Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28526517
No new orders today 13144490
Stupid MLS comments. 3359222
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1235260
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1107746
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1062459
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 850726
Let's talk about our cars 702454
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 627719
Most common items found at an REO 625538
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 618156
REOTRANS 466504
EML 459235
Main Street 448917
asset val seminar in colorado 425417
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 356099
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 331574
Evalonline 300210
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#152176 - 07/02/07 04:47 AM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
AmberEyez Offline

Loc: Eastern US
I do the yard thing to. I walk neighborhoods and talk to people who are out gardening or walking the dog or playing with the kids. There are only a couple of areas that are conducive to this type of prospecting, but for those neighborhoods, it works.

As for my "attitude problem". I think agents have enough trouble thorwing off the "sleazy, pushing, in-your-face" image without newer agents running around ignoring "no soliciting" signs.

Let me explain what someone coming to MY door entails for me. I have two large dogs. One is very protective. If I'm on the phone or working with someone, I have to stop because of the barking. If someone knocks on my door, I have to chase the dogs away either in the back yard or in another room before answering the door. It is time consuming, interrupts my business and is VERY annoying. A similar situation arises with a mother trying to feed a young child in a high chair or a mother that just put a child down for a nap. The bell rings, wakes the baby etc. This isn't a minor inconvenience for many of us and our desire NOT to be solicited needs to be respected. If every sales person in the area was as inconiderate as Summit NJ and Huntstyle, I'd never be able to work at home at all! Thank God, my area is different in that almost anyone would give a very frosty response from that type of prospecting. People know it and don't try it. We don't even get Girl Scouts - or if we get them its a very rare event.

This type of prospecting - is too in your face for my taste and is cheesy and classless. It also samcks of despiration. In general I think its a bad idea and reflects poorly on your image. there are plenty of people that resent their day being interrupted.

Advertisements
#152380 - 07/02/07 07:37 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: AmberEyez]
Cool Cat Offline

Loc: Indiana
Originally Posted By: AmberEyez

Let me explain what someone coming to MY door entails for me. I have two large dogs. One is very protective. If I'm on the phone or working with someone, I have to stop because of the barking. If someone knocks on my door, I have to chase the dogs away either in the back yard or in another room before answering the door. It is time consuming, interrupts my business and is VERY annoying. A similar situation arises with a mother trying to feed a young child in a high chair or a mother that just put a child down for a nap. The bell rings, wakes the baby etc. This isn't a minor inconvenience for many of us and our desire NOT to be solicited needs to be respected. If every sales person in the area was as inconiderate as Summit NJ and Huntstyle, I'd never be able to work at home at all! Thank God, my area is different in that almost anyone would give a very frosty response from that type of prospecting. People know it and don't try it. We don't even get Girl Scouts - or if we get them its a very rare event.

Also, If you are painting and standing on a ladder.

#152383 - 07/02/07 07:43 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Cool Cat]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Loc: PA
*giggle*

#152423 - 07/02/07 10:41 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
Cool Cat Offline

Loc: Indiana
No I'm serious. Can you imagine how annoying that would be if you were painting and on a ladder and the door bell rings? How about if you worked third shift at some factory across town by the railroad tracks next to McDonalds and you just got home, ran your bubble bath and finally got in, then the bell rings. How inconsiderate!

#152424 - 07/02/07 10:41 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
deepsea Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Atlanta GA
Personally I think it is pointless to argue about this. It's like the boring arguement that comes up over and over again about the DNC list. People who do it, aren't the type to listen to criticism of their actions, disregarding the wishes of others is what they do. If they don't care when people post a sign asking not to be disturbed, do you think they care if people don't like what they do? They are going to do it no matter what anyone says to them so why waste your breath yelling at them about it?

#152436 - 07/02/07 11:19 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Cool Cat]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Originally Posted By: Cool Cat
No I'm serious. Can you imagine how annoying that would be if you were painting and on a ladder and the door bell rings? How about if you worked third shift at some factory across town by the railroad tracks next to McDonalds and you just got home, ran your bubble bath and finally got in, then the bell rings. How inconsiderate!

It still was a funny image though. As long as I'm not the painter.

