Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28790410
No new orders today 13176490
Stupid MLS comments. 3449487
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1295295
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1138580
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1092667
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 881518
Let's talk about our cars 729443
Most common items found at an REO 661215
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 646420
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 645869
REOTRANS 491160
Main Street 468355
EML 459240
asset val seminar in colorado 438365
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 377104
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 353408
Evalonline 300214
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261862
Matched Content
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#450906 - 02/29/16 03:45 PM How are expired listings still being prospected?
Granta Omega Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
I've been trying to prospect expired listings for this who week and only made 3 contacts. I go through the list every day and only about 1 in every 20 people have a phone number tied to their address, and I knock on doors for the rest, but the problem is there are never more than about 2 houses within a 15 minute drive from each other that expired that day, and a lot of the doors I knock on the people aren't home. When I am lucky enough to find a phone number to call, they have already talked to about 10 other agents that same day.

Advertisements
#450910 - 03/01/16 12:32 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
You have the best case scenario in front of you. 19 out of 20 expireds are not being worked because of the phone number situation. Here is what to do. Take your listing presentation and break it down into 15-20 different pages and mail 1one page to them each week for the first month. Then mail one every two weeks. Supplement the mailings with just listed and sold postcards. Persistance pays.

#450914 - 03/01/16 02:47 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Bigtoe]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Originally Posted By: Bigtoe
You have the best case scenario in front of you. 19 out of 20 expireds are not being worked because of the phone number situation. Here is what to do. Take your listing presentation and break it down into 15-20 different pages and mail 1one page to them each week for the first month. Then mail one every two weeks. Supplement the mailings with just listed and sold postcards. Persistance pays.

^^^Nice!!!

Have you also looked into listings that expired 6 months ago or longer? Lots of untapped listings that have been long since forgotten.

#450918 - 03/01/16 03:40 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Granta Omega Offline

Most people's advice is about building up business over the long term of 1-2 years. That method you suggested is something that will take 6 months just to get the listing and all those mailing costs from money I don't have will add up.

I'm not at all against building up business for the future, but when I'm not making hardly any money now and have more bills to pay than I can afford, I could really care less about whether or not I get someone's listing 6 months from now.

#450953 - 03/02/16 04:37 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: David Hunter]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: David Hunter
Have you also looked into listings that expired 6 months ago or longer? Lots of untapped listings that have been long since forgotten.

What I'm saying here is contact listings that have been expired for quite some time and see why they expired and if they're still interested in selling. Some of them may decide to go back on the market just because you called or showed up at their door. No one knows unless you try.

Also, if you need money to pay your bills (which it takes money to make money in this biz) then I'd urge you to get a job as an assistant with an agent.

#450975 - 03/02/16 08:49 PM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Granta Omega Offline

I make more money driving UBER than I would as a real estate assistant. The problem is the FSBO and Expireds just aren't really even there to market to. I also wonder if the agents with most of the listings actually got them by marketing to FSBO and Expired listings.

There are maybe 1 or 2 expired listings every day that I can actually get a hold of.

As far as sending mailings, the problem is it seems like a pretty bad investment to spend 6 months mailing expired listings when you get maybe a 1 percent response rate. That basically means you *might* get one listing for every 300 dollars you spend.

I appreciate everyone's help, but I probably give myself about 3 more months in this career before I call it quits. 1 client in 4 months of prospecting and having to pay the rest of my bills driving UBER just seems kind of a waste of time to me.

Last time I was in the business around 2007 there were about 10 to 15 people every day you that you could prospect to just from FSBO and Expired, and today it seems I'm lucky if there is 1 that I can actually get a hold of.

I've given my business card to friends, relatives, and told everyone on Facebook what I'm doing, called people from craigslist, Zillow, etc, and got 1 sale in 4 months and no active listings. This is just a joke.

#450998 - 03/03/16 08:46 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

It's not an easy business. Most people don't make it.

So you've gone back in the MLS about 6 months and a year, checked out all the expireds, looked them up to see if they relisted or sold, and you're saying there are none? Hmm... must be something in the water on the westside! hahaha Never had a problem on the eastside with finding expireds, especially ones that have long since expired and agents have forgotten all about.

And, don't chase the money. If you want to be in the real estate business then do what you got to do, even if it's becoming a licensed assistant and making a little less than with Uber.

Also, another idea. Go ask the agents in your office if they can refer you to any business. Maybe they have some buyer leads or rental leads they don't want. It doesn't hurt to ask.

#451000 - 03/03/16 09:28 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Granta Omega Offline

Sure, I've found listings that have expired more than 6 months ago. Now what? Very few of them have active phone numbers that I can look up. Every expired or FSBO I've talked to say they get about 50 to 100 pieces of mail that they just throw away.

#451013 - 03/04/16 12:07 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
I have been reading your posts and it seems your bigest problem is you. You have already given up on yourself and your prospects will pick up on that. Either get motivated or get out.

#451024 - 03/04/16 04:14 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
David Hunter Offline
Major Contributor

Well, you've said you have door knocked before... so go knocking on their door if they don't have a phone number. You just need to be doing what no one else is doing... and no one is doing this.

#451035 - 03/04/16 06:05 PM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Granta Omega Offline

I've prospected to hundreds of people whether in person, at their doors, by phone, or on the internet, and it led to 1 sale an no active clients. One of my buyers got pre-approved and out of the blue got cold feet and decided to rent instead. I've found a couple people who were FSBO who I followed up with ended up listing with other agents.

