Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28882008
No new orders today 13185809
Stupid MLS comments. 3488615
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1308907
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1150805
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1105225
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 892154
Let's talk about our cars 740701
Most common items found at an REO 669982
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 656525
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 653054
REOTRANS 499144
Main Street 477083
EML 459241
asset val seminar in colorado 443425
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 381825
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 359814
Evalonline 300214
Land America 285054
Mainstreet 261863
Matched Content
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#416551 - 12/05/12 11:58 PM Googles new investment in real estate site
broker Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cary, NC
www.homelight.com yet another lead generator... but this time google ventures is backing it. old "pay for a referral" business model.

Advertisements
#416574 - 12/06/12 07:33 AM Re: Googles new investment in real estate site [Re: broker]
johnnyloans Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Los Angeles ,CA
Not another one
Greater Los Angeles Area
www.PalmdaleRealestate.biz
Have Car Will Travel
For Those That Google JohnnyJamesBroker@gmail.com

#416938 - 12/15/12 09:20 AM Re: Googles new investment in real estate site [Re: broker]
Kate Jones Offline

Loc: India
Hi,
This is a new information for me, I want to know more about it in detail.Please post more information for the readers.

#416992 - 12/17/12 01:01 PM Re: Googles new investment in real estate site [Re: broker]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
I guess they haven't heard that these sites don't make any money.

http://www.bloodhoundrealty.com/BloodhoundBlog/?p=16252

#416993 - 12/17/12 01:55 PM Re: Googles new investment in real estate site [Re: broker]
broker Offline
Major Contributor

Both Trulia and Zillow are making tens of millions of dollars per year. They have gone public and have tens of millions more to invest. They are making money but are not profitable because of the business model they are pursuing. They can easily flip a switch and go out and buy/start agencies and ramp up revenue. Most of their money comes from the mortgage lead side now but they may alter their model as times change.

This HomeLight is different and is trying to pull consumers in via a method of ranking agents and then selling referrals. There is also a company called NeighborCity trying to do the same thing and they have a lawsuit for mls data access. The Google aspect is what gets HomeLight attention.

Back to my continuing argument about paying for referrals and the abuse thereof. Tell these folks (and all brokers) you will pay $10 for a lead and $100 for a referral and they can not survive because all they do is skim. Capturing and passing along a name should not warrant a referral fee - no matter who you are. This argument will gain steam over the coming months/years especially if NeighborCity wins their case. It is likely though that brokers may selectively try and blacklist these sites which won't work from a DOJ standpoint.

#416995 - 12/17/12 02:18 PM Re: Googles new investment in real estate site [Re: broker]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Originally Posted By: broker
". . . They are making money but are not profitable . . ."

Gosh, that sounds like quite a contradiction.

Do you mean that while they might be generating revenues; their operating expenses still exceed their income ?

That's still losing money.

#416997 - 12/17/12 02:46 PM Re: Googles new investment in real estate site [Re: broker]
broker Offline
Major Contributor

yes.. of course. you can make money but still not be profitable - and pursue a business... especially if you are a public company sitting on hundreds of millions of cash from an IPO. That's the way our great economic system works here in the US - you can lose money and people will buy your stock. Cash flow and potential. Heck, you can loose tens if not hundreds of millions a year and raise 100 billion or so like Facebook.

#417001 - 12/17/12 03:24 PM Re: Googles new investment in real estate site [Re: broker]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

When I was in Business School, that would have been called Operating at a Loss; generating a Negative Return on your Investment . . . . or simply, Losing Money.

Regardless of whatever euphemism you want to employ, it's NOT "making money". "Making money" is when, after all is said and done, you have more money than what you started with . . . . hence you MADE some money, not just spent it.

#417004 - 12/17/12 04:02 PM Re: Googles new investment in real estate site [Re: broker]
broker Offline
Major Contributor

To many people generating revenue = making money. To say that Zillow and Trulia are not "making money" is incorrect. They are making millions. Making money and turning a profit are two different things. Semantics.

But please don't get distracted from the bigger picture - Google investing in a company in the real estate space.

#417005 - 12/17/12 04:06 PM Re: Googles new investment in real estate site [Re: broker]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

I was just attempting to understand what you're trying to say.

Raising capital in an IPO is hardly the same thing as manufacturing a product or marketing a service in order to generate income; but that money sure is easier to squander.

You only get one chance at an IPO; it's not a part of the on-going business model. Plus, the proceeds from an initial offering appear on the Balance Sheet; not the Operating Statement.

#417010 - 12/17/12 04:58 PM Re: Googles new investment in real estate site [Re: broker]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
Originally Posted By: broker
They are making millions.

But not enough to keep the investors on the hook for much longer. The pot of gold never materialized and the investors are now just learning the truth, which is why zillow is being sued by it's investors for for being misled about their profitability.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/50056512/ns/...n/#.UM9N4qPBKVM

So now the fear of the fear mongers is these companies will buy up brokerages and take over the market. Let them find out what is really involved with selling homes. They believe, like most of the public, that no work is needed to sell houses.

I say, good luck to them and I welcome the challenge. They don't have a clue.

#417014 - 12/17/12 06:30 PM Re: Googles new investment in real estate site [Re: broker]
broker Offline
Major Contributor

Real estate is a BIG industry. 2nd biggest industry in the world. Every day a little more control is lost by the status quo brokerage model. Change will happen and agents will adapt or leave the business. Right now these big players are not concerned with brokerage - except maybe referrals... as is Google with this investment. Easy money for little or no work.

#419247 - 01/29/13 08:28 AM Re: Googles new investment in real estate site [Re: broker]
cartert Offline

Loc: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canad...
It is shocking to me the market caps that Trulia and Zillow have for their earnings. Even for a tech startup, and I wouldn't even consider them startups anymore, that's just baffling.

They need to find a way to increase revenue badly, and I think honestly the answer for them is to become a brokerage with agents. I guess we'll see. I'm thankful they don't exist in Canada, yet.

#419420 - 01/31/13 07:15 PM Re: Googles new investment in real estate site [Re: broker]
Musa Opondo Offline

Loc: USA
Seems like Google wants to dominate every industry!

#419524 - 02/02/13 04:20 AM Re: Googles new investment in real estate site [Re: broker]
BronxPad Offline

Loc: Bronx New York
This is very interesting. Like Politics, Real Estate is a local thing. Yeah, Trulia, ZIllow, Realtor and Homes receive a lot of traffic because of there rankings in the search engines and now Real Estate.com is trying to improve there rankings, but how do these other sites get there traffic. I heard of another site like Movoto trying to do the referral business model.

At the end of the day i use social media and guerilla marketing for my business model. [url=http://www.bronxpad.com]Bronx Real Estate[/url] Bronx Real Estate

Edited by BronxPad (02/02/13 04:23 AM)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  doug 
Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Myrsatech, Joyti Sharma, jamem, johnpatrick, Chris_Hendricks
30817 Registered Users
Who's Online
6 registered (BPOguy1689, Trouble, Long Walk, estatereal, RonnieEmz, Chris_Hendricks), 65 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
CathCoy 26
Trouble 18
Z06Fanatic 11
Dan M Lee 9
RonnieEmz 8
FlyHigh 7
OahuAgent 7
estatereal 7
Lisa Anne 6