Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 29290269
No new orders today 13255170
Stupid MLS comments. 3540401
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1343250
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1186401
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1128713
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 912439
Let's talk about our cars 765248
Most common items found at an REO 692043
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 676578
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 668597
REOTRANS 514548
Main Street 501430
EML 459242
asset val seminar in colorado 455826
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 391501
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 369055
Evalonline 300215
Land America 285057
Mainstreet 261863
Matched Content
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#140074 - 05/11/07 01:14 AM Referral, what is legal or illegal???
zippys90 Offline

I am a angent in CA...I have solicited my business to different lenders and have always be thankful for a referral by giving a referral fee (or best put as finder fee)...one office in particular I give 20% to the broker who is then suppose to give a fee to the LO for the referral because the broker does all the marketing...well our first deal together, was a self-gen for this LO but I still gave the broker the 20% referral, hoping they would pay the LO accordingly for the self-gen butthey never paid a fee to the LO. yesterday, i emailed the all the partners and cc'd the LO has to the breakdown of the fee for tax purposes and one of the owners then called me upset because I cc'd the LO, my response was I thought the LO got paid so if he knew then he would be able to provide me the information I was requesting...basically he felt that he shouldn't have paid the LO the referral fee because a couple of months ago he didn't do a loan so he was basically working at his office for free. Now he called the LO into the office and talk to him about kickbacks. (I can go on about our conversation but I will spare all the nonsense). WHAT IS APPROPRIATE IN THIS SITUATION, I TOTALLY FEEL WHAT TRANSPIRED IS SO UNETHICAL BUT PLEASE HELP ME IF I'M WRONG?????

Advertisements
#140077 - 05/11/07 01:20 AM Re: Referral, what is legal or illegal??? [Re: zippys90]
staggart Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Idaho Falls, ID, USA
Uhhhhhhhhh . .

Under RESPA, it is utterly illegal for a real estate agent to pay or be paid a fee by a lender for referring business to that lender. It is a federal crime with both heavy fines and jail time attached.

If that is what you have been doing, you need to go have a very frank conversation with your broker. Then, you probably need to get into an attorney.

Southeast Idaho's Real Estate Leader(sm)
The GOLD Standard(sm)
400 W. Sunnyside Road
Idaho Falls, ID 83402
(208) 524-2121
http://www.IFhomes.com
http://www.IFreschool.com
staggart@ida.net

#140089 - 05/11/07 02:35 AM Re: Referral, what is legal or illegal??? [Re: staggart]
Merkaba Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: South Carolina
yea, in SC the only person you can pay is another licensed RE broker.

Keller Williams Realty
South Carolina

#140090 - 05/11/07 02:41 AM Re: Referral, what is legal or illegal??? [Re: Merkaba]
staggart Offline
Veteran Member

Remember, RESPA is as federal statute.

The GOLD Standard(sm)
400 W. Sunnyside Road
Idaho Falls, ID 83402
(208) 524-2121
staggart@ida.net

#140091 - 05/11/07 02:41 AM Re: Referral, what is legal or illegal??? [Re: Merkaba]
changeagent Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Universe
I think this is a great example of what just opening the floodgates and allowing people to become agents without having the slightest idea about rules, regulations, ethics or laws is creating in the marketplace.

WHY does this agent not know the facts about what he/she has been doing? (And what about the receiving parties?)

I am just sick of hearing of these slick tactics - no wonder it is so difficult for people who play by the rules to get ahead.

#140106 - 05/11/07 04:11 AM Re: Referral, what is legal or illegal??? [Re: changeagent]
TPA_sold Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Originally Posted By: changeagent
I think this is a great example of what just opening the floodgates and allowing people to become agents without having the slightest idea about rules, regulations, ethics or laws is creating in the marketplace.

WHY does this agent not know the facts about what he/she has been doing? (And what about the receiving parties?)

I am just sick of hearing of these slick tactics - no wonder it is so difficult for people who play by the rules to get ahead.

Dont worry about it. he/she will get reported to the real estate commision sooner or later and license revoked.

Dont know how long you've been an agent, but it is now MANDATORY(in florida at least) to pass 60 hours of class time, based on real estate principals, and law before you're even allowed to take the state exam. Still, how somebody could be a licensed agent and NOT know a law like that is beyond me.

#140114 - 05/11/07 04:37 AM Re: Referral, what is legal or illegal??? [Re: TPA_sold]
JamesCruz Offline

Loc: Seattle, Wa
Wasn't this on the Realtor test from Promissor? Looks like he got that question wrong. Well at least now you know not to do it. And maybe you should consider a new brokerage, if they did that, who knows what they will do next.

