Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28526729
No new orders today 13144503
Stupid MLS comments. 3359238
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1235272
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1107751
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1062468
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 850733
Let's talk about our cars 702479
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 627721
Most common items found at an REO 625567
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 618180
REOTRANS 466517
EML 459235
Main Street 448922
asset val seminar in colorado 425419
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 356100
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 331579
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#387991 - 08/28/11 04:34 PM Open Houses and Floor Time
green2gold88 Offline

Loc: Whittier, CA
When I went the Mike Ferry Superstar he said not to do Open Houses and do not do Floor Time. So what do the MF followers on here have to say about this??

Is it true what NAR said "Open Houses are the lowest producing activity a Realtor can do"?

I would really rather spend my time prospecting then sitting on my arse waiting for my next client. Also I don't have deep pockets for a massive mailer campaign.

Advertisements
#387995 - 08/28/11 05:12 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
jsteinhomes Offline

Loc: Montgomery County, PA
Floor time and sitting open houses are methods of prospecting, although a bit more passive than your average Mike Ferry program prefers. Do what you feel is best to run your business.

Personally, I don't mind sitting floor time. If I get a potential client that way, fantastic, but I choose to use that time to do productive tasks like researching comps for clients and working on my online presence.

#388002 - 08/28/11 06:47 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
I myself have done quite a bit of business w/ floor time generated leads. Depends on your office/brokerage. I'm at a top brokerage in the area so we get a fair share of calls and walk ins.

I don't sit on my butt waiting for clients though. I generate most of my own business with my website. Much more productive for me than making phone calls or door knocking, which is extremely distasteful to me.

#388008 - 08/28/11 07:29 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Virginia
I wouldn't pass up floor time. Had my fair share of walk-ins who purchased; plus you can do any other number of activities (that require a computer and/or phone) while you're waiting - just use the time productively.

For open houses, if it's in the right location, right neighborhood and the home shows very well, it's worth a couple hours - again, take work with you should there be slow time.

#388011 - 08/28/11 08:38 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
ColoBroker Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Northern Colorado
I say don't ignore floor time either. You could either be productive during it, but I always found it sometimes was a good time to relax and read a book or something. But be ready and logged into the MLS when a call comes in.

#388016 - 08/28/11 10:12 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Floor time is a great time to catch up on leads, write a blog, hunt down expireds, etc. Floor time is only a waste if you make it a waste!

#388051 - 08/29/11 02:17 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
green2gold88 Offline

Loc: Whittier, CA
Thank you all for your input. Your right about making it a waste or not a waste of time. Goes back to having the right mindset right. In my area I get 90% lease calls from floor time. Which is fine if a few hours of floor time turn into a small commission.

#388150 - 08/30/11 01:13 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
SPSells Offline

Loc: Seattle
Floor time is a waste of time if you can be productive somewhere else. Is it not predictable or duplicatable. However if you are having a bummer day anyways you may have someone stumble in!

#388175 - 08/30/11 08:55 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Maui Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Maui, HI
I don't like doing floor time too often as it 'ties up' my schedule but I find the time to be incredibly productive. If not actively engaged with a walk-in, it's a perfect opportunity to catch up on follow up, content generation, etc. And well, the possibility of a $2M walk-in waltzing through the door makes it all more enjoyable.
Visit our Maui RE Blog, then view our listings of Maui Condos For sale and Andaz Maui at Wailea site for information on this luxury property. View one of the hottest micro-markets in the luxury Kaanapali Honua Kai Condos For Sale.

#388205 - 08/31/11 09:09 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Maui]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: London, Ontario
I agree with the others that floor time can generate some leads if your in the right office.

But you need look at it from the view that your in the office to do something else (paper work, blog etc) and your enhancing it with the ability to generate a new lead at the same time.

#388206 - 08/31/11 09:26 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Like I said it's a waste of time if you waste your time while there.

I don't do floor time in place of other more productive activities - like, if a buyer calls and wants to go out tomorrow I don't say "I'm sorry I can't, I have floor time. Let's do it another day." I find someone to cover the floor time for me.

For the summer I went off the floor time schedule because I wanted to be home with my kids more when I didn't have appointments. I will probably take September off as well. However, in October I'll go back on the schedule. When I'm on floor time I sometimes do stupid stuff like play on Facebook but most of the time, if I am not talking to clients on the phone I am watching a training video, reading articles/blogs about how to improve my business, working on my own blog / listings, etc.

It's only a waste of time if you waste the time you have.

#388345 - 09/01/11 08:32 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

I just remembered back in my beginning days with my real estate license - I was doing floor duty. It was either my 3 or 4th transaction that miraculously called the office that day.

He said he wanted to buy a house and that he had called several different agents and left messages but NO ONE had called him back. He said he stated in his message that he had his DD-214 eligibilty certificate and that no one has called him back. I said, "DD-214 and no one's called you back?!!!" I'm thinking a VA buyer who wanted to buy NOW! Sold that cute fella and his bride of one year a home! Course, I did have to tolerate them kissing and giggling in the back seat while I drove!

There are times floor duty does pay.

#388491 - 09/03/11 04:45 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Bay Area Brian Offline
Veteran Member

There are so many things you can do at an open house or on floor time so that they are not wasted activities.

Another broker I was good friends with used to call opens doing penance for an overpriced listing, but I used to end up with a deal down the road for each open I did on average. Maybe nothing on one but two or three on another.

Currently it appears that each specific market place has it own rules, I would just look at it as Sunday office duty for an open because if no one shows I still got a lot done that needed to be done, and of course the seller can't cry it's not selling you need to hold and open house. Instead I get to bring up the current market and situation with them, are changes needed?

#388518 - 09/04/11 10:39 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Bay Area Brian]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: jersey city
here it is..
they both work..
however they are the 2 least productive sources of business
here is why..both are what we call waiting on business..
nar takes a survey..that is great for listing appointments..
less than 1 % of homes are sold at an open house...
most agents dont track..top producers track where every deal is coming from...
most brokers use you on floortime as unpaid receptionist..
i interveiw top agents all the time..through my mentor and masterminds..
I have never heard one refer to either as there great source of business..not even one...
here is another eye opening fact
nar says 75% of agents will not celebrate a second year
nar says 90% of agents do 4-6 deals per year..
from my mls out of 17,000 agents,..40% did NOT do one single DEAL..this year ..not 1.. OUCH!
Most if not all of the above agents main business consist of floor time and open houses and social media(playing on facebook
lets be real if open houses and floor time worked so well..
then fsbo's wouldnt need us..they would just do open houses
and put a sign in the yard..
how many deals this year did you do from open houses and floortime? especially in this market shift...

#388523 - 09/04/11 11:03 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

and this is why you should attend events..wether its your company, or a training or mastermind..
so you can network with other top agents...
ask them..they will share..
what is your top 3 listing generators
what is your top 3 buyer generators
what is your sources of business breakdown..
it usually looks something like this for the top 1-5%
doing 50-100 deals..
50% fsbo and expireds,cancelled withdrawns...
25% marketing and advertising..like internet lead generation
25% sphere of influence past clients-referrals

trust me those guys doing 50-100 transactions track like crazy people..
they know thier numbers..

nobody ever mentions floortime or open houses..not even as a small percentage...

the top 10 agents in my market..none do open houses or floor time

again im not saying they dont work..
but there is a such thing as agents highest and best use of thier time..
you cant make 100k a year..doing 8.00 an hour activities..like floor time..
only 3 things are high paying jobs in real estate
1. booking appointments..
2. listing appointments
3. showing properties..to qualified buyers

the numbers dont lie..
according to the labor board..
90% of agents will never earn 100k..period..
97.5% of agents will NEVER earn 200k..period..
99% of agents will never earn 500k or more..period.

why? highest and best use of time..
yet oddly nobody talks about the time correlation ..to how well you do as an agent..

in fact im willing to bet..i can generate more leads..
in 5 minutes on craigslist with a great lead capture site..
than you can in 8 hours of floor time
or 8 hours of open houses..

