Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Free Foreclosure Webinar

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28600612
No new orders today 13153179
Stupid MLS comments. 3368143
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1241636
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1110998
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1065402
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 854536
Let's talk about our cars 705927
Most common items found at an REO 631017
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 630075
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 621186
REOTRANS 468972
EML 459235
Main Street 452519
asset val seminar in colorado 427200
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 357951
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 333326
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155704 - 07/15/07 05:50 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Huntstyle]
estatereal Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
Originally Posted By: Huntstyle
Originally Posted By: Elecat
Originally Posted By: Cool Cat
Originally Posted By: Huntstyle
For those door knockers out there, do you knock on doors in neighborhoods with a sign at the entrance that says No Soliciting? I'd like to start knocking on doors, but every neighborhood around here says No Soliciting.

Here is the original thread.

It is referring to neighborhoods with a No Soliciting sign posted at the entrance, not on the door of individual homes.

I'm just starting out, but if I'm faced with such a sign, here's my plan. If I REALLY want to let the folks "inside" know about my services, I'll get names and addresses from the county tax records and send them all a very nice mailing.

It will cost a bit in postage, but I will have respected the wishes of the homeowners in that neighborhood.

And they will quickly glance at it, and toss it in the can. I really think mailings are a waste of money, unless you have already met the person. Meet them through door-knocking, THEN send out mailings. I knocked 100 doors last week, although only got about 30 or so that were home. One gentleman talked with me for about 5 minutes, and I prepared a CMA for two others to use to appeal their property taxes (big issue here right now, taxes have tripled, even quadroupled for some). Maybe this won't be immediate business for me, but I am making good contacts and meeting new people. A few houses have no soliciting signs by the door, and I respect that and move on to the next house.

If you are worried about bothering people, then obviously you don't have anything of value to give them, because you feel guilty about it. If you feel like you are providing a valuable service, then you would not feel guilty about "bothering" people. I am an introvert as well, but I also have set big goals for myself, and I'm able to step out of my comfort zone in order to reach those goals.

And by the way, the area I am door knocking does not have a no soliciting sign for the community, so you all can relax! There are a lot of big egos on this board!

RIGHT ON!!!!!!!!!!

Advertisements
#155706 - 07/15/07 05:58 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: estatereal]
estatereal Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
i dont randomly knock on a door, but i respect that you do and know for a fact that the response generated is far greater than mailing.

i took a listing today. there was an expired that i had started to work probably 3-4 months ago, i tried to knock and speak with him but he was not home so i did the next best thing. i put a doorhanger on his door giving some brief details, and lo and behold i got a call. i set up a meeting and interviewed, along with several other agents. he had to wait for his wife to come back in country so that the docs could be signed and he could get her approval. he wanted to narrow it down to one agent. while his wife was gone i kept a bit of contact and he even fsbo'd. his wife came back and i got the call on teh 4th of july asking to present to him, and he signed today. the house is very reasonably priced(he has to get into his next home which he alwready bought) he is hte lowest priced home in the neighborhood!!!! the last time that happened (i got hte most reasonably priced home) the house i had sold in 8 days. if you are motivated to sell and your home shows well, plus you price it according to how fast you want to sell it you can move a home in this market easy.

#155707 - 07/15/07 06:00 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: estatereal]
Jennifer Allan Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: The Beach
Big Egos? Heck yeah!

Don't all salespeople have strong egos? I do... and I hope everyone else here does too.

Nothing wrong with that.

#155856 - 07/16/07 01:59 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Elecat]
AmberEyez Offline

Loc: Eastern US
Originally Posted By: Elecat

I'm just starting out, but if I'm faced with such a sign, here's my plan. If I REALLY want to let the folks "inside" know about my services, I'll get names and addresses from the county tax records and send them all a very nice mailing.

It will cost a bit in postage, but I will have respected the wishes of the homeowners in that neighborhood.

AH! The innocence of being new! The trouble with that idea is simple - it doesn't work very well and its very expensive ($$$). My first year, I spent a ton of time and money (several thousand) on mailings and had but one reply and that led nowhere. Let me just say that I did everything "right" by picking a farm that no agent or company dominated. I also picked an area that had a fairly high home turnover rate and sent mailing after mailing to try and get my name in their faces, but still nothing. It was then that I realized that most people were just like me - they open their junk mail with the paper shredder switched "on". I do the same, I get enough junk mail to fill a landfill each week and have no time to even look at it.

That doesn't mean that you should run around complexes where there are "no soliciting" signs. I know it is oh soooo tempting. There is one complex in my town that is currently a rental and is converting to condo. Everyone hates it there and I would love to catch some of that business that I know will be coming from the renters looking to bail out. BUT, they have very strict "no soliciting" rules and they mean business about it too. Some of the characters on this forum would have been in for a serious reality check if they tried to door-knock or leave flyers in this complex!

I may try mailers if I can come up with a VERY unique campaign. But it would have to be very outside the box and eye-catching to be at all effective, because I'm sure that most residents could paper the walls with the number of agent mailings they have gotten over the past few weeks since the annoucement.

Bottom line: If you are really serious about mailing campaign, it must be something very, very unique and outside the box. Giving them market stats and what has sold and your own listings and sales will not cut it. If you are not careful, you will find that you are advertising your brokerage and not yourself. So be careful who you ask advice of as well. Most brokers are happy to let you advertise them for free. You literally have less than one second to grab their eye or it goes into the shredder. You also need to count on many, many mailings in order to get their attention. Make no mistake, this is a very expensive way to advertise with a very high failure rate. You are risking thousands - so take great care. This is why there are agents who try over and over again to get around the "no soliciting" signs.

Page 8 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
InternGrinder, Diamond Concrete, OnTheDownload, rhea_re, Preferred Group
30254 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 39 Guests and 7 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Advertisement

Top Posters (30 Days)
dotcom_agents 16
Tim Bizz 14
Trouble 13
Vermont 11
T.T. 11
gitmonee 10
estatereal 10
Daniel1234 8