#140125 - 05/11/07 05:35 AM Re: Referral, what is legal or illegal??? [Re: JamesCruz]
staggart Offline
Veteran Member

To prevent future "misunderstandings" let me state the rules:

It is improper for a licensed real estate agent to pay anyone for business. The sole exception is that a real estate agent may pay a referral fee to another licensed agent for business referred to that agent (most so-called internet lead providers, relocation companies and reo entities have a licensed brokerage to allow reciept of referral fees). But, nothing can be paid to individuals or companies who are not licensed for sending business to you.

Further, agents may not pay nor receive payment from third party service providers such as lenders, title companies, appraisers, home inspectors, etc. for business referred to them or from them.

These rules apply nationally through the federal RESPA (Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act) and most states have equivalent language. Further, most state brokerage statutes (I believe all) prohibit the sharing of any real estate commission with an unlicensed person.

These prohibitions carry stiff penalties. They are felonies and are associated with jail time and large fines.

The GOLD Standard(sm)
400 W. Sunnyside Road
Idaho Falls, ID 83402
(208) 524-2121
staggart@ida.net

#140149 - 05/11/07 11:51 AM Re: Referral, what is legal or illegal??? [Re: staggart]
Indy Broker Offline

Loc: Central Indiana
www.ireiba.com

#140157 - 05/11/07 12:04 PM Re: Referral, what is legal or illegal??? [Re: Indy Broker]
FL Realtor Offline

Loc: Florida
What's an angent? Is that similar to an agent, except angelic?

#140170 - 05/11/07 02:15 PM Re: Referral, what is legal or illegal??? [Re: FL Realtor]
Realtyeyes Offline

Loc: California
Everyone seems to be so selfrighteous and letter-of-the-law in their responses. My experience after 16 years as an agent and broker tells me that corruption and unethical behavior are the dominant orders of the day.

Realtyeyes

#140174 - 05/11/07 02:30 PM Re: Referral, what is legal or illegal??? [Re: Realtyeyes]
staggart Offline
Veteran Member

Bettina Settles --- It will depend on your state brokerage statutue.

In mine, one cannot give anything of value -- thus, the giftcard would be inappropriate.

The basic concept is simple: You cannot buy business from an unlicensed person or entity.

The GOLD Standard(sm)
400 W. Sunnyside Road
Idaho Falls, ID 83402
(208) 524-2121
staggart@ida.net

#140175 - 05/11/07 02:30 PM Re: Referral, what is legal or illegal??? [Re: Realtyeyes]
staggart Offline
Veteran Member

Realtyeyes ---

I strongly disagree with your overall evaluation of the industry.

Of course, there are bad eggs. But, you --- personally --- have an affirmative duty to weed those out.
The GOLD Standard(sm)
400 W. Sunnyside Road
Idaho Falls, ID 83402
(208) 524-2121
staggart@ida.net

#140178 - 05/11/07 03:10 PM Re: Referral, what is legal or illegal??? [Re: staggart]
Paul Oaks Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Central Illinois
Steve,
The only thing you forgot to mention is that what you stated applies only to residential transactions. Commercial transactions are not subject to RESPA. In a commercial transaction the LO can freely offer a referral fee for sending business his way.

Originally Posted By: staggart
To prevent future "misunderstandings" let me state the rules:

It is improper for a licensed real estate agent to pay anyone for business. The sole exception is that a real estate agent may pay a referral fee to another licensed agent for business referred to that agent (most so-called internet lead providers, relocation companies and reo entities have a licensed brokerage to allow reciept of referral fees). But, nothing can be paid to individuals or companies who are not licensed for sending business to you.

Further, agents may not pay nor receive payment from third party service providers such as lenders, title companies, appraisers, home inspectors, etc. for business referred to them or from them.

These rules apply nationally through the federal RESPA (Real Estate Settlement Procedures Act) and most states have equivalent language. Further, most state brokerage statutes (I believe all) prohibit the sharing of any real estate commission with an unlicensed person.

These prohibitions carry stiff penalties. They are felonies and are associated with jail time and large fines.

#140179 - 05/11/07 03:17 PM Re: Referral, what is legal or illegal??? [Re: Paul Oaks]
smg Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: United States
In Arizona, this was covered in depth in class and on the licensing test. I am really surprised that someone would even ask this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Will1329, OpClassicGal, TonywithAM, EWcontractor, AnnyGraell
31077 Registered Users
Who's Online
1 registered (brady12Pats), 28 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Trouble 13
CathCoy 11
Long Walk 10
Bigtoe 7
Lucky Leonardo 7
Z06Fanatic 5
Admin 4
Mr. Clean 4
realestategreat 3