Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Free Foreclosure Webinar

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28600612
No new orders today 13153179
Stupid MLS comments. 3368143
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1241636
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1110998
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1065402
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 854536
Let's talk about our cars 705927
Most common items found at an REO 631017
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 630075
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 621186
REOTRANS 468972
EML 459235
Main Street 452519
asset val seminar in colorado 427200
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 357951
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 333326
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#359966 - 12/08/10 07:01 PM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: Sassy411]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Old Dominion
I knew an agent whose major advertising promotional compaign each year was to hand out a business card to nearly each person wh met during the day. I think she bought around 10,000 cards with the goal putting each one in the hand of a prospect (about 30 a day).

Someone wrote many would argue door knock is a necessity for success. If I asked 100 agents in my market if that were the case, I would be suprised if 3 agreed with the statement. Maybe it is a peculiarity central to my market, though.

Advertisements
#359969 - 12/08/10 07:33 PM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: Doin' bpose]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario
Hunter, judging from the opinions in this thread, looks like we won't have any competition door knocking/cold calling ... even if you tell people it works beautifully, they still refuse to do it! ... how great is that?

#359996 - 12/08/10 10:58 PM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: droll]
Regenscheid Offline

Loc: North Oaks, MN
Therre are agents that base their business Completely on expireds, or referrals, or fsbos, etc. Find what works for you and expands on your strengths and you will excel.

www.contractfordeedmn.blogspot.com

#360003 - 12/08/10 11:40 PM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: Rah]
navarac Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: RAH
Hunter, judging from the opinions in this thread, looks like we won't have any competition door knocking/cold calling ... even if you tell people it works beautifully, they still refuse to do it! ... how great is that?

It is great, for the image of the profession. The less of us begging random strangers for business, the better. You are more than welcome to partake in the fabulous riches and glamorous lifestyle that are the inevitable result of melding Mary Kay and Tupperware with real estate agency.

#360007 - 12/09/10 05:19 AM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: Andy Perkins]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
If you want a different perspective, try picking up a copy of Jennifer Allan's "Sell with Soul" book. Surely somewhere in between her perspective and Mike Ferry's you will stumble upon your own favorite balance of profit and enjoyment. [/quote]

To my thinking Andy Perkins makes the most sense, we need to Get Mike Ferry to make a baby with Jennifer Allen and this would produce a well balanced and successful agent. I took the liberty to call Mike on this scientific experiment and he is on board and looking forward to spending some "Quality Time" with Jennifer.(Sabrina is not to know) The beautiful thing with this business is we can create our own custom version of these two that suits our own goals/personalities. Now if I was forced to bet on one horse I know for sure who that would be.

Nannyavak, that is one of your most feeble responses to date, what's wrong with you?, are you sick or just getting lazy.

Edited by Hunter12 (12/09/10 06:06 AM)

#360012 - 12/09/10 06:10 AM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: navarac]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: navarac
Originally Posted By: RAH

It is great, for the image of the profession. The less of us begging random strangers for business, the better. You are more than welcome to partake in the fabulous riches and glamorous lifestyle that are the inevitable result of melding Mary Kay and Tupperware with real estate agency.

Wow..these people that I work with must be really brave to trust bad image me with the biggest investment of their lives.

#360015 - 12/09/10 07:07 AM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: Andy Perkins]
Rah Offline
Veteran Member

Originally Posted By: Andy Perkins
I think it's safe to say this thread has been successfully derailed.

Droll, many would argue that door-knocking is a necessity, but plenty of others won't. It all depends on your definition of "success."

I, for one, measure success as making money doing things I really enjoy. I don't really enjoy door-knocking, so even if it made me more money I certainly wouldn't feel more successful.

If you want a different perspective, try picking up a copy of Jennifer Allan's "Sell with Soul" book. Surely somewhere in between her perspective and Mike Ferry's you will stumble upon your own favorite balance of profit and enjoyment.

Agreed... I don't really enjoy doorknocking/cold calling ... I don't really enjoy asking/meeting my SOI for business and hoping I get referrals eventually ... I don't really enjoy blogging and/or constantly updating my website for SEO reasons to get leads that come from anywhere and get me stuck in traffic most of the time...I don't really enjoy spending tons of money on bench ads, flyers, etc, and hoping for the best after a large upfront investment... I don't really enjoy doing open houses.

I really enjoy spending time with family and going on vacations, so I picked doorknocking/cold calling because I can predict, measure the results, and net a lot.

When I look at my business cash flow statement, this is what I see:

Gross Commission - 4% for my broker - cost of business cards = real joy for me.

Everyone's different, everyone should figure out for themselves what's enjoyable.

#360030 - 12/09/10 08:51 AM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: Rah]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Old Dominion
I have a novel question to raise. How many of you do the Mike Ferry thing? Do you do this for motivation or to learn or both?

#361770 - 12/26/10 12:52 AM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: Doin' bpose]
seattleite Offline

Loc: Seattle, Wa
If you're new to the industry and need to get a few yard signs up in order to get your name out there, then targeted door-knocking is a very effective strategy. Rather than just blindly pester any random neighbor, who may or may not be in the market to buy or sell, turn your efforts to the MLS expireds or for sale by owner listings. Knock their doors confidently with a simple but effective I-pad sample listing presentation and you'll quickly establish a clientele. Then market those listings exceptionally well and buyer leads will inevitably follow. Keep converting the unrepresented buyers while adding in more listings and you can generate a modest amount of business for yourself.

Essentially, this is how many of the old timers got off the ground, regardless of market conditions. With enough listings (10+) and consistent buyer lead follow-up/conversion, you'll eventually have enough business that you won't need to door knock anymore (even though doing so definately wouldn't hurt your bottom line).

Obviously, the most successful agents most likely don't pound the pavement, but I'd be willing to wager that many, if not most of them did do so early on in their careers.

Like other posters in this thread, I'm not particularly fond of door-knocking, but I'll always do it when other makerting efforts either get too expensive or fail to bring in enough leads.

#361774 - 12/26/10 07:29 AM Re: Door knocking 101 [Re: seattleite]
Don Glasgow2 Offline

Loc: Utah
I was going to mention the same thing a seattleite. I would call expireds and FSBO's warm door knocks. These sellers get tons of calls but few face to face hello's.

Don

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
InternGrinder, Diamond Concrete, OnTheDownload, rhea_re, Preferred Group
30254 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 39 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Advertisement

Top Posters (30 Days)
dotcom_agents 16
Tim Bizz 14
Trouble 13
Vermont 11
T.T. 11
gitmonee 10
estatereal 10
Daniel1234 8