Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Free Foreclosure Webinar

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28601472
No new orders today 13153714
Stupid MLS comments. 3368246
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1241701
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1111064
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1065465
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 854554
Let's talk about our cars 705954
Most common items found at an REO 631119
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 630082
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 621236
REOTRANS 469033
EML 459235
Main Street 452572
asset val seminar in colorado 427205
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 357963
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 333339
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#451620 - 03/28/16 08:52 AM A way to knock doors for wimps like me.
KW Gerald Offline

Loc: Texas, USA
Let me start out by saying that if you employ the below listed technique (or any variation of it), you better damn well back it up by being able to follow through with it.

I knocked on some doors in a neighborhood that had a recent pocket listing (NOT MINE). Now, let me preface this by saying I HATE DOOR KNOCKING. Does it work? YES, if you're that sort of person who can stomach it, which by the way, kudos to all you pavement pounders, you're much braver than I.

I dread door knocking with the sole purpose of asking for business. So I devised my own way of doing it to where I didn't have to ask for their business. All the pressure just went away. FOR ME, it goes like this:

"Good morning! How are you? I'm Gerald w/ Keller Williams (I hand them a card) and I'm going to be doing some community filming and photography for a property that's going to be coming up for sale in the near future, and I was wondering if you'd be offended if a panning shot included the exterior of your home?"

At this point, one of three things happen:
1. Yes
2. No
3. A Question back at me.

I've given them 3 options, out of which two of them are a positive response.

Most everyone said they were fine with it, at which I share more detail-specific info on what I will be filming and photographing, followed by a question asking for their opinion. For instance: "Mr. Prospect, you certainly know this neighborhood better than I. Tell me, if you were filming, what areas do you think would be of interest to a potential buyer?"

GETTING THEM INVOLVED REALLY BREAKS THE ICE, AND IT GIVES YOU PERMISSION TO ASK MORE QUESTIONS.

Once I have asked what I feel are enough questions, I thank them for their time and let them know that folks like them are the reason I am seeing great results by marketing properties in ways that most other Agents don't even begin to bother with.

It's amazing how even THAT statement above keeps the conversation going. They ask, "What do you mean? Don't most all other agents market like this?" Or, "Why is it that other agents don't do this type of marketing?"

PAYDIRT! Now you can feel free to proceed with your U.S.P. You can choose to ask closing questions or not, depending on your comfort with it.

The one's who don't answer I leave a handwritten note asking them to call me and let me know if it's ok for me to film a panning shot of the front of their home (I hand write one on blank paper with a sharpie, then photocopy. It looks like the original, and PEOPLE READ HANDWRITTEN STUFF.

When they call (and they DO CALL), I basically have the same conversation that I had with the others face to face.

I knocked on 45 doors (small subdivision). 31 answered. 3 are planning to sell by the end of the year, and THEY ASKED ME if I'd be interested in looking at their house when it gets closer to their timeframe. I sent 14 letters to the ones who didn't answer. ALL 14 RESPONDED. None of them expressed any interest in having a conversation about selling, but all of them asked more about video marketing, which allowed me to ask further questions.

Hey guys and gals. I'm not even all that well-rounded in sales skills. Nobody will confuse me with Grant Cardone or Zig Ziglar.

This is just how I DO IT. You may have a better way of doing it, or perhaps a different type of conversation starter in your marketing plan. Do what works for you.

I can say, for all you out there that are like me (dreading door knocking), if you knock on that door with a purpose OTHER THAN trying to get a listing you'll be surprised how many potential clients are out there.

As a matter of fact, I'll go so far as to say that out of those 45 I will definitely be referred out to other sellers. Just about all of these folks are now in my email drip campaign (I asked for permission once the conversation allowed me to ask).

If someone told you that you were going to contact 45 people and have 45 quality, well-timed conversations, out of which 42 of them gave you their permission to follow up with them and also email them seller-specific content would you consider this a success? Even if you didn't get a listing that day?

I sure do. And now I've created a reason to knock on doors without fear of rejection.

Advertisements
#451622 - 03/28/16 12:42 PM Re: A way to knock doors for wimps like me. [Re: KW Gerald]
gitmonee Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: LA California
interesting.

what do you have in your letter that makes them curious about video marketing?