Edited by lindenmoe (09/04/11 11:24 AM)

#388559 - 09/04/11 07:20 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
jsteinhomes Offline

I get dizzy trying to read those posts. Moe, can you spend some of the 100k you made this year on some Capital Letters, please?

#388561 - 09/04/11 07:30 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: jsteinhomes]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Hard to do that when you're only typing with two fingers.

Opens and floor time, as Perky states, is a waste only if you make it a waste. My doctor's office has 'walk-in' service, or, you can schedule an appointment with one of the doctors. Works VERY well for them - although it is a different line of business. Only a waste if you make it a waste.

#388580 - 09/05/11 09:04 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: jsteinhomes]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: jbsnadb
I get dizzy trying to read those posts. Moe, can you spend some of the 100k you made this year on some Capital Letters, please?

va is right i type wit 2 fingers, writing is not my specialty, my apologies..my assistant is the much better writer..

i try to stick wit..
1.lead conversion..no typing required
2. listing appointments.. no typing required
3. showing properties,.. again no typing required

i pray you english majors spend less tim,e typing..it doesnt pay very well..unless your a uber blogger..then it pays.. :-0

#388584 - 09/05/11 09:25 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

I'm not an English major, just a high school graduate. I didn't even graduate in the top 20% of my class. I was an average student, who got average grades. I guess I just learned what I was taught.

#388590 - 09/05/11 10:13 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Perky_REALTOR
I'm not an English major, just a high school graduate. I didn't even graduate in the top 20% of my class. I was an average student, who got average grades. I guess I just learned what I was taught.

yep, just please dont tell my high school english teacher

about my grammer mistakes or the fact that i make 5x what she makes in a year...she will not be happy :-)

and i never said open houses and floor time dont work..
i said thier are other highest best use of a realtors time
more leveraged income producing lead generation activities

nar said less than 1% of homes are sold at open house
not me..

#388593 - 09/05/11 11:12 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Good for you, you make lots of money. I just made almost $35,000 last week alone.

Whoop-de-doo.

Money comes and goes. Your point is...it's okay to appear illiterate or poorly educated as long as you make lots of money?

#388597 - 09/05/11 11:47 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Good for you, you make lots of money. I just made almost $35,000 last week alone.

Whoop-de-doo.

Money comes and goes. Your point is...it's okay to appear illiterate or poorly educated as long as you make lots of money?

no my point is people..agents in particular..

have the most peculiar way of focusing on things that are unimportant and directly help them survive and thrive..

we talking about open houses, lead generation, floortime..

and the guy is talking about how i write in lower case..

how does that provide value whatsoever to the thread?

and thats awesome you made 35k last week..
i made about the same in the last 30 days..

being a english major probably had little if nothing to do with making that money..

i would take illeterate and poorly educated and make lots of money for my family..
then brilliant english major poor and suffering..

dont get me wrong..there is ZERO honor in making boatloads of money..

But there is ZERO honor in being poor , broke and struggling

my thing is wth? is people focusing on?

perfect example..

i have agents even my own broker laugh at my "ugly craigslist ads" saying they are not pretty..yada yada yada

i ask them how many leads they generate with they beatiful vflyer postlets ads..they admit..none..but hey its pretty right?

Edited by lindenmoe (09/05/11 11:50 AM)

#388599 - 09/05/11 11:54 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Andy Perkins Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I've sold two places this year (totaling nearly $1.5M in price) thanks to open houses. One of them was an "I saw it on the internet and then drove by" sale, so he might have been captured through some other method. However, the other was a bona fide "Hey, there's an open house down the street, let's go have a look" buyer; they paid $600k+ in cash, AND I got the listing on their existing house too.

That certainly doesn't mean I enjoy holding open houses...but at least they've been reasonably productive, even if most of the time is spent doing other things to keep me awake during the slow stretches. I do cite NAR's data when doing listing presentations, and allow the seller to decide whether open houses are worth the trouble for them. I will certainly commit myself to doing open houses--but if the buyer doesn't want to, I certainly will have other things I could be doing.

On the tangential topic of spelling/punctuation/grammar...It's interesting that so many of the top producers in my area can't seem to put a string of words together in an email to form a legible sentence. I received an email from an agent a couple nights ago that was so poorly worded I couldn't even begin to understand what this person was saying. My clients expect me to be meticulous, and I honestly can't get my head around how I would convince a client I was able to write a clearly worded contract if I couldn't even put a coherent sentence together in writing. (That's not a dig. I'm genuinely curious how the more "syntax-impaired" among us get around that.)

#388604 - 09/05/11 12:19 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
J&E Offline

Loc: Orange County CA
It really comes down to what works for you. Realtors do generate business that way but itís not for everyone.

#388610 - 09/05/11 12:59 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Andy Perkins]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Andy Perkins
I've sold two places this year (totaling nearly $1.5M in price) thanks to open houses. One of them was an "I saw it on the internet and then drove by" sale, so he might have been captured through some other method. However, the other was a bona fide "Hey, there's an open house down the street, let's go have a look" buyer; they paid $600k+ in cash, AND I got the listing on their existing house too.

That certainly doesn't mean I enjoy holding open houses...but at least they've been reasonably productive, even if most of the time is spent doing other things to keep me awake during the slow stretches. I do cite NAR's data when doing listing presentations, and allow the seller to decide whether open houses are worth the trouble for them. I will certainly commit myself to doing open houses--but if the buyer doesn't want to, I certainly will have other things I could be doing.

On the tangential topic of spelling/punctuation/grammar...It's interesting that so many of the top producers in my area can't seem to put a string of words together in an email to form a legible sentence. I received an email from an agent a couple nights ago that was so poorly worded I couldn't even begin to understand what this person was saying. My clients expect me to be meticulous, and I honestly can't get my head around how I would convince a client I was able to write a clearly worded contract if I couldn't even put a coherent sentence together in writing. (That's not a dig. I'm genuinely curious how the more "syntax-impaired" among us get around that.)

how often does that happen? seriously..
just curious...
hold an open house and get qualified buyer that buys and gives you a listing..?
once a week? once a month? once a year?
trying to calculate roi..

#388611 - 09/05/11 01:14 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Originally Posted By: J&E
It really comes down to what works for you. Realtors do generate business that way but itís not for everyone.

Maybe it's a subliminal strategy to dumb things down to the level of the lowest common denominator.

The key is to intentionally make yourself appear foolish and inferior so that those around you can feel superior, and comfortable working with you ?

Who would've known that beneath all that vulnerability, these crafty people are actually "Sly as a Fox" ? I'm certainly not that clever.

Take a peak at "The deliberate dumbing down of America" by Iserbyt . . . . I guess it's working !

#388615 - 09/05/11 01:36 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Vermont]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Vermont
Originally Posted By: J&E

Maybe it's a subliminal strategy to dumb things down to the level of the lowest common denominator.

The key is to intentionally make yourself appear foolish and inferior so that those around you can feel superior, and comfortable working with you ?

Who would've known that beneath all that vulnerability, these crafty people are actually "Sly as a Fox" ? I'm certainly not that clever.

Take a peak at "The deliberate dumbing down of America" by Iserbyt . . . . I guess it's working !

i guess cause simple works..

like all brokers reccommend open houses and floor time...
i somehow feel brokers do that for thier own best interest..

like to brand the brokerage with open house signs..
and to get a unpaid secretary..

just my 2 cents..it might be worth less than that ;-)

#388629 - 09/05/11 07:24 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
jsteinhomes Offline

Since I'm the "guy" with the problem with lower case only posts, I should probably say something.

The point I was trying to make was a simple one. You may be uber-successful in your business, and you MAY be trying to help others, but I also am one who can learn by following coherent, intelligible thoughts. Therefore, I tend to be more on the wavelength of major contributors to this sight such as Perky and Vermont and VaBroker.