Actually, most of my experience with people knocking on my door to sell something HAS been at an inconvenient time. One time I was just starting supper and the guy (book salesman) KNEW it was supper time because he said "I hate to bother you at dinner time..." and I said "Yes, actually I was just starting supper, soo.." and he goes "Mmmm, it smells delicious. What is it?" and I got annoyed because he was lying. I had just put on a pot of water to cook pasta. Nothing else. I said "I didn't know hot water could smell so good."

I then told him that I was busy and to please go away and tell his supervisor to take our name off his route. Another time, Jehovah's Witnesses came by when I was sick, and asleep on the couch.

When I am in my house with my door shut, I do not want to be bothered by the outside world unless someone is invited. Like the medieval castles with moats and drawbridges...man, that's the life! wink

#152773 - 07/03/07 08:13 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: AmberEyez]
Huntstyle Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN
If every sales person in the area was as inconiderate as Summit NJ and Huntstyle, I'd never be able to work at home at all! Thank God, my area is different in that almost anyone would give a very frosty response from that type of prospecting. People know it and don't try it. We don't even get Girl Scouts - or if we get them its a very rare event.

This type of prospecting - is too in your face for my taste and is cheesy and classless. It also samcks of despiration. In general I think its a bad idea and reflects poorly on your image. there are plenty of people that resent their day being interrupted.

Way to judge a book by its cover! For your information, I have never door knocked before, and never said that I intended to do it in no soliciting neighborhoods. Why do you think I asked about it first?

If you are so bothered by people coming to your door, then why don't you fill it in with a wall and remove the doorbell? In fact, while you're at it, just surround your whole property with barbed wire fence! That should keep those evil solicitors away!

I bet you are proud for running the Girls Scouts organization into the ground! There should be more people like you in the world to get rid of these nasty evil organizations whose sole purpose is to ruin your day and waste your time by ringing your doorbell!

That is quite a negative attitude you have. You will enjoy life so much more if you learn to let the little things go.

#153667 - 07/07/07 12:53 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Huntstyle]
Bay Area Brian Offline
Veteran Member

Door knocking, just do it. Some of those signs above the doorbell have been there through 3 or more owners. I remember sitting in a coffee shop and a guy running a soliciting crew was telling his trainees that sign means I have low sales resistance.

I always ignored them and nothing ever happened, the few times it was pointed out to me and I didn't have some non-soliciting purpose attached to my visit, I just said sorry I thought that was for the magazine subscription salespeople, and those kind of people.

Only once didn't I ring a bell, and it was because of a "do not disturb, baby sleeping" sign. As I was driving by on my way to go home a 80'ish woman came out to water her lawn, I stopped to talk to her and she told me the sign worked fine, she got the idea when she visited one of her newborn great-grandchildren.

#153672 - 07/07/07 01:25 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: AmberEyez]
RealtorBarbaraT Offline

Loc: Wantagh, NY
I do the yard thing to. I walk neighborhoods and talk to people who are out gardening or walking the dog or playing with the kids. There are only a couple of areas that are conducive to this type of prospecting, but for those neighborhoods, it works.

As for my "attitude problem". I think agents have enough trouble thorwing off the "sleazy, pushing, in-your-face" image without newer agents running around ignoring "no soliciting" signs.

Well no one forces you to answer the doorbell, just as no one forces you to answer the phone or read an email. I can look out my window and decide if it is anyone I want to open the door for, and I often opt not to open the door, like when the Jehovah's witnesses are around. You know you ALWAYS can spot them.

My friends and family all have cell phones, so if they were at the door they could call me to open the door ( even if I did not answer the phone when they start to leave a message I can hear what they are saying).

But what really urks me is DNC , opt out mail and on one answers the door, what options does that leave anyone? Yes you might as well live in a castle with a moat with that kind of attitude.

#153712 - 07/07/07 05:45 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: RealtorBarbaraT]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

Quote:
But what really urks me is DNC , opt out mail and on one answers the door, what options does that leave anyone? Yes you might as well live in a castle with a moat with that kind of attitude.

Some people just do not like to be bothered.

Before the DNC list, we often got 3 - 4 soliciting phone calls a day. At supper time, at this, at that. Sure, I can choose not to answer the phone, but why can't I choose not to be bothered IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Why should [non soliciting folks] have to ignore "you" ? ("You" being a general term).

