Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28527009
No new orders today 13144569
Stupid MLS comments. 3359323
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1235320
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1107801
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1062507
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 850744
Let's talk about our cars 702505
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 627725
Most common items found at an REO 625618
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 618206
REOTRANS 466546
EML 459235
Main Street 448934
asset val seminar in colorado 425425
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 356103
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 331583
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#334396 - 04/12/10 12:45 AM picking up clients from open houses - suggestions?
downtown Offline

Loc: San Francisco
Hi there,

I'm relatively new to this part of the business (came from the RE development world), and have had some early success in closing a couple of deals, but those were through referrals.

The problem I have is in getting new clients - especially through open houses - which I am working every single week.

It seems that I can establish a rapport quickly, engage them in conversation, and often (though not as often as I'd like) get their email address for follow ups. While I'm not the pushy type, I'm wondering if I need to become a bit more assertive.

So the question is: how have you been able to successfully convert open house visitors in to clients?

Advertisements
#334397 - 04/12/10 02:16 AM Re: picking up clients from open houses - suggestions? [Re: downtown]
Paul Caparas Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca
check out this video on open houses.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06osTFnLhwA

#334402 - 04/12/10 05:23 AM Re: picking up clients from open houses - suggestions? [Re: Paul Caparas]
Maui Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Maui, HI
Down, ultimately, a lot of the traffic through open houses is merely people window shopping with no real intent to buy or sell anytime soon. So far, what is your conversion rate of visitors to leads? I think you might be a bit too hard on yourself by not having a clear understanding of what is normal in the industry. Nevertheless, the best of luck to you and your new career.
Visit our Maui RE Blog, then view our listings of Maui Condos For sale and Andaz Maui at Wailea site for information on this luxury property. View one of the hottest micro-markets in the luxury Kaanapali Honua Kai Condos For Sale.

#334403 - 04/12/10 06:06 AM Re: picking up clients from open houses - suggestions? [Re: Maui]
Jennifer Allan Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: The Beach
I did open houses like a madwoman my first year and while I did gather lots of names & numbers, never converted anyone to a bona-fide client. I agree with Maui - most people who come thru an open house either already have an agent or they aren't real buyers... in other words... they aren't really "get-able" so you're probably not doing anything wrong. It's not that you're failing to convert!

#334404 - 04/12/10 07:04 AM Re: picking up clients from open houses - suggestions? [Re: Jennifer Allan]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
I think it's like anything else, hit or miss. One of the agents in our office this week sold one of our listings to an Open House guest - the guest was at HER open house (her listing too) but the house wasn't right for them. She took them to another one of our office listings and cha-ching - they made an offer.

One other couple who works together in my office get listings from open houses, get 25+ guests, get new buyers at open houses.

I get zip. Nada. Zilch. And I think I am like the majority of the agents in that respect - the above two are kind of like those disclaimers for the Weight Watchers commercials - results are not typical. LOL

I do the open houses to keep my sellers happy and to potentially meet new people. I don't usually do more than 2 a month, and that may be my problem. If I did more open houses my chances might increase, but to be honest I can barely squeeze in the 2 a month - I'm usually out with buyers every weekend!

#334405 - 04/12/10 07:58 AM Re: picking up clients from open houses - suggestions? [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
OverTheEdge Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Middle of Ohio
OK - I haven't done open houses for years but the following has worked well - when I wanted to pick up buyers.
1) Always have snacks and bottled water - people linger.
2) Always have a printout of the other properties in the area - that are currently for sale.
3) Ask people directly if they are "nosy neighbors" - in a light tone. If they are real buyers and don't have an agent - give them a copy of the print out - tell them that if they give you their e-mail and phone number you will do a search for them on the MLS - pointing out that it is the most up to date and then follow up with a phone call - usually Monday night - to set an appointment to see some house.
4) Always bring up getting pre-approved - when I was on my game - my loan officer used to hang at my open houses with me - answer financing questions - and sometimes bring the snacks. If you do not yet have a loan officer - get one - and get a stack of their cards. Open houses are like any thing else - there is an order of things - and you can always walk away with something.

Good luck!!

#334406 - 04/12/10 08:30 AM Re: picking up clients from open houses - suggestions? [Re: downtown]
DC Realtor Offline

Loc: Kentucky
After hosting my first few Open Houses for other agents in my office. I agree with everyone else. It seems that most are window shopping or already working with someone else. I still find it good experience though.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
kmajors, alen111, deanne, Cupcakes, whoiamnow
30193 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Dimitri), 58 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Vermont 19
Trouble 17
estatereal 11
Z06Fanatic 10
Mr. Clean 8
newagent2028 8
T.T. 8
HChomat 7
Big Kahuna 5