Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28528402
No new orders today 13144690
Stupid MLS comments. 3359516
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1235413
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1107881
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1062611
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 850855
Let's talk about our cars 702670
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 627851
Most common items found at an REO 625796
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 618299
REOTRANS 466650
EML 459235
Main Street 449027
asset val seminar in colorado 425527
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 356170
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 331652
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#155247 - 07/13/07 02:55 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: vk60546]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
Yes, when we realize we have no leg to stand on, we attempt to set up a straw man and embellish it with hyperbole.

It does not make you look smart, BTW. Taking something to ridiculous extremes only exposes the faulty logic behind it.

Advertisements
#155248 - 07/13/07 03:03 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: vk60546]
Elecat Offline

Loc: NE Ohio
vk:

Halloween -- that's why you turn your porch light "on" if you want the kids to come. I know you know that...but I thought I'd say it anyway.

#155262 - 07/13/07 04:59 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Elecat]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Of course, they know Elecat. They are just grasping at straws - er, strawmen, or...strawpeople, (to be PC) - in an attempt to make those of us who prefer not to invade people's privacy (and who don't appreciate our privacy being invaded) look silly.

#155264 - 07/13/07 05:05 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Quote:
Hi Paul, do you think that "no soliciting" applies to government workers (i.e. those that want you to vote for a certain candidate)?

Um...government workers do this? You mean my tax dollars pay these people to go out and knock on doors and attempt to get my vote? I thought these were political volunteers. Either way, NO, it's not okay if there is a sign on my door that says "no soliciting" that means unless you are invited, are a friend, or have an emergency, you'd best not knock on my door.

Quote:
And if it's ok for a government employee to knock on my door, even if there were a no soliciting sign, then why should it be forbidden for me to knock on the door of the residence of that government employee?

You are assuming that it's okay for a government employee (really? The government uses my tax dollars to do this?) to solicit political support. It is not unilaterally okay. It's okay if the people in the house don't mind.

#155357 - 07/13/07 09:16 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Bay Area Brian]
Paceryder Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: The Milky Way
Originally Posted By: Bay Area Brian
The kind of responses I expected. Marketing, whether passive or aggressive is soliciting, and any other self imposed mindset is merely rationalization.

I don't care if someone knocks on my door.
That said, you know darn well that "no soliciting" means AT THE DOOR.

#155359 - 07/13/07 09:19 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: vk60546]
Paceryder Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: The Milky Way
Originally Posted By: vk60546
Hi Paul, do you think that "no soliciting" applies to government workers (i.e. those that want you to vote for a certain candidate)?

And if it's ok for a government employee to knock on my door, even if there were a no soliciting sign, then why should it be forbidden for me to knock on the door of the residence of that government employee?

Call it what you want, but with so many rules and regulations you will soon have to call a lawyer before picking up a phone. That's getting to be ridiculous.

Also, how about those kids on the Haloween? Do the "No Soliciting" signs apply to them as well?

I don't know about government workers but certain groups are excempt from do not call, such as charities. I complained once about a chimney sweeping company that called me and was told that they weren't violating the "do not call" rule because they weren't trying to sell me something over the phone, they were calling to make an appointment. JFTR, I am in NY.

#155363 - 07/13/07 09:24 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Paceryder]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Charities and political groups are exempt from DNC. the republicans were bugging me so much one election I told them that if they called me one more time, I was going to vote democrat. lol

#155400 - 07/13/07 10:53 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
AmberEyez Offline

Loc: Eastern US
Political campaigns are exempt from the DNC. Right now the parties are having petitions signed for local candidates in my area. Big mess with a bunch of independents jumping into the game. I do believe that they are allowed to knock on the door for the signatures and that in this case its exempt. There are so many petitions running around, its hard to keep track of them all.

#155407 - 07/13/07 11:02 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: AmberEyez]
SummitNJ-Realtor Offline

Loc: New Jersey
This thread is not dead yet?????
973-647-0253 Direct
Serving the Chatham NJ Real Estate, Madison NJ Real Estate, and Morristown NJ Real Estate markets.