Trying to follow stream-of-consciousness posts such as the "advice" you are trying to offer makes my head hurt and I tend to tune it out. I have trouble trying to "dumb myself down", but that's just me.

And you don't have to be an English major to string together thoughts into a coherent sentence.

And, I use four fingers to type (not counting thumbs on the space bar) and I seem to do just fine.

#388641 - 09/05/11 09:44 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
PaRealEstateAgt Offline

Loc: PA, USA
I did 2 open houses this year. The first one yielded me a listing and 2 qualified buyers. The second yielded me 4hrs of future planning time (no visitors.) I didn't mind the second since it gave me 4 consecutive hours to throw ideas around in my head.

I wish I would have done more open houses though, they are still a great source of new business. Plus it make the owner happy. Next year my goal is to develop a strategy that includes 2 open houses per month.

#388642 - 09/05/11 10:34 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Old Dominion
Keep in mind floor duty is just you working as your broker's receptionist, except without pay. It is not a perk to the agent but to the broker.

#388655 - 09/06/11 06:05 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
jsteinhomes Offline

The beautiful thing about floor time at my broker is, it's completely voluntary. Every month, you let the office coordinator know when you are (or are not) available, and they set up a schedule populated with those who responded.

#388658 - 09/06/11 07:07 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: jsteinhomes]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

The beautiful thing about floor time at my broker is, it's completely voluntary. Every month, you let the office coordinator know when you are (or are not) available, and they set up a schedule populated with those who responded.

ok lets discuss tracking..cause its the best thing to save your money and career..

1. how many open houses did you do?
2. how many sales did you make?
3. how many hours to get that contract?

same with floortime...

this is my observations..
i started with a giant remax company
over 100 agents over 300 listings..
i never once saw the top producers doing floortime or open houses, in fact..

the topproducers were always trying to get the newbies to do open houses and floor time..

if you are making money from open houses and floortime then keep doing them..simple

richard branson-billionaire of virgin airlines, mobile phones etc has a great lil expresiion on this

1. can i track it..to measure results?
2.is it working?
3. am i happy with the results?

if all 3 are yes carry on
if all 3 are no change something

im for anything that works..if you are getting results..carry on
but if you are in the 80% of raltors doing 4-6 deals a year

or the
90% of realtors doing 6-8 deals a year and you want more...change something..

#388660 - 09/06/11 07:36 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

I cut my Real Estate Teeth doing floor time during a sloooow market.

A little over 20 years ago, I joined a small country brokerage in the center of a small Vermont Village. The principals didn't insist on Floor Time, nor were they willing to work anything other than Banker's Hours themselves. They really had no experience in what it means to hustle.

I took it upon myself to keep the Office manned every night until 6:30 or 7:00 PM to catch the "after work" crowd and all day on Saturday to catch the "week-end shopping" crowd. I also took the opportunity to open the Office up most weekday mornings at 7:30 or 8:00 AM, and put the old "OPEN" flag out front to welcome in the "on the way to work" crowd. I even opened the Office up on Sundays (after 12:00 Noon) to catch to "after church" crowd.

Doing this Floor Time also afforded me the opportunity to off-load incoming messages from the answering machine, and I made sure to take care of all new calls that weren't already working with someone else in the Office.

Other Agents didn't even have keys to the building (they probably never even asked for them), let alone appear to be running the show; they didn't have a clue as to what it takes to establish a foothold in this business. The Principals knew what I was doing, but were unwilling to stop me OR to do it themselves; they'd rather be home relaxing or out golfing, fishing, boating or watching a football game; they'd gotten fat and lazy during the good times. I think they knew what I was doing; but seemed powerless to make me do otherwise. Floor time was there for the taking . . . . so I took it.

After about 5 or 6 weeks, the results of my efforts started to bear "visible" fruit: My listings and pending transactions began to pile up and I even began Closing some of the business that originally just "walked in the door". Opportunity knocks, but someone has to be there to open the door. I just made sure I was there !

Too bad those guys didn't make enough money to keep the business afloat . . . . I was the only one making sales, and that couldn't feed them all plus pay their bills. Nice people; BUT NOT WORKERS! I always try to avoid ever tying my dinghy up to any sinking ship. When I refused to buy the business (including its debt), they withered up and died . . . . and I had to go elsewhere; but I was welcomed elsewhere (as long as I wasn't seen as a threat).

With a small business, remember, it's easier to grow than it is to shrink. My first brokerage had it easy in the beginning; but didn't know what to do when the market turned on them. It's an important lesson . . . . not to be learned the hard way.

But I digress . . . . One man's trash can be another man's treasure. Floor Time was very good to me!

#388670 - 09/06/11 09:20 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Doin' bpose]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Doin' bpose
Keep in mind floor duty is just you working as your broker's receptionist, except without pay. It is not a perk to the agent but to the broker.

I guess that depends on the brokerage because we have a receptionist 7 days a week all day 9 till 5pm. Agents only talk to leads or if they grab the phone when the receptionist stepped out to the mailbox or gets overloaded.

#388690 - 09/06/11 11:00 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Vermont]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

I cut my Real Estate Teeth doing floor time during a sloooow market.

A little over 20 years ago, I joined a small country brokerage in the center of a small Vermont Village. The principals didn't insist on Floor Time, nor were they willing to work anything other than Banker's Hours themselves. They really had no experience in what it means to hustle.

I took it upon myself to keep the Office manned every night until 6:30 or 7:00 PM to catch the "after work" crowd and all day on Saturday to catch the "week-end shopping" crowd. I also took the opportunity to open the Office up most weekday mornings at 7:30 or 8:00 AM, and put the old "OPEN" flag out front to welcome in the "on the way to work" crowd. I even opened the Office up on Sundays (after 12:00 Noon) to catch to "after church" crowd.

Doing this Floor Time also afforded me the opportunity to off-load incoming messages from the answering machine, and I made sure to take care of all new calls that weren't already working with someone else in the Office.

Other Agents didn't even have keys to the building (they probably never even asked for them), let alone appear to be running the show; they didn't have a clue as to what it takes to establish a foothold in this business. The Principals knew what I was doing, but were unwilling to stop me OR to do it themselves; they'd rather be home relaxing or out golfing, fishing, boating or watching a football game; they'd gotten fat and lazy during the good times. I think they knew what I was doing; but seemed powerless to make me do otherwise. Floor time was there for the taking . . . . so I took it.

After about 5 or 6 weeks, the results of my efforts started to bear "visible" fruit: My listings and pending transactions began to pile up and I even began Closing some of the business that originally just "walked in the door". Opportunity knocks, but someone has to be there to open the door. I just made sure I was there !

Too bad those guys didn't make enough money to keep the business afloat . . . . I was the only one making sales, and that couldn't feed them all plus pay their bills. Nice people; BUT NOT WORKERS! I always try to avoid ever tying my dinghy up to any sinking ship. When I refused to buy the business (including its debt), they withered up and died . . . . and I had to go elsewhere; but I was welcomed elsewhere (as long as I wasn't seen as a threat).

With a small business, remember, it's easier to grow than it is to shrink. My first brokerage had it easy in the beginning; but didn't know what to do when the market turned on them. It's an important lesson . . . . not to be learned the hard way.

But I digress . . . . One man's trash can be another man's treasure. Floor Time was very good to me!

are you still doing floortime now?
any deals from it in the last 90 days?

#388693 - 09/06/11 11:07 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

I guess that depends on the brokerage because we have a receptionist 7 days a week all day 9 till 5pm. Agents only talk to leads or if they grab the phone when the receptionist stepped out to the mailbox or gets overloaded.
Our system has every call going to the agent whose listing generated the contact, whether it be email or phone. Unassigned calls are to be distributed evenly through the roster. Whether that happens is never to be known, but I seem to get my share. We do not see much 'walk in traffic.'

