Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28528402
No new orders today 13144690
Stupid MLS comments. 3359516
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1235413
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1107881
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1062611
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 850855
Let's talk about our cars 702670
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 627851
Most common items found at an REO 625796
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 618299
REOTRANS 466650
EML 459235
Main Street 449027
asset val seminar in colorado 425527
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 356170
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 331652
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#435594 - 04/27/14 05:28 AM DOOR KNOCKING - Prospect prospect prospect!
agentjunior Offline

Loc: Candian EH!
I just wanted to get a thread going about DOOR KNOCKING and everyones knowledge, experience etc - get a discussion going as large as Luckys cold calling thread.

Im a big phone guy but have introduced door knocking into my afternoons last week and it has been great. Everyone is DNCL these days so I find myself going through 20-30 streets on any given day when on the phone. Its getting a bit much and its a much better contact ratio in person!

Im trying to work on a more direct approach if to a yes or no to them thinking of selling…

Anyone care to share their scripts, tips etc

Bill Nasby seems to the KING of this stuff with his script but it seems so cheesy to use.

Look forward to a great discussion

Advertisements
#435595 - 04/27/14 07:05 AM Re: DOOR KNOCKING - Prospect prospect prospect! [Re: agentjunior]
smg Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: United States
I use a bit of the Bill Nasby piece. I knock on doors where we had a sale recently. I tell them we just had a sale in the neighborhood, when(not are you) are you going to sell? I take recent sales from the neighborhood and ask if they would like to be updated periodically. I have had some success, just closed one recently. Biggest problem in all of this is having the discipline to stick to it. I find myself doing other activities to keep me from prospecting. If you knock, you will get leads, presentations, listings and eventually closing. It is all numbers, one just has to keep at it.

#435597 - 04/27/14 10:50 AM Re: DOOR KNOCKING - Prospect prospect prospect! [Re: smg]
agentjunior Offline

[quote=smg]I use a bit of the Bill Nasby piece. I knock on doors where we had a sale recently. I tell them we just had a sale in the neighborhood, when(not are you) are you going to sell? I take recent sales from the neighborhood and ask if they would like to be updated periodically. I have had some success, just closed one recently. Big[b]gest problem in all of this is having the discipline to stick to it. I find myself doing other activities to keep me from prospecting. If you knock, you will get leads, presentations, listings and eventually closing. It is all numbers, one just has to keep at it.[/b]
[/quote]

Thats what Im finding myself as well - sticking too it.

What are some numbers that people are getting i.e. - how many doors knocked until you get something of substance of average

My approach has been to bring the most current listing, approach the door that Im providing marketing info on their neighbourhood (everyone wants to know what their neighbours house sold for) and if they have any plans on moving…and I more or less follow the Mike Ferry script after that opener…

I cold call in the mornings and I am usually on the street from 2PM onwards for a few hours 6 days a week. Eek.

#435600 - 04/27/14 05:23 PM Re: DOOR KNOCKING - Prospect prospect prospect! [Re: agentjunior]
gitmonee Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: LA California
git money!!

go git em.

#435607 - 04/28/14 07:10 AM Re: DOOR KNOCKING - Prospect prospect prospect! [Re: gitmonee]
agentjunior Offline

Originally Posted By: gitmonee
git money!!

go git em.

LOL - Yes that is the plan...

#436700 - 06/11/14 04:05 AM Re: DOOR KNOCKING - Prospect prospect prospect! [Re: agentjunior]
BrianMI Offline

Loc: Michigan
I think Nasby's approach is the Mike Ferry approach. It sounds cheesy but it's designed to be easy to implement consistently.

Consistency = Success.

That being said, I find that the script is rough on the prospect. Like taking rough sandpaper and rubbing it all over the "skin" of their mental landscape. To improve the scripts you'd need to:

A) Answer the Question in the Prospects Mind - that question is "Why is this guy here?"

B) Do So In a Way That's Easy to Receive - when the "why is this guy here" question is answered, they need to think "Oh, THAT makes sense. Kinda cool." instead of, "Are you kidding me? I hate this person." <<< This is the tricky part.

C) Retain Simplicity - the original Mike Ferry script taught by Bill Nasby works becuase it's infinitely easy to implement on a consistent basis. Any improvement needs to retain this key metric.

Here's my suggestion for an improvement to the script flow which I'll be implementing from now on.

