Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on TwitterFollow AgentsOnline on Facebook

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Good Idea!
Realtor Promotion Service

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28454270
No new orders today 13135012
Stupid MLS comments. 3340812
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1224964
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1100774
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1055380
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 844011
Let's talk about our cars 696994
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 622379
Most common items found at an REO 615675
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 612626
REOTRANS 461320
EML 459235
Main Street 442250
asset val seminar in colorado 421694
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 352808
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 328055
Evalonline 300209
Land America 285053
Mainstreet 261860
Matched Content
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#76074 - 12/20/04 08:48 AM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Unregistered

If you feel your services & integrity in the real estate industry isn't special enough to broadcast to you neighborhood and another agent might do a better job than it's probably doesn't make it the right thing to do. However, if you feel your services are truly superior to what you're witnessing in the market, you are doing all homeowner's a favor by letting them know what you can do for them. If you look at your business this way cold calling isn't bad at all right? If you know how to communicate this message to your farm area, then your still viewed as a caring professional you were before you started telemarketing.

Advertisements
#76075 - 12/20/04 09:07 AM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Paul Oaks Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Central Illinois
Cold Calling & Door knocking are two methods of prospecting that cause alot of controversy for both Real Estate professionals and the general public.

"Do Not Call List should Always be Checked before Calling without exception"

The public many times views this as an inconvenience and a bother, unless they just happen to be considering the possibility of buying or selling a house. Then if they do not already have a Realtor they are more than happy to talk to you and with luck you can turn them into a client.

That is why the sweathogs program exists and is still sucessful(at least while you are in the program). This is an effective method of prospecting for a new agent or an agent on a tight prospecting budget as it cost Nothing! Let me repeat that NOTHING!

To do this type of prospecting takes alot of self control and discipline. It is not for everyone and most will stop doing it once their other methods of prospecting begin to show results. It is ideal for someone with a limited SOI or just relocated to a new area.

#76076 - 12/20/04 10:38 AM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
dcook22 Offline

Loc: Plantation, FL (Broward)
Quote:
Originally posted by ArizonaAgent:
I have been good about holding my opinions lately since this formum seems to only want to hear what it wants to hear.
bummer Arizona. I always found your posts informative and interesting. If anyone thinks you should keep your opinions to yourself, then they're the fool. The one thing you may be confusing is disagreement. This is something I find "activists" doing. I'M NOT SAYING YOU'RE AN ACTIVIST!!! I'm just saying that activist types tend to put out an idea and see if people agree. If they disagree, the activist tends to think they are being shut-up, or kept down, or falling prey to THE MAN. When really, all that is happening is that people aren't agreeing with the original position.

I think you should voice any opinion you want about this industry. And if, for example, you find people telling you you're wrong about going to libraries for training material, or that spending money on marketing kits is OK, then just accept that people don't agree. It doesn't mean anyone wants you to go away.

Again, I'm not calling you an activist...i just used an analogy. please don't get upset. Email and forums can't convey emotion, inflection, or intent.

Quote:
Just curious, don't those of you who don't cold call also feel like door knocking is basically the same thing? You are interrupting lives on the hope someone in their average 7-year turnover will hopefully be in that mode of "let's move now". In addition, out of those very few, get one who already doesn't have a relationship with a realtor or have been inundated with mailers etc over the past 7 years. Don't you feel at least a little embarrassed when the poor woman who was putting her baby to sleep now has to stop what she is doing to answer YOUR need?
I just have a real problem with this; I wouldn't do anything that I wouldn't want done to me. So just because they are on the DO NOT Call list, does that mean it's ok for you to go to their house and circumvent their efforts to stop being pestered to death by salesmen?
I agree that salesmen can get annoying..or at least I think I do. I can honestly say that in 35 years of living in Queens, NY (in a nice neighborhood), no door-to-door salesman ever came to my door.

I think perhaps the personal contact is lost in many ways. I've worked with computers for a couple of years and even things like Christmas just aren't the same. Some folks might LIKE to meet a person who can help them assess their home's value. And I don't think the goal is to get the listing that day. i think the goal is to get out there and let the neighborhood know that there is someone who can help them and is a real person, not a face on a bus stop.

But if not cold-calling and door knocking, what would you suggest to a newbie agent? there is no referral base, and let's say they are new to their market, like me. i just moved here to Miami in August and got my license 11/9. What can I do to drum up business?

Thanks in advance for your reply Arizona.

#76077 - 12/20/04 10:45 AM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Mrs. Sparks Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Oaks:
That is why the sweathogs program exists and is still sucessful(at least while you are in the program). This is an effective method of prospecting for a new agent or an agent on a tight prospecting budget as it cost Nothing! Let me repeat that NOTHING!

