Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 29290269
No new orders today 13255170
Stupid MLS comments. 3540401
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1343250
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1186401
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1128713
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 912439
Let's talk about our cars 765248
Most common items found at an REO 692043
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 676578
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 668597
REOTRANS 514548
Main Street 501430
EML 459242
asset val seminar in colorado 455826
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 391501
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 369055
Evalonline 300215
Land America 285057
Mainstreet 261863
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#224951 - 05/07/08 01:04 AM to winterize, or not to winterize, or already winterized?????
countrygal Offline

Loc: bpo world
Well, what a good day I've had. Had a closing this morning smile got a bpo check smile received my second reo listing (this one with a house on it! 1st one was a vacant lot) this afternoon smile and got a full price offer on a listing this evening smile WOW I'm doing my happy dance yay Oh yeah!

Anyhow to my question.....my listing....the winterization. I went out to do the occupancy check and it was vacant. The front door had been kicked in, so it's not secured. The house had already been rekeyed.....the old knobs were laying by the door inside and there were winterization stickers on the window and inside the house.

Now do I say it needs winterization, do I not winterize because it's the spring and beautiful weather here....what if I still have the listing in the winter (I hope not but...) or do I figure it has already been winterized because all the stickers are still in place from where it was winterized previously?

Help....thanks

Advertisements
#224953 - 05/07/08 01:17 AM Re: to winterize, or not to winterize, or already winterized????? [Re: countrygal]
northtxbroker Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Texas
Do those stickers have a date on them? We typically winterize no matter what. At a minimum, the water needs to be turned off and the pipes opened. Water can cause a lot of damage to a home and you don't want some random pipe to burst and destroy your house.

$150 is a cheap price for a seller to pay in order to know their home won't try to take a literal bath.

#224954 - 05/07/08 01:27 AM Re: to winterize, or not to winterize, or already winterized????? [Re: northtxbroker]
BpoBill Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: US
Ask your am. Some winterize all year, and some wait until fall.

#224955 - 05/07/08 01:29 AM Re: to winterize, or not to winterize, or already winterized????? [Re: northtxbroker]
countrygal Offline

I guess I'll go back out tomorrow and check the date on them...boy would have been smart to have looked a little closer today but I'm always a little nervous and just want to do what I have to and get out.

I think it has only been a couple of months. A neighbor said it's been vacant for a couple of months. I saw this house on the forclosure lawyers website of posted auctions and then it disappeared for a couple of months and then came back, it was just auctioned last week. Not sure why it was rekeyed and winterized already.

#224964 - 05/07/08 02:14 AM Re: to winterize, or not to winterize, or already winterized????? [Re: countrygal]
countrygal Offline

good suggestion i'll also add "contact am" to my list of things to do tomorrow smile

#230056 - 06/01/08 03:30 PM Re: to winterize, or not to winterize, or already winterized????? [Re: countrygal]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
If the door has been kicked in, I don't think you can have confidence that anything which has been done for Winterization inside is necessarily still intact. Is it secure now ?

I won't do anything now until you see how the Summer progresses; and if you're still involved in the Fall, get it Winterized then (depending on its condition at that time).

I wouldn't make a special trip to get a date. You learn something "new" about a place with each visit.

There's not much need to Winterize a place if the copper pipes have already taken a hike, so the AM can save some money at that time ! They always like to hear that.

#256594 - 10/25/08 08:03 PM Re: to winterize, or not to winterize, or already winterized????? [Re: Vermont]
remax_johnny Offline

Loc: IL

#256625 - 10/26/08 04:00 AM Re: to winterize, or not to winterize, or already winterized????? [Re: remax_johnny]
Concepts05 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: MA
I agree in theory. What a pain it is to keep winterizing/dewinterizing. But it's safer than risking the heat going off for some weird reason and the pipes freezing. Plus last winter I dewinterized, left the heat on for the 3 weeks till closing, and the gas bill was almost $500.

For the agent that carries 100 properties, yikes, thats some out of pocket expense for a month!

#256700 - 10/27/08 02:45 AM Re: to winterize, or not to winterize, or already winterized????? [Re: Concepts05]
JackREO Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Massachusetts
We need to clarify our position and, in some cases take a hard line with the co-brokes. However, don't adopt the problem. Pass the dewinterize/winterize issue on to the seller. Some have specific policies regarding who will perform and pay for the function. The appraisers generally want a lot more than seeing water on, they want the heat functioning and similar. Let's suppose the seller agrees to dewinterize the property and get the heat up and running for the home inspection. Let's further suppose that the furnace turns out to be junk. Is it outside the realm of possibility that our seller is on the hook to replace the system since they agreed to get the heat up and running? Obviously that's a question for an attorney, but I'd be willing to bet which way the buyer's attorney would vote. I discuss this with the originator and co-broke and lay the possible scenarios out for the seller right at the offer stage. In many cases the co-broke and originator say they don't need the water/heat and such on. They've been known to promise us anything to get an offer accepted. In that case I advise them that the following language will be incorporated into the mortgage clause. "In the event mortgage approval requires repairs, upgrades, and/or inspections, the cost of same shall be the buyer's responsibility. In the event the buyer is unwilling or unable to pay for the cost of such inspections, repairs and/or upgrades, the buyer shall be deemed to be in default and aithorizes the immediate release of rhe EMD to the seller". That statement generally prompts a more truthful response from the originator regarding property condition. In addition when I've read this back to an appraiser they seem to understand that they're request for us to jump through their hoops does nothing more than cost the buyer their deopsit. In most cases they back down. I'll repeat myself here...Don't adopt the problem!!!! The buyer wants X, the seller wants Y. My dog ain't in that fight until such time as I start making decisions without my sellers consent and/or knowledge. Evaluate the situation, pass that evaluation on to the client with the pros, cons and your recommendation and step back, but don't adopt the problem.

#256991 - 10/28/08 09:44 PM Re: to winterize, or not to winterize, or already winterized????? [Re: JackREO]
Concepts05 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: MA
Adopting the problem is a problem of mine. I have to work on that - sometimes in trying to make everyone happy I get too involved and (perfectly put) "adopt the problem".

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Will1329, OpClassicGal, TonywithAM, EWcontractor, AnnyGraell
31077 Registered Users
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Trouble 13
CathCoy 11
Long Walk 10
Lucky Leonardo 7
Bigtoe 7
Z06Fanatic 5
Admin 4
Mr. Clean 4
realestategreat 3