Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Free Foreclosure Webinar

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28597998
No new orders today 13152886
Stupid MLS comments. 3367922
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1241441
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1110753
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1065304
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 854420
Let's talk about our cars 705845
Most common items found at an REO 630631
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 630026
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 621070
REOTRANS 468903
EML 459235
Main Street 452369
asset val seminar in colorado 427182
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 357938
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 333201
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#371385 - 04/01/11 01:50 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: REODayton]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario
Originally Posted By: REODayton
"I recently printed up just sold postcards that I drop in the mail boxes of the people that aren't home(i.e 2/3 to 3/4 of them)....might as well since I'm standing at the front door any way."

@ Jon- Claiming that you did not know that this was against the law is not a defense? You would be suprised at how many people actually report this to the USPS.

Not illegal in Toronto.

Advertisements
#371391 - 04/01/11 02:55 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Rah]
Jon112 Offline

Loc: Toronto
""I recently printed up just sold postcards that I drop in the mail boxes of the people that aren't home(i.e 2/3 to 3/4 of them)....might as well since I'm standing at the front door any way."
----------

For one, I didn't type that, I only leave a card behind.. If that.

Second, that is in a lot of marketing material. Just solds, listed, price drop's, etc.

So if that is "illegal" then its not in Canada, unless they sellers have asked you not to give out that info.

Edited by Jon112 (04/01/11 02:56 PM)

#371393 - 04/01/11 03:21 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Originally Posted By: Jon112

So if that is "illegal" then its not in Canada, unless they sellers have asked you not to give out that info.

What REO meant is that it is illegal to put things in mailboxes, regardless of the material, either not realizing you are in Canada or assuming that Canada postal regulations are similar to here.

#371413 - 04/01/11 06:07 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
Jon,

Look, we don't live in Egypt or America we live in a free country called Canada. We are kinda like Vikings, strong and brave people, we don't live in a police state and don't need big brother to protect us from the guys riding around on camels. Camels can't swim across ocean anyway's.

Just make a goal to go out and knock on 100 doors a day. After a few days someone will say "hey, I hate my husband and need to sell this joint" or " I'm too old for this friggen house and I want out" CAN YOU HELP ME?

ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY IS YES I CAN HELP YOU. WHEN IS A GOOD TIME TO SHOW YOU STUFF. And if they say well Lucky called on the phone just tell them he is a lazy guy sitting on his bum and he wont do a good job for you because of this problem with being lazy.

Edited by Hunter 30-06 (04/01/11 06:40 PM)

#371445 - 04/02/11 09:33 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

Bad day of door knocking yesterday, no one was home and the few I did talk to were not leads. Today I am putting together a package to follow up with the leads I did get through out the week.

I am hoping that something good will happen today :)

#371464 - 04/02/11 01:16 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: Jon112
Bad day of door knocking yesterday, no one was home and the few I did talk to were not leads. Today I am putting together a package to follow up with the leads I did get through out the week.

I am hoping that something good will happen today smile

Ultimately you will find, as so many others, that this is an abject waste of time. And even if it did work, spending one's life in this way is so odious that what little money does result will not be worth earning.

Better to perfect yourself as an agent and become better at it than anyone else in your area, and follow that up with a dynamic website that explains how and why you are best. Then leverage that with social media and forum participation to the point where the business comes to you and you can be real picky about what business you even want.

Or, at least take some vacuum cleaners along for the 99% of door knocks that end up as dead ends as far as real estate. Everyone has dirty carpets...

#371480 - 04/02/11 04:36 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: navarac]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada

Why are you so attracted to door knocking/active prostecting
threads? Use your energy to contribute your learning in your
own realm. Have you ever seen me comment on Perky's high tech
way of working, never. She is the high priest in this area and
I have no interest in knocking her down.

And don't give us your usual speel of trying to save agents
from going down the wrong path. You think your a smart monkey
then show them your path.

Edited by Hunter 30-06 (04/02/11 09:53 PM)

#371485 - 04/02/11 06:11 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Hunter 308]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Hunter 30-06

You don't give us your usual speel of trying to save agents
from going down the wrong path. You thing your a smart monkey

My goal is to save the profession from further negative perception. And having out-of-work agents running around house to house begging for business helps contribute to the vacuum cleaner salesman image that we presently enjoy.

