Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 29223211
No new orders today 13245045
Stupid MLS comments. 3535137
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1340010
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1181998
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1125534
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 910602
Let's talk about our cars 762168
Most common items found at an REO 689137
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 673895
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 667851
REOTRANS 512748
Main Street 498893
EML 459242
asset val seminar in colorado 454716
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 390703
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 368202
Evalonline 300215
Land America 285056
Mainstreet 261863
Matched Content
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#412484 - 09/10/12 08:20 PM Procurring Cause
broker Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Cary, NC
Buyer sees a sign on a house and calls. Agent arranges showing and house is shown. Buyer says thank you and then decides they want to submit offer - but use a local buyer agent who will represent their interests and says they will rebate 35% of their commission back to the buyer. Agent is licensed, but not a Realtor or member of the MLS. Offer is submitted and showing agent is angry they didn't go to them.

Would your agency pay that buyer agent the commission or tell them they are not going to get it because of procurring cause?

Edited by broker (09/10/12 08:40 PM)
Edit Reason: sp

Advertisements
#412486 - 09/10/12 08:45 PM Re: Procuring Cause [Re: broker]
CALIF DREAMING Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Downey, California
Did the initial showing agent ask the prospective buyers before showing the property whether or not they are already working with an agent and/or have a signed buyer/broker agreement?

You promised to pay a cooperating broker in the MLS, so yes, you must pay, unless the selling agent is not a board member. Contact your local board and get advice on how to initiate an arbitration hearing. If the judgement goes against you, then you will have to bear the cost of arbitration.

#412488 - 09/10/12 08:57 PM Re: Procuring Cause [Re: CALIF DREAMING]
broker Offline
Major Contributor

They asked and the buyers said they did not have an agent. Nothing was signed at showing.

The buyers agent is not a member of the MLS or Realtor board - but is licensed to practice real estate.

#412492 - 09/10/12 09:19 PM Re: Procuring Cause [Re: broker]
DueDiligence Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Wild Wild West
Originally Posted By: broker
They asked and the buyers said they did not have an agent. Nothing was signed at showing.

The buyers agent is not a member of the MLS or Realtor board - but is licensed to practice real estate.

With the above clarification, this issue goes a little beyond procuring cause. IF you want it to.

"Representation doesn't mean compensation" or something similar I've heard.

Listing agent has no obligation to pay a commission (at least in my MLS) to a non-board member. Here, there are some agents who will tell that to a non-board member who wants to write a contract. There are some agents here who let that be a surprise.

There are some REALTOR members (and all members of my MLS must also belong to NAR) that will not cobroke with a non-NAR salesperson because... non-NAR salespersons are not bound by NAR COE.

#412493 - 09/10/12 09:34 PM Re: Procuring Cause [Re: DueDiligence]
broker Offline
Major Contributor

When the seller signed the listing agreement, they were told that part of the commission would go to a buyers agent if one brought an offer. There is no discussion whether or not it is for an agent that is a "Realtor" or part of the MLS.

What say you to that? Just asking...

What if the agent was a member of the board?

Quote:
There are some REALTOR members (and all members of my MLS must also belong to NAR) that will not cobroke with a non-NAR salesperson because... non-NAR salespersons are not bound by NAR COE.

I know this - is that explained to sellers?

#412494 - 09/10/12 09:39 PM Re: Procuring Cause [Re: broker]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
". . . Nothing was signed at showing . . ."

Doesn't North Carolina have a Mandatory Agency Disclosure Form which must be given, and a Buyer signature acknowledging receipt obtained, at the first substantial contact; and a showing is substantial contact.

That "Form" has proven be very helpful as proof of procuring cause for many Listing Agents . . . . and a real incentive for them to use it.

#412501 - 09/10/12 10:55 PM Re: Procuring Cause [Re: broker]
KT Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Ohio
Two things. Most companies who are in the MLS will not pay those who are outside their MLS - unless, they (one or the other co's belongs to a different system.) The whole point of a multiple listing system was for brokers to say they would cooperate with other brokers & offer some kind of compensation.

The other thing, is that procuring cause is way more involved than simply showing a house from a sign call. There has to be a whole bunch of uninterupted chain of events - you know, working with a buyer for it to take place.

