Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 29211911
No new orders today 13244114
Stupid MLS comments. 3534147
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1339502
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1180936
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1124030
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 910282
Let's talk about our cars 761558
Most common items found at an REO 687951
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 673604
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 667525
REOTRANS 512447
Main Street 498445
EML 459242
asset val seminar in colorado 454454
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 390004
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 367921
Evalonline 300215
Land America 285056
Mainstreet 261863
Matched Content
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#227089 - 05/17/08 03:56 AM New Restrictions on New Members
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

Loc: Global
You may be happy to hear that the recent forum software update allowed me to make a few changes to the forum permissions just now.

Assuming that I have set it up correctly, anyone signing up from this point on will require 30 posts before use the signature file and post in the shout box. The time required between searches will also be a little bit longer than that enjoyed by experienced members.

New users will have additional restrictions in the BPO, REO forum. New Users will require 30 posts before they can start a topic, and use UBB code to place links in their posts. They will also have use a security Captcha code when posting.

After new users have 30 posts under their belt they will enjoy full privileges.

If any Moderators or Veteran Members thing some of the other forums could also benefit from tighter restrictions for New Users - feel free to discuss it here.

Edited by Admin (09/02/13 09:16 PM)
Edit Reason: Removed time limitation between posts and added Captcha requirement.

#228355 - 05/23/08 10:26 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
This should help cut down on the spammers.

#228365 - 05/23/08 11:50 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
neudot Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Central New York
When does this start? I thought it had already started, yet I've seen numerous posts from new members asking for company names, contact names and numbers, etc.

#228386 - 05/23/08 01:52 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: neudot]
jbt4re Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: SWI
I believe newbies can post to an open thread, they just can't start a new one and they can't put links to websites either (that's for the spammers), until they have contributed 30 posts.

#228387 - 05/23/08 01:57 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: jbt4re]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

That is correct - in the BPO forum new members can't start a new thread but they can still post in existing threads.

Also, these new restrictions are not retroactive so those who were "new" before the restrictions were put in place are not restricted.

Like us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/realestateforums

#232728 - 06/16/08 03:32 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

I have made an additional change to help discourage those intent on breaking the forum rules by posting single sentence type posts just to get their post count up. Now in all forums new members - those with under 30 posts - will have to wait 15 minutes between creating new threads.

Also, in most forums new members will not be able to post links.

#232731 - 06/16/08 03:51 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Gulf Winds Offline
REO Slave
Major Contributor

Loc: USA
Thanks Doug! That will cut down on the moderators job of policing those who are post padding & spamming. I've had several cases of this in the past week & it takes time to address each post to correct/delete.
"There are people who make things happen, there are people who watch things happen, and there are people who wonder what happened. To be successful, you need to be a person who makes things happen.." - James Lovell- Astronaut

#232750 - 06/16/08 07:22 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Gulf Winds]
Artiste Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Arizona Bay
That'll show 'em who's boss, Doug

NAFTA is over!!
(if you want it)

#232811 - 06/17/08 01:23 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Artiste]
Broski Offline

Loc: West Coast USA
I understand the reason for BPO/REO forum posting restrictions for new members, but for someone like me who has followed this forum for years, and the REO/BPO forum off and on for over a year, this is kind of frustrating.

I see members post about how proud they are, basically sharing their excitement with others, about their first REO, or a hard BPO they did good on and got the listing.

I finally signed up so I could introduce myself, and give some history on my BPO / REO past.

Is there any way to make an exception and put someone who asks on "probation" so they can post?

Or maybe give them a chance to post one topic as to allow them to introduce them self???

Just feels weird jumping in on other threads without introducing myself.

Just a thought.

I'm not out to abuse rules, and I've seen many people do it in many different ways while "trolling".

I finally signed up because I fee I am ready to contribute.

Just one introduction post?

#232813 - 06/17/08 01:40 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Broski]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

Sorry, the software does not allow for that. You can always post info about yourself in the "Introduce Yourself" forum - that is what it is there for. You could also put information about yourself in your Profile - that is what it is there for as well.

#236171 - 07/04/08 12:09 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
REOGranny Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I find this thread very interesting as a "newbie" to the forum and not to REO. I tend to be pretty wordy and have always been willing to share information with those you are truely interested. In these hard times for "retail" agents, I believe it is a good policy to have checks and balances in place. Being a REO Agent is not something that should be taken as becoming a part of the most recent "fad". Those of us serious about the business are serious about our systems, our operating budgets and protocol as well as protecting the integrity of our profession and service to our clients. It takes a lot of "trust" for the clients to place their assets in our hands. So far, I'm finding this forum interesting and hope to become a good contributor and mentor as well as pick up some "GREAT" tips to help me improve my performance to my clients.

