Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 29223211
No new orders today 13245045
Stupid MLS comments. 3535137
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1340010
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1181998
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1125534
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 910602
Let's talk about our cars 762168
Most common items found at an REO 689137
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 673895
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 667851
REOTRANS 512748
Main Street 498893
EML 459242
asset val seminar in colorado 454716
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 390703
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 368202
Evalonline 300215
Land America 285056
Mainstreet 261863
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#415777 - 11/16/12 03:02 AM realtor & seller unavailable to look at offers
modman Offline

Loc: USA
Someone pls tell me if I am thinking clearly about this. I have a buyer who wants to make an offer on a property. She should be ready to make the offer by Saturday. The listing realtor told me yesterday that she is leaving town this Saturday for the holidays and won't return until Mon 11/26 (9 days). I asked who would be covering for her so I would know who to submit my offer to. She told me that the seller would be out of town the same dates so they wouldn't be able to respond to an offer until 11/26. I'm questioning alot of things but mainly whether or not my buyer is being treated fairly. The listing realtor said the property will remain 'active' on the market while she is away. I believe it should be changed to a status of 'temporarily off market' since it isn't really available for offers. My buyer needs to close before Christmas and since lenders need appr one month to process the loan, this might require her to look for another property. Not to mention that other offers could come in during this period and then we would have competition which seems unfair to my buyer since she is basically ready to move forward. It seems wrong that my buyer would suffer in this day and age when it is so easy to respond to offers via email, etc. Does anyone have an opinion on the 'temporarily off market' idea? Is it possible there could be a local MLS guideline for this? My broker wasn't able to help me. On top of all this, I hesitate to say anything to the listing realtor because I don't want to start off in a negative manner and possibly jeopardize by buyer's deal. Many thanks.

Advertisements
#415814 - 11/16/12 09:44 PM Re: realtor & seller unavailable to look at offers [Re: modman]
Dodger52 Offline

Loc: Montana
Your MLS rules and regs probably address this situation, I would check there to see how they handle it. If you buyer wants to write and the listing "agent" is not available, contact the LA's broker. If he/she can not help you, you need to choose a different home. I would bet the LA's broker would reassign the listing or handle it themselves rather than lose the transaction.
www.facebook.com/MissionValleyMTHomes

#415826 - 11/17/12 04:14 PM Re: realtor & seller unavailable to look at offers [Re: modman]
DueDiligence Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Wild Wild West
My take is that the property, during the time the sellers are out of town and/or the LA is out of town, is not "temporarily off-market". It is still actively for sale, BUT the response time for an offer during this time may be longer.

You should submit your buyer's offer. Submit via email to the LA and submit a copy to the LA's broker, call the LA's broker, or see him/her in person and explain the situation. Ask the LA's broker if he/she can handle the offer in the LA's absence. If the LA's broker says the offer presentation to sellers will have to wait until the sellers and/or LA are available, you've done what you can to get the offer to the seller's representatives.

Thereby, your offer is "in".

Of note, sellers can always gather offers if they so choose. There can always be competition. It's entirely up to the sellers.

#415829 - 11/17/12 05:06 PM Re: realtor & seller unavailable to look at offers [Re: modman]
Mike Burchyett Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
Dodger is right on here, IMO. The listing technically belongs to the broker, not to the agent. If the agent is unavailable or unwilling to submit the offer in a timely manner, then contact the listing broker. I can't imagine with all the technology we have available today that there isn't a way for the sellers to look at the offer, and they're likely unaware of what the listing agent told you. I receive offers via email and use Docusign so my clients can electronically sign.

#415835 - 11/18/12 12:21 AM Re: realtor & seller unavailable to look at offers [Re: Mike Burchyett]
SoFLBroker Offline

Loc: Florida, Treasure Coast
You may want to simply look at this as an REO, wherein the bank says, "No offers will be reviewed for x number of days.

Nowadays, being first in, is not an advantage like it used to be!

#415844 - 11/18/12 04:38 AM Re: realtor & seller unavailable to look at offers [Re: modman]
Scintillion Offline

Loc: Colorado, USA
Holidays slow down so many transactions. I have a friend who got delayed more than 10 days recently on a big closing - but glad that his deal is going through soon. Good luck getting it together.

#416366 - 12/02/12 06:44 PM Re: realtor & seller unavailable to look at offers [Re: modman]
Malok Offline

Loc: Kentucky - in a barn!
Everything seems to take a lot longer now than it used to. A "normal" deal (if there is such a thing) can take 45 to 60 days typically. It used to be fairly easy to get a deal done in under 30 days.

#416391 - 12/02/12 08:02 PM Re: realtor & seller unavailable to look at offers [Re: modman]
cartert Offline

Loc: Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canad...
Like a poster above me said, the listing technically belongs to the brokerage and not the actual agent. It is that agent's duty though to make sure the seller sees the offer before it expires. I would contact the brokerage and ask them how they would like to proceed, if they are unhelpful contact the local governing board that deals with the agents and brokerages.

#419092 - 01/26/13 02:36 AM Re: realtor & seller unavailable to look at offers [Re: cartert]
Joette Fielding Offline

Loc: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
I completely agree with the previous posters. In this day and age, if a listing agent is not willing to make himself available, then I would contact their broker. But there might be something else going on here... It seems the agent is not being 100% forthcoming with you. If you seller needs to close by a certain date, and this agent is unwilling to accommodate that... Then you have to explain the situation to your client and move on.

Modman, hope everything turned out for you in the end.

#419793 - 02/07/13 06:52 AM Re: realtor & seller unavailable to look at offers [Re: modman]
jasminewilliams Offline

Loc: CA
I also agree with previous posts,listing agent is not willing to make himself available,They make always excuses

#419811 - 02/07/13 04:50 PM Re: realtor & seller unavailable to look at offers [Re: modman]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: London, Ontario
I am impressed that your local market so hot that sellers can turn down offers?

I would probably have encourage by client to keep looking, since this is often the sign of unmotivated sellers.

How did this end up turning out?

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
esedndwi, Regis, Adrian75K, Semi, Breezy LL
31035 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (koshy, 1 invisible), 104 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Z06Fanatic 20
Lucky Leonardo 15
CathCoy 13
realestategreat 13
T.T. 12
OahuAgent 10
RATKOS 7
Long Walk 6
Semi 6