#412505 - 09/10/12 11:26 PM Re: Procuring Cause [Re: broker]
DueDiligence Offline
Major Contributor

When the seller signed the listing agreement, they were told that part of the commission would go to a buyers agent if one brought an offer. There is no discussion whether or not it is for an agent that is a "Realtor" or part of the MLS.

What say you to that? Just asking...

What if the agent was a member of the board?

Quote:

I know this - is that explained to sellers?

"They were told" or a promise to compensate a buyer agent was made IN and by the Listing Agreement in writing? What does the ERTS actually say?

What I say is that typically how, to whom, and how much commissions are split is up to the listing broker. That, according to my ERTS, the listing broker may deal with other brokers in any manner he sees fit.

The commission belongs to the listing broker and s/he may do with that commission as s/he pleases. IF s/he offers to cooperate with other brokers, that offer to cooperate is made to other brokers in whichever board(s) s/he belongs to. So, if the buyers' agent in this instance is not a member of the listing agent's board, no offer of compensation was made to that agent.

"Is it explained to sellers"? I've never asked another Broker about what s/he has as a commission policy, nor would I. If I attempted to write a contract on a non-board member's property, I'd definitely ask "will you cobroke?' FIRST. If they said, "No", I wouldn't in a million years ask, "Does your seller know that? Did you tell your seller? What's the point? The seller offered THE LISTING BROKER a commission to sell his/her property, period. What the broker does with the commission is his/her business. Would you ask to see a listing agreement between that broker and that seller? Think you'd get to see it?

And as far as not cobroking with a non-NAR salesperson, some agents/brokers believe that it's in the best interest of the client.

#412523 - 09/11/12 11:50 AM Re: Procuring Cause [Re: DueDiligence]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
Originally Posted By: DueDiligence
What I say is that typically how, to whom, and how much commissions are split is up to the listing broker. That, according to my ERTS, the listing broker may deal with other brokers in any manner he sees fit.

The commission belongs to the listing broker and s/he may do with that commission as s/he pleases.

This does not hold true for NC realtors using the NCAR listing agreements. In NC the listing agreement actually lays out how much of the commission will be split and with whom it will be shared.

If there is a change from the signed listing agreement, like in the scenario laid out by the OP, the agent is required to notify the seller that the cooperating agent will not be compensated.

#412537 - 09/11/12 02:41 PM Re: Procuring Cause [Re: broker]
Pikes Peak Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: FL
Procuring cause disputes between a REALTORŪ and a non-REALTORŪ are not subject to mandatory arbitration.
The buyer had a right to be represented by a broker. The listing broker could not have represented the buyer and would have been a transaction broker, sellers agent, dual agent or facilitator.
If the buyer had gone to an attorney, would the listing agent refuse to pay the attorney?
The seller in our listing agreement determines how much is paid to the co-operating broker, not the listing agent.

#412543 - 09/11/12 03:29 PM Re: Procuring Cause [Re: Bigtoe]
DueDiligence Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Bigtoe
Originally Posted By: DueDiligence

The commission belongs to the listing broker and s/he may do with that commission as s/he pleases.

This does not hold true for NC realtors using the NCAR listing agreements. In NC the listing agreement actually lays out how much of the commission will be split and with whom it will be shared.

If there is a change from the signed listing agreement, like in the scenario laid out by the OP, the agent is required to notify the seller that the cooperating agent will not be compensated.

BTW, isn't NC a "subagency" state? I had an opportunity to look over transaction paperwork out of NC about 2-1/2 years ago and it looked like subagency. That would make a difference.

Anyway, I did ask the OP what the ERTS indicated.

#412550 - 09/11/12 04:25 PM Re: Procuring Cause [Re: DueDiligence]
Dodger52 Offline

Loc: Montana
Does the listing agreement give you the option to not pay the buying agent? (if the split is spelled out).

If the original showing agent didn't offer representation at the time of showing, you probably don't have a commission dispute. So you are left with the deciding of whether or not the non MLS member represents a ready, willing, and able buyer.

If we assume that this is a good buyer, why would you not offer at least some commission. You would probably not be obligated to offer compensation as spelled out by your MLS but offering something would seem reasonable. You may incur some additional work, and so adjusting that payout would seem acceptable.

