Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 29223211
No new orders today 13245045
Stupid MLS comments. 3535137
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1340010
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1181998
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1125534
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 910602
Let's talk about our cars 762168
Most common items found at an REO 689137
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 673895
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 667851
REOTRANS 512748
Main Street 498893
EML 459242
asset val seminar in colorado 454716
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 390703
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 368202
Evalonline 300215
Land America 285056
Mainstreet 261863
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#415535 - 11/11/12 02:47 AM Looking for some suggestions on marketing (and selling!) my first listing
BT5150 Offline

Loc: WI
I got my first listing about 2 months ago and I'm looking for some suggestions on how to get the word out about it and sell it, besides simply putting it on the mls and waiting for the phone to ring or spending a bunch of money that I don't have to spare on advertising.

First, here's a little about the house that I'm selling, so you know what I'm working with: asking price is $119,900 (lowered recently at the seller's request from $129,900) the house is one that someone is "flipping" and I'd have to say that they did a very nice job on it, they've done quite a few of them and apparently know what they are doing. Its a 3 bedroom, mostly brick ranch that's been pretty much completely redone/refreshed inside and out. It was a foreclosure that wasn't in that bad of shape, it just needed a lot of updating. Both bathrooms are new (new tile, fixtures, etc) it has hardwood floors that have been refinished and look great, new roof, new lighting fixtures, everything freshly painted in neutral colors, etc. I went over the place very closely, looking for things that weren't 100% done and/or done incorrectly and couldn't find ANY issues, this place is truly "move-in ready"!

So far, as far as selling the place, I put it on the mls about 2 months ago, I made what our company calls "pretty sheets", one page of pictures and info on the house that I have in a plastic box mounted on the sign in front. I have had to refill the box several times so far. I have also held 4 open houses, with only a few people coming through who didn't seem particularly serious, I got the feeling that most were people who lived nearby who saw my signs and wanted to see how the house looked now. I have had 4 showings through other realtors who saw it on the mls or that their buyers saw on Realtor.com or somewhere like that. I asked all of them to give me feedback and heard back from only 2 of them, even though I called the other two a few times asking about the showings. The feedback was positive, one said that their buyer liked it a lot but that they liked another somewhat higher priced home nearby a little more. Both agents said they thought it was fairly priced. (at the original higher price, too) Yet, no offers came. All four showings were in the first 3 weeks on the market, since then, nothing!

So, I'm looking for any ideas anyone has to keep getting the word out and to get this place sold. It was a 6 month listing, so I have about 3 1/2 months left. I also want to be able to show the sellers that I'm actively working on selling the place, not just throwing it on the mls and waiting for the phone to ring, so that if it doesn't sell, hopefully I'll get an extension. I'm looking forward to hearing ANY ideas and would be happy to answer any questions if you need more information. Thanks!!!

Advertisements
#415536 - 11/11/12 03:03 AM Re: Looking for some suggestions on marketing (and selling!) my first listing [Re: BT5150]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Old Dominion
Hold an agents only open house. Advertise it to agents through your MLS. Have it in the middle of a workday and have plenty of BBQ sandwiches or grinders or whatever is a local favorite. Or advertise you will be giving away 3 $50 gift cards.

Make sure your interet exposure is working for you. Your pics are key. Trulia and homes.com help attract buyers. Use Craigslist too Try Zillow. There are a bunch of others.

Make sure your flipper is priced right. Many times the market knows you r client has flipped the house. Buyers and agents might look elsewhere, sensing he is after a quick profit after a 'lipstick' rehab job.

In my experience the best flippers do great work and underprice the homes to market, making the homes irresistable. Ususally they end up paying most or all buyer ccs too.

You can also increase the coop sales agent commission. It should be at least 3%. Many times buyers agents will avoid a home at under 3%.

Good luck.

I am less enthuiastic about staging, but there is something to be said for stuff like that if the home could benefit from it.

#415541 - 11/11/12 04:00 AM Re: Looking for some suggestions on marketing (and selling!) my first listing [Re: BT5150]
BT5150 Offline

Loc: WI
Thanks for the advice! I will try scheduling a broker's open for sometime in the week after next. The commission is another good idea, right now I'm at 2.4% on both sides, that's common in my market, although quite a few are also at 3%, too.

The house was very well done, I used to do carpentry and rehabbing work, not flipping houses but being hired by people to do remodeling projects and I know the difference between good jobs and not-so-good ones and this house has been well done, everything was taken care of that needed updating and it was done well, it really looks good inside and out.

As far as the web presence goes, I will have to look around again, I looked at the big sites when I first listed it and it was on all of them and looked good to me, but I'd be wondering what other people here would look for. Our mls lets us have up to 25 pictures and I used all 25. I have a very good camera that lets me take nice wide angle pics, too. In my opinion, the pics look better than a lot of the listings I see out there.

