photography: Hire out or DIY? [Re: lighthouselady]
Thuy Offline

Loc: Vietnam
Anyway....some quick guide how to make a good quality photo for real estate job.

1. always make a photo from the corner of the room to have widest angle
2. use flush inside of a room, often even if its daytime (or turn on the lights)
3. don't breathe when you shoot
4. use higher aperture to increase depth of field (to not have blurred margins)

Edited by Gord0n (08/18/16 11:33 PM)

#454043 - 08/20/16 12:07 AM Re: Photography: Hire out or DIY? [Re: lighthouselady]
ibsellin Offline

Loc: USA
Definitely hire a professional for any listing that is in good condition. So I would not be taking professional photos of fixer uppers and places where the owners have an awful mess that they are not going to clean up. If the house is nice it makes it worth it.

A) it is going to help you sell it faster and for money. So if it is at 3% and your photographer is $200 that means it just needs to bring $7000 more to pay you back.
B) it is going to make YOU look better as the one who does good work.
C) it is something you can add to reasons why sellers should you use you.
D) I think it is the right thing to do for the sellers.

I understand if you are in a low priced market where homes run $100-200k it might not be in the budget, so in my market where almost everything is $300k+ I think it makes sense it is not that much. I want to focus on making my clients happy, building my portfolio and brand so I normally use a professional for any good looking listing.

#454175 - 08/29/16 08:17 AM Re: Photography: Hire out or DIY? [Re: lighthouselady]
WestMIMedia Offline

Loc: MICHIGAN
Either learn or pay a pro. We've felt every listing represents the agent. So we push to present the best public face we can. That has meant training local agents and teams to take and edit great photos, and arranging meetings with area photographers to cover more expensive listings (and any gaps in schedules). With such a visual world, listing photos get the showing.

#454418 - 09/12/16 12:51 AM Re: Photography: Hire out or DIY? [Re: lighthouselady]
Dat Moi Offline

Loc: Viet Nam
Iam still DIY, we dont need to hire a pro photograper

#454470 - 09/14/16 01:09 PM Re: Photography: Hire out or DIY? [Re: Dat Moi]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Virginia
I do it myself with a good Canon camera with additional flash. I take many, many views of the rooms and eliminate the worst ones. You have to be the judge of the photos. If it were an expensive home ($1+million), I get a professional and I can guarantee you it costs more than the $200 someone else quoted. I will say what I find annoying is the order of the photos agents put in the MLS. You'll get the front photo, maybe the rear, etc. but then the next one will be maybe a bathroom or the kitchen. The master bath is 5 photos from the master bedroom. I always start at the front door and work my way logically from the public rooms to the private rooms. With the public rooms, I try to get a piece of the adjoining room into the photo so viewers can see the logic - living room beside the dining room, dining room is adjoined to the kitchen instead of making viewers guess where the kitchen is in relation to the dining room, etc. It makes it more pleasurable to view the listing versus photos that are randomly posted.

#455238 - 11/01/16 05:04 AM Re: Photography: Hire out or DIY? [Re: VABroker]
Neal M Offline

Loc: Jackson
A good camera doesn't make a good photographer anymore than a good knife makes a surgeon. A property only has one chance to make a first impression and 95% of the time that will be done with the online photos. A professional real estate photographer will take photos of 500 to over 1000 properties a year. He/she will have many times the experience in taking photos as a real estate agent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
rhea_re, Preferred Group, Will Jones, nis, karynmurphy
30249 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Advertisement

Top Posters (30 Days)
dotcom_agents 16
T.T. 14
Trouble 14
gitmonee 10
estatereal 10
Vermont 9
Mr. Clean 8
Tim Bizz 7