You are obligated to work in the best interest of the seller, turning away a ready willing and able buyer with an acceptable offer does not accomplish that regardless of who is on the other side. If this was a clouded transaction than you would have reason to turn the buyer away, but what you have described doesn't show that.

Even though this agent is not a MLS or NAR member, YOU are still bound by the Realtor Code of Ethics (do no harm)and if you cost your seller the opportunity to sell their home you MAY be in violation. You may also incur some liability should the eventual sale of the property be for less money, or from a less qualified buyer.

You should disclose to the seller the possible pitfalls of working with an agent that is not bound by the "Realtor Code", and let them decide. I do not think that you can ethically or legally require the buyer to work with an agent that meets your approval.

This is one of those gray areas that eventually the courts will interpret, but you don't want that to happen to your transaction.
www.facebook.com/MissionValleyMTHomes

#412554 - 09/11/12 05:23 PM Re: Procurring Cause [Re: broker]
slcagent Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
This kind of thing is happening more and more. Discount brokers who don't want to show the property so they get the buyers to say that they are not working with an agent. Then all of a sudden an offer comes in and they are working with an agent.

#412557 - 09/11/12 05:58 PM Re: Procurring Cause [Re: slcagent]
Dodger52 Offline

Loc: Montana
This is why we have an agency disclosure form, and we should present the agency options before showing the house. Sub-agency is legal in my state, but most listings do not offer a commission to a sub-agent. If the buyer refuses representation I refuse to show the home. If they try to be sneaky and don't refuse I have documentation and the transaction is now clouded and it is no longer in the best interest of the seller to consider their offer.

If we all do our jobs, the folks looking for a quick and easy buck will look to other industries. Its up to us to make sure we don't get into these sticky situations.
www.facebook.com/MissionValleyMTHomes

#412558 - 09/11/12 06:06 PM Re: Procuring Cause [Re: Dodger52]
DueDiligence Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Dodger52
Does the listing agreement give you the option to not pay the buying agent? (if the split is spelled out).

If the original showing agent didn't offer representation at the time of showing, you probably don't have a commission dispute. So you are left with the deciding of whether or not the non MLS member represents a ready, willing, and able buyer.

If we assume that this is a good buyer, why would you not offer at least some commission. You would probably not be obligated to offer compensation as spelled out by your MLS but offering something would seem reasonable. You may incur some additional work, and so adjusting that payout would seem acceptable.

You are obligated to work in the best interest of the seller, turning away a ready willing and able buyer with an acceptable offer does not accomplish that regardless of who is on the other side. If this was a clouded transaction than you would have reason to turn the buyer away, but what you have described doesn't show that.

Even though this agent is not a MLS or NAR member, YOU are still bound by the Realtor Code of Ethics (do no harm)and if you cost your seller the opportunity to sell their home you MAY be in violation. You may also incur some liability should the eventual sale of the property be for less money, or from a less qualified buyer.

You should disclose to the seller the possible pitfalls of working with an agent that is not bound by the "Realtor Code", and let them decide. I do not think that you can ethically or legally require the buyer to work with an agent that meets your approval.

This is one of those gray areas that eventually the courts will interpret, but you don't want that to happen to your transaction.

Cogent response.

I don't think this buyer has been "turned away". I believe the offer was submitted, and that's the correct response from the Listing Broker/agent. So, the LA is acting in the best interest of the seller and did submit the offer to be judged on its own merits.

Compensation is the issue here, apparently. We first note that the buyer's agent didn't show or re-show the property to the buyer. In my market, where out-of area agents DO have the LA show the property and then write an offer for a buyer, compensation is handled on an case-by-case basis. Yes, the offer is submitted, but what happens with compensation is variable.

My personal rule of thumb in these instances is whether or not the ex-area/ex-board agent (either NAR or non) can actually make the trips necessary to handle the buyer end of the transaction. Does s/he have the willingness and ability and time necessary to earn the commission?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
esedndwi, Regis, Adrian75K, Semi, Breezy LL
31035 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 116 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Z06Fanatic 20
Lucky Leonardo 15
CathCoy 13
realestategreat 13
T.T. 12
OahuAgent 10
RATKOS 7
Long Walk 6
Semi 6