#388699 - 09/06/11 11:42 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Doin' bpose]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Our system has every call going to the agent whose listing generated the contact, whether it be email or phone. Unassigned calls are to be distributed evenly through the roster. Whether that happens is never to be known, but I seem to get my share. We do not see much 'walk in traffic.'

thats why im asking how floor time generates leads..
cause if its a decent brokerage..if the buyer called off a listing
it goes to the listing agent..

so what percentage of calls are not related to a paticular listing?

#388700 - 09/06/11 11:42 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: lindenmoe]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: lindenmoe

Yes . . . . and Yes.

But I now live in the Office.

My Floor Time consists of 6Ĺ Days per week; and of course, By Appointment.

#388740 - 09/06/11 04:26 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Vermont]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Yes . . . . and Yes.

But I now live in the Office.

My Floor Time consists of 6Ĺ Days per week; and of course, By Appointment.

i would carry on then..

i did open houses and floor time my first 3 months pretty agressive didnt make a penny..
never did it again after that in my entire 5 year career

#388747 - 09/06/11 05:05 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
jsteinhomes Offline

Ours is the same way. Floor people only handle screened calls 8:30-5.

#388758 - 09/06/11 07:27 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: jsteinhomes]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Ours is the same way. Floor people only handle screened calls 8:30-5.
I'll get some calls like that as well, but they are patched through to my cell phone. If a call needs explanation I'll get a call on one line with the heads up from the office and then the patch through. My broker is pretty insistant his employees answer the phone and not the agents. There is no true benefit to staying on the floor (in my office)other than a walk in who wants to be shown right now!!. Frankly we don't get those very often and they usually are dubious IMO.
But as I wrote earlier a call on a listing/email goes to the list agent regardless of where they are.

Edited by Doin' bpose (09/06/11 07:28 PM)

#388759 - 09/06/11 07:30 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: jsteinhomes]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

The pros and cons of floor duty and open houses...the posts are beating a deadhorse - if it works for some, it works; but, not using proper English - either a person has a language problem or it could imply a certain lack of intelligence.

I can imagine the day an intelligent buyer or seller comes along, sees how indecipherable an agent's emails are and decides, even if it's just laziness to set a sentence properly, this agent is not for them. It would certainly make me wonder, if my doctor or lawyer could not type proper sentences. Although it may not, in any way reflect their capabilitiy to perform whatever they were licensed for, I'd still have a doubt in my mind.

Many times, it takes me awhile to type a post because I actually google certain words to be sure they are correct. I used to be excellent in spelling and grammar. I think some of my 'delay' in posting is due to reading so many posts, articles, etc., (not just in AOL) that are poorly written and I question my abilities due to the overexposure of poorly written sentences - so, I google. Even my local newspaper has errors, but, the editor does ask that the public notify them of any errors. Does anyone else ask this?

I don't know anyone on AOL, but I still care to make my posts as legible and understandable as possible. Laziness, in this aspect, may work for some in real estate, but, in the real corporate world, it doesn't work and most work in that real world.

#388775 - 09/06/11 10:26 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Quote:
thats why im asking how floor time generates leads..
cause if its a decent brokerage..if the buyer called off a listing
it goes to the listing agent..

In our office the lead goes to the agent the buyer requests...but if they call just on a listing it goes to the floor time person unless the agent is in the office at the time. The reasoning is to talk to the lead while the lead is hot.

If all calls go to the listing agent automatically it sort of (well not sort of, it DOES) suck for the agents who have very few if any listings.

#388793 - 09/07/11 06:11 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: VABroker]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: VABroker
The pros and cons of floor duty and open houses...the posts are beating a deadhorse - if it works for some, it works; but, not using proper English - either a person has a language problem or it could imply a certain lack of intelligence.

I can imagine the day an intelligent buyer or seller comes along, sees how indecipherable an agent's emails are and decides, even if it's just laziness to set a sentence properly, this agent is not for them. It would certainly make me wonder, if my doctor or lawyer could not type proper sentences. Although it may not, in any way reflect their capabilitiy to perform whatever they were licensed for, I'd still have a doubt in my mind.

Many times, it takes me awhile to type a post because I actually google certain words to be sure they are correct. I used to be excellent in spelling and grammar. I think some of my 'delay' in posting is due to reading so many posts, articles, etc., (not just in AOL) that are poorly written and I question my abilities due to the overexposure of poorly written sentences - so, I google. Even my local newspaper has errors, but, the editor does ask that the public notify them of any errors. Does anyone else ask this?

I don't know anyone on AOL, but I still care to make my posts as legible and understandable as possible. Laziness, in this aspect, may work for some in real estate, but, in the real corporate world, it doesn't work and most work in that real world.

with total due respect to ya, ..bad english on purpose.. :-)

i sell 500-900k condos..my average is down to to about 479k..

so um guess who can afford to buy 500, 600, 700k condos?

you guessed it, my clients are doctors, lawyers, financial analyst and stockbrokers..

i write and talk to them in proper english...look me up on trulia voices if you question my grammer or intelligence..

that being said,..this is why most agents are broke and starving..focusing on lil stuff that dont matter..this is a forum of agents..not doctors or lawyers..

i will say the last thing on that..i rather be earning six figures, than be some poor struggling english major egghead..just my own opinion..

now back on topic and relevant,..

perky i dont think its right if im the listing agent and i spend money marketing my listings to generate leads for low producing lazy agents in my office..

i had a big fight with my current broker over this...

now the floor time agents know..if they call off my listings to send that lead straight to me..cause i paid for it..

#388833 - 09/07/11 01:51 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: lindenmoe]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Quote:
i write and talk to them in proper english...look me up on trulia voices if you question my grammer or intelligence..

that being said,..this is why most agents are broke and starving..focusing on lil stuff that dont matter..this is a forum of agents..not doctors or lawyers..

i will say the last thing on that..i rather be earning six figures, than be some poor struggling english major egghead..just my own opinion..

Besides your arrogance, would your grammar from this website also be found along with your Trulia comments when a person googles you?

If you wrote something incorrectly in a contract offer that was accepted and it came back to haunt you via a complaint/your r.e.board, would they accept your answer (excuse) because you don't believe in English eggheads?

#388857 - 09/07/11 05:55 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: VABroker]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Quote:

Besides your arrogance, would your grammar from this website also be found along with your Trulia comments when a person googles you?

If you wrote something incorrectly in a contract offer that was accepted and it came back to haunt you via a complaint/your r.e.board, would they accept your answer (excuse) because you don't believe in English eggheads?

ok ok vabroker, you win...
and apologies for my arrogance..byproduct on my ny/nj upbringing..
you ever watch..jersey shore on mtv? lol..

anyway..you are right proper grammer is important..i just didnt want it to distract from the topic at hand...

once again..my apologies...im working on humbleness
and am still a work in progress..
maybe my poor writing is why i suck at blogging..

#388865 - 09/07/11 06:54 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: lindenmoe]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

I used to work with a cop who, when he spoke, sounded as though he was from The Bronx, New York. Turned out it was only a deviated nasal septum. Never watched Jersey Shores. If it's on MTV - isn't that the music channel? Can only take maximum of 30 minutes of music and I have to turn it off - doesn't matter what style of music. I have a few favorite shows and that's it. I can guarantee you that any show I like will be off the air in 5 years or less. Sons of Anarchy will be one; House will be another.

I understand not capitalizing your words if you're typing from a Smartphone/iPhone but I type from mine and I always capitalize, use correct punctuation. It's a pain, but, your writing reflects on you.

Have a good evening...I have no idea what I'll watch on TV tonight.

#388873 - 09/07/11 07:50 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
jsteinhomes Offline

Just for the record, I had a sit down with my mentor today. He has over thirty years experience, started part-timein real estate, and is currently the Regional VP for our company. His first piece of advice for me was to sit as many open houses as I can to get going and get used to being in front of people talking real estate.