#236265 - 07/04/08 08:03 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Broski]
Concepts05 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: MA
Originally Posted By: Broski
I understand the reason for BPO/REO forum posting restrictions for new members, but for someone like me who has followed this forum for years, and the REO/BPO forum off and on for over a year, this is kind of frustrating.

I see members post about how proud they are, basically sharing their excitement with others, about their first REO, or a hard BPO they did good on and got the listing.

I finally signed up so I could introduce myself, and give some history on my BPO / REO past.

Is there any way to make an exception and put someone who asks on "probation" so they can post?

Or maybe give them a chance to post one topic as to allow them to introduce them self???

Just feels weird jumping in on other threads without introducing myself.

Just a thought.

I'm not out to abuse rules, and I've seen many people do it in many different ways while "trolling".

I finally signed up because I fee I am ready to contribute.

Just one introduction post?

Don't feel weird just "jumping in" ... all of were newbies once and thats what most of us did. Even better if you have something to contribute! hope to you see in in BPO/REO....

#236676 - 07/07/08 11:46 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
agent009 Offline

Loc: Chicago, IL
thanks concepts05, i just read your reply to Broski, I'm a "new" to this forum but not to RE, I'm anxious to learn more in detail about REOs/BPOs, I felt awkward too just "jumping in" on active threads but your reply made me feel better. Looking forward to learning from the "master veterans" in REOs/BPOs. Thanks, much appreciated.

#236685 - 07/08/08 12:54 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: agent009]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Vermont's North-East Kingdom
Originally Posted By: agent009
I felt awkward too just "jumping in" on active threads but your reply made me feel better. Looking forward to learning from the "master veterans" in REOs/BPOs. Thanks, much appreciated.

Is there really such a thing as a "master veteran" in Real Estate ? We practice Real Estate in order to get good at it; but this whole business comprises every aspect of the human experience; the good and the bad, and the ugly. Right about the time we approach being really good; it's time to retire.

Anyway, Welcome Aboard Agent009; and despite my Tag Name here, I'm from Milwaukee, a Northern Suburb of Chicago.

#237461 - 07/12/08 02:32 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Vermont]
REOGranny Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
I too am from MKE

#243549 - 08/09/08 11:34 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: REOGranny]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: SW Okla
I'm new - have maybe a dozen posts. What am i doing wrong that i can't quote (and get a box - I get [quote]...[/quote]) and I can't bold, or things like that . . . ?

And where do I find out what I'm doing wrong? I thought it might have something to do with the new restrictions on new members. - ? -

LIMITATIONS: Until You Spread Your Wings, You'll Have No Idea How Far You Can Walk. - despair.com

#243554 - 08/09/08 11:59 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: barb43]
doug Offline

Admin
Veteran Member

Loc: Canada
You need to use the Full Reply form and not the Quick Reply form to see the buttons for quoting, BOLD, etc.

That is normal - not a restriction on new members.

#244036 - 08/13/08 01:45 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: doug]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Thanks, Doug! I have tried both ways tho', using the full reply screen and selecting things across the top and typing in my own [quote] or [b] with the [/b] at the end, but to no avail. Must be something not set right on my computer.

LIMITATIONS: Until You Spread Your Wings, You'll Have No Idea How Far You Can Walk. - despair.com

#244046 - 08/13/08 02:06 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: barb43]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

I just double checked and html tags are turned off (except for moderators) for security reasons. UBB tags are used for bolding text etc. but for most forums new users are indeed restricted from using UBB as well. You almost have enough posts that soon that restriction will be lifted for you smile

#244479 - 08/15/08 12:57 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
barb43 Offline
Veteran Member

Thanks for explaining that. ;) Not trying to be a problem - I'm enjoying it here!

#244501 - 08/15/08 02:04 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: REOGranny]
SellMyDigs Offline

Loc: California, United States
I did notice one restriction, I am a new member and my quote UBBCode didn't work correctly. Is it possible this is related to the forum upgrade?

#244503 - 08/15/08 02:10 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: SellMyDigs]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

Yes, UBB code doesn't work for new members until after 30 posts.

#244520 - 08/15/08 04:25 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
SellMyDigs Offline

Loc: California, United States
Yeah I just read that post above, I should have read to the second page before asking.

#245813 - 08/22/08 08:02 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
realestatewondr3 Offline

Loc: CA
[quote=Admin]Yes, UBB code doesn't work for new members until after 30 posts. [/quote]

Ah, understood, thanks for the headsup

#247881 - 09/04/08 03:56 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
youbetcha1018 Offline

I'm a newbie, just started to create an account here awhile ago. I understood the rules. Thanks for the reminder.