To do this type of prospecting takes alot of self control and discipline. It is not for everyone and most will stop doing it once their other methods of prospecting begin to show results. It is ideal for someone with a limited SOI or just relocated to a new area.
I'm going to be a new agent as of next week when I pass the FL State License exam. I'm interested is the "Sweathogs Program" a Coldwell Banker program or is it an industry slang term for something else? Being newbie it's not a terminology that I am familiar with.
Thanks. smile
p.s. I'm signing up with Coldwell Bankers so that's why I'm curious.

#76078 - 12/20/04 10:55 AM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Paul Oaks Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Central Illinois
No Sweathogs is not a Coldwell Banker program, you can check out the program at http://floydwickman.com/sweathogs/index.html

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mrs. Sparks:
[QB] [QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul Oaks:
[qb] .....
That is why the sweathogs program exists and is still sucessful(at least while you are in the

#76079 - 12/20/04 12:48 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Mrs. Sparks Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Thanks Paul Oaks,
I found the Weekly Assignments very useful and interesting reading; especialy the 10 ten ways to promote your business through email. Not having been through the CB training yet I'm not sure what I will need so I have bookmarked the site for future reference.

#76080 - 12/20/04 03:08 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Unregistered

Thank you Paul,
I found that website very helpful.

#76081 - 12/20/04 05:23 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Shamrock Offline

Loc: Pittsburgh, PA USA
I went through the Sweathogs program many many years ago. It is a fantastic program. My company
also does a similar program called Eagles which is geared to agents who have been in the business for awhile. We had to recommit to doing all the things we had to do in Sweathogs. It was a lot of work and a lot of fun. BTW, my team won!

#76082 - 12/20/04 05:33 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Unregistered

Thanks Cook, now I have 3 people who at least see the value in telling the truth.

#76083 - 12/20/04 05:41 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
higgyshouses Offline

Loc: White Rock, BC. Canada
Arizona
I was curious what is your marketing/prospecting program? Direct mail, newsletter, flyers? I hope you don't mind sharing with us.

Higgy

#76084 - 12/20/04 06:06 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Unregistered

Well, I recently moved from Wa state to AZ. I passed this states mortgage brokers test and am awaiting the license. What I do is market my mortgage service for free to get the real estate business. Basically, I tell people, "look, if you give me your real estate business, I'll give you par rate with no origination fee" On a 200K loan that is a savings of 2,000 bucks. Other mortgage guys can't compete with me cause they would essencially work for free. Other realtors can't compete unless they pay the origination fee for their clients.
I basically network! I golf just about everyday, meet 2-4 new people and about the 3rd hole we usually start talking business. Everyone I come accross says, "oh my, that's a great idea". So I avoid the mass mailings ( tried that, no luck ). Also, I am big on Open houses as long as they are newly listed properties. Then I can give the pitch to new prospective buyers. Some even change agents to work with me cause I save them so much money on their mortgage. In addition I explain to people how most mortgage brokers are making a killing on the back end. When people go back and look at their current mortgage brokers good faith estimate and see they could have been given a better rate if it weren't for the greedy mortgage guy, they usually switch to me.
SO there, now you don't have to be curious. Most of my business comes from the golf course and networking!!

#76085 - 12/20/04 06:14 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
higgyshouses Offline

Loc: White Rock, BC. Canada
Sucks to be you, LOL if you were just selling real estate and not in the mortgage business, what would you do besides golf to get listings.
The golf idea sounds good but our weather up here is pretty much like yours in WA. Wet as H__l.

Higgy

#76086 - 12/20/04 06:20 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Unregistered

Ya know, if I was just selling real estate... I have no idea, the competition here is stagering. Everyone and their mother is a realtor in AZ. I can't answer that question other than just doing open houses every Sat and Sun I possibly could. When I started selling real estate in Seattle years and years ago I did just that, open houses constantly. Being that I was there for so long I knew a lot of people, again, networking is absolutely the best way to get business!!! 1. its free 2. it works .. all this other sales crap traing stuff works... "EVENTUALLY" after you have worked you fingers to the bone.

#76087 - 12/20/04 06:35 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
brseminars Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Hutchinson, KS. 67501
ArizonaAgent,

Nice to see you are back.

Please show me the blatant solicitations from any of the moderators that you speak of in this thread so I can delete them.

#76088 - 12/20/04 07:19 PM Re: Cold Calling vs. Door Knocking for Listings
Unregistered

I really didn't go away... just got tired of watching a lot of the blind leading the blind. Just going to keep a low profile and watch a little.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
casperpearl, Green R and i, albertgore, flyboytm, Team Sztanyo
30085 Registered Users
Who's Online
5 registered (RonnieEmz, AHawk, philgore, 2 invisible), 69 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 33
Team Sztanyo 31
Vermont 19
kirastan 17
Gamin' Agent 10
estatereal 9
sualk54 7
Trouble 6
reolady123 6