Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28989149
No new orders today 13215625
Stupid MLS comments. 3508722
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1321992
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1158161
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1113043
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 899120
Let's talk about our cars 747322
Most common items found at an REO 675547
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 662624
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 659165
REOTRANS 504703
Main Street 484629
EML 459242
asset val seminar in colorado 447176
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 384390
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 362455
Evalonline 300214
Land America 285054
Mainstreet 261863
Matched Content
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#174706 - 10/10/07 01:51 AM urban vs suburban
ruv12 Offline

Loc: Northern California
Can some please explain the difference and give examples of cities that would be either urban or suburban. I just want to see if Im on the same page........I have to explain to a bank my area.
Thanks

Advertisements
#174715 - 10/10/07 02:08 AM Re: urban vs suburban [Re: ruv12]
CanDo Offline
Major Contributor

Population density generally determines, to some extent, all of the possibilities (urban, suburban, rural). For example to be considered suburban, population has to be at least 100,000 or there abouts. For example, New York City would be considered urban but perhaps Jamaica would be considered suburban. Or a California example would be San Francisco, which would be considered urban but Pacifica or Daly City would be considered suburban. I hope I didn't muddy the waters for you. Good luck.

Edited by CanDo (10/10/07 03:19 AM)
Edit Reason: My brain raced faster than my fingers and made big sentence structure mistakes.

#174716 - 10/10/07 02:27 AM Re: urban vs suburban [Re: ruv12]
bLANK mAN Offline

Originally Posted By: ruv12
Can some please explain the difference and give examples of cities that would be either urban or suburban. I just want to see if Im on the same page........I have to explain to a bank my area.
Thanks

Now I have heard it all. How in the world are you doing Bpo and you do not know the difference? This is ridiculous.

#174717 - 10/10/07 02:32 AM Re: urban vs suburban [Re: bLANK mAN]
ruv12 Offline

I do know the difference but my area is a bit hard to explain to a bank.............Why is everyone on here so ready to knock people for asking a questions?
I have several years of top producing experience and just wanted to get another point of view

#174718 - 10/10/07 02:37 AM Re: urban vs suburban [Re: ruv12]
GoldenGirl Offline

Loc: northern Illinois
ruv12 I know how you feel...my area is a suburb of Chicago which is urban, but we are a fully incorporated city surrounded by farm land...so...urban? suburban? rural? Could be any of these depending on what your interprtation is of the term.

#174723 - 10/10/07 03:05 AM Re: urban vs suburban [Re: GoldenGirl]
bLANK mAN Offline

Originally Posted By: GoldenGirl
ruv12 I know how you feel...my area is a suburb of Chicago which is urban, but we are a fully incorporated city surrounded by farm land...so...urban? suburban? rural? Could be any of these depending on what your interprtation is of the term.

I am sorry but to say an area could be rural and urban at the same time is ludicrous. There could be some confusion between urban/suburban or suburban/rural but urban/rural? C'mon, Generally it is cut and dry, if you are not sure then use your best JUDGEMENT.

#174891 - 10/10/07 09:41 PM Re: urban vs suburban [Re: bLANK mAN]
TC Realtor Offline

Loc: Twin Cities, MN
I do a lot of work where the feel is no different than urban, but location is in a suburb. I usualy just note that it's in a first ring suburb with urban-like housing density. BTW...I've been lurking here for a litle over a month but didn't join due to all the flaming going on, glad to see it cleaned up over the past week!

#174895 - 10/10/07 09:58 PM Re: urban vs suburban [Re: ruv12]
Wealth Realty Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Pasadena
 Originally Posted By: ruv12
I do know the difference but my area is a bit hard to explain to a bank.............Why is everyone on here so ready to knock people for asking a questions?
I have several years of top producing experience and just wanted to get another point of view

just ignore those that act like that...they have nothing better to do then post negatives...im a firm believer in if you dont have anything good to say.dont say anything at all... be strong...this site is filled with people like that...bpo's are competitive and with new agents getting into the field daily...some people dont appreciate newbs... im still one so i understand you...good luck!

#174980 - 10/11/07 04:22 AM Re: urban vs suburban [Re: Wealth Realty]
Mitch Offline

Loc: DFW Texas
I understand the confusion - I'm in the Dallas-Ft. worth Metroplex (which would be considered urban when strictly using population as the determining factor) and you can have a subdivision that is in the city limits but suburban in nature...i.e, 30 minutes outside of the downtown area, surrounded by corn fields, cows, whatever...So, I would consider this subdivision to be a suburban subdivision even though it is located in a city of over 1 million...You are the expert in your market area, so use your best judgement when determining urban/suburban...at least that's what I do

#174982 - 10/11/07 04:25 AM Re: urban vs suburban [Re: Wealth Realty]
Gman Offline

As far as appraisals go, USPAP ( The Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice )has no exact definition for urban, suburban or rural. As far as BPO's go I will list it as rural if it is in an area with a low population density and has no comps just so I don't have to keep answering ridiculous questions. I just add comments such as, the subject property is located in an area with a low population density but could be considered suburban due to it's close proximity to all services.

#189591 - 12/28/07 06:18 PM Clear definition of suburban and urban?
Cool guy Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: California
I have a bpo on a property that is within walking distance of high traffic and retail areas. I characterize this property as urban but two previous reports have this as a suburban property.

#189643 - 12/29/07 12:20 AM Re: Clear definition of suburban and urban? [Re: Cool guy]
Traveler Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: The Coast
The population density within a certain radius of say, one mile.

For an exact definition you might try the census bureau.

#189680 - 12/29/07 04:14 AM Re: Clear definition of suburban and urban? [Re: Traveler]
Gman Offline

Urban is where all the graffiti is, Suburban is where the graffiti is just starting and rural is where there is no graffiti.

All kidding aside, even USPAP ( Uniform Standards of Professional Appraisal Practice ) does not specify what urban, suburban and rural are. As stated previously on this subject you really need to understand your own area and make the appropriate remarks. Maybe start by explaining what the area is primarily made up of, SFR's, vacant land, commercial, resorts, retirement communities, mobile home parks, PUD's, vacation homes / second homes, etc.etc. Maybe give the percentages of each category and distances between if the area is really difficult to explain as you have stated. Give percentages of owner occ., ten. occ. and part time / 2nd home occ. if necessary. PM me if you need more help.

#189681 - 12/29/07 04:20 AM Re: Clear definition of suburban and urban? [Re: Gman]
neudot Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Central New York
Regarding CanDo's definition of urban, that wouldn't work where I live. Our county's two largest metropolitan (if you can call them that) cities have 60,000 and 40,000 respectively. By the above definition, we wouldn't have any areas that are urban. But Gman's definition would work!

#189717 - 12/29/07 07:26 AM Re: urban vs suburban [Re: Mitch]
Austin360 Offline

Loc: Austin, TX
Mitch, we have a similar situation in Austin with most of the homes having a suburban density even though they are located in the City of Austin. In fact there are many neighborhoods that can be considered suburban due to the population density even though they are in close proximity to the central business district. I agree that the rules are murky at best and you have to just use your best judgement and know your own market area.

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
REOHomie, JenniferVillalba, kumarbuilders, andr3s017, joanna omile
30919 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (Scagent), 37 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
CathCoy 22
realestategreat 13
ManhattanMiami 13
Bigtoe 12
Trouble 12
Z06Fanatic 10
Chris Goerge 9
Snap Up 8
JessicaHawthorne 5