#388874 - 09/07/11 07:59 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: jsteinhomes]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Oh, yeah, as I was telling someone yesterday who DIDN'T buy a house from me (they went with another agent...I chat with them occasionally anyway as you never know what referral could come out of it - matter of fact he mentioned me to someone who's not happy about his own agent right now)...anyway, I told him real estate has its ups and downs, but the one thing you gotta like doing is talking and enjoying people. You'll never be comfortable if you're not comfortable talking and working with people. There are days you'll feel like a recording machine, saying the same things over and over to the same client.

I say, go with the open houses, but be watchful and careful. I'd also say do a few rentals - showing rentals to potential tenants. It's pretty close to what you'd do in sales as far as interacting with people.

Edited by VABroker (09/07/11 07:59 PM)

#388883 - 09/07/11 09:29 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: jsteinhomes]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Just for the record, I had a sit down with my mentor today. He has over thirty years experience, started part-timein real estate, and is currently the Regional VP for our company. His first piece of advice for me was to sit as many open houses as I can to get going and get used to being in front of people talking real estate.

well not to be rude how many transactions did he do off open houses and floortime last year?

my mentor told me that floortime and openhouses are a waste of time and i can get more leads and clients from 5 minutes on the internet for free..

in case you wondering this one of my mentors is realtor mag top 30 under 30 and did 100 of his 270 transactions in 2010 from internet buyer leads alone...

just saying...

#388887 - 09/07/11 10:25 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
jsteinhomes Offline

"not to be rude..." Seriously?

"No offense", but you're being a condescending jerk. And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

And BTW, last month one of his properties sold DIRECTLY from the open house.

As for your "Top 30 Under 30" mentor...I gave those details to show my mentor's experience and why I trust his judgment, not to brag about either him, or myself.

#388894 - 09/07/11 11:58 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

The fact is this. Try anything and everything that you feel comfortable doing. Agents in my office have sold houses at the open house (for that house). I am going on a listing appointment and evaluation tomorrow because the people met me at an open house. My boss got a million dollar listing while sitting at MY open house - I didn't have time to do it so she said she'd go and lo and behold, the neighbor came by and wanted her to see about her house because the neighbor's current agent did squat to sell the house.

I heartily dislike cold calling and door knocking and please watch me poke myself in the eye with sharp sticks before I would ever do it. I hate it, I find it distasteful and because I hate getting cold calls myself, I would never do it. Ever.

But I've said it many times - different strokes for different folks. Others love calling peeps on the phone and dont' care that they harass more people than they convert...they get leads and it works for them. Hurrah.

Real estate is an awesome business because so many different personality styles can thrive if they try. I really wish we would all get past this condescending crap and accept that nobody is the Queen of Hearts - ALL WAYS are NOT YOUR WAYS.

Thank you.

#388896 - 09/08/11 12:20 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
75Corvette Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ohio

I heartily dislike cold calling and door knocking and please watch me poke myself in the eye with sharp sticks before I would ever do it. I hate it, I find it distasteful and because I hate getting cold calls myself, I would never do it. Ever.

This made me laugh because I was picturing a "perky Realtor" stereotype poking herself. Doesn't take much to amuse me! There have been times when I've enjoyed floor time, but they've been rare. I've always found floor time a good time to complete BPOs though. Open houses? Ugh--hours and hours of life I'll never get back. I've never cold called anyone, but I did go door knocking several years ago, when our broker decided we should all do it. I got the impression that many people were suspicious of a stranger coming to their home, even if it was just a harmless, lovable fuzzball like me. Hopefully I'll never have to do it again.

#388902 - 09/08/11 06:20 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: jsteinhomes]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

"not to be rude..." Seriously?

"No offense", but you're being a condescending jerk. And I mean that in the nicest way possible.

As for your "Top 30 Under 30" mentor...I gave those details to show my mentor's experience and why I trust his judgment, not to brag about either him, or myself.

lol, awwww my feelings are hurt..now..
no but seriously..i let you guys attack on me enough..
i notice a trend on here..where i justr let people taking digs at me..and then ya take more digs at me..

then i go on the attack..then the mods say im being mean..weird lil circles..if you guys are making money with floortime and open houses keep doing them...

in real estate the way to keep score is how many clients you help..
and how much income you generate to feed your family..

if you can accomplish both of those with open houses and floortime..thats awesome..
i never stop whats working..so if its working keep doing it..

lighten up,

and best of luck

#388903 - 09/08/11 06:24 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: lindenmoe]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

[quote=jbsnadb]"not to be rude..." Seriously?

is it being a
condescending jerk to take jabs at propecting saying its bothering people?
how bout dissing masterminding OUTSIDE your market?

lol, awwww my feelings are hurt..now..
no but seriously..i let you guys attack on me enough..
i notice a trend on here..where i justr let people taking digs at me..and then ya take more digs at me..

then i go on the attack..then the mods say im being mean..weird lil circles..if you guys are making money with floortime and open houses keep doing them...

in real estate the way to keep score is how many clients you help..
and how much income you generate to feed your family..

if you can accomplish both of those with open houses and floortime..thats awesome..
i never stop whats working..so if its working keep doing it..

lighten up, because on the other thread where i gave advice to the newbie you jumped in an attacked me..when i wasnt even talking to you..
no mods to be found anywhere..which is ok im a big boy..
i only advise on stuff thats actually working and making money..
i cant advise floortime or open houses, because its never made me or my realtor colleagues any money..

and best of luck ,

Edited by lindenmoe (09/08/11 06:45 AM)

#388904 - 09/08/11 06:38 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: lindenmoe]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

and its a common thing on this thread,..
anybody who dares disagree on passive lead generation gets slammed..on here..hard..
i watch you guys slam incredidible giving guys..
like lucky, like one of my mentors jay kinder, like hoss pratt..
and thats not talking down its common sense..
would you rather take stock advice from a top wall st broker?
or some random guy..in the street?
this forum..makes me standoffish because of the attacks...
my own personal opinion is passive forms of lead generation
are dangerous to newbies..and help attribute to nars 80% failure
rate in the first 2 years...thats 8 out of ten realtors
who cant feed they family..thats serious..
only trying to help..and only based on personal opinion...

#388939 - 09/08/11 02:23 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: lindenmoe]
ramanda Offline

Loc: MA
Hi Lindenmoe,

I just recently joined this board and have been soaking up the info. I wanted to let you know that yours and lucky's are the posts i always look forward to reading and pay special attention to as they are always packed with useful info. Just wanted to let you know that you are appreciated!

#388940 - 09/08/11 02:45 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Maui Offline
Veteran Member

To get back on the topic of this thread, I'm not a big fan of doing floor duty more than necessary as it 'ties' me down to a specific schedule. But in the past month, my office has close two transactions totaling over $27M from walk-ins. And I've picked up a couple of buyers looking into the mid 7 figures (of course, I never count on anything until I pick up my check). With that said, I'll continue doing floor duty as the potential ROI on my time is much higher than in other activities (i.e. cold-calling).
Visit our Maui RE Blog, then view our listings of Maui Condos For sale and Andaz Maui at Wailea site for information on this luxury property. View one of the hottest micro-markets in the luxury Kaanapali Honua Kai Condos For Sale.

#388942 - 09/08/11 03:07 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: lindenmoe]
deepsea Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Atlanta GA
Linden, You know I actually think you are on to something with how you work and what you do. However what is happening here is that whenever anyone posts anything about the more passive methods of prospecting, you post two or three long posts bashing it. It makes you sound like Navarac. Seriously. Your way is the only way. Cult kool-aid, troll like behavior. YOU need to lighten up.

The truth is that the cold call guys frequently prospect for three hours for one good lead. Sitting in an open house for three hours with your laptop and air card or hot spot phone, you can actually get work done that has to be done anyway at some time, and every now and then a potential lead walks in. It is not a bad thing in any way shape or form. It makes the seller's happy and I have sold MANY MANY MANY houses in open houses. I don't give a &*(_ what NAR says.

Frequently someone comes in, doesn't say much and later I get an offer from another agent and lo and behold there the guy is at the closing table. That's a sale that was a direct result of the open house.