#153785 - 07/08/07 01:16 AM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
RealtorBarbaraT Offline

Loc: Wantagh, NY
I do not like calls either ( but I also screen my calls), but now that there is a do not mail list along with it, how will you contact people?

#153792 - 07/08/07 07:15 AM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: RealtorBarbaraT]
Perky_REALTOR Offline
Mod Squad
Major Contributor

I'm pretty darn busy right now with people contacting me from my blog, my craigslist ads, our office website, and personal referrals.

I got one listing and several buyer leads as a result of my blog.

Our office has received upcalls for listings after sellers have been on our website and liked what they saw...I got a listing from an upcall the other day. Another listing I got was an open listing - I know a company that sells their own property but also offers their properties to real estate offices as opens - I called them and asked to list their house (from which I have gotten tons of leads).

My last listing actually was the result of a farming campaign that the office did. It's a small piece of land.

#153822 - 07/08/07 12:09 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Perky_REALTOR]
AmberEyez Offline

Loc: Eastern US
Hunstyle: You made it perfectly clear that you did not WANT to obey the no soliciting signs. You have no intention of doing so and you are not concerned in the least that you are disobeying the homeowners express wishes, you are just wondering whether you can get away with it! When I put up a "no soliciting" sign at my door I expect sales people to RESPECT THAT. Period. You don't, you are trespassing. The last thing I want is new real estate agent who is just licensed and doesn't know what they are doing yet soliciting me when I expressly asked not to be solicited.

To the person who said I could just "ignore the door". NO I CAN'T! I have dogs and a lot of my work is on the phone. Someone crosses over my property line to ring the bell, it sets off the dogs. I have to hang up and call the person back. This interferes with my ability to do business and it is not appreciated.

If I want help from someone in sales, I will seek someone out. I do not like being approached at all. That's a reality that most sales people don't want to deal with. People are constantly under assualt froms sales people selling God only knows what - and they are absolutely sick to death of it. The fact that a federal DNC list was even established shows how angry the public is at solicitation. No one WANTS us bothering them. When I was working in my other field my attitude was this: if you need to bludgeon people with your presence, if you need to solicit that much that you ignore "no soliciting" signs, then you probably should be doing something else and you are obviously not busy enough. Why would I use a person who spends most of their time soliciting business in the most annoying way possible? If they are so busy getting new business, are they paying any attention to the clients they have signed up? Probably not.

The point is I don't want anyone contacting me about anything until I seek out help. That is the way 99% of the public feel too. What we need to do is put ourselves out there so that people will come to us when the time comes. You have to be imaginative and market yourself. The best ways for that are:

Web site - people come to YOU - you don't chase THEM and drive them crazy.
Blog - see above
Uptime - not so great, but I've gotten sales
Open Houses - good way to find people who are looking.
Family and friends - this takes time because they know you are new...but it will pay off over time.

Real estate agents get mad when they are not viewed as "professional." The same group then insists on engaging in behavior that is intrusive and as unprofessional and inconsiderate as it can get. Houston, we have a problem!

#153827 - 07/08/07 12:22 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: AmberEyez]
Jennifer Allan Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: The Beach
Hooray!!!

AmberEyez... you are my new hero.

#153835 - 07/08/07 12:53 PM Re: "No Soliciting" [Re: Jennifer Allan]
ReallyReal Offline

Good Lord, I know people want to be left alone but are we all such an island that this is how we get over incidental human contact?

The Mormons come to my door often. I thought I would have been put on the do not knock list by now. Anyway, sure it is a bother but so what? I am courteous and tell them I appreciate their knock but I am not interested. The Edward Jones man comes along as well. Along come the Scouts, neighborhood children selling wrapping paper, the fence and magazine folks too.

They don't all come in the same day.

I have had sleeping and nursing children, barking dogs and ladders. When I was on the ladder, I got down, opened the nearest window and told them I couldn't come to the door. Still it is not that much of an issue.

I enjoy my privacy like everyone else, but I don't loathe human contact with people outside of my tiny little sphere.

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
alen111, deanne, Cupcakes, whoiamnow, KateK
30192 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (estatereal, KateK, Bernard), 60 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Vermont 19
Trouble 17
estatereal 11
Z06Fanatic 10
Mr. Clean 8
newagent2028 8
HChomat 7
T.T. 6
Bigtoe 5