Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28528402
No new orders today 13144690
Stupid MLS comments. 3359516
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1235413
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1107881
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1062611
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 850855
Let's talk about our cars 702670
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 627851
Most common items found at an REO 625796
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 618299
REOTRANS 466650
EML 459235
Main Street 449027
asset val seminar in colorado 425527
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 356170
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 331652
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#371239 - 03/31/11 08:45 AM I started to try door knocking this week.
Jon112 Offline

Loc: Toronto
This week I thought I would try something new and go door knocking.

It turns out, its really not that bad at all. I went around 12:00 and about 1 out of 5 someone was home, which I thought was pretty good for the middle of the day on a work week.

My script was basic, "Hi Im Jon from XXX I have a buyer looking to buy a home in this general area, are you looking to sell this summer?"

yes/no

"Great, would you happen to know anyone in this area who is thinking of selling"

now this is where I got my leads, a lot of people took a second to actually think about it, and a few pointed out houses on the street!

One couple was cleaning up the yard, and said it was their son's home, and he was thinking of selling soon.

Another couple came outside to talk to me and even showed me the back yard.

For 2 days worth of door knocking, 2 hrs a day, maybe 60-80 homes a day (rough) I got about 8 leads. Not bad I don't think.

I am not sure how to follow up with these leads now, I didn't talk to them all so they won't know who I am. I am thinking of going back on the weekend with a market report and some comps of the area and say something like "Hi, your neighbour said you were looking to sell, hope you don't mind I printed some info off for you, etc."

feedback welcome.

Advertisements
#371243 - 03/31/11 09:09 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Kjmendy Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: London, Ontario
Jon,

Congrats on your efforts and success at getting leads. You need to follow up for sure. I would probably knock on the doors of the people you didn't talk to this time, but mail out information to the people that you did.

But most of all try not to be confused with a politician!

#371261 - 03/31/11 12:33 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Ryan O'Neill Offline

Loc: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Wow! Very impressive work no doubt!

The proverbial "presssing of the flesh" can lead to alot of coffee meetings, listing presentations, buyer meetings, etc.

With our real estate team here in Minnesota, we are always looking for new and creative ways to prospect.

Thanks again.

#371274 - 03/31/11 02:21 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
PA Roadkill Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: The Middle of the Interstate
I know you're up in the Great White North, so maybe the rules are different, but to approach people with "I have a buyer' when you don't have a buyer would probably be considered as deceitful here in the states and if someone farms that area frequently and hears about it, they might turn you in. It falls under the "presents a true picture" rules

Some days I feel like the bug, other days I feel like the windshield

#371281 - 03/31/11 02:59 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: PA Roadkill]
Jon112 Offline

I personally disagree. Its a foot in the door in the conversation. Truthfully, when I said it not one person said ok bring me a offer and I will list, etc. That very well could happen but it didn't, that same tactic is used with FSBO's daily.. why ? because it works.

And if anything were to every be an issue, all you need to say is that I did/do have a buyer, and they didn't like your house, or they bought another one down the street.

But, thats my opinion.

#371289 - 03/31/11 04:13 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Great way to build credibility as an honest professional.

#371293 - 03/31/11 05:21 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Borino Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Good job getting out there, Jon! 8 leads in two days is very good!

Perky is right, claiming you have a buyer if you don't may be deceiving. You don't have to be. You can say something similar without fibbing and still get people interested:

"Hi, I'm Borino with RE/MAX real estate. We just sold the house around the corner on Maple Ave. There are other buyers interested in the neighborhood. Have you thought about selling this summer?"

"Great, would you happen to know anyone in this area who is thinking of selling?"

Your idea going back with a market report is good. Then, set up an appointment or get their contact info and keep in touch.

FREE Expired Listing Letters
Complete Expired PLUS System on how to list expired listings

#371298 - 03/31/11 06:26 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
VABroker Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: Jon112
This week I thought I would try something new and go door knocking.

It turns out, its really not that bad at all. I went around 12:00 and about 1 out of 5 someone was home, which I thought was pretty good for the middle of the day on a work week.

My script was basic, "Hi Im Jon from XXX I have a buyer looking to buy a home in this general area, are you looking to sell this summer?"

yes/no

"Great, would you happen to know anyone in this area who is thinking of selling"

now this is where I got my leads, a lot of people took a second to actually think about it, and a few pointed out houses on the street!

One couple was cleaning up the yard, and said it was their son's home, and he was thinking of selling soon.

Another couple came outside to talk to me and even showed me the back yard.

For 2 days worth of door knocking, 2 hrs a day, maybe 60-80 homes a day (rough) I got about 8 leads. Not bad I don't think.