What specific questions do they ask about filming?

I mean, google streetview already has a shot of their house.

#451625 - 03/28/16 03:42 PM Re: A way to knock doors for wimps like me. [Re: gitmonee]
KW Gerald Offline

[quote=gitmonee]interesting.

what do you have in your letter that makes them curious about video marketing?

What specific questions do they ask about filming?

I mean, google streetview already has a shot of their house. [/quote]

Here's my letter (sometimes I use slight variations):

My name is Gerald with Keller Williams. I'll be doing some filming for another home close by. Your home MAY get included in a panning shot.

[u]Is this alright with you?[/u] Please call and let me know.

Awaiting your response,

It's handwritten with a sharpie on white paper, which I can make copies of, and even the copies look really original.

Extremely informal, yet very effective in getting a response.

#451649 - 03/29/16 11:40 AM Re: A way to knock doors for wimps like me. [Re: gitmonee]
KW Gerald Offline

[quote=gitmonee]What specific questions do they ask about filming?
[/quote]

As far as specific questions, I get alot of:

"Does video really help all that much?"

and

"How much does THAT cost??

These are perfect conversation starters that can cast the agent in a different light and separate them from the pack, and you don't even have to go for a hard sell on them.

#451656 - 03/29/16 12:30 PM Re: A way to knock doors for wimps like me. [Re: KW Gerald]
KeepinitREALTOR Offline

Loc: Mountain West, USA
I like it. I'm getting ready to go out and pound pavement myself, but for the 8 inches of snow, I would have started today. Thanks for sharing

#451662 - 03/29/16 01:22 PM Re: A way to knock doors for wimps like me. [Re: KW Gerald]
gitmonee Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: LA California
good to know.

I already emphasize that I do video tours (not those crappy pan/zoom slideshows) on my marketing materials.
hopefully it will lead to inquiries.

#451680 - 03/30/16 07:12 AM Re: A way to knock doors for wimps like me. [Re: KW Gerald]
KW Gerald Offline

@gitmonee

It's amazing how many ways you can target a market that may have to sell before they even realize it. For instance...

Get a list of folks who are delinquent in their property tax bills, or people who are in the NOD stage.

You can simply drop by, knock on the door, introduce yourself, and let them know you'll be doing some filming for a listing that may be coming up in the near future. Ask them if it would be alright with them if you can include a panning shot of their home in the community section of the vid.

Now you're targeting folks who may not want to sell, but may need to sell regardless due to their financial situation.

Basically, the right people (you and the prospect in need), the right message (something totally different than the postcards they throw out), the right time (NOD or back property taxes weighing on their minds.

A recipe for success.

#451681 - 03/30/16 07:40 AM Re: A way to knock doors for wimps like me. [Re: KeepinitREALTOR]
KW Gerald Offline

[quote=KeepinitREALTOR]I like it. I'm getting ready to go out and pound pavement myself, but for the 8 inches of snow, I would have started today. Thanks for sharing [/quote]

Great! Please let me know how it works for you. It doesn't necessarily have to be video. It can be photography, it can be a community news and events newsletter.

I like video because I have a good working knowledge of it, and it sets me apart from the majority of agents in my market area.

#452000 - 04/14/16 10:43 AM Re: A way to knock doors for wimps like me. [Re: KW Gerald]
SilverLakeBlog Offline

Loc: Silver Lake, CA
Great advise. Like the input and perspective.
www.SilverLakeBlog.com

#452247 - 05/02/16 08:40 AM Re: A way to knock doors for wimps like me. [Re: SilverLakeBlog]
FastNewsletters Offline

Loc: USA
Interesting. I wrote a book about door to door prospecting, and I thought I'd seen every technique in the book. But this is a new one. Thanks for sharing. Nothing wimpy about taking a smart approach.

Any updates about getting listings using this idea?

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
dalebeshansky, InternGrinder, Diamond Concrete, OnTheDownload, rhea_re
30255 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 59 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Advertisement

Top Posters (30 Days)
dotcom_agents 16
Tim Bizz 14
Trouble 13
Vermont 12
gitmonee 10
estatereal 10
T.T. 9
Daniel1234 8