#249862 - 09/15/08 07:55 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
October2006 Offline

Loc: US
This will take some time if you don't like to post.

#250774 - 09/20/08 12:18 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
L.A. Realtor Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
I guess all this goes for signatures too? Newbies can't have signatures?

#250778 - 09/20/08 12:38 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: L.A. Realtor]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

Yes, as per the first post in this thread smile

#252891 - 10/02/08 12:08 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
buywithdi Offline

Loc: MA USA
As a new member and also new to newsgroups. Where do you suggest
I begin? I seem to be going round in circles.

#252908 - 10/02/08 01:21 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: buywithdi]
Gulf Winds Offline
REO Slave
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: buywithdi
As a new member and also new to newsgroups. Where do you suggest
I begin? I seem to be going round in circles.

Read everything you can and use the search feature to locate topics that you have an interest in.

This system is in place to curb SPAM and as a result new members have to be patient and follow the rules.

We welcome you and other new members! We hope you learn from fellow members and can contribute to the forum as well! If you are interested in only the BPO/REO forum, then you need to spend some time reading every post that you can as your question(s) have most likely have been asked and answered.
"There are people who make things happen, there are people who watch things happen, and there are people who wonder what happened. To be successful, you need to be a person who makes things happen.." - James Lovell- Astronaut

#253830 - 10/07/08 09:42 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Gulf Winds]
Joel McDonald Offline

Loc: Colorado
Do I understand this correctly that as a new member, I have to wait 10 minutes between posting in existing threads?

#253834 - 10/07/08 09:54 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Joel McDonald]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

The restriction is on starting new topics - not replies in existing threads. It looks like we increased that to 15 minutes at some point - so 15 - not 10 minutes.

Unfortunately, spammers like to sign up in the middle of the night and can make dozens of spam posts in a very short period of time. They like to go down the list of forums and post in each one - and it takes me a lot longer to delete those posts than it takes the spammer to make them.

That is the reason for the restriction.

#254210 - 10/09/08 05:26 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
NeverDull Offline

Loc: Orange County, Cailf.

#254211 - 10/09/08 05:36 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: NeverDull]
doug Offline

Admin
Veteran Member

If your primary determination of value is whether or not you can use a signature file in the first 30 posts and need to ask what the benefits are of being here if you can't - then you are here for the wrong reasons.

#254222 - 10/09/08 06:29 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: doug]
NeverDull Offline

Loc: Orange County, Cailf.
One isn't tied to the other. Hence separate paragraphs.

It seems strange that someone must jump through certain hoops to obtain certain items. That said.

Now as for the benefits of being a member, regardless of the signature, are? That was my question. If we are spending time here and we are full time brokers or agents, would we not expect some benefit? Such as increased knowledge, advice, something? If this is an opportunity to give something back to an industry that has sustained my family for over 40 years, then so be it! I would enjoy that also.

Or am I just being ignorant?

#254516 - 10/11/08 04:24 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: REOGranny]
renet Offline

Loc: California
Great idea to tighten down the hatches on spammers.

#261102 - 11/23/08 01:40 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: REOGranny]
Kevin Curtis Offline

Loc: Minnesota, USA
I am at 20 posts(21 after this) and the 900 second(15 minutes) rule is still in force. Have you considered a sliding scale rule on this?

Edited by Kevin Curtis (11/23/08 01:41 AM)

#261114 - 11/23/08 02:31 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Kevin Curtis]
doug Offline

Admin
Veteran Member

The mechanics of this does not easily lend itself to a sliding scale so we decided that 30 posts was a good point . If there was a sliding scale it would not start sliding until after the 30 posts anyway smile

#261166 - 11/23/08 06:06 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: doug]
Kevin Curtis Offline

Loc: Minnesota, USA
No problem. I am sure as I continue to utilize this great forum I will appreciate any measures taken to eliminate spammers.

#263145 - 12/05/08 01:44 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: REOGranny]
daniel1 Offline

Loc: NewYork, USA
Hi Everyone
I am new to this forum. I am a veteran Real Estate broker on New York.I have read the concerns of new BPO agents. Let me say that I have done over 500 BPO's and did not get a single REO from it. I would say that while there are many BPO,s with RRR and they pay quick, they pay less than any other BPO company out there.
The reps of this company are operating from an asian country, thousands of miles away and do not understand or know anything about our market here. It is very frustrating to to communicate and work with them manty a times.
If you are looking for a BPO company from which you will get REO's, this is definitely not the one .

#264598 - 12/14/08 05:47 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: daniel1]
Wissa Offline

Arg! Halfway mark to the 30 posts.

#264611 - 12/14/08 07:39 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Wissa]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Watch out Girl ! There is some kind of rule about "single sentence" Posts.

