Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Free Foreclosure Webinar

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28600612
No new orders today 13153179
Stupid MLS comments. 3368143
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1241636
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1110998
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1065402
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 854536
Let's talk about our cars 705927
Most common items found at an REO 631017
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 630075
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 621186
REOTRANS 468972
EML 459235
Main Street 452519
asset val seminar in colorado 427200
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 357951
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 333326
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#386862 - 08/17/11 05:59 AM Questions about calling FSBO's?
Broker514 Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
I called a FSBO yesterday and had a very productive and pleasant 10 minute conversation with her.

I got information on her property, got the price she is asking and why they are NOT selling with a Broker.

I am going to follow up and call her back this week and schedule an appointment with her to show the house, if my buyer does not want the property, HOW DO I GET THE LISTING?

So...

1) What do you say when you call FSBO's?
2) What do you say to get the listing?
3) What do you do if they sound interested on the phone?

Also, please give me any other information that will help me, I plan to call A LOT of FSBO's

Edited by Broker514 (08/17/11 05:59 AM)

Advertisements
#386866 - 08/17/11 06:54 AM Re: Questions about calling FSBO's? [Re: Broker514]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Originally Posted By: Broker514
I am going to follow up and call her back this week and schedule an appointment with her to show the house, if my buyer does not want the property, HOW DO I GET THE LISTING?

Do you really need the Listing ?

If they gave you permission to present it to your Client, then sell it to this Customer/Client or the next Customer/Client. If you're representing these Buyers, you probably don't want to also represent the Seller anyway. Just disclose your Agency relationship with the Buyer to the Seller.

The objective is not so much to get the Listing; but to get the SALE! You don't need the Listing to make the Sale.

I like these because there's only One Cook in the Kitchen. I'm doing one right now representing a Buyer in the Purchase of an Expired . . . . same kind of deal. The Seller is tired of being on the market and doesn't want to re-list; but told me where the "secret" key is, and gave me permission to present it to my Client Buyer. I'll do the paperwork ALONE and take 3% from the proceeds of the Transaction.

Everybody wins . . . . The Buyer pays a bit less; the Seller pays no Commission; and I don't have to carry someone else's ill-equipped Agent across the finish line.

#386872 - 08/17/11 08:04 AM Re: Questions about calling FSBO's? [Re: Broker514]
lindenmoe Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: jersey city
Originally Posted By: Broker514
I called a FSBO yesterday and had a very productive and pleasant 10 minute conversation with her.

I got information on her property, got the price she is asking and why they are NOT selling with a Broker.

So...

1) What do you say when you call FSBO's?
2) What do you say to get the listing?
3) What do you do if they sound interested on the phone?

Also, please give me any other information that will help me, I plan to call A LOT of FSBO's

ask some great questions like..

why did you choose to sell on your own?
if i could show you how to NET more money, in a shorter period of time would you be open to that?
if i could show you some marketing techniques that you are not cxurrently using, or that may help you make it better, are you open to that?
how long will you take before you explore other options?
whats more important..selling the home yourself..or netting the most amount of money?

#386881 - 08/17/11 09:44 AM Re: Questions about calling FSBO's? [Re: Broker514]
Broker514 Offline

Loc: Montreal, Quebec
@Vermont
- Yes, I need the listing and I always look for business no matter what, where and with who.

@lindenmoe
- Awesome questions and thank you so much for the help.

Anyone else have any help, feedback and questions for me???

#398889 - 01/16/12 10:11 AM Re: Questions about calling FSBO's? [Re: Broker514]
Rezo Offline

Loc: Malaysia
Just mention you have ready buyers for the properties!!!

#398931 - 01/16/12 05:48 PM Re: Questions about calling FSBO's? [Re: Broker514]
kRealtor Offline

Loc: Woodland Hills, CA
I just went on a listing appt last week that I got from cold calling a fsbo. I didnt go very well lol. For some reason I got kind of nervous and was not at my best... just takes practice I guess.

My FSBO cold call:
Hi I am calling about (address)
I understand you are selling this property on your own.
Are you co-operating w/ buyer's agents?
I would love to preview it my self as I may have some buyers that may be interested.
I would also like to drop off my marketing plan... feel free to use it on your own, or if you'd like, I would like to show you how you can NET more for your property w/ my services

#398934 - 01/16/12 06:10 PM Re: Questions about calling FSBOs? [Re: Broker514]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: KRealtor
". . . For some reason I got kind of nervous and was not at my best. . ."

So where did you have a little stumble ?

#398954 - 01/16/12 08:16 PM Re: Questions about calling FSBOs? [Re: Broker514]
Home Seller Guru Offline

Loc: Salt Lake City, UT
It just takes practice. Don't worry about the ones that don't go right, just learn from them. And when things DO go right and you say something that has an impact, write it down so you can remember and develop your own scripts that work for your area.

Just keep swinging the bat.

#398957 - 01/16/12 08:37 PM Re: Questions about calling FSBOs? [Re: Broker514]
SaltspringRE Offline

Loc: Gulf Islands BC
It would be nice to know how agent514 made out considering this was posted last august.