So if he is going to do it, I merely thought that having a few vacuum cleaners in tow would help the continuity of his image. Everyone likes consistency.

#371491 - 04/02/11 07:00 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: navarac]
Lucky Leonardo Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: CA
Nanvarac; why don't you stand up in front of the class and tell everyone how much money you have mad so far this year by waiting for people to call YOU?

Especially since you are such an important person that what we do is so beneath you.

Personally, I would shovel manure to make $1,000,000 a year especially if it was in my backyard. I have no problem with status or Illusions of grandeur or self importance.

#371497 - 04/02/11 08:29 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Lucky - out of curiosity - what is the overall average sale price for homes in your market area?

For mine, though we sell anything from 50,000 foreclosures to 1,000,000 lakefronts, the average is around 150,000.

Of course then you have the difference between Canada dollars and US dollars....

#371499 - 04/02/11 09:36 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
MHT Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I believe the average sale price in Toronto right now is $425,000+

#371501 - 04/02/11 09:43 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Jon112 Offline

Last time i checked the us dollar was pretty much on par with the canadian dollar.

#371502 - 04/02/11 09:54 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: navarac]
Jon112 Offline

I dont understand all the negatitive feedback from you and other members. If door knocking isnt for you then fine but dont bring other people down for looking for business. It just sounds like you are scared of what you dont know.

Reality is you are not bothering people and if they are not interested you say thanks and walk away. You might not believe it but a few actually thanked me for coming by when door knocking.. Doesnt sound like i bothered them, does it?

quote=navarac][quote=Hunter 30-06]

You don't give us your usual speel of trying to save agents
from going down the wrong path. You thing your a smart monkey

[/quote]

My goal is to save the profession from further negative perception. And having out-of-work agents running around house to house begging for business helps contribute to the vacuum cleaner salesman image that we presently enjoy.

So if he is going to do it, I merely thought that having a few vacuum cleaners in tow would help the continuity of his image. Everyone likes consistency.

[/quote]

#371507 - 04/02/11 11:21 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Lucky Leonardo]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: lucky
Nanvarac; why don't you stand up in front of the class and tell everyone how much money you have mad so far this year by waiting for people to call YOU?

Especially since you are such an important person that what we do is so beneath you.

Personally, I would shovel manure to make $1,000,000 a year especially if it was in my backyard. I have no problem with status or Illusions of grandeur or self importance.

I, too, would shovel manure. Before making $1,000,000 or any other amount by joining Amway Real Estate. So we are in half agreement. If your listing program and Internet presentation are strong enough, you do not have to resort to the vacuum cleaners and seed packets. Or acquiring "leads". The "leads" come to you, and beg you to list their home because you are that good and that unique. Of course there is the challenge of actually becoming that good and that unique.

But the low level agents without talent, experience, or any real marketing program need to start somewhere, so they do the door knocking thing for a short while out of sheer desperation. And they make a hobby out of acquiring "leads". They come home to mommy who serves the milk and cookies and proudly proclaim "I got 6 "leads" today. Yay!" But after being in the biz a little longer they soon realize that "leads" are amorphous, are a dime a dozen, and simply take up time and energy and rarely produce a closing. And the time wasted collecting the leads and pinning them to the corkboard like so many butterflies, is time not spent on developing what really matters: a unique and irresistible marketing program and the means to present it to potential clients.

However, to each his own. If everyone did what I do, I'd have lots of competition and I'd be even more crankier than I already am. So by all means, knock knock!

#371508 - 04/02/11 11:30 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
bfisher88 Offline

Loc: Park City, UT
Completely agree with Nav. No top producers in my area are out knocking on doors. It isn't sustainable in the long run imo.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
rhea_re, Preferred Group, Will Jones, nis, karynmurphy
30249 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Advertisement

Top Posters (30 Days)
dotcom_agents 16
T.T. 14
Trouble 14
gitmonee 10
estatereal 10
Vermont 9
Mr. Clean 8
Tim Bizz 7