I know "Arg" is Pirate Talk and seems to express a complete thought; but I'm not sure it constitutes a Full Sentence as per the Forum Rules. I hope so for your sake.

#265604 - 12/21/08 01:27 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Vermont]
Tracybrian Offline

Loc: NorCAL
Is there any other "private parts" of the website you can access once you have the proper authorization?

#265606 - 12/21/08 02:24 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Tracybrian]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

No. There is a section for moderators to discuss moderation issues but no private forums for members. All discussion forums are open to everyone.

#265611 - 12/21/08 03:10 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Tracybrian Offline

Loc: NorCAL
lets make one... ;) that sucks because there should be a spot for "hardcores" to discuss real stuff that cant be spied on by thousands of passive viewers. Limiting access to a small part of the site might encourage more users to post in order to be a part of it. Also there are many learkers out there, I have been one for a year at least. Spiders are combing the site like crazy. I would love to be a part of a core group which is what I have witnessed on other none real estate forums.

what is the dis-advantage to doing this?

Edited by Tracybrian (12/21/08 03:11 AM)

#265614 - 12/21/08 04:22 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Tracybrian]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

Use the "Search" feature. This has been discussed before - and further discussion of this does not belong in this thread.

#272173 - 01/29/09 05:31 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
UtahRealtor Offline

Loc: Utah, USA
I can understand the reasoining behind the 30 posts, but the 9000 second rule between comments is ridiculous. I think I'll probably just find another forum. If I want to share my opinion, I don't want to half to wait a half an hour.

#272228 - 01/29/09 04:22 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: UtahRealtor]
Florida_SunShine Offline

Loc: Florida Nature Coast
I finally found out why I could not post in the REO section.

It only took a few months to find the right thread.

Now I have to work on posting every half hour:(

SONAVABEECH

#273874 - 02/05/09 11:18 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Florida_SunShine]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

I just dropped the time between posts to 10 minutes in most of the forums. The restriction on links that was introduced the same time as the time had been bumped up to 15 minutes seems to be sufficient.

#283163 - 03/25/09 05:34 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Hard Money Boy Offline

30 posting is very restrictive and on top of it delay of 15 minutes between each posting is not very conducive for getting people to stick around. I'm participating on other websites forums and I noticed that the better and bigger the forum gets the less restrictions it imposed on it members. The idea of trying to prevent spam and or whatever other consideration you may have is acting as double sword and you may end up losing many good people who simply do not have the patient to wait 15 minutes to post?! I bet that if you conduct a survey you'll discover that your membership expansion slowed down after you begun that policy.

#283170 - 03/25/09 05:59 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Hard Money Boy]
doug Offline

Admin
Veteran Member

Membership numbers are meaningless. The bulk of the membership numbers on most forums come from spammers who sign up for the link in the profile and for the opportunity to spam. That is not the case here.

The only thing that counts is the real discussions that occur.

#283171 - 03/25/09 06:00 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Hard Money Boy]
allREOpreserv Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Nationwide
Trust me, Hard Money, it's worth sticking around. Lots of really super people here and good information to exchanged and shared by all those who participate.

Linda
allreo.mailbox@gmail.com

#283177 - 03/25/09 06:47 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: doug]
Hard Money Boy Offline

Granted many are the spammers, the question is does it worth it to lose hundreds of good members because of spammers? Is there a better way to reduce spamers?

#283178 - 03/25/09 06:58 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Hard Money Boy]
Hard Money Boy Offline

Linda,

for example, I wanted to reply to your post immediately but since I replied to Doug I now now need to wait 10 minutes?!, seems like a horror government bureaucracy. I hope you are right and that I'm not wasting my time subject to some rules that frankly do not make much sense (to me).

#283181 - 03/25/09 07:50 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Hard Money Boy]
allREOpreserv Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Nationwide
Seriously. Hang in there, Hard Money.

The 15 minute wait can be used searching and reading topics you find interesting. It will help pass the time and there's an incredible amount of information posted here.

Linda
allreo.mailbox@gmail.com

#283280 - 03/26/09 07:34 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: allREOpreserv]
Hard Money Boy Offline

I can't believe I'm back. I'm torturing myself. If i'll ever make it it is because of Linda!

#283281 - 03/26/09 08:54 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Hard Money Boy]
Hard Money Boy Offline

I must be totaly crazy to go through this. I may be the only user when I'm done.

#283285 - 03/26/09 09:53 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Hard Money Boy]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

At this rate, you'll have 30 Posts in no time; all devoted to just complaining about needing 30 Posts. I'm really looking forward to what you'll have to actually contribute when it becomes something substantive.

