Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Free Foreclosure Webinar

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28601472
No new orders today 13153714
Stupid MLS comments. 3368246
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1241701
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1111064
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1065465
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 854554
Let's talk about our cars 705954
Most common items found at an REO 631119
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 630082
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 621236
REOTRANS 469033
EML 459235
Main Street 452572
asset val seminar in colorado 427205
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 357963
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 333339
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#355718 - 10/26/10 03:56 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
DerrickTeam Offline

Loc: Indy Metro West
We hold open houses just about every Sunday. A few hours work each week and the buyers (and sometimes sellers) come knock on our door. Plus it makes my listing clients happy.

I got into RE to do something I enjoy. Annoying people by knocking on doors was not one of them...

One of the new agents in our office is desperate and has started door knocking. He has no listings and we currently have 9 in our first year of RE.

Advertisements
#355721 - 10/26/10 04:30 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: DerrickTeam]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada

The posted question was "Do you door knock as part of your
prospecting??" it wasn't "Do you hold open houses as part
of your prospecting??, you should learn how to read.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/26/10 04:33 PM)

#355725 - 10/26/10 04:53 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Andy Perkins Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Geez. Seems pretty clear to me that they read the question...and that DerrickTeam's answer is "No."

I also don't. At least not for the sole sake of door-knocking. I hate being interrupted by salespeople of any kind, unless of course they're selling Girl Scout cookies. And since I'm neither a girl nor a scout, it's hard to get over the idea that I would just be annoying other people as well.

However, I do think that door-knocking is valuable if you have something to say that people would really, truly want to hear, and it's a great tool when applied in conjunction with other activities. "Hi, I'm a Realtor and I'm sponsoring this weekend's local high school fund raiser, we'd love to see you there, here's a flyer with all the details (and my name and contact info on it, of course)" will have a greater impact than "Hi, I'm a Realtor, here's a flyer that just talks about me and that you're going to immediately throw away."

That's my theory, at least--I've never done a scientifically controlled study.

#355731 - 10/26/10 05:22 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Andy Perkins]
Jayson1977 Offline

Loc: Vancouver
The reason why the new agent in your office is door knocking is because he is new and that's what it takes to make it. Door knocking is not demeaning or beneath you, and if you think it is... you keep holding open houses and wait for the business to come to you while the new agent goes out and finds it.

9 listings doesnt make you a top producer, at least not in my market. I can guarantee you one thing, if the new agent keeps working and prospecting as hard as he does he's gonna have more listings and sales than you and your team do in no time.

We are salespeople, some of you are ashamed to admit but that is a fact!

#355750 - 10/26/10 07:58 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Jayson1977]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Diabetes is a growing problem in the Western World and there is concern that it could bankrupt countries in the future. The best way to avoid this they say is to "Eat Healthy food and Excercise Moderately" door knocking for two hours a day deals well with the latter. This business can be extremely stressful at
times and going for a walk can help keep you on an even keel.

Here is too your health.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/26/10 08:02 PM)

#355827 - 10/27/10 01:51 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
DerrickTeam Offline

The only reason I commented on Open Houses was they knock on my door instead of me knocking on their door.

Anyway, my personal view is door knocking was a standard practice before there were better methods of marketing. The Internet has changed the way we market so I look at door knocking as "Old school". It works for some but not me, as I said I like to enjoy what I do. I often take breaks (working at home) and take long walks for a change of pace.

I don't think 9 listing is great but we've only been active agents for 9 months. The same time as the door knocking agent with no listings.

Best said: Do what works for you.

#355828 - 10/27/10 02:19 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: DerrickTeam]
ForeclosureDB Offline

Loc: Miami, Fl
We tried Door Knocking at the brokerage I worked at previously with mixed results. However, instead of finding future buyers, we were talking to people in foreclosure, needless to say we ended up with a lot of not interested and denial. It depends on what you are trying to Market. We had a better response with actual leave behind packages. It was less invasive to the person and left them with the choice on how to proceed. I preferred the leave behinds as well for the same reason as Andy. I don't want someone coming to my door trying to sell me something. If I'm interested I'll look for them.

#355845 - 10/27/10 04:05 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: DerrickTeam]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

This is retarded, my Uncle is a medical doctor and has seen
82,0000 patients so far in his career. How many years will
it take you to meet 82,000 people while sitting at an open
house? You would have to have started real estate when you
were just out of kindergarten to match his numbers. Come to
think about it your job is to speak to people each day and every day so you should have three to four times the numbers my
uncle has, lets say 400,000 to 600,000 minimum.

Why don't you post your numbers next to Lucky's see how they
compare?, then we can compare actively looking for business
as appossed to sitting on your bum and waiting.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/27/10 05:12 PM)

#355848 - 10/27/10 04:34 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
DerrickTeam Offline

Your uncle door knocked for patients? Hmm don't see that much any more do we? ;)

When holding open houses we get to place signs with agent ryders out where we normally don't get too (sign restrictions bite these days). We run ads in the paper. We pass out flyers via paper tubes (mailbox a no-no). We Facebook, Twitter, Craigslist, etc. Lots of exposure and we don't bother anyone.

But my original point was we do what we enjoy. Talking to people who are really interested in buying and selling and most people who come to open houses are going to eventually. It' not about volume, its about making a living at something we enjoy doing.

