Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28735295
No new orders today 13170416
Stupid MLS comments. 3424766
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1284094
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1130450
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1084102
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 871294
Let's talk about our cars 718817
Most common items found at an REO 656781
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 641732
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 639605
REOTRANS 486230
Main Street 463584
EML 459238
asset val seminar in colorado 435528
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 373944
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 348929
Evalonline 300214
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261861
Matched Content
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#463074 - 12/12/18 08:43 PM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Suburban Gal Offline

Loc: SE WI
Originally Posted By: Granta Omega
I tried for maybe a few more months after that and decided it was just simply ruining my life and to go onto another career.

However, I still stand with my opinions before that the whole "work hard and you'll be successful" mentality is really nothing but an oversimplification. I had put so much into it and got very little out of it.

That's how Pam felt and why she ended up leaving after 3 months and has no plans on coming back. It's also how many new other agents are feeling. They're doing what everyone else with experience is telling them to do and then some and getting little to nothing out of it.

Diane told us recently that her cold calling and door knocking efforts have resulted in absolutely nothing just like Chad's over at Prime Realty. They and others have also said the same thing about expireds and FSBOs too. It's very frustrating to the new agents these days to do all these things in which they're assured not one else or not that many other agents are doing only to get no where in the process.

Chad and others have been telling me about other, more creative things they've had to do to try and get business because everything they've been told thus far by experienced agents isn't working.

Advertisements
#463075 - 12/13/18 01:54 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Granta Omega Offline

Loc: Dallas, TX
I think really anyone who hasn't gotten into it and established a network has pretty much missed the boat.

My sister joined a team right away and is doing very well. I got invited to be part of teams, but as a buyer's agent, where they'd be giving me a bunch of lousy leads from Zillow and I'd have to do a bunch of following up trying to get them pre-approved, show properties, and hopefully get them to sell and get half the commission for that.

I suppose paying half the commission is worth it if you don't have to pay any money to advertise and do additional prospecting, but any team I joined where I was not allowed to be a listing agent was a deal breaker for me.

So, what I didn't mention here, is that the suicidal thoughts made their peak only one day after I wrote an offer and had it accepted. The reason for that is that within weeks I had a sale, now what? I had no listings and couldn't get them, and I had no new clients to work with after, and if I didn't have another sale soon, I would have worked 4 months to make $1700 by the time the title transferred on that house.

What really did it is when trying more and getting only lousy leads and crappy listings that weren't going to sell, I kept thinking does it really make sense to want to commit suicide over not getting real estate business, when it started when I had a deal closing at the time? The answer was that even if I had gotten 3 more listings the next week and offers all on them within a few months, those would eventually be finished, and there would be more slow periods where I would be feeling desperate and depressed, so it was time to call it quits.

When choosing software development, right before that I had to ask what career I would want to do if I were to take the "be your own boss" out of the equation. If real estate wasn't a job where you can set your own schedule and plan your own personal time, I wouldn't want to do it, and that made it a bad choice of a career. That's part of the reason I got out of teaching before that, as when I started the program I wanted to be a teacher and still work with kids, but by the end I only still wanted to do it to have summers off, as being a teacher became less about inspiring kids and more about meeting standards and milestones that were often unreachable.

#463079 - 12/13/18 09:08 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Suburban Gal]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
Originally Posted By: Suburban Gal
Many experienced agents come off as hostile and abrasive and make people like myself feel as if we're not wanted here and the fact we're not doing certain things or not trying hard enough isn't good enough and going to make us fail as new agents without taking into consideration what works for one person may not work for someone else and that there are many ways to succeed, not just one way. (This is where the judgmental and know-it-all attitudes come in.)

This is priceless. Ask for help and then berate those who offer help. I have watched you on this forum argue and ridicule everyone who has offered you advice, but we are the bad guys. Brand new with nothing accomplished and you know more than all of us.

One of the traits of every successful real estate agent is their ability to handle rejection, learn from it and move on the the next opportunity. Try it sometime.

#463086 - 12/13/18 02:00 PM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Suburban Gal]
Z06Fanatic Online   content

Loc: US
I tried for maybe a few more months after that and decided it was just simply ruining my life and to go onto another career.

However, I still stand with my opinions before that the whole "work hard and you'll be successful" mentality is really nothing but an oversimplification. I had put so much into it and got very little out of it.

That's how Pam felt and why she ended up leaving after 3 months and has no plans on coming back. It's also how many new other agents are feeling. They're doing what everyone else with experience is telling them to do and then some and getting little to nothing out of it.

Diane told us recently that her cold calling and door knocking efforts have resulted in absolutely nothing just like Chad's over at Prime Realty. They and others have also said the same thing about expireds and FSBOs too. It's very frustrating to the new agents these days to do all these things in which they're assured not one else or not that many other agents are doing only to get no where in the process.