I will talk to the sellers about lowering the price some, too. I know that when they recently totaled up what they had in the place, it was a little less than they had budgeted for, so they're actually sitting in a good spot with this house and I think they do have room to lower the price and still make a decent profit.

Edited by BT5150 (11/11/12 04:01 AM)

#415589 - 11/12/12 08:06 PM Re: Looking for some suggestions on marketing (and selling!) my first listing [Re: BT5150]
Malok Offline

Loc: Kentucky - in a barn!
Good pictures are hugely important. And as mentioned above, holding an agent's open house can really help as well.

#415596 - 11/12/12 10:25 PM Re: Looking for some suggestions on marketing (and selling!) my first listing [Re: Malok]
Thunderstruck Offline

Loc: Townsville, Australia
I agree pictures are important.

Get a important price reduction every week or the listing is getting stale. Will you do it? It doesn't matter what other agents say about the price, unless they make an offer. No offers, it's over priced for the buyers. Over 92% of the buyers are are working with agents who use the MLS. Thus, their all comparing the best value for the buck.

#415615 - 11/13/12 05:13 AM Re: Looking for some suggestions on marketing (and selling!) my first listing [Re: BT5150]
davelemon Offline

Loc: Vancouver, Canada
Price in today's market is the best marketing strategy...make sure that your clients know when to price reduce as they don't want to chase the market down.

#415832 - 11/17/12 05:56 PM Re: Looking for some suggestions on marketing (and selling!) my first listing [Re: BT5150]
RaquelMangual Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, PA, USA
Make sure you tell everyone you know about it. Family, friends, your neighbors, church and colleagues. They might know someone who is interested in buying in that neighborhood. Send a blast email of the MLS listing or give them flyers, anything with the basic house info and your contact number on it.

#416269 - 11/29/12 11:40 PM Re: Looking for some suggestions on marketing (and selling!) my first listing [Re: BT5150]
Jack Liebsch II Offline

Loc: Jupiter, Florida
If you only had 4 showings in roughly 2 months, I would have to guess the main problem is price. Feel free to share the MLS# so that a few of us can provide you an even better perspective.

#416279 - 11/30/12 02:12 AM Re: Looking for some suggestions on marketing (and selling!) my first listing [Re: BT5150]
Nl94568 Offline

Loc: Phoenix
There's a new program from USPS called Every Door Direct Mail. EDDM - you can mail to he surrounding neighborhood for 14.5 cents ea. and you don't need a database or labels. You can mail 200 postcards for $30 in postage to get some traction for your listing. Generally speaking, people like to have people they know living close by. Here's a link to an article on Active Rain about it.
http://activerain.com/blogsview/3508491/what-is-eddm-every-door-direct-mail

Just listed and just sold postcards are making a huge comeback because they work at growing your business.

I also agree with the prior post about working your sphere. There's always good to be found in your sphere and being in touch.

#416368 - 12/02/12 06:45 PM Re: Looking for some suggestions on marketing (and selling!) my first listing [Re: BT5150]
Malok Offline

Loc: Kentucky - in a barn!
@ Nl94568 - yea, the EDDM is a really great way to pin point a target market and push some traditional marketing efforts that way.

#416385 - 12/02/12 07:07 PM Re: Looking for some suggestions on marketing (and selling!) my first listing [Re: Malok]
Scintillion Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
Originally Posted By: Malok
@ Nl94568 - yea, the EDDM is a really great way to pin point a target market and push some traditional marketing efforts that way.

Traditional marketing efforts such as that seem to work REALLY well for many agents. Definitely recommended.

#421507 - 03/12/13 03:35 AM Re: Looking for some suggestions on marketing (and selling!) my first listing [Re: BT5150]
Joe Hayden Offline

Loc: Louisville, Kentucky
Please post an update on how things went...

#421558 - 03/13/13 02:54 AM Re: Looking for some suggestions on marketing (and selling!) my first listing [Re: BT5150]
SarahC Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hi BT5150,

Have you thought about doing a virtual tour with the photos you've already taken and posting it to YouTube? This helps with exposure and will show your client the extra effort you're taking.

Upload your photos | Upload your script | Publish your tour

Watch this two minute demo http://tours.v3productions.ca/public/vtour/display/48792?a=1

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
esedndwi, Regis, Adrian75K, Semi, Breezy LL
31035 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (OrlandoAgent, 1 invisible), 101 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Z06Fanatic 20
Lucky Leonardo 15
CathCoy 14
realestategreat 13
T.T. 12
OahuAgent 10
RATKOS 7
Trouble 7
Semi 6