#283292 - 03/26/09 12:34 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Vermont]
Bigtoe Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Outer Banks
HMB,

As of the time I am writing this you have 8 posts. 5 of them are complaining about this forum and the other 3 are cut and paste copies of the same post. It is beginning to look like we won't miss you if you don't come back.

#286752 - 04/19/09 02:14 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Bigtoe]
Malok Offline

Loc: Kentucky - in a barn!
Heh, looks like HMB may have given up. [Seriously, 30 posts is NOTHING for persons that are actually wanting to become a part of the community.]

#287514 - 04/24/09 02:27 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: REOGranny]
wkmattingly Offline

Loc: lexington, ky
Okay. Well I am over 30 posts but I don't have my sig showing up yet? What uP? And I"m not making crap posts either. Trying to learn. What gives?
www.wademattingly.com

#287518 - 04/24/09 02:39 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: wkmattingly]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

You need to write something in the signature field in your profile. You can do that in "My Stuff"

#291089 - 05/18/09 03:23 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: REOGranny]
Skyhawkone Offline

Loc: Ontario, Oakville
Hello

I'm from Oakville Ontario, Canada. Looking forward to the post..I will try to make 30 post to earn a signature..

PS this is my third post...27 and counting.

Michael McCulloch

#295446 - 06/19/09 10:25 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Skyhawkone]
REsoftware Offline

Hello - I'm a new member. Interesting to see everyone's reaction to the 30-post/30 min (15 min?) requirement.

So here's my first post. I guess I'll go read another forum while I am waiting.

Junk1958

#296526 - 06/29/09 11:34 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: REsoftware]
craig78 Offline

Loc: Maryland and West Virginia
I see your signature now. Good job! I'm probably about half way there.

#298042 - 07/11/09 04:56 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: REOGranny]
kab Offline

I'm pretty new to this forum but has come to a quick conclusion that there are a lot to learn from just reading post and comment. Nice job!

#299467 - 07/22/09 04:10 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
shubh Offline

Loc: uttar pradesh, india
Yes, it is appreciating to have stern policies to make the quality of the forum. This help to keep away those professional who mainly seem interested in link leaving rather than posting some information.

#301764 - 08/08/09 12:53 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: REOGranny]
DragonLady Offline

Loc: Midwest
Hmm...I can't seem to upload an avatar. Is this also related to the new member restrictions?

(And yes, it is less than 100 x 100 pixels, and it is a .jpg, trying to upload via URL)

#301771 - 08/08/09 02:16 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: DragonLady]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

Yes, you can still use a remote avatar though just by specifying a remote url for your graphic.

#301772 - 08/08/09 02:19 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
DragonLady Offline

That's what I was trying to do but it didn't work, so I wondered if it was because I'm still under 30 posts.

Sounds like you're saying that the remote method *should* work now, but there's something else I can't do under 30 posts?

Ok...I don't know what's wrong.

Edited by DragonLady (08/08/09 02:22 PM)

#301773 - 08/08/09 02:22 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: DragonLady]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

There are two fields where the url can be entered - you need to enter it in the "Url to your avatar" field and not in the "Upload your avatar" field.

#301774 - 08/08/09 02:30 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
DragonLady Offline

Yes...that's what I was doing. Or trying to anyway.

I am familiar with both methods, but I don't even have the direct upload field option on my profile - it may be hidden when one has under 30 posts...

#301782 - 08/08/09 03:30 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: DragonLady]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

Send me a Private Message with the url you are trying to use and I will check it out for you.

#301787 - 08/08/09 03:46 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
DragonLady Offline

Hmm, know what...I'll bet you I know why it's not working - it's behind a password. I'll try another method first and if that doesn't work I'll PM.

Thanks!

...ETA while in n00b timeout: Yep...that was the problem. Solved!

#306911 - 09/19/09 08:41 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Skyhawkone]
hildy Offline

Loc: MD, Montgomery County
I'm from Germantonw, MD. Looking forward to the post..This is my first post I will try to make 30 post to earn a signature..

HPollard

#306927 - 09/19/09 11:11 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: hildy]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

For new members, I have just reduced the time spam required between posts to 5 minutes. (Except for in the Introduce Yourself Forum where the time between posts is 15 minutes).

I have other measures in place that should help address the original concerns so we will try this for a while and if all is well will reduce further in the future.

#313158 - 11/09/09 10:04 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: hildy]
BusinessJohn Offline

Loc: Atlanta, GA
I'm not sure how many posts I have now, but reading the forums is worthwhile. There is a lot of good information here.

#313162 - 11/09/09 11:37 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: BusinessJohn]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: BusinessJohn
I'm not sure how many posts I have now . . ."

You are now at the Magic 19!