#155408 - 07/13/07 11:05 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
estatereal Online   content
Major Contributor

Loc: LAND OF THE FREE!
as somebody who knocks doors and has a team who calls fsbo's and expireds all day long setting up appointments i will say that i will pass by a house that has a no soliciting sign up.

here is a story for you.. a true one at that.

in case my spelling is worse than normal i am on my 1st cigar and a few glasses of wine!

i was at a gentleman's house by the name of Mr. Stevens. he was an expired. i pulled the expired listing about 1 hour before hitting the door. a late start for the day but we had appointments earlier in the day. we get to the door and notice a NO SOLICITING sign. i respectfully tell my partner that i wont bother somebody who specifically asked to not be solicited. as we are walking back to my partners car we notice a gentleman pulling up in a Chevy truck and as he gets out i ask him if he is Mr. Stevens and he says yes!!!! i tell him that i was turning away and not leaving my package on his door out of respect because i noticed that he had a do not solicit sign up and he actually apologized to me stating that he only put the sign up to stop pizza fliers from getting put up on his door. he is going through a divorce and his listing expired because IMO he is overpriced by a rookie realtor who took the listing and said what they had to because they wanted it. we are going back this week to list him!!!!!

the point is that because he asked not to be solicited by the sign i would not have knocked on his door but because we ran into each other we spoke and now i have a deal getting ready to go with him...

if tomorrow i noticed a no soliciting door i would pass by it.. i do respect peoples wishes and there is enough business out there that i dont care if i loose a possible listing because i follow the wishes of the person. but at the same time maybe they are not putting the sign up because of you.

he just did not want pizza fliers on his door!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if i see a no soliciting sign tomorrow i will pass by and leave them alone.

Edited by estatereal (07/13/07 11:07 PM)

#155410 - 07/13/07 11:07 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: AmberEyez]
Pikes Peak Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: FL
....and politicians can use your money to campaign without your permission (I wish I had his budget to market).
http://www.gazette.com/articles/lamborn_24740___article.html/harvin_mailings.html

#155451 - 07/14/07 05:39 AM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Huntstyle]
Cool Cat Offline

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: Huntstyle
For those door knockers out there, do you knock on doors in neighborhoods with a sign at the entrance that says No Soliciting? I'd like to start knocking on doors, but every neighborhood around here says No Soliciting.

Here is the original thread.

It is referring to neighborhoods with a No Soliciting sign posted at the entrance, not on the door of individual homes.

#155459 - 07/14/07 07:47 AM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Elecat Offline

Originally Posted By: Perky_REALTOR
Of course, they know Elecat. They are just grasping at straws - er, strawmen, or...strawpeople, (to be PC) - in an attempt to make those of us who prefer not to invade people's privacy (and who don't appreciate our privacy being invaded) look silly.

It's amazing, Perky. I mean...really...how hard is it to just DO the RIGHT THING?!?!?!

#155460 - 07/14/07 07:51 AM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Cool Cat]
Elecat Offline

Originally Posted By: Cool Cat
For those door knockers out there, do you knock on doors in neighborhoods with a sign at the entrance that says No Soliciting? I'd like to start knocking on doors, but every neighborhood around here says No Soliciting.

It is referring to neighborhoods with a No Soliciting sign posted at the entrance, not on the door of individual homes.

I'm just starting out, but if I'm faced with such a sign, here's my plan. If I REALLY want to let the folks "inside" know about my services, I'll get names and addresses from the county tax records and send them all a very nice mailing.

It will cost a bit in postage, but I will have respected the wishes of the homeowners in that neighborhood.

#155695 - 07/15/07 04:31 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Elecat]
Huntstyle Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
Originally Posted By: Elecat
Originally Posted By: Cool Cat

I'm just starting out, but if I'm faced with such a sign, here's my plan. If I REALLY want to let the folks "inside" know about my services, I'll get names and addresses from the county tax records and send them all a very nice mailing.

It will cost a bit in postage, but I will have respected the wishes of the homeowners in that neighborhood.

And they will quickly glance at it, and toss it in the can. I really think mailings are a waste of money, unless you have already met the person. Meet them through door-knocking, THEN send out mailings. I knocked 100 doors last week, although only got about 30 or so that were home. One gentleman talked with me for about 5 minutes, and I prepared a CMA for two others to use to appeal their property taxes (big issue here right now, taxes have tripled, even quadroupled for some). Maybe this won't be immediate business for me, but I am making good contacts and meeting new people. A few houses have no soliciting signs by the door, and I respect that and move on to the next house.

If you are worried about bothering people, then obviously you don't have anything of value to give them, because you feel guilty about it. If you feel like you are providing a valuable service, then you would not feel guilty about "bothering" people. I am an introvert as well, but I also have set big goals for myself, and I'm able to step out of my comfort zone in order to reach those goals.

And by the way, the area I am door knocking does not have a no soliciting sign for the community, so you all can relax! There are a lot of big egos on this board!

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
CShaw, kmajors, alen111, deanne, Cupcakes
30194 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (Z06Fanatic, HChomat, 1 invisible), 47 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Vermont 17
Trouble 17
Z06Fanatic 10
Mr. Clean 10
estatereal 10
T.T. 9
HChomat 7
newagent2028 7
Big Kahuna 5