Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 29141973
No new orders today 13237082
Stupid MLS comments. 3527811
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1336405
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1173891
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1121164
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 908546
Let's talk about our cars 758335
Most common items found at an REO 684694
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 670475
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 665369
REOTRANS 510487
Main Street 496046
EML 459242
asset val seminar in colorado 453315
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 388563
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 366832
Evalonline 300215
Land America 285056
Mainstreet 261863
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#413115 - 09/20/12 06:39 PM #1 Challenge as an agent...acquiring clients or Repeat/Referral business?
agentca Offline

Loc: CA
I'm curious to know if what other agents consider their biggest challenge. I know as California Realtor myself my number focus is on prospecting and lead generation. BUT I do also spend a considerable amount of time on trying to build repeat/referral business. I've noticed that it is the foundation of most if not all successful agents.

My question is what type of customer retention services do you use such as newsletters, past client drip campaigns, market update emails etc. I am currently using a newsletter system that sends out a basic home improvement/real estate market update information monthly but am looking for something more personalized and creative to peak interest. I've had clients tell me they read it but haven't had many referrals or past clients calls as a result of it. I've thought of setting up a drip campaign and customizing the emails that get sent out but think that involves WAY too time.

What are you guys using and what are the results, problems, missing features and things that are producing results. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Advertisements
#413124 - 09/20/12 10:03 PM Re: #1 Challenge as an agent...acquiring clients or Repeat/Referral business? [Re: agentca]
super realtor Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: georgia
Are you asking for the referral in your newsletter??

Unless you ask even if they read the newsletter monthly they will not refer!!

Ask,ask,ask

#413152 - 09/21/12 02:36 PM Re: #1 Challenge as an agent...acquiring clients or Repeat/Referral business? [Re: super realtor]
Dodger52 Offline

Loc: Montana
I have had a different experience than Super, I get better results from not asking for the referral. It may be my conversation style, or just my personality but if I keep the conversation about the customer I seem to get better results. If asking doesn't work, try not asking to see if that works.

I try to keep extensive notes about each buyer, their plans for the home, and their concerns. When I talk to them I can ask if they replaced that water heater, or got the new deck finished.

Newsletters and drip programs are great, but if you can personalize the message its better. A quarterly email with market activity for the neighborhood, can probably be setup through systems you already have. Most importantly pick up the phone, talk to them! I talk to past customers at least twice a year, some I talk to more.

I should point out that while I don't ask for business, I always offer my services.

Edited by Dodger52 (09/21/12 02:37 PM)
www.facebook.com/MissionValleyMTHomes

#413174 - 09/21/12 07:48 PM Re: #1 Challenge as an agent...acquiring clients or Repeat/Referral business? [Re: super realtor]
agentca Offline

Originally Posted By: super realtor
Are you asking for the referral in your newsletter??

Unless you ask even if they read the newsletter monthly they will not refer!!

Ask,ask,ask

I do ask for referrals from my past clients and sphere. Although I tend to play towards my strengths and that being that I myself hate feeling like I'm being constantly asked to use a particular person for services or being sold to. I keep this in mind when sending out my "newsletter" but it's a good point, closed mouths dont get fed!

#413175 - 09/21/12 07:54 PM Re: #1 Challenge as an agent...acquiring clients or Repeat/Referral business? [Re: Dodger52]
agentca Offline

Originally Posted By: Dodger52
I have had a different experience than Super, I get better results from not asking for the referral. It may be my conversation style, or just my personality but if I keep the conversation about the customer I seem to get better results. If asking doesn't work, try not asking to see if that works.

I try to keep extensive notes about each buyer, their plans for the home, and their concerns. When I talk to them I can ask if they replaced that water heater, or got the new deck finished.

Newsletters and drip programs are great, but if you can personalize the message its better. A quarterly email with market activity for the neighborhood, can probably be setup through systems you already have. Most importantly pick up the phone, talk to them! I talk to past customers at least twice a year, some I talk to more.

