Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28526517
No new orders today 13144490
Stupid MLS comments. 3359222
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1235260
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1107746
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1062459
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 850726
Let's talk about our cars 702454
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 627719
Most common items found at an REO 625538
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 618156
REOTRANS 466504
EML 459235
Main Street 448917
asset val seminar in colorado 425417
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 356099
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 331574
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#217261 - 04/04/08 01:18 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: Set Up]
pastmember Offline

Loc: USA
I represent 2 residential developments where 1 has a model open 7 days a week and the other is open just weekends so open houses have been a way of life for me for a long time. Open houses work in my area (mainly waterfront second homes) and I have newbies along with seasoned, successful Realtors on my project team.

Advertisements
#217502 - 04/05/08 04:24 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: Set Up]
JanMarie Offline

Loc: Georgia
I have volunteered to do Open Houses for other agents and have them all month this month and on doing as many as possible. For just that very reason. I am very new, with not even a first listing yet, but am anxious to start networking and meeting people.

Don't bring a problem to the table without a solution
or at least a willingness to be part of the solution.

#217550 - 04/05/08 09:12 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: JanMarie]
Devil's Advocate Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I hope, the other agents have agreed to compensate you in the event you sell their listing and that your broker is fully aware of the compensation agreed to.

Most broker's hope to avoid any misunderstanding regarding compensation among his/her agents as it will pollute the office atmosphere.

Important Notice: This information is provided as basic educational information by the author and is not a substitute for the advice of an expert and/or the advice of a lawyer. There is NO representation as to legality, accuracy, correctness of the herein information and the reader is strongly urged to consult a lawyer in the relevant jurisdiction to ensure accuracy before acting on this information .

#217551 - 04/05/08 09:43 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: Devil's Advocate]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
^^That's the way our office runs it - if you do an open house and sell the house, you get the full co-broke commission.

#218647 - 04/10/08 02:36 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
RebelBroker Offline
California Real Estate Broker
Veteran Member

Loc: Morgan Hill, CA, USA
My experience with open houses has always been pretty good when it comes to finding buyers. It does not happen at every one, but I have gotten at least one of my current buyers from an open house I held recently.

The bottom line is that holding an open house is going to do more for our business than watching the game. Do SOMETHING is going to be better than doing NOTHING!

R

Roberts Website

NOT LEGAL ADVICE

#219249 - 04/12/08 11:49 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: RebelBroker]
mmartin Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh PA
I've had some good success with open houses and usually do 2 a month. The key is to try to do open houses in a price range that will attract a large amount of buyers.

To get people to our open houses, we advertise them in the local paper a few days before Sunday. We also have it advertised on all our websites including our broker's website. Some agents will send out postcards to the neighbors advertising the open house (we don't do that). We put an "open house" sign rider on the broker sign in front of the house a week before the open house date. We also put up directional signs leading people to the open house.

I have a buyer's kit that I give a way to anyone who I feel I can latch on to. I also have my laptop with me and hook up my treo 700 cell phone for internet access. I can search the MLS right in front of the customer at the open house. If we see something interesting, I make an appointment to show it that day or the next day.

In fact, last week a buyer came to my open house, I did a search on my laptop for other houses that fit her needs, and we went to see one when my open house was over.

Creative Agent Club
Creative Promotional and Marketing Ideas for Real Estate Agents
Now Available - Creating a Lead Capture Campaign with BAP - Video Series

#219363 - 04/13/08 05:08 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: mmartin]
pastmember Offline

Loc: USA
I hold open houses to sell the product that I am having open and if something else comes out of it then that is great. If a potential buyer wants to talk to me in detail about other properties (which I do get MANY calls later) they can give me a call or meet me at a later time...most buyers at opens have already been to a few that day and have heard a few pitches already...dare to be different...it sometimes works.

#219558 - 04/14/08 10:01 AM Re: Open House questions [Re: pastmember]
Jennifer Allan Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: The Beach
BINGO Summer!

I hold open houses for 4 reasons, two of which are critical...

1. To make my seller happy
2. To gather feedback on the house for my seller
3. To get to know the house better myself
4. And of course, to sell the house

Prospecting for new clients isn't even on my list, although it occasionally happens. I don't ask for sign-in's or contact information unless someone specifically asks me for information. It's amazing how many people WILL if they don't get your sales pich!