Chad and others have been telling me about other, more creative things they've had to do to try and get business because everything they've been told thus far by experienced agents isn't working.

The problem is people expect to call expireds and FSBOs day 1 and have instant success - like everything else in life there's a learning curve. You need to learn to close on the phone, have a great listing presentation, follow up, work ethic, perseverance, etc. You need to equate this to going to the gym - a couple workouts won't do much but if you consistently go over time you'll see great results. I'm in my second year and listed 29 homes - 24 were expireds. I've slowly been improving my skill set but it takes thousands of calls, listing presentations, negotiations, objection handling, etc to get better. Real Estate will break most people - if you want it bad enough you'll push through the struggles and succeed but most dont.

#463090 - 12/13/18 02:55 PM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Z06Fanatic]
Granta Omega Offline

It wasn't really a day 1 success expectation. The problem was it was difficult to get a hold of a lot of people, and the fact that we've got to the point where everyone knows at least 3 other realtors that they have on the top of their mind before you. I'm just too much of a pessimist to be an effective agent though.

#463103 - 12/14/18 08:04 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Z06Fanatic]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Z06Fanatic

The problem is people expect to call expireds and FSBOs day 1 and have instant success - like everything else in life there's a learning curve. You need to learn to close on the phone, have a great listing presentation, follow up, work ethic, perseverance, etc. You need to equate this to going to the gym - a couple workouts won't do much but if you consistently go over time you'll see great results. I'm in my second year and listed 29 homes - 24 were expireds. I've slowly been improving my skill set but it takes thousands of calls, listing presentations, negotiations, objection handling, etc to get better. Real Estate will break most people - if you want it bad enough you'll push through the struggles and succeed but most dont.

Nail meet hammer. You are 100% on the money. Some complain about how hard and unfair it is while the rest of us just keep on doing what needs to be done. Congratulations on your success!

#463107 - 12/14/18 10:32 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]

It wasn't really a day 1 success expectation. The problem was it was difficult to get a hold of a lot of people, and the fact that we've got to the point where everyone knows at least 3 other realtors that they have on the top of their mind before you. I'm just too much of a pessimist to be an effective agent though.

You'll never have great success in anything with this mindset - hate to be harsh but that's just the reality. Everyone wants to be highly successful but they never see what it takes to get there, and most are unwilling to pay the price. Losers are pessimists - crying how hard things are, always thinking the worst case scenario - I can't stand it. Winners get pushed to their breaking point and keep moving forward - that's why they succeed. Be a winner for yourself and your family - you owe it to them. For me I decided at some point I wanted to become a great Agent - Real Estate has tried to break me down mentally and physically but it can't win. Whatever it throws my way I overcome - I have my down days but the next day I get back to business and win. Decide if you want to win or lose in life - most lose.

#463147 - 12/24/18 06:15 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Z06Fanatic]
Granta Omega Offline

Originally Posted By: Z06Fanatic

You'll never have great success in anything with this mindset - hate to be harsh but that's just the reality. Everyone wants to be highly successful but they never see what it takes to get there, and most are unwilling to pay the price. Losers are pessimists - crying how hard things are, always thinking the worst case scenario - I can't stand it. Winners get pushed to their breaking point and keep moving forward - that's why they succeed. Be a winner for yourself and your family - you owe it to them. For me I decided at some point I wanted to become a great Agent - Real Estate has tried to break me down mentally and physically but it can't win. Whatever it throws my way I overcome - I have my down days but the next day I get back to business and win. Decide if you want to win or lose in life - most lose.

It definitely does carry over to other lines of work. For example, other developers who looked at my work have said I'm on the right track and could be eligible for an entry level position soon, but my hangup is that the average salary here in Dallas for that is about $76,000 per year, and I'm partly in the mindset of if that it is something I'm capable of doing, there is some sort of catch, because I don't believe I'm good enough to be worth that kind of salary, so I keep looking for the catch and have been trying to find ways to review my work and think about what is bad about it that will confirm my theory that I'm really not going to amount to that kind of success.

I just don't think I'm able to change anymore. Old habits are hard to break.

#463163 - 12/26/18 10:40 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

I just don't think I'm able to change anymore. Old habits are hard to break.

You are not old enough to have old habits. Look what you have already accomplished just recently, project that forward and your new career is just waiting for you to take it. You are one of the lucky ones, you found your niche. Most don't.

#463177 - 12/28/18 01:19 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Bigtoe]
Suburban Gal Offline

Originally Posted By: Bigtoe
This is priceless. Ask for help and then berate those who offer help. I have watched you on this forum argue and ridicule everyone who has offered you advice, but we are the bad guys. Brand new with nothing accomplished and you know more than all of us.

