Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28527009
No new orders today 13144569
Stupid MLS comments. 3359323
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1235320
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1107801
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1062507
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 850744
Let's talk about our cars 702505
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 627725
Most common items found at an REO 625618
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 618206
REOTRANS 466546
EML 459235
Main Street 448934
asset val seminar in colorado 425425
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 356103
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 331583
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#371343 - 04/01/11 08:36 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

Loc: Toronto
I would also like to point out, I never said I DIDN'T have buyers looking in that general area, you all just assumed I didn't.

Advertisements
#371344 - 04/01/11 08:41 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Quote:
It's a foot in the door in the conversation. Truthfully, when I said it not one person said ok bring me a offer and I will list, etc. That very well could happen but it didn't, that same tactic is used with FSBO's daily.. why ? because it works.

And if anything were to every be an issue, all you need to say is that I did/do have a buyer, and they didn't like your house, or they bought another one down the street.

Um, it might have been these comments above. Instead of saying "Oh, but I do have buyers interested in that very neighborhood" you defended the deception with "It works on FSBOs" (could be why a lot of FSBOs don't want to work with LIARS) or "My [fictional] buyer didn't like your house and bought another one..."

It's all in how you say it. "I know there are other buyers looking in this area, would you like to put your home on the market and allow me to help them find our house?" or something HONEST. Very different than implying that you have one in your pocket when you don't.

#371345 - 04/01/11 08:43 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
1)Persistance is omnipotent.

2) Learn to listen, this is tough bacause you
will be nervous and as a result weird things
will come out of your mouth. Ask probing
question and really, really Listen.

Edited by Perky_REALTOR (04/01/11 08:50 AM)

#371346 - 04/01/11 08:48 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
MHT Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
When it was pointed out by another poster in the thread that stating that you have a buyer when you really don't would be deceitful, you disagreed and said that it was simply a foot in the door and that if you ever got called on it you would just say that the buyer didn't like their house or that they bought a different one. Those statements showed that you have no problem saying that you have a buyer when you really don't.

All you have to say instead would be that the market is hot in the area and that you are looking for sellers who would like to take advantage of the current market (the market certainly is hot in Toronto correct?).

#371347 - 04/01/11 08:49 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Hunter, knock it off with the childish personal attacks.

Jon, regardless of whether you want approval or not, when you post something here you are going to get opinions, some of which you may not like. That is the nature of the forum.

#371352 - 04/01/11 09:23 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Jon112 Offline

Loc: Toronto
OK true, I will give you that. Fact is , I do have a buyer looking in that general area. That being said, if I didn't I still have no problem saying it.

Perhaps I can change my script down the road, I am not saying that I won't, but for the time being this is what I am comfortable saying and it allows me to go out and actively prospect which is something I and most Realtors don't do enough of.

Anyways, I'm off to go door knock again!

#371353 - 04/01/11 09:29 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario
Originally Posted By: Jon112

I am not asking for approval of how I choose to find business. I have done 2 days of door knocking, so I am green at it, so yes the script I use probably could be tweaked but for now its what I am going to use. If anyone on here has a better script that they think I should use, then go out and door knock ever day this week and try it and report the results, otherwise leave it alone.

I think it was the same people who blasted Lucky in his thread over and over again, so it doesn't surprise me.

I agree 100%...I also started doing some door knocking this week, in the afternoons, if I have time, in my area, since the weather is getting a little better. This is in addition to my cold calling 1hr in the mornings and 1hr at night. The main reason I started this was my frustration with seeing other agents listing properties, in my area, that are on the DNC list and I didn't even have a chance at presenting.

I recently printed up just sold postcards that I drop in the mail boxes of the people that aren't home(i.e 2/3 to 3/4 of them)....might as well since I'm standing at the front door any way.

My basic script is, "Hi, I'm a real estate agent selling homes in the area and I'm working with a few buyers, are you planning to move?"..no lies. Also, at this point, they have no idea what my name is nor what company I'm with AND they don't care!...I only hand them my postcard if they ask for it(some actually do!)

I did this on and off last year (only a business card in the mailbox for the nothomes) and it does work over time with patience.

It is easier to be consistent daily with the telephone, though, since you don't have the weather to deal with. For now, I'm focusing on being consistent with the cold calling. Hitting the doors (and mailboxes) is only done if I'm not busy and the weather is ok. I'll see how this works out this year(not just this week/month/quarter) ... can't know if/how something works if you do it for a short period of time...good luck trying to figure this out while you're sitting in front of your computer...only your market can tell you what works and what doesn't work.