Would you be motivated still after results like that?

#451043 - 03/05/16 04:06 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
SeanGTheRealtor Offline

Loc: MA
Hello Granta:

Well I have to say sounds like you have had some bad experiences.There are many ways to look at them. One you can simply say to your self, self what am I doing wrong.

Then again maybe you feel you are doing nothing wrong, but just need to fine tune what you are doing right. Best advice would be to stay positive and try not to look on the bad side of things after all you said you did get one sale and that is most definitely a positive.Look at that one sale as your motivation.

I know this is a tough business, but so is life. Try and look on the good side of things instead of the bad. I have to say a lot of the feelings you have now pretty much we all get from time to time.

Motivation is part of our job, you have to figure out what motivates you. I personally like to look on the positive side of things.

#451048 - 03/05/16 07:51 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Granta Omega Offline

Part of it is life getting in the way as well. Whenever I plan to carry out some business prospecting ideas, something else gets in my way such as getting sick, someone wrecking my car and needing to get it fixed, getting a business phone call from someone I thought could be a potential client ending up wasting my time, etc.

Since this is anonymous, I guess there's no risk in admitting that not only business, but personal life is unbearable and I've been on the verge of suicide for several months now.

#451075 - 03/06/16 04:53 PM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Mr. G Offline

Loc: CA
I just read your post, and I don't want you to commit suicide. Whatever you do, don't hurt yourself.

I've been in the trenches in real estate and I know it's a hard business. It can be depressing, but if it gets so bad that you think of suicide, then you need to change direction and do something else with your life. Don't spend your time pursuing real estate if it's not rewarding for you.

I have read your other posts in this forum and I often thought "that guy seems desperate" and "that guy sounds depressed." If your bad attitude is coming through in an anonymous internet post, then I bet the people you meet while prospecting are picking up on your desperation and attitude. I used to be skeptical of all the "positive mental attitude" stuff that sales people talk about, but it's true that prospects (and others) will pick up on your attitude, and if it's not a good attitude then they will be uncomfortable working with you.

What I'm getting at is this: you will have a hard time in real estate--or any sales position--if the rest of your life is out of whack so that your desperation and depression are showing through. You need to set yourself straight whether that means making money, friends, romantic partner, change of environment, or different (non-real estate) work. Whatever you need to do in order to live a life you enjoy and feel is worthwhile, whatever that means to you.

When you are right with yourself, and you enjoy what you're doing, others can see it. In the context of real estate, prospects are going to sign up with the person who is naturally enjoying being an agent. Other people want to be around someone with "positive energy." If real estate (or life) gets you so depressed, then it's time to think about changing careers for your own good.

------------
Whenever you think about suicide, you can call one of these places for help:

CLEVELAND

The Free Clinic of Greater Cleveland

Crisis Intervention & Referral Service

Open Every Night from
8pm to Midnight

(216) 721-1115

CLEVELAND
Free Crisis Services

Sunday-Thursday 6pm-2am
Friday-Saturday 8pm-4am

We respect your privacy.
All calls are confidential and anonymous.
Our counselors receive
extensive hotline training.

(216) 251-7722

CLEVELAND

24-Hour Crisis Hotline

Cuyahoga County Community Mental Health Board

(216) 623-6888

#451076 - 03/06/16 05:13 PM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Granta Omega Offline

I don't dislike working in real estate to be honest, what I dislike as that the advertising and prospecting is not paying off, and the people I get are generally not telling me the truth. People lie to me about their credit, their financial situation, and other relevant facts that I'm only asking them to try and help them. Once someone makes an inquiry about needing a realtor, as soon as I find out they lied to me I delete them from my prospects list and tell them not to contact me again.

As far as going for other careers, I've been pretty much talked out of every career I've ever tried either because I have autism, because they think my attitude isn't right about it, or something else.

I was taken out of my placement for being a teacher because I pretty much admitted and showed I completely lost the passion for it and thought the career was dead end and full of people who are institutionalized into the education system.

Believe me, I've looked into other career opportunities as well. Even with my 2 degrees, 4 years experience in hotels, there is nothing out there that is paying enough for me to live off of.

I just feel like I've been lied to my whole life by people telling me if I work hard enough I can do whatever I want, and that has been simply not true for me.

I was in therapy for years and it didn't fix anything, and my meds aren't fixing anything either. I've tried many careers that I worked hard for but still couldn't be successful at. I have really no close friends in life because I don't like doing any of the things people do to make friends such as socializing and hanging out, and in addition my family is 800 miles away and they are living in one of the only parts on the east coast that I refuse to live at anymore.

I already talked to one of the Cleveland Crisis lines in the past and they didn't help me much. I'd say it's about over for me. I had many good times in the past, but everything I have to contribute to others is all in the past now, and my purpose in life is just about over. It's probably not going to happen today, tomorrow, or even this month, but I'm getting closer to the end where I'm finally giving up.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
PayLease, Westmalle, rihaansmith, theEman, Winnie Slayer
30648 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (RonnieEmz, graceo), 62 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Z06Fanatic 19
Trouble 18
Bigtoe 16
CathCoy 16
sualk54 13
gitmonee 10
Long Walk 8
RATKOS 8
graceo 6