That's how you may see it, but, hey, I'm just calling it like I see it.

#463178 - 12/28/18 01:23 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Bigtoe]
Suburban Gal Offline

Originally Posted By: Bigtoe
Brand new with nothing accomplished and you know more than all of us.

See. This is exactly what I mean. You have exactly no idea what I have or have not really accomplished as a new agent yet here you are telling me I've accomplished nothing because you feel I haven't accomplished anything based on my post history.

#463179 - 12/28/18 01:32 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Granta Omega]
Suburban Gal Offline

That's exactly what I and the other new agents are facing in our prospecting efforts. They've already spoken to 2 or 3 other newer agents doing the exact same thing you're doing (cold calls, door knocking, etc...) and have made up their mind. When you try to talk to them any further, it does absolutely no good. And when it's someone who just doesn't want to sell altogether and potentially rent, they get impatient and mad even. They just want you gone.

#463180 - 12/28/18 07:14 AM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Suburban Gal]

That's exactly what I and the other new agents are facing in our prospecting efforts. They've already spoken to 2 or 3 other newer agents doing the exact same thing you're doing (cold calls, door knocking, etc...) and have made up their mind. When you try to talk to them any further, it does absolutely no good. And when it's someone who just doesn't want to sell altogether and potentially rent, they get impatient and mad even. They just want you gone.

I get where you're coming from but you need to stick with it. You'll get better at speaking with people, better at closing for an appointment, and these people will meet with you and choose you to represent them. It's not easy to learn these skills and keep a positive attitude from the start that's why very few actually do it consistently, but in the same respect that's why you can make a very high hourly if you stay in there.

#463185 - 12/30/18 03:17 PM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: Z06Fanatic]
ALSTIEL Offline

Loc: Pa.
Back in the mid eighties I went to work for a Management Consulting Company in their sales division. I was horrible at it over the first six months but I stuck with it. I kept learning from the old guys that had been at this gig for decades and slowly one contract happened, then a second, and I was getting better and better at it as the months passed.

I didn't know it at the time but two years later I was the number one Rep for the company. How I found out that I was number one in the company was a divisional manager decided he was going to spend a week with me, trying to figure out what I was doing that made me so successful.

It wasn't that I was some kind of superstar salesman, it was as they say a Blind Squirrel does find a nut once and a while. I just learned early on that I needed to put more bodies in front of me than the average sales rep to make any money. The thing was as the contracts got easier and easier to acquire I never lost the attitude that I had to work harder than everyone else.

Remember EVERY ONE in your brokerage has been exactly where you are, when they first started out.

Just change your attitude to I can do this, instead of the woe is me attitude you have now.

My broker asks all the new agents to read the book Millionaire Real Estate Agent by Gary Keller. Gary Keller is the Keller in Keller and Williams Real Estate Company. The first seventy to eighty pages is about having the right positive attitude to be a successful real estate agent. I got my copy at my local Barnes and Noble for $25.

#463258 - 01/08/19 12:46 PM Re: How are expired listings still being prospected? [Re: ALSTIEL]
Suburban Gal Offline

Originally Posted By: ALSTIEL
Remember EVERY ONE in your brokerage has been exactly where you are, when they first started out.

I agree, but many of them have also been doing this since the early 2000s or prior. Some even had a parent or parents who were real estate agents. They're very well-established and spend little to no money marketing and advertising themselves because 100% or close to 100% of their business is repeat clients and referrals. They started out at a time when people still walked into and called the brokerages. Business largely came to them not the other way around. The vast majority of them don't use or see a need to use social media, like Facebook. All of the older, more experienced agents are finding it hard to relate to the younger, less experienced ones because they didn't have the same struggles we do in a modern, digital age. Their advice works for a time when the internet didn't exist or was in its infancy. It doesn't work for the present day. They find it hard yo mentor us younger, less experienced agents.

Originally Posted By: ALSTIEL
Just change your attitude to I can do this, instead of the woe is me attitude you have now.

I've always told myself I can do this and will like it if I can really get off the ground doing it, but no matter what I do or how hard I try it's just not working out too well for me. And that incudes many other newer agents these days too. We don't have a 'woe as me' attitude. We have a 'how the heck do we make it work?' kind of attitude.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
stacyanne, Jeff1313, Lisa Taylor, deb59, Jeremy L. Lacey
30534 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (barb43), 67 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
gitmonee 13
David Hunter 12
Z06Fanatic 12
Bigtoe 12
Trouble 10
ALSTIEL 8
Lucky Leonardo 7
realestategreat 7
Suburban Gal 7