Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28591534
No new orders today 13151722
Stupid MLS comments. 3367254
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1240906
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1110533
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1064963
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 853994
Let's talk about our cars 705593
Most common items found at an REO 629953
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 629718
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 620744
REOTRANS 468693
EML 459235
Main Street 452108
asset val seminar in colorado 426944
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 357696
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 332973
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#372310 - 04/11/11 06:40 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Lucky Leonardo Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: CA
Perky your market for the most part is different than ours when you are selling a vacation home.
Open houses do work if you use your head.
If should be a desirable listing. If it's old it's not desirable and mostly a waste of time. Best to do open houses on homes in hot areas, where the buyers that visit must sell something to get into that home.
If it is desirable, the hot motivated buyers will come.

Having said that, I have not worked weekends since January since i took possession of our rental properties. My wife and i have been screening tenants and working on our passive income and yet I have had my best first quarter ever. It's amazing what we can accomplish if we are forced to be efficient. Besides, if you are married, relying on open houses are a recipe for divorce and if you are single it's not having a life when you are tied to real estate each weekend when the rest of the world is off.

Edited by lucky (04/11/11 06:59 AM)

Advertisements
#372317 - 04/11/11 09:24 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Lucky Leonardo]
Jon112 Offline

Loc: Toronto
Lucky,

Have you every tried to cold call on the weekends? I would think more people would be home vs a week day. I was thinking of giving up open houses to door knock on the weekend.

Here is a prime example of why I am tired of open houses:

Out of lets say 10 groups of people, 3 had agents. The rest of the people either had agents in mind or were not ready to speak with an agent.

I am sure someone with more experience could have gotten an appointment with them, but I couldn't.

Then, I had only one person who said that she would like to meet with me, but she had to ask her husband. I said sure, lets potentially try for monday and I will call you sunday night to confirm.

I called last night and they are "not sure they are ready". Its another name in my database, but it just seems open houses really are looking for a needle in a haystack.

#372319 - 04/11/11 09:33 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: London, Ontario
Personally I find open houses to be one of key sources of lead generation. In a lot of ways they are the reverse of door knocking.

With an open house the leads come to you and you need to figure out a way to get back into touch with them. With door knocking you know how to get back in touch with them, you just need to figure out if they are leads or not.

#372333 - 04/11/11 02:41 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Kjmendy]
MHT Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Where I am (about 20 minutes from Kjmendy) open houses are usually a bust. I am in a rural area and people just do not come out to open houses. If we get 1-2 groups through then we consider that a decent open house. We find that it tends to disappoint the seller more than it helps. When we have listings in the larger centres in the area then we will do them because people actually show up. An agent that I used to work with had been working in the area for over 20 years (and was one of the top agents)....one day I asked her how many houses she had sold over her career as a direct result of an open house....her answer? 2.

#372382 - 04/12/11 07:02 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Lucky Leonardo Offline
Major Contributor

Open houses are for generating leads, not necessarily for selling the listing. ( statistical fact from NAR) Just because an agent sells a listing while doing an open house, doesn't mean that listing would not have sold without the open house.

#372384 - 04/12/11 07:08 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Lucky Leonardo Offline
Major Contributor

Jon; yes prospecting on the weekends is more efficient than weekdays but if you generate enough leads and appointments during the week you don't have to beat your head against the wall by making real estate your life and having to work weekends while the rest of the world is at play.

#372768 - 04/15/11 08:54 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

Door knocking has been a little slow this week due to weather and a few other things. I picked up 1 lead this week which was the first door I actually knocked on.

I have only been able to do about a hour of door knocking because I notice that I then get hungry or legs get a little tired, etc. So I think I will take a few breaks when doing it to make me able to stay out longer.

I am going to try to get 1.5-2 hrs a day from now on, and I plan on door knocking both days this weekend and follow up with the leads I got.