I had a guy walk in on floor time who wanted to list a package of investment properties. It was about 30 listings. My company currently doesn't have floor time for agents and since in this market I am working mostly buyers, I don't do too many open houses lately. But the principals are sound. Couple them with some prospecting and a newbie can succeed.

At the end of all this I have mad respect for what you do to get business, but the endless repetition of your mantra of how it is the only viable way is reminiscent of your nemesis. People are not attacking your methods only the idea that it is the ONLY WAY anyone can succeed.

#388954 - 09/08/11 04:07 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Maui Offline
Veteran Member

Well said, Dan.

#388955 - 09/08/11 05:28 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
jsteinhomes Offline

Wow. Dan hit it right on the head. That was very well put, sir.

#388957 - 09/08/11 05:38 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Maui]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: maui real estate
Well said, Dan.

aaaaahhhh dan and maui,

the good ole boys network :-)
ok again in case nobody hear me...
if you guys are making boatloads of money from open houses and floortime...then keep doing them..you guys must be in awesome markets....
again-if you are making money from open houses and floortime keep doing them..
and its obvious to all you guys dont read my post..do you?

I dont only prospect..in fact in represents less than 30% of my business..read that last sentence again

and the fact remains.. I can generate more leads in 5 minutes on craigslist..
than you guys can in 5 hours of open house or floortime...
so what only one way is that..
my prospecting?
my direct mail campaigns
my internet marketing campaigns
my sphere of influence campaigns..

so cmon..tell me which one way are you referring..
about the only ways i dont get business
is open houses and floortime..and stupid ego branding stuff
like busbenches, billboards and stuff
it feels PASSIVE to me..
and my mentors tell me to bypass it..
and I did them the first 3-6 months of my career

im tempted to tell you guys go fly a kite because you guys never say nothing when the real trolls attack.

however just cashed a 17k check that i got from a 5 minute craigslist ads so feeling happy today.

all the best..do what works for you..
I'll keep sharing what works for me.. :-)

#388959 - 09/08/11 05:44 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: lindenmoe]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

act is you guys hate anything non passive..lol
if it aint blogging, open houses , floortime.
you guys also hate mentorship, masterminding and coaching..it appears...
only on the internet can you openly bash a guy like jay kinder
mike ferry or hoss pratt..
and then cheer on somebody who hides behind a screen name
that offers zero value..
aqnd dan, cmon..i like you and like maui and perky learned some things about blogging..
but lets not pretend your objective..
where are you when people bash guys like lucky or jay kinder?

and hate all you want..
i didnt see any bloggers, open house or floortime guys in the top 100 wall st journal teams..that came out this week

but i did see 10 of my craig proctor, mike ferry, kinderreeese friends and mentors on there...
in fact that same guy you bashed on this very forum is #23 in the entire world on that list..

and I really cant see why if open houses and floortime wre so effective..

why NONE of the top coaches and trainers reccommend it..
why NONE of the realtor mag top 30 under 30 mention it
or why NONE of the realtors in gary keller book mrea mention them as viable sources of business.... im just curious...

Edited by lindenmoe (09/08/11 05:58 PM)

#388977 - 09/08/11 08:19 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
pastmember Offline

Loc: USA

#388979 - 09/08/11 08:25 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: pastmember]
pastmember Offline

Loc: USA
BTW...I do LOTS of open houses, have billboards, believe in branding..all in moderation.

#388984 - 09/08/11 08:52 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: pastmember]
deepsea Offline
Veteran Member

Linden....I don't think you read my posts either. I have defended the cold callers from day one. I used to do it successfully and have been to a half a dozen Mike Ferry events myself. This was about 20 years ago.

All I am saying is for a new agent, open houses and floor time can be productive. Couple that with some prospecting, some mailing and some SOI networking and they can start to sell some houses. When they are ready to hit the big time they can do what you do, do what I do, do what Perky does, or do what Bigtoe does. Or they can think of something new,.

BTW, I am not a blogger. I have only written about 20 posts in the last 5 years... and 15 of them were in the first year. What I do is completely different. My website is a blog, but it has a lot of static pages that haven't changed at all in years.

There are lots of different ways to skin cats. Lots... and they are all valid. It's about mutual respect. Read my last post. I said I have mad respect for what you do.

#388986 - 09/08/11 08:55 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: deepsea]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: deepsea
Linden....I don't think you read my posts either. I have defended the cold callers from day one. I used to do it successfully and have been to a half a dozen Mike Ferry events myself. This was about 20 years ago.

All I am saying is for a new agent, open houses and floor time can be productive. Couple that with some prospecting, some mailing and some SOI networking and they can start to sell some houses. When they are ready to hit the big time they can do what you do, do what I do, do what Perky does, or do what Bigtoe does. Or they can think of something new,.

BTW, I am not a blogger. I have only written about 20 posts in the last 5 years... and 15 of them were in the first year. What I do is completely different. My website is a blog, but it has a lot of static pages that haven't changed at all in years.

There are lots of different ways to skin cats. Lots... and they are all valid. It's about mutual respect. Read my last post. I said I have mad respect for what you do.

And I for you as well..you and others here like perky and maui have given me tips on certain forms of lead generation..
and i appreciate it..
much respect...to you bud..

#388991 - 09/08/11 10:17 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: lindenmoe]
Maui Offline
Veteran Member

and hate all you want..

::Sigh:: Rethinking whether I should even respond.

Linden, personally, I don't know enough about you to be a 'hater'. And well, I have neither the time or interest to find out more.

You have been very vocal about your opinions. This forum has given you a great platform on which to share your insights of the real estate industry. I'm sure MANY have learned from you and are very grateful for what you have to share. My point is that in the past, you have been very open about bashing anyone who differs in opinion with yours. For example, you have gone at length at how floor duty/open houses don't produce super stars. That's your opinion (which somehow you believe is based on factual evidence) and you are certainly entitled to it. I see that you have a lot to offer the members of this forum, but perhaps it's the way you go about making your points that are a bit unsavory. Clearly you are successful (after all, you keep telling us how you make so much more money than the rest of us), clearly you have pertinent information to share, but it's all on the delivery. I do wish you the best in all your endeavors and I hope you will continue to contribute to the Agents Online community.

#388998 - 09/09/11 05:28 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Maui]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
Apart from Lord Lucky I have learnt a lot from Linden, unlike
Lucky he doesn't hold anything back which is very generous of
him. Lucky on the other hand will just throw out a golden nugget and disappear. Either way I really glad to have these
guys around reminding me of what I have to do each day and
it feels a lot less lonely.

Personally I'm useless with open houses and I'm told by friends
that I'm very good with people. Maybe the fault lies in the fact that I have usually put in a good week of work and deeply
recent the fact that I have to suit up and head out to work on
the weekend or I'm just tired of speaking to people about their
real estate needs and I know for sure that when Monday comes I will not hit my work as hard or as well as when I have had a break.
Mike Ferry drilled this into my head 20 years ago and he was on the money. When you have been talking to people all week long you are "Talked Out" by the weekend.

Taking days off during the work week just feels weird, kinda like being a bum.

Edited by Hunter 308 (09/09/11 05:59 AM)

#389003 - 09/09/11 06:21 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Maui]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

and hate all you want..

::Sigh:: Rethinking whether I should even respond.

Linden, personally, I don't know enough about you to be a 'hater'. And well, I have neither the time or interest to find out more.