Really don't like your response Rezo nothing personal but I do not tell lies ever. I always figure one day we with other be in front of our maker or judge and those little lies are what hang people. Best to be up front and just say I want to list your home. The truth pays.

#398973 - 01/17/12 12:43 AM Re: Questions about calling FSBOs? [Re: Vermont]
kRealtor Offline

Loc: Woodland Hills, CA
[quote=Vermont][quote=KRealtor]". . . For some reason I got kind of nervous and was not at my best. . ."[/quote]
So where did you have a little stumble ? [/quote]

Not sure, I never really took control of the meeting. The initial call was good, then I dropped off my package (about my company, marketing plan, comps, etc) a day before for him to view. That is the first time I do that, and it may have thrown me off a bit. Anyways, at the meeting, I was hesitant, all over the place, and didn't even get close to taking control or being enthusiastic (I am not charismatic by nature, but I usually pull it off OK).

#398978 - 01/17/12 07:38 AM Re: Questions about calling FSBOs? [Re: kRealtor]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

It sounded like a short simple presentation, that would be attractive to a FSBO who's really motivated.

These people are all about saving money, so any "real" help that doesn't come with a Fee is appreciated . . . . even if you're initially re-buffed.

They get plenty of advice from your competing Listing Agents and also their Friends Relatives, and Neighbors, whose motivation has to be questioned. Most think that if you're trying to sell in this market, then you must be in financial difficulty . . . . and they often just want to make themselves feel better by comparing their own situation to the FSBO.

Real help, from someone who's non-judgemental, and solid, to talk to, with no strings attached can reap great benefits. I'd be careful about giving them all of your stuff at once . . . . let them know that you have services that could help them, and advice which is of real value, and let them ask for assistance. Just let them know that "you have it".

The Marketing Plan for example, is something which has to be tailored to their specific property and their own motivations, financial needs, and timeframe. Without their loosening up and revealing some of their specifics, such a plan cannot be refined until a later date . . . . but "you" could do it.

Like a Good Comedian . . . . always leave them wanting more !

And in my State, I always use this visit to leave a copy of our Mandatory Agency Disclosure . . . . in this case to let them know that I might be representing a Buyer for their property in the future. This allows me to smoothly transition to a discussion of how carefully I pre-qualify the potential Buyers that I deal with before bringing them to a house that I'm presenting. With a FSBO, they have to perform the function of the Listing Agent . . . . but the objective remains the same; to sell the property . . . . and you don't need to have a Listing Agreement to make the Sale. Just another unseen service that they may not have thought of.

#399002 - 01/17/12 10:45 AM Re: Questions about calling FSBO's? [Re: kRealtor]
Bay Area Brian Offline
Veteran Member

Nothing really wrong with your cold call approach, I would only change one thing to start, and that is forget the net more speech until later when your actually with the fsbo and the time is right.

Example, "Well Mr. FSBO, thank you for showing me your house, tell me did you or any of the other owners ever have a real estate license? The reason I ask is often times I run into former agents that are trying to sell by owner and and one clue they might have been agents is they are aware that it is a good policy to co-op with agents, and it makes it easier if I can use the day to day terminology of the business." (this is true and serves as a mini pitch as well a finding out if they are or ever were agents, and is a stepping stone) "One reason former agents co-op is they are really aware that the important thing is how much they net on the sale and not what is paid to a agent and I'm sure that is what is important to you, am I right?"

#400612 - 02/07/12 09:54 AM Re: Questions about calling FSBO's? [Re: Rezo]
ThePropertyDon Offline

Loc: Ontario Canada
[quote=Rezo]

[/quote]

Just make sure you bring those "buyers" through the property when someone else gets the listing. I hear that same line from FSBOs all the time.."Joe Blow from ABC Realty told me he has buyers for my house".

My response? "Great, I'll give Joe Blow a call as soon as we get it listed and have him bring his buyers through". Invariably, Joe Blow and his "buyers" never materialize.

#401007 - 02/11/12 07:59 PM Re: Questions about calling FSBO's? [Re: ThePropertyDon]
Bay Area Brian Offline
Veteran Member

Never, never, never use the I have the buyers ploy, what that does with the normal FSBO is they say to themselves, oh great there are buyers for my house, maybe I should get a bigger sign or put an ad in the paper this weekend.

If you do have a buyer with a BA Agreement then show the home and make some points, and maybe lightning will strike and you will sell it. No BA go for a one showing listing, or 3-7 day, or even an open for 30 days.

But of course you have to have some real buyers unless you are like one agent I knew who used hired buyers who posed as such for a small fee versus making them up.

#401078 - 02/13/12 05:55 AM Re: Questions about calling FSBO's? [Re: Rezo]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
Originally Posted By: Rezo

This little lie is one of the reasons we agents have such a bad reputation with the public.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
InternGrinder, Diamond Concrete, OnTheDownload, rhea_re, Preferred Group
30254 Registered Users
Who's Online
2 registered (MontereyBroker, 1 invisible), 38 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Advertisement

Top Posters (30 Days)
dotcom_agents 16
Tim Bizz 14
Trouble 13
Vermont 11
T.T. 11
gitmonee 10
estatereal 10
Daniel1234 8