The other week I got about 6 leads, but I never really had a chance to talk to the owners, it was the neighbours telling me that the guy across the street wants to sell. I have left packages and mailed things to them, so I will knock on their doors again. If that doesn't work, then I will call them.

Not much else I can do after that.

#372893 - 04/16/11 11:13 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

It has been cold and windy the last few days so door knocking has not gone as well as I hoped. That being said, I was still able to get 1 lead from it, and he took my card and said he was retired and thinking of downsizing.

I suppose if I get even 1 lead in 1.5 hrs of door knocking, that's not too bad.

The biggest thing I have noticed is that not a lot of people seem to be home when I do it, which is why I wanted to door knock on the weekend, but its raining at the moment.

I need to keep track of my numbers better , but at this point I would say its fair to say that at this point, out of 10 people I talk to, I get 1 lead. So at 10:1 ratio isn't too shabby I dont think.

#372894 - 04/16/11 11:31 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada

Two hours out hunting will usually give you something
to take home plus you will feel better which is so
important.

#372895 - 04/16/11 11:35 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

Agreed. I would love to walk away with more then 1 lead per day but I think thats still not too bad. And if I work it well, chances are not many other agents will know that they are looking to sell. Unlike open house leads, which you have to fight to get to see you since they talked to 10 other agents.

#373349 - 04/21/11 09:52 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
DerrickTeam Offline

Loc: Indy Metro West
Originally Posted By: Jon112
Agreed. I would love to walk away with more then 1 lead per day but I think thats still not too bad. And if I work it well, chances are not many other agents will know that they are looking to sell. Unlike open house leads, which you have to fight to get to see you since they talked to 10 other agents.

Some visitors to OH's are shopping for agents. We have 2 nice listings coming up from noisy neighbors who liked us. We've had people come in just wanting to meet the agents (us) who are always doing OH's (almost every Sunday) in the area. That's pretty priceless free advertising.

As far as wasting time, I always have work to do while sitting for those OH's that are a bust.

Most of all, it makes our sellers happy that we are actually taking time to help sell their listing. Our clients take that we are seriously trying to market their home, in every way we can.

#373350 - 04/21/11 09:54 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Yes, I will never understand the disdain realtors have for "nosy neighbors." They are potential sellers, you idiots! LOL

One of my open houses last year yielded quite a few nosy neighbors. Those nosy neighbors kept my card and called me several months later when a different home in the area went on the market, they used me to buy it and they listed their existing house with me. Never would have met them if not for the open house.

Edited by Perky_REALTOR (04/21/11 09:56 AM)

#373778 - 04/26/11 12:59 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
seattleite Offline

Loc: Seattle, Wa
Door knocking, like mass mailers, cold calling, Expireds, FSBOs, Craigslist ads, floor time, open houses, and virtually anything else out there works, as long as you stay consistent with it. Again, the key is consistency...

#374403 - 05/02/11 10:08 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

I am going to do my best to hold open houses in my door knocking "farm" area, just to get my name out a little more.

The weather has been so terrible I have not been able to do it in a while. I am also thinking of when I do go out and do it, to do it after 4 pm when people are home.

The only problem with this, is I can get lazy and not do it.

#374412 - 05/02/11 11:26 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
Strong Jon,

The weather in Toronto has been brutal for weeks.

Any activity that gets you out in the world meeting
new people is going to help you a lot.

A Farming lady were I work does open houses from
late afernoon to early evening, there is always
tons of traffic on the road at this time. I have
never tried this but it's hard to see were you
could go wrong.

When the weather improves try doing 100 doors morning
and 100 in the afternoon. Give it at least a week.

Edited by Hunter 30-06 (05/02/11 12:05 PM)

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
karynmurphy, HBH, Dianne, Indexer, LITO
30243 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
dotcom_agents 16
T.T. 16
Trouble 14
Mr. Clean 11
estatereal 11
Vermont 9
gitmonee 8
VABroker 5
silex 5