#327513 - 02/19/10 04:50 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Patrishia Welch Offline

Loc: PA
I believe newbies can post to an open thread, they just can't start a new one and they can't put links to websites either (that's for the spammers), until they have contributed 30 posts.

#328884 - 02/27/10 10:28 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Patrishia Welch]
Don Price (Pine) Offline
REO-BPO-R.E. Mod
Major Contributor

Loc: Pinehurst, NC
Originally Posted By: Patrishia Welch
I believe newbies can post to an open thread, they just can't start a new one and they can't put links to websites either (that's for the spammers), until they have contributed 30 posts. [/quote

[quote=jbt4re]I believe newbies can post to an open thread, they just can't start a new one and they can't put links to websites either (that's for the spammers), until they have contributed 30 posts.

Patrishia's 2nd. right under our nose - notice the topic - and stealing a mod's post too wink

Pinehurst NC Real Estate | Fayetteville Real Estate | Blog | Join active|rain

#329079 - 03/01/10 07:26 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Don Price (Pine)]
Dave23 Offline

Loc: New York
I can agree totally with most of your restrictions, but the 1 post every 15 minutes seems a little overboard. Most users surf forums over a 5 minute or so span commenting on what they read.

*edit- just came to stand corrected. That is for this forum only, 5 minutes for regular postings. Sorry

Edited by Dave23 (03/01/10 07:42 PM)

#329083 - 03/01/10 07:40 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Dave23]
doug Offline

Admin
Veteran Member

Please read the whole thread - the time between posts for new members is 5 minutes except in the introductions forum.

#335871 - 04/26/10 02:17 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
New Homes Offline

Loc: San Diego
I like how the time curbs spamming but it tough to have multiple conversations. I'll just come back regularly.

#337545 - 05/11/10 01:55 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
HouseBulb Offline

[quote=Admin]I have made an additional change to help discourage those intent on breaking the forum rules by posting single sentence type posts just to get their post count up. Now in all forums new members - those with under 30 posts - will have to wait 15 minutes between creating new threads.

Also, in most forums new members will not be able to post links.[/quote]

Though I can understand and appreciate the desire to minimize spammers, this particular limitation has made it fairly....difficult. Well, at the very least, frustrating to be a regular poster. Perhaps I move through and post too quickly, but it sucks to be told you've got to wait, and wait without a timer.

The site is great and has a wealth of information. I enjoy learning and contributing where I can, I just wish spammers (not the site admins) did make it brutal for others. :(

#339731 - 06/01/10 06:06 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: REOGranny]
sophieplaya Offline

Loc: Mexico
sounds fine to me!

#354601 - 10/14/10 07:15 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: REOGranny]
WorkitSmart Offline

Loc: Texas - I wasn't born here, b...
From a Newbie point of view, I must say that sounds fair enough. Probably after 30 posts, a person has decided if they're going to stick around for awhile.

#361161 - 12/20/10 01:21 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: WorkitSmart]
ChrisPrealtor Offline

Loc: Calgary Area
I understand the need to protect from spammers, and appreciate how it improves the overall quality of the forum. I've been reading this forum for months now....even before I finished my real estate license in July. That said, the restriction of 30 still isn't that bad. It will take me no time at all to get to 30.

#361759 - 12/25/10 09:56 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: jbt4re]
bigkma Offline

Loc: AL
I am a new member from Loxley, Alabama. I have been a REALTOR associated with EXIT Realty in Gulf Shores, Alabama for 7 years and did not know that this forum even existed. I am retired a person from TVA and UGA who dabbles in real estate trying to learn as much about profession as possible. I am also active in US Coast Guard Auxiliary. I enjoy life and I am glad to be above the ground. Looking forward to being here.

#361761 - 12/25/10 11:08 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: bigkma]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

You may be interested to review some of the prior discussion pertaining to Exit Realty by using the search feature over in the right column --->>

Just make sure to embed any multi-word search in "quotation marks".

#368438 - 02/28/11 03:36 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
jamesggilbert Offline

Loc: va
Hi,

I have been an A-O member and poster for years. I was in the REO/BPOS/Foreclosures forum. Been a few weeks since I checked in. Now I cannot access this "Private Thread."

What gives here.

James G Gilbert
Associate Broker, CDPE, MBA, MSE
RE/MAX Olympic
VA license # 0225-059831

#368442 - 02/28/11 03:55 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: jamesggilbert]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

There are two "Forecosure" forums. You had no problem accessing the BPO,REO, and Foreclosures forum but may have found that the BPO, REO, Foreclosure Asset Managers forum is restricted.