I am not sure how to follow up with these leads now, I didn't talk to them all so they won't know who I am. I am thinking of going back on the weekend with a market report and some comps of the area and say something like "Hi, your neighbour said you were looking to sell, hope you don't mind I printed some info off for you, etc."

feedback welcome.

I would go back on the weekend (dressy casual), take some comps with me (no heavy-thinking work at this point though) and I'd state "the neighbor said he thought you were thinking of moving. Is there a possibility of that you are?" If he's not - do your best to get an email address if he has one and put him on a programmed setting for emailing comps every month. I'm not saying I have alot of luck with seller b/c - let's face it - people are a mixed lot indeed. I have homeowners who have been on an email list for several years, and, I will say I am obsolutely SHOCKED that one of them FINALLY emailed me after all this time and I'm listing their home in about 10 days. Of course, it's been 2 months of back and forth talking/emailing etc. as they originally emailed me in January and said they wanted to sell in April. Yippee!!! Only problem with the property is they have a driveway from H--- it's VERY steep.

#371314 - 03/31/11 09:33 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
MHT Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Lying is lying whether you are south of the border or north. To defend it by saying that if you ever get called on it you will simply lie some more says a lot. There are many other scripts to get your foot in the door without lying to people.

#371321 - 03/31/11 11:32 PM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Andy Perkins Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I tend to specialize in architecturally unique neighborhoods (especially mid-century modern), so I actually WOULD have possible buyers lined up who would be interested in the neighborhoods where I would elect to door knock. I would never claim otherwise if I didn't--I agree entirely that it's one of the (many) reasons Realtors tend to have a shady reputation.

But, like Borino said, that doesn't mean there aren't other ways to convey your interest in their neighborhood, and/or that you specialize in finding buyers looking for homes like theirs. Just be honest about it; clearly there's a reason you're knocking on doors in that particular neighborhood.

#371325 - 04/01/11 12:58 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Artiste Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Arizona Bay

My script was basic, "Hi Im Jon from XXX I have a buyer...

snip

feedback welcome.

Don't lie.
Learn how to spell neighbor.
"Hope you don't mind" is not a good opening line.

How many times has a Realtor knocked on your door in the past year? Maybe never, most likely. It's a treat for them to get a custom CMA with all the "dirt" on the sales and listings of the homes in the neighborhood. People dig that. They are curious and they love to gossip and they want to know what their home is currently worth. So you're doing them a favor - treat it as such. And stop lying.

NAFTA is over!!
(if you want it)

#371328 - 04/01/11 01:29 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Artiste]
MHT Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
LOL He did spell neighbour correctly.

#371335 - 04/01/11 06:20 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New Jersey
I personally disagree. Its a foot in the door in the conversation. Truthfully, when I said it not one person said ok bring me a offer and I will list, etc. That very well could happen but it didn't, that same tactic is used with FSBO's daily.. why ? because it works.

And if anything were to every be an issue, all you need to say is that I did/do have a buyer, and they didn't like your house, or they bought another one down the street.

But, thats my opinion.

My opinion is we have too many hustlers in this business already. Don't be another one. If it is not true, don't say it. And by the way, if you lie in real estate, you are probably someone who lies in general. Little white lies, yes, but lies nevertheless.

Bad way to live. Bad way to work.

#371338 - 04/01/11 07:55 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Jon112]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
Jon,

Don't over think it until you have done at least 1000 doors.

Edited by Perky_REALTOR (04/01/11 08:47 AM)
Edit Reason: personal attacks

#371340 - 04/01/11 08:17 AM Re: I started to try door knocking this week. [Re: Hunter 308]
Jon112 Offline

Lol@ hunter

I am not asking for approval of how I choose to find business. I have done 2 days of door knocking, so I am green at it, so yes the script I use probably could be tweaked but for now its what I am going to use. If anyone on here has a better script that they think I should use, then go out and door knock ever day this week and try it and report the results, otherwise leave it alone.

I think it was the same people who blasted Lucky in his thread over and over again, so it doesn't surprise me.

Hunter, you door knock do you not? any tips?

@Artiste - I did spell neighbour correctly, and I never said I use "I hope you don't mind" as an opening line.

Originally Posted By: Hunter12

Jon,

Don't over think it until you have done at least 1000 doors.

Edited by Perky_REALTOR (04/01/11 08:47 AM)
Edit Reason: editing quoted portion

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
CShaw, kmajors, alen111, deanne, Cupcakes
30194 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (Z06Fanatic, HChomat, 1 invisible), 46 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Trouble 17
Vermont 17
Mr. Clean 10
estatereal 10
Z06Fanatic 10
T.T. 9
newagent2028 7
HChomat 7
Big Kahuna 5