#219570 - 04/14/08 11:06 AM Re: Open House questions [Re: Jennifer Allan]
Artiste Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Arizona Bay
^ I always get names and numbers - I don't care if it makes them mad.

When they get in a snit about it I ask "Would you want unknown strangers in your home when it's for sale? What if something is broken or turns up missing? Wouldn't you want to know who was in your home that day? Of course you would. Please sign the registry or you may come back for a private tour with me or your Realtor on another day - thanks."

Edited by Artiste (04/14/08 11:07 AM)

NAFTA is over!!
(if you want it)

#219854 - 04/15/08 07:52 AM Re: Open House questions [Re: Artiste]
Jennifer Allan Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: The Beach
Artiste - Wow - does this approach win you many friends? Not to be snitty - but if an agent holding an open house snottily implied that I might steal something from a home, just because I didn't want to be added to her mailing list, I'd turn around and walk out. Which certainly is NOT a benefit to my seller.

#219858 - 04/15/08 08:25 AM Re: Open House questions [Re: Jennifer Allan]
Artiste Offline
Major Contributor

If they're going to kick up a fit over something simple like that, then I don't want to be their friend. It's not a mailing list per se, it's a record of who was in the home.

I hope nothing turns up damaged or lost in your open house cuz then you get to say "Gee, Mr & Mrs Seller, I don't know who was in here today." and they get to say "Every other agent in town is keeping records, where are yours?" and then you get to say "I was more concerned with making friends with these con-artists than I cared about your home security."

NAFTA is over!!
(if you want it)

#220006 - 04/15/08 08:01 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: Artiste]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
I can see your point, Artiste - but how do we even know that people are truthful when they sign in? Do you ask for ID? (not being snotty, seriously asking.)

#220068 - 04/16/08 01:03 AM Re: Open House questions [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
estatereal Online   content
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
the real reason why an agent has a sign in sheet is to collect leads.

the truth about open houses are that they are a one line part in a listing presentation meant to make sellers feel good. instead of telling people what they want to hear, tell them what they need to hear. if a seller requested that i put their house in every local paper in my state would i do it to apease them? no! i would explain the truth about newspaper advertisements and who they really benefit. if the seller wanted to run them, i would let them and offer exclusive agency at a higher commission split.

statistically an open house benefits the agent with buyer leads.

if you read the forums, you will notice that agnets will talk about holding open houses to get buyer leads. they dont talk about holding open houses to actually sell the house you are holding open.

#220109 - 04/16/08 08:20 AM Re: Open House questions [Re: estatereal]
Artiste Offline
Major Contributor

We agree that it's rare to sell a home at an open house (even though I did and my mom bought hers at an OH, but still.)

I don't card ppl at the door and if they use a fake name then they use a fake name - but before they do the bad people will balk & argue. Not just "bad" as in the "I'm casing the joint" bad, but also "bad" as in "I'm an a-hole and I'm going to argue with you and demand that I get to walk around in here!"

So what are the odd the snit-fitters are going to buy the home?
If you said "Zero" I think you're right.

What are the odd that they'll become your buyer-client?
Zero

So forget them - they're not worth it - they're bad, they have bad intentions, their behavior is bad, their attitude is bad and they'll not be your client, so why care if they walk?

Even Brian Buffini tells us to kick those ppl to the curb with a hearty "Buh BYE!"

It's my open house and it's my rule - if they don't like it then they can come back later with me or their Realtor - we know they won't.

NAFTA is over!!
(if you want it)

#220849 - 04/18/08 09:48 PM Re: Open House questions [Re: Artiste]
JanMarie Offline

Loc: Georgia
So far in my very short career I have sat for two open houses. Neither one proved fruitful. One was a 179,000 and the other 415,000. Both produced two different couples all of which were "just looking."
I still plan on doing more, these were just not very productive open houses. I can only hope that they ALL won't be that way.

Don't bring a problem to the table without a solution
or at least a willingness to be part of the solution.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
alen111, deanne, Cupcakes, whoiamnow, KateK
30192 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (Bernard, estatereal, KateK), 62 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Vermont 19
Trouble 17
estatereal 11
Z06Fanatic 10
Mr. Clean 8
newagent2028 8
HChomat 7
T.T. 6
Bigtoe 5