You now have access to both smile

#389390 - 09/15/11 07:45 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
KLEI Offline

Loc: Arizona
I am a new member. I have been trying to read up on the proper ways to use this forum. I could have sworn I saw that I needed to prove I was an agent somewhere. Either with a nrds # or agent id or a copy of your license. I am happy to supply my credientials but I cant find the person or location to upload to. Any help.
Thanks
Kelly Klei

#390449 - 09/28/11 12:20 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: KLEI]
Ashlin Offline

Loc: west
I am a new member also, and I don't know how to supply my credentials. Please help me too. Thanks

#390450 - 09/28/11 12:32 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Ashlin]
Doin' bpose Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Old Dominion
Originally Posted By: Ashlin
I am a new member also, and I don't know how to supply my credentials. Please help me too. Thanks
Check with one of the blue moderators to be sure (only one is needed) You don't need to hit all of them.

But this was for a specific forum on the AO site that is industry specific. So they decided to limit it to agents only, I think. It is not for the entire site.

If you want to be a part of it tell that moderator you wish to be a part and give them some basic data about you and your license.

The specific forum is listed above.

Edited by Doin' bpose (09/28/11 12:33 AM)

#403640 - 03/20/12 06:14 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
CharterPacific Offline

Loc: Sacramento, California
Okay. I understand your rules and policy. And I think your policy is good and fair for us newbie. In this way, spammers would be lessened. So, for the newbies like me, let's just follow this forum's rule.

#409353 - 06/29/12 09:18 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
affinitysolution Offline

Loc: India
hello, i am new to this forum and i found that there are a lot of restrictions while posting. Any new user have to post 30 comments to have all access. this is good but i think 30 comments is going to take some time. :o

#410849 - 08/02/12 06:23 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
ducourtier Offline

Loc: Gatineau, Quebec
I appreciate this website and quality forum. I can wait 30 posts for all access, no trouble.

#412585 - 09/11/12 10:56 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Joel33 Offline

Loc: UT
cool, I too can wait.

#412796 - 09/14/12 11:06 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Joel33]
LisaBolanos Offline

I could do thirty posts no problem, but they make you wait three hundred seconds between posts. I am sitting here waiting anyway, so I guess if I can F5 for eight hours a day, I can post every 300 seconds, LOL.

#413013 - 09/19/12 03:08 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
smg Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: United States
From what, remember, it is an agents an brokers section. Lisa, if you send the mods a copy of your license, website info, etc, you can get in sooner. That section is not open for those unlicensed. You are licensed, right?

#413992 - 10/07/12 02:51 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
realwebs Offline

I participate in several forums. Restrictions are OK, I don't mind. I understand why the restrictions are imposed. But 300 secs is something new for me. I never had this one.

#413995 - 10/07/12 03:30 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Vermont Offline
Major Contributor

The "new" restrictions are now pretty OLD . . . EXCEPT for New members; so the Title to this discussion may be a bit mis-leading.

They were introduced in May of 2008, so they've now been around more than four (4) years . . . . George Bush was President back then.

Now, the new restrictions are no longer "new". I know that; you knew that; it's just the new members who don't know that they're not new . . . . ya know what I mean ?

#413996 - 10/07/12 03:35 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: realwebs]
doug Offline

Admin
Veteran Member

Realwebs, perhaps you overlooked the reason for the restriction which was stated earlier in the thread.

"Unfortunately, spammers like to sign up in the middle of the night and can make dozens of spam posts in a very short period of time. They like to go down the list of forums and post in each one - and it takes me a lot longer to delete those posts than it takes the spammer to make them.

That is the reason for the restriction."

#417517 - 12/27/12 04:21 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Tom Ashworth Offline

Loc: Burnet, Texas
I fully understand and agree with your position on this. Thank you for having such a nice forum.

http://burnettexashomes.com
http://texas-hill-country-homes.com
http://burnetblog.com
http://ashworthservices.com

#419717 - 02/06/13 11:12 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
buzzingstreet Offline

Loc: india
Thanks for the information.

#426832 - 08/07/13 12:37 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Fleetfoot Offline

Loc: Temporarily in Wichita, KS
Hi, New member here. I agree with most of what you are doing, but the five-minute long waits between replies may also chase off potentially great contributors. Although I totally understand the purpose of reducing abuse and spam, I would suggest maybe making new users wait for 2-3 minutes. No biggie either way, just giving my 2-cents.

#427821 - 09/01/13 05:32 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Eric Estate Offline

Loc: Austin
I'm a new member, and have been a member of many different forums. This post will be my 30th.

I joined the forum over a year ago when I first got my license, because I saw so much beneficial information here. I had a lot of questions, and many of the topics didn't address my specific concerns.

But I had to wait 5 minutes between posting. That's an eternity in the internet.

So I left this forum, and never really found what I was looking for - There really aren't any great real estate forums on line.