You have been very vocal about your opinions. This forum has given you a great platform on which to share your insights of the real estate industry. I'm sure MANY have learned from you and are very grateful for what you have to share. My point is that in the past, you have been very open about bashing anyone who differs in opinion with yours. For example, you have gone at length at how floor duty/open houses don't produce super stars. That's your opinion (which somehow you believe is based on factual evidence) and you are certainly entitled to it. I see that you have a lot to offer the members of this forum, but perhaps it's the way you go about making your points that are a bit unsavory. Clearly you are successful (after all, you keep telling us how you make so much more money than the rest of us), clearly you have pertinent information to share, but it's all on the delivery. I do wish you the best in all your endeavors and I hope you will continue to contribute to the Agents Online community.

hey maui,

i respect that. and will learn to tone it down..appreciate the feedback..i respect and follow you (secretly :-))
on webmaster forum, homegain, etc..
i do have to learn to get my point across with out being abrasive..jersey style..working on it..
my point is never ever to point out how much more i make than anybody
trust me in the masterminds i hang out wit im a ultra low producer..i mention figures to encourage others whats possible..
like if i say i made 100k of internet marketing/craigslist..hoping people take it serious..
or if i mention 50k of my income came from prospecting..its only so they take it serious..
i have never made a penny from blogging, open house, social media, floortime..branding..and ive done all those things
you can probably tell im the type that will try anything to grow my business..then i share what worked and put money in my pocket
maybe im just not doing it right..shrugs..
I test/track everything..like a nutjob..then I share what repeatedly works ..FOR ME...
these are the things that have a direct impact..on MY business
1.prospecting/telemarketing
2. internet marketing-non seo-direct-craigslist..ppc..etc
3. Direct Mail
4. small direct response classified ads and inserts in small local community papers

the 4 sources of business that continually make me money and whom im targeting with the above systems

1. expireds/cancelled withdrwans
2. fsbo
3. motivated..and i try for higher end luxury buyers
4. my past clients -database-sphere

the above is my systems in a nutshell..I wish i could say i
created them..

I actually just got them from coaching , masterminds
and my mentors and reading lots of books...my thinking is..

success leaves clues-by tony robbins

and if my friends can get in the top 100 wallst journal list..
by following and applying what they do..hopefully one day i can be on that list..

all the best and much success to you all,
hope my bad grammer and rambling doesnt hid the message.. ;-)

#389005 - 09/09/11 06:54 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: lindenmoe]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

once last thought before im off to jump on the phones and prospect (bother people..lol)
i just want to illustrate something..
the above plans i use i got directly..from a few amazing sharing guys who i encourage people to follow because they have been a blessing in my life...
in the recent wall st journal i will name a few i either know personally, or mentor or in masterminds with
just to show common threads

1.jay kinder top 25 real estate tean=m in the world
shared mentors- craig proctor/mike ferry

2. jeff glover top 100 in the world- mike ferry

3. mike reese-top 250 in the world-craigproctor/mikeferry/kindereese

4. ben kinney- ismd top 100 in the world

5 audrey bustamente-craig proctor/kindereese

common threads among them
all coached or mentored by either mike ferry/craig proctor/kindereese-or other mentors like jat abraham/dan kenedy/tony robbins

1. all heavily built thier business on
1. expireds/fsbos/cancelled withdrwans
2. agressive internet buyer lead generation
3.sphere of influence past clients/referrals

all heavily built their business on
1. telemarketing/prospecting
2. direct response agressive direct mail programs
3. all use scripts/dialogues and sytems
4. all are in mentorship/masterminds/coaching groups

those are the common threads that i just follow

#389276 - 09/13/11 09:47 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Works for them and I'm happy for them. What I do works for me and I'm happy for me. smile

#389290 - 09/14/11 06:23 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Works for them and I'm happy for them. What I do works for me and I'm happy for me. smile

i know, you have built an amazing internet web,..
im mostly talking to newbies, who dont have thousands of pages indexed and tens of thousands of backlinks..

that there are things they can do today..to get paid in 90 days

"success leaves clues"- Anthony Robbins

Edited by lindenmoe (09/14/11 06:25 AM)

#389291 - 09/14/11 06:51 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: lindenmoe]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Yeah, cause I was *never* a newbie.

#389292 - 09/14/11 06:51 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

I just woke up and one day, whamo, I had all this stuff.

#389298 - 09/14/11 08:11 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

In fact, I am still new to this. I never really got my own website STARTED until late 2007, and it didn't take me very long at all to get in the top of the search engines because I learned how to do it. Most of those links you are all agog over are from my signature in this forum; and my activerain blog. ROFL.

By the end of 2007 I had exactly 2 sales to my name - one was a personal referral and one was a lead I captured from my blog...I started blogging in March or April, got the lead in July, got fired for having a blog, started at a new office, kept the lead, and had that closing by December.

I also had gotten two listings from my blogging efforts, which get to the top of search engines IMMEDIATELY - if you do it right. you're hung up on page rank and back links and I don't give a rip about either of those.

You just wanna stay in that "newbies can't do it" frame of mind...to justify annoying people on the phone wink (LOL...just kidding)

Edited by Perky_REALTOR (09/14/11 09:59 AM)
Edit Reason: clarifying

#389314 - 09/14/11 10:35 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: SW Okla
By the way, linden, just to let you know - I worked for Jay Kinder throughout 2010. He's a good guy, but I did not stay with his company when he went independent at the first of this year. I respect him, and he's a whale of motivational speaker - no doubt about it. However, his style is not mine - and that's okay.

LIMITATIONS: Until You Spread Your Wings, You'll Have No Idea How Far You Can Walk. - despair.com

#389347 - 09/14/11 02:24 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: barb43]
TylerMeyerRE Offline

Loc: Lake Geneva, Wisconsin
Sorry to go off topic, but why in the world would you be fired for having a blog Perky?

#389348 - 09/14/11 02:27 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

My broker at the time had forbidden agents from having their own websites. (didn't want any competition, of course). When I asked about if I could have a blog on ActiveRain, the broker was OK with that, thinking it was like MySpace I guess and I'd just be putting stupid stuff on it. I used it for lead generation, of course....and they found it and told me to take it down. I said no, I have a listing and several leads from it, I am not going to take it down...so they fired me.

I learned two valuable lessons: do not work for a competing broker, and make sure your broker allows you to have your own website lead generation. LOL

#389376 - 09/14/11 06:32 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

That would be silly for a broker to fire you because of lead generation, unless they're not getting any cut of the commission; otherwise, very dumb, word DOES get around.

Perky - Where do we learn how your blog has risen so high?

#389382 - 09/14/11 07:28 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Micklola Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Perky, you crack me up!

#389386 - 09/14/11 10:01 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: VABroker]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

grin

My blog - everything I learned I learned on ActiveRain. there are many many tutorials on blogging for business there. Much of what I learned I got from a wonderful lady who has since passed away - Karen George. I also picked up a lot of tricks from Katerina Gassett. The old RSS Pieces blog was very helpful but it's different now so I don't know if it's still the wealth of info it was. And there is a ton of great info on The Real Estate Tomato.

I also read some books on blogging - one notable one was Realty Blogging (probably now somewhat obsolete, it's very old, probably at least 4 years, lol).

Bottom line is I just kept digging. I read, and read, and read some more. Instead of spending my days bugging people on the phone, I spent it learning how to get my blog to generate leads. I got quick results (I had leads coming in pretty early on, but as I shared earlier, in my area, people are just as likely to "look" here and then buy in another state because they are not sure where they're going to buy a vacation home, and very few people have a real sense of "urgency" when it comes to typical vacation homes.

#389387 - 09/14/11 10:05 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: VABroker]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

That would be silly for a broker to fire you because of lead generation, unless they're not getting any cut of the commission; otherwise, very dumb, word DOES get around.

It was crazy. They wanted to control all the leads that came into the office and dole them out as they saw fit. they were OK with other forms of lead generation, like expensive things like farming and advertising and stuff. That was fine. But the internet, well, no, that was nobody's right but theirs. LOL. Well, I found a broker that understood that if the agents make money, the broker makes money. smirk

#389396 - 09/15/11 05:09 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

In fact, I am still new to this. I never really got my own website STARTED until late 2007, and it didn't take me very long at all to get in the top of the search engines because I learned how to do it. Most of those links you are all agog over are from my signature in this forum; and my activerain blog. ROFL.

By the end of 2007 I had exactly 2 sales to my name - one was a personal referral and one was a lead I captured from my blog...I started blogging in March or April, got the lead in July, got fired for having a blog, started at a new office, kept the lead, and had that closing by December.