#371355 - 04/01/11 09:35 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario
Originally Posted By: Jon112
Truthfully, when I said it not one person said ok bring me a offer and I will list, etc. That very well could happen but it didn't,

Some will say this...from my experience, these are greedy unrealistic non-leads anyway.

#371356 - 04/01/11 09:42 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: London, Ontario
Personally I really don't think that there is much difference from saying:

"I have buyers interested in this neighbourhood"

and

"There are buyers interested in this neighbourhood"

The 2nd one should always be truthful because it's been thought out and a "lawyer approved" sentence. While the first phrase may not always be truthful.

But they are both designed for the same purpose which is to give the home owner the impression they should list with you because you can connect them to buyers. So unless the conversion is being recorded and ends up it court they are really interchangeable.

So lets focus the conversation back on what are good methods to use to convert these opening leads into listing appointments.

Once again Congrats Jon on your efforts.

#371358 - 04/01/11 10:01 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Merkaba Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: South Carolina
Just say "my team has quite a few buyers interested in this area" ... at least with our office we are all on a team and truly feel this way.

Edited by Merkaba (04/01/11 11:04 AM)

Keller Williams Realty
South Carolina

#371359 - 04/01/11 10:08 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Kjmendy]
MartyGreen Offline

Loc: canada
I took my Agents out 2 years ago. We had a "door knocking pizza party" Some crazy idea I got from a coach from the early 80s, but I said it sounds so crazy it just might work.

Anyway I had 12 agents show up, I grouped them in 2's so they each had a buddy and were more confident knocking on doors.

We divided up the streets so people didn't over lap and went out for 1.5 - 2hours. I went with one of the groups.

In one hour we got 6 leads. When we returned to the office I ordered pizza and we sat around to discuss the results. In total we had about 18 leads. One gentleman was invited into the house to look around. Offered a beer and almost listed the house on the spot.

The point is that door knocking can work.

Also, I had met a couple of sales agents years ago who listed 46 houses in their first year in real estate! Their technique was this...

They had a clip board and went door to door telling people that they worked for XYZ company and they were taking appointments to do free CMA's on peoples homes who were thinking of selling. They mentioned to me that they got an appointment every 48-50 knocks. They did it rain or shine and they never ever entered the home when invited in. They just stuck to their plan and said we are only taking appointments right now but would love to see you on such and such date. They wore name tags with their company listed on it.

So that could be another good technique if you are unsure what to say to people.

hope this helps.

Marty

www.realestatecareermentor.com

Marty's Real Estate Internet Radio Show on iTunes

Real Estate Training for the
Aspiring Agent and the Top Producer

#371377 - 04/01/11 12:47 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
REODayton Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Dayton Ohio
"I recently printed up just sold postcards that I drop in the mail boxes of the people that aren't home(i.e 2/3 to 3/4 of them)....might as well since I'm standing at the front door any way."

@ Jon- Claiming that you did not know that this was against the law is not a defense? You would be suprised at how many people actually report this to the USPS.

Edited by REODayton (04/01/11 12:48 PM)

#371378 - 04/01/11 12:50 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
wfptt Offline

Loc: Florida
Jon, thank you for posting this. I've had good results lately from door knocking. Do you leave anything behind after you talk with someone? Do you leave anything behind when you don't get someone? I've noticed I get results from the first but not the second.

#371380 - 04/01/11 01:20 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: REODayton]
NJCanuck Offline

Loc: GTA, Ontario
@ Jon- Claiming that you did not know that this was against the law is not a defense? You would be suprised at how many people actually report this to the USPS.
----------------------------

REODaytohn, I think the guy who did this is in Ontario. Here there has been a move towards communal mailboxes, but a lot of houses still have old style boxes attached to them (my house is one of them). Those mailboxes are no longer used by the mailmen, and you cannot put anything into the communal boxes if you don't have the keys to open up the whole lot.

So this might very well have been a legit tactic. No USPS here ;)

Edited by NJCanuck (04/01/11 01:21 PM)

#371382 - 04/01/11 01:41 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Old Dominion
Now I am thinking of the Seinfeld episode where Jerry does Newman's route and Newman gets caught since Jerry broke the 80% barrier of successful delivery, which had never been done before.

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
kmajors, alen111, deanne, Cupcakes, whoiamnow
30193 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Dimitri), 58 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Vermont 19
Trouble 17
estatereal 11
Z06Fanatic 10
Mr. Clean 8
newagent2028 8
T.T. 8
HChomat 7
Big Kahuna 5