I should point out that while I don't ask for business, I always offer my services.

what are some of the methods you use to contact past clients/customers. While I know a relationship is formed throughout the transaction there seems to be a "reason" for communication at that particular time. Do you call to "just check in" or on holidays? I'm curious to know how agents are doing it and how I can improve on my current methods....

#413180 - 09/21/12 08:49 PM Re: #1 Challenge as an agent...acquiring clients or Repeat/Referral business? [Re: agentca]
Dodger52 Offline

More often than not, I start the conversation with "We haven't talked in a while, I wanted to see how things are going for you." I refer to my notes and ask about their hobbies, kids, grandchildren, whatever they shared with me through the transaction that was important to them.

I tag my contacts with their hobbies and interests, so when there is a classic car show in town, I have an excuse to call my "car guys" to see if they are showing their car. Call your hunters after hunting season to hear how they did. Call your DIY folks to see how their projects are coming along.

If you don't have extensive notes, start taking them by the second call to a past client you will have something to refer to in the conversation. Most people like to talk about themselves. If they think you like to talk about them too, they will find an excuse to talk to you.

This works for me because I really like to know whats going on in their lives. If you are more of a business focused kind of person you might use a different approach.

#413183 - 09/21/12 09:13 PM Re: #1 Challenge as an agent...acquiring clients or Repeat/Referral business? [Re: agentca]
agentca Offline

great point Dodger! I like the note taking and attention to client detail. This is a sure way to earn clients for life. Do you have any reminder system that pops up to let you know some of the notes or info you've taken on them or do you just call on your database every 60, 90 days??? What system do you use to manage your contacts??

thanks for the input.....

#413250 - 09/23/12 06:24 PM Re: #1 Challenge as an agent...acquiring clients or Repeat/Referral business? [Re: agentca]
Dodger52 Offline

Sorry for the delay, it has been a busy couple of days. Currently I am looking for better CRM software. I am pretty sure if I switch I will still keep looking, after all these years its become a habit. There are 100's of programs out there, and a lot of them are pretty good. You can do a search on this forum for CRM and find a lot of information.

So for now I am still using a combination of MS Outlook and some excel spreadsheets. I wouldn't suggest this combination if you are not already using it, its archaic and has a long learning curve, but I have been using it so long its habit/automatic for me.

My program is pretty simple, every home buyer gets a call 30 days after closing. (they may get more calls, but they never get less) I take the total number of past customers in my database multiply by two, and divide by 52, the number left is how many I call per week. I have a morning time slot and an evening time slot set aside for these calls. I may call more but never less (you can see a theme here). I look through the local newspaper, and the different community calendars every Monday morning so I know whats happening in the area. Each client/customer is tagged with their interests and I call them according to whats going on in the area. Some weeks I get my calls made just off this information other weeks I don't have any matches so I work backwards off my list and talk to the ones that have gone the longest without a call.

Have the contact information open while you are on the call and add to your notes as you talk to them. I got pretty good at taking notes and talking on the phone during my coaching days it takes a little practice, but it becomes natural pretty quick.

I don't use reminders, because I make my calls every week. I do however try to get my calls made before my scheduled time slots. I feel like I can take that time off and relax if I have my work done.

Most people get three calls a year, but all get at least two. Because its not a lot of calls per week its easy and its something you just do. When left my first market I was calling 400 past customers twice a year. That may sound like a lot but it works out to 3 calls a day, not a big deal at all. Currently I do not have many past customers, I just started in this market in March of this year. I still schedule 5 calls per week, and I call someone, even if I don't have past customers to call.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Beni Restea, marry, MFCHomes, John ha, DennisMcD
30997 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (likearollinhome, estatereal, Obsf10), 38 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
OahuAgent 24
Z06Fanatic 23
realestategreat 16
Long Walk 12
CathCoy 11
Trouble 9
DangerRanger 8
T.T. 7
jn1204 5