Preliminary: Find a home that sold in the area. As close to the door knocking zone for that day as possible. Memorize the address.

Improved Script...

QUESTION #1

Good Evening, I'm Brian with Re/Max. The home over on 123 Main Street just sold this week for $222,000. The buyers who I'm working with were not able to get that home though and the other homes listed with agents don't seem to be quite rite for them. Based on what I know about what they are looking for, your home seems like it might be a good fit. So....

...WHEN ARE YOU PLANNING ON MOVING?

(say it with a bit of a laugh in your voice - like you know that this will be received as a crazy/wacky/out-of-this-world question)

[Listen to whatever they say. Smile and nod]

QUESTION #2

VERSION A(if they say they are NOT moving): Oh, I don't even blame you. This is a really nice area HOW LONG HAVE YOU LIVED HERE?

VERSION B (if they say they ARE planning on moving): At the end of the summer. That's great! HOW LONG HAVE YOU LIVED HERE?

[Listen to Their Answer]

QUESTION #3

Where did you move from before?

[LISTEN TO THEIR ANSWER]

QUESTION #4

So if you DID/DO move, where would you be going?

[LISTEN TO THEIR ANSWER]

QUESTION #5 (Only if they still indicate they are moving after Question #4)

WHEN WOULD THAT BE?

I'll post more about closing on a resume later, but notice how Question #1 is improved.

>> It quickly establishes in the prospect's mind WHY you are there - "This guy can't find the right home for his buyers and thinks that MY home might work for them.

>> It naturally lowers their guard with subtle flattery - "Of COURSE he thinks my house would work for his buyer. Why WOULDN'T it? It's a GREAT HOUSE deserving of a great person to live in it. A great person just like me. I like me. This agent likes me because he likes my house. He likes me so I like him. I'll give him a pass for knocking on my door. I won't be mean - THIS time.

>> It Provides Excuse - you don't come across as looking for a listing, you come across as trying MUCH HARDER THAN ANY OTHER AGENT to achieve the goals of your buyer client. This places the thought in their mind that if you worked for THEM in either buying or selling a home, you would work just as hard for them. Now you're the "hard working" guy.

The rest of the questions naturally flow from there and flush out whether or not the person is a real listing prospect.

Once you've identified the prospect, the real work of following up for 6-12 months begins.

Edited by BrianMI (06/11/14 04:08 AM)
You can find me on Facebook here. Click the 'Like' button and get priority updates from my real estate prospecting blog where you'll discover the truth about cold calling and follow up. You can also search for Brian Kurtz on Twitter.

#436741 - 06/12/14 12:01 PM Re: DOOR KNOCKING - Prospect prospect prospect! [Re: BrianMI]
ramanda Offline

Loc: MA
As far as the first question, i shorten it up a bit and just say that i have buyers who are looking to purchase a home in the area and do they know anyone who might be thinking of selling in the next year? Usually they say no. I then say what about you are you thinking of moving at all? And then i take it from there pretty much the same way you have it. In the town i am doorknocking, i do have buyers so i am not lying.How has your success been with doorknocking? I'd love to share. PM me if you'd like.

#436744 - 06/12/14 02:27 PM Re: DOOR KNOCKING - Prospect prospect prospect! [Re: agentjunior]
gitmonee Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: LA California

These "I have a buyer" scripts seem to easily lead to a convo ending in-
"you have a buyer? great. bring them. But I won't put my house on the market."

In that case, I guess I would say-
in case your house is not a perfect fit, would you consider mass marketing your home to find a buyer?

#436751 - 06/13/14 12:52 AM Re: DOOR KNOCKING - Prospect prospect prospect! [Re: gitmonee]
ramanda Offline

Loc: MA
Great reply gitmonee. I haven't run into too many people saying bring them buy. Usually they want to start talking about their house and all the things they are doing or plan on doing to get it ready to sell if they plan on selling. Then we talk about the market etc. I'll definitely use that if i get that response. Thanks!

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
CShaw, kmajors, alen111, deanne, Cupcakes
30194 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (Z06Fanatic, HChomat, 1 invisible), 47 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Vermont 17
Trouble 17
Z06Fanatic 10
Mr. Clean 10
estatereal 10
T.T. 9
HChomat 7
newagent2028 7
Big Kahuna 5