#355849 - 10/27/10 04:40 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: DerrickTeam]
Andy Perkins Offline

Hunter, I gotta ask. What's with the attitude? Someone is "retarded" because they prefer to conduct their business in a manner different from you? If they choose not to define success by how they compare to Lucky? I sure hope you don't talk to the people who answer their doors the way you talk to people on this board.

Seriously. What's your beef? Shouldn't you be happy that not everyone door-knocks? If everyone did things exactly as you do, you would have no competitive advantage.

I don't care if I ever meet 82,000 people; they simply become a blur of anonymous faces after awhile. To me, real estate is about relationships, about *people*. It's not a numbers game. If you work from that angle, then yes, after awhile people DO come to you. I could be spending more hours prospecting, but I got into real estate for personal freedom, flexible schedule, and so forth--i.e., reasons not exclusively related to dollar signs.

#355853 - 10/27/10 05:06 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Andy Perkins]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

You make a number of good points and you sound like a happy real estate guy, good.

I was happy to have found Lucky's thread because all the guys and gals that I know who actively prospect are lone wolfs. When I posted on this thread that I door knock I got attacked by a number of people so my new approach is "the best means of defense is offence" and it seems to be working. Granted its
a big waste of energy but in time I'm sure I will mellow out.

By the way in Canada if you mention to fellow agents that you have been door knocking the usual response is "good for you", this is not the case in America from what I have witnessed. Keep in mind most of the best trainers in the world are Americans. What surprises me is that the majority of agents actively prospecting are based in Canada and the ratio of Amercans to Canadians is ten to one. Maybe you guys are more evolved than us and we are still in the stone age.

One of the most respected managers in my trading area once told me "If you are
not talking to people you are not working" as a new agent I took this to heart
and it has served me well for twenty years.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/27/10 05:21 PM)

#355854 - 10/27/10 05:26 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
Andy Perkins Offline

Fair enough. Clearly your approach is working for you. And the one that works best for you is the one you should be using (assuming said activities are in compliance with applicable laws and regulations, actual mileage may vary, offer void where prohibited, see dealer for details, blah blah blah blah).

Interesting point you make about the Canadian vs. American attitudes toward door-knocking; though I do occasionally pop in on Lucky's thread, I suppose I hadn't been paying close enough attention to notice who was posting there. I suppose it might just boil down to the fact that many of us down here in the States tend to be surly and highly protective of their personal states...whereas in Canada, well, people are actually pretty nice. That would make for a much different prospecting experience!

#355856 - 10/27/10 05:38 PM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Andy Perkins]
Madison Offline

Loc: Malibu, Ca.
With the competition in real estate - one of the most successful tools in an agents toolbox is branding. Why should customers choose to work with you over the next guy or gal? It is not enough to simply rely on a book of past listings or closed deals to prove yourself as the 'best of the best' to work with.

In today's competitive market, the agent who brands himself best wins. Ultimately, the potential customer wants to work with the 'best' - and they want to work with someone they believe has the tools and experience to get them the best deal available. As a new agent, this is a difficult task to overcome, but one way of 'branding' yourself is to get out in the community and start building relationships. We all know how important referrals are, but it is equally important to be branded in your community. Every single daily experience can and should be an opportunity. At the local gas station getting gas, in the PTA at the kids school, in community events, volunteer programs - every chance you have to brand yourself in the community as a 'community leader' brands you within that community of someone vested in the community and increases your chances substantially of being called upon or referred to for a real estate transaction.

Knocking on doors is a good way to get yourself out in the community as long as it's done correctly. What I mean by this is if you are out 'soliciting' - you will be doing more harm than good. However, door knocking in the aspect of introducing yourself to the community can work wonders. In stead of knocking on a door and asking if anyone needs an agent - better to connect with the local schools of the neighborhoods and find out when they are having their next fundraisers or sales drives and make yourself a part of that. if kids are selling candy bars door to door for the local school, become a sponsor and provide a leave behind for the candy sold. Just one example, but one of many. The point is that 'door knocking' can be interpreted a number of ways and if you are smart about it - you can turn any opportunity into a business building experience.

Edited by Madison (10/27/10 05:40 PM)

#355888 - 10/28/10 05:00 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Madison]
Hunter 308 Offline
Veteran Member

Madison,

How many doors have you actually knocked on?

Hunter.

Edited by Hunter12 (10/28/10 05:01 AM)

#355907 - 10/28/10 09:45 AM Re: Do you door knock as part of your prospecting?? [Re: Hunter 308]
ForeclosureDB Offline

Loc: Miami, Fl
Allow me to pose a question to you Hunter. Do you use the internet for your marketing? Most people looking to buy/sell a house will look online first. If you can capture a portion of that traffic you won't need to door knock as you will have more leads to filter through then you know what to do with. I'm not saying that door knocking doesn't work. I'm just saying everyone uses their strengths to their advantage and if the leads come to you, wouldn't that give you more time to focus on working on your leads/prequaling potential buyers?

Edited by ForeclosureDB (10/28/10 09:46 AM)
Edit Reason: Bad Grammar

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
dalebeshansky, InternGrinder, Diamond Concrete, OnTheDownload, rhea_re
30255 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 59 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Advertisement

Top Posters (30 Days)
dotcom_agents 16
Tim Bizz 14
Trouble 13
Vermont 12
gitmonee 10
estatereal 10
T.T. 9
Daniel1234 8