Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28271233
No new orders today 13101850
Stupid MLS comments. 3276726
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189484
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061194
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028185
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822655
Let's talk about our cars 671007
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602720
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592429
Most common items found at an REO 576025
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440745
Main Street 419458
asset val seminar in colorado 407160
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340447
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306784
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#69953 - 05/03/05 03:31 PM Buyer_Agreements
Unregistered

Hi All,

I have a problem keeping buyers. It seems most of the buyers have at least 3 realtors working for them at the same time. Whenever I ask them sign a buyer-agreement, they told me that why they have to sign the buyer agreememt when there are so manyh realtors would love to represent them. What should I do in this case? Most of the time, after showing them houses for weeks and even months, they purchased house from other agents. Do you think this is very unethical after using a realtor for months, use a service for free, wasting my gas and time?

If anyone has any good suggestion, please share. I would really appreciate it because I am truly frustrate over this situation.

I am new in the business, so I still try to figure out my way in this real estate jungle. Upb to now, any right things that I have done have gone against me.

Thanks.

OCBroker.

Advertisements
#69954 - 05/03/05 06:33 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements
Unregistered

Find them the property first. In Nevada, we find them the property and sign the agreement with the offer. The agreement only lasts for that transaction

#69955 - 05/13/05 01:31 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements
Unregistered

Please help me understand this:

When I was in RE school, they pounded in our heads the fact you have to get a Buyers Rep Form signed to cover you....in other words if you did not have one signed and your buyer(someone you have spent countless hours helping) went somwehere else you did not get any comission.

Today I was talking to several Realtor friends of mine.....and not one of the them use this form, because you would have to sue the buyer anyhow for the comission. Does this make sense?

Please give me your thoughts! Thankyou:) confused

#69956 - 05/13/05 03:42 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements
KT Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Ohio
Many agents I've met don't use an EBA, either. It's not a rule, or law that I know of, anywhere that you must get buyers to sign one. It was designed for buyer agents' protection, to ensure they do get what's owed to them after completing a successful transaction.

W/out an EBA, buyers can use several agents, walk into an open, call a FSBO, whatever, and sign a purchase areement w/out "their" agent. And if they do that, I say more power to them. They found the house, not "their" agent. Why would anybody want to fork over several thousands of dollars to an agent who, if they are lucky, maybe, wrote the PA, but didn't find the house?

As far as suing goes to get a commission...I've heard this variation, but not suing the buyers. Like a listing agent holds an open, buyer either says they aren't working with an agent, or says, no we don't have an EBA, listing agent asks how they heard about the open, buyer says from the ad, or the sign (never mentions "their" agent at all in fact.) Listing agent writes offer, offer is accepted, then buyers "agent" steps in and