I spent a lot of time building my twitter and facebook followings instead. And I began to work a lot on my blog.

Thankfully those endeavors paid off for me in ways I'm only beginning to imagine.

There are so many other ways to restrict spammers on this board. A simple Captcha before every post for the first 30 or so would do the job very nicely, and save a lot of time, AND get more people active.

If you look, the majority of members have less than 10 posts, and many have less than 100. That's crazy. On other boards I was on people would be in the 5000-1000 posts. That makes for a very active community.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents. I'll continue to post and contribute, and make this the best place I can for now.

#427865 - 09/02/13 09:13 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

Back when this thread started over 5 years ago using a captcha was not an option but it is now. So, thanks to your reminder I have removed the time limitation and added the requirement of a captcha for the first 30 posts.

#427904 - 09/03/13 11:08 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
johnnyloans Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Los Angeles ,CA
I am past 30 posts but I am getting the captcha?
Greater Los Angeles Area
www.PalmdaleRealestate.biz
Have Car Will Travel
For Those That Google JohnnyJamesBroker@gmail.com

#427908 - 09/03/13 11:24 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: johnnyloans]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

It should be OK now Johnny. You should no longer have to enter the captcha. Please let me know if you continue to have this issue.

#427922 - 09/04/13 05:33 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Eric Estate Offline

Loc: Austin
Yay! Thanks for this.

#428969 - 10/02/13 02:50 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Nashville Homes Offline

Loc: Nashville, TN
:) Hey, if google is cracking down on spammers, makes sense for the rest of us to do the same! Personally, I think a 30-post limit is very, very lenient.

#430363 - 11/20/13 04:03 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
TheVenturiTeam Offline

Loc: New Mexico
I'm a new member and the restrictions sounds to be reasonable. Most spammers now a days use software to post so inputting captcha for new members sounds good.

You might also want put up some restrictions in between posts. Like an interval of 10seconds perhaps?

#430873 - 12/09/13 10:48 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Kirk Craig Offline

Loc: Illinois
Some are here to get information. Some are here to build links. Some like myself want to to both. I actually enjoy reading the perspectives of other brokers and have begun to implement some of the ideas suggested here. If the restrictions drive some off then they probably showed up here for the wrong reasons anyway.

#432256 - 01/26/14 11:21 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Denis-M Offline

Loc: New York, New York, Queens
That is great, but with spammers you mean people who post things that have no use for the members here i assume, don't know much about forums,i have never been much an internet person i prefer books and paper magazines but i guess we all have to go with the times

#432901 - 02/11/14 06:40 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
MyCupOfTea Offline

Loc: Arizona
Speaking as a new member, it is somewhat inconvenient. But I totally see the point and look forward to achieving full member status

#435137 - 04/10/14 02:25 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
deeps Offline

Loc: India
30 posts to get signature is really challenging

#435147 - 04/10/14 11:31 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: deeps]
DueDiligence Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Wild Wild West
Joining to "get a signature" kind of defeats the purpose of the forum. Unless you believe your signature is important information for us.

#435155 - 04/10/14 02:19 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
DonFolz Offline

Loc: Charlotte
Second post to this forum and I completely agree with posting/websites rules.
I have been browsing posts for a while now, just wish I had registered and started posting sooner.

BTW... and excuse me if the answer is only a click away, but... is the image verification required on every post or only for new memmber posts?

Thanks,
Don

#435156 - 04/10/14 02:24 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: DonFolz]
Admin Offline

Veteran Member

Image verification is just required for new members for the first 30 posts.

#436161 - 05/20/14 11:28 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Tracybrian]
Jack Robbins Offline

Loc: Lincoln NE
I guess some would consider me to be a lerker because I am only considering switching my profession to real estate. I have a few simple questions but I guess I will need to jump into 30 threads before I can post my first question.

Well, whatever it takes!

#438112 - 08/07/14 10:48 AM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Eric G. Offline

Where is that "shout box thing" and what is that for? Sorry newbie's question.

#438118 - 08/07/14 12:15 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Eric G. Offline

Ops sorry. I found the shout box. I didn't notice it before. Sorry for the stupid question.

#438140 - 08/08/14 02:20 PM Re: New Restrictions on New Members [Re: Admin]
Tony C. Offline

Loc: Seattle
I have no idea where the shout box is. Oh, that's right!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  doug 
Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Breezy LL, jmarshallsquare, jeannptns01, s3th1j0hns0n, Andrew Silva
31031 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (realestategreat), 106 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
CathCoy 21
Z06Fanatic 20
realestategreat 16
Lucky Leonardo 15
T.T. 12
OahuAgent 11
Trouble 9
Long Walk 4
RATKOS 3