I also had gotten two listings from my blogging efforts, which get to the top of search engines IMMEDIATELY - if you do it right. you're hung up on page rank and back links and I don't give a rip about either of those.

You just wanna stay in that "newbies can't do it" frame of mind...to justify annoying people on the phone wink (LOL...just kidding)

i never say cant..that word isnt in my vocabulary..
i said it takes time...
google has changed,..you dont give a hoot about how many pages indexed, or backlinks..
unfortunately..google does...
if you and another blogger is equal in writiung skills...
he can beat you just by having more pages indexed and more backlinks...
google has changed..i used to rank keywords with 1 minute videos..now thats much tougher to do..
and google still does care about on page
alt image tags
keyword density
key word in h1,h2,h3 tags
length of articles etc,..
i learned all that stuff years ago from rss pieces and those other sources you named,..
try ranking for any keywords in 2011 google
with out good onpage seo..

#389409 - 09/15/11 08:13 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

I never said to try anything without onpage seo. Where do you get that? That's all part of doing it right. If I were just randomly blogging and creating a website without a thought to SEO I would be nowhere.

Regardless of what you say the overall tone of the majority of your posts is for newbies to forget online stuff and focus on cold calling.

#389411 - 09/15/11 08:18 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

And...google is ALWAYS changing, but one fact remains - content is king. If you have crappy content even if you rank well, PEOPLE won't care and they'll ignore your site and move to the next one.

When I said I don't give a hoot about backlinks I should have clarified - I am not focused on creating backlinks. They just happen...every time I post here, every time I post a blog. Every email I send out gets links in it, every profile page I have set up has my link in it. It really wasn't that much of an effort to get those links - yes it took time...but...consider this:

In MANY (if not most) markets, the majority of realtors are not internet savvy (shoot, many of the agents I know don't even have their own website, let alone a blog.) It is not that hard to rise to the top, though that will change if more young agents who grasp the idea of the internet come along and become competition.

At this point in time many agents are still in the "old school" frame of thought. In some markets (esp. in the Pacific Northwest, I'll bet) where tech is king, yeah, it will be harder to compete. But I daresay that many new agents can get right to the top right away for targeted key words if they try.

#389431 - 09/15/11 10:28 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
deepsea Offline
Veteran Member

It doesn't have anything to do with how many backlinks you have. One followed backlink from a trusted site (like NY Times) will trump 15,000 weak links. Forum comments, blog comments and those type of links are practically worthless.

#389439 - 09/15/11 11:31 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

And...google is ALWAYS changing, but one fact remains - content is king. If you have crappy content even if you rank well, PEOPLE won't care and they'll ignore your site and move to the next one.

When I said I don't give a hoot about backlinks I should have clarified - I am not focused on creating backlinks. They just happen...every time I post here, every time I post a blog. Every email I send out gets links in it, every profile page I have set up has my link in it. It really wasn't that much of an effort to get those links - yes it took time...but...consider this:

In MANY (if not most) markets, the majority of realtors are not internet savvy (shoot, many of the agents I know don't even have their own website, let alone a blog.) It is not that hard to rise to the top, though that will change if more young agents who grasp the idea of the internet come along and become competition.

At this point in time many agents are still in the "old school" frame of thought. In some markets (esp. in the Pacific Northwest, I'll bet) where tech is king, yeah, it will be harder to compete. But I daresay that many new agents can get right to the top right away for targeted key words if they try.

depends on if you live near or outside a major metro area,..
for instance in my market im not just competing with well funded brokers..
im competing againt zillow, homes.com, zillow , individual realtors,.. even long tail has extreme competition..

such as trump plaza jersey city..
or 77 hudson jersey city

these are long tails yet, still some pretty heavy competition on them,..

and dan,

doesnt change my point..if you have zero backlinks and your competition has them..

and everything else is equal you will get outranked,..
google counts pages indexed and off page seo such as
backlinks,..

google is always lying..like how they say paid links dont count, keyword density dont count, anchor text dont count..its all nonsense..

i wouldnt trust google for seo advice..

i go to guys like aaron wall, seobook, seomoz etc..

in every industry..there are best practices..although we like
to pretend..ours is no different,..

no freebies in seo in competitive markets..
you better have good on-page
and a good backlinking strategy..or you wont even be on page 10 of google in competitive markets

#389445 - 09/15/11 12:58 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: green2gold88]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

I'm always competing against zillow, trulia, and my own franchise...weichert.com. LOL. I know I'm not getting "all" the leads, I don't want them all. I snag the people who want a personal touch.

And it pays off in spades.

#389482 - 09/15/11 06:20 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

I'm always competing against zillow, trulia, and my own franchise...weichert.com. LOL. I know I'm not getting "all" the leads, I don't want them all. I snag the people who want a personal touch.

And it pays off in spades.

I totally agree it pays off..and is worth the effort..
like say you spent a half hour each day writing a good blogpost 500 words...
then a half hour of participating on forums that gives a backlink..like here and others. like commenting on other blogs...
thats 30 hours a month
if you did that 2 months straight and generate 1 sale
at 6,000
thats $100 per hour...

#390037 - 09/22/11 12:57 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: lindenmoe]
Maui Offline
Veteran Member

then a half hour of participating on forums that gives a backlink..like here and others. like commenting on other blogs...
thats 30 hours a month
at 6,000
thats $100 per hour...

LOL, well, I have a VERY distinct way of doing business than Linden and view the industry differently, but I have to respect his methodical ways and how he analyzes every aspect of his business practice.

#390112 - 09/22/11 08:27 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

My broker at the time had forbidden agents from having their own websites. (didn't want any competition, of course). When I asked about if I could have a blog on ActiveRain, the broker was OK with that, thinking it was like MySpace I guess and I'd just be putting stupid stuff on it. I used it for lead generation, of course....and they found it and told me to take it down. I said no, I have a listing and several leads from it, I am not going to take it down...so they fired me.

I learned two valuable lessons: do not work for a competing broker, and make sure your broker allows you to have your own website lead generation. LOL
1)Perky = ahead of the curve
2) wunderbar advice

#390414 - 09/27/11 10:33 AM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: Maui]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

thats 30 hours a month
at 6,000
thats $100 per hour...

LOL, well, I have a VERY distinct way of doing business than Linden and view the industry differently, but I have to respect his methodical ways and how he analyzes every aspect of his business practice.

we all play different when somebody keeping score..:-)

#390576 - 09/29/11 12:07 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: lindenmoe]
BrokerSuccess Offline

Loc: Florida
Yes, less than 1% sell at an Open House...

For an agent though - you know you are probably not going to sell that specific home - BUT, if you work the Open House correctly, you should get 2 more pieces of business on average from every Open House that you host.

You have to go after the buyers and the hidden gem from Open Houses... sellers!

#390593 - 09/29/11 03:25 PM Re: Open Houses and Floor Time [Re: BrokerSuccess]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: BrokerSuccess
Yes, less than 1% sell at an Open House...

For an agent though - you know you are probably not going to sell that specific home - BUT, if you work the Open House correctly, you should get 2 more pieces of business on average from every Open House that you host.

You have to go after the buyers and the hidden gem from Open Houses... sellers!

do you have any data on that? loose data..like from clients..
like from my own business
internet marketing -about
50-100
leads per month
about 10 buyers per month
about 1-2 closings a month
which has generated about 100k Gross<----NOT NET
of which im spenting about 10% of that gross..
to generate the business
and about 1-2 hours per day mon-fri on the phone

im open to open houses..just trying to see if the numbers make sense

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
kmajors, alen111, deanne, Cupcakes, whoiamnow
30193 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (grexley, Trouble, 1 invisible), 68 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Vermont 19
Trouble 17
estatereal 11
Z06Fanatic 10
Mr. Clean 8
newagent2028 8
HChomat 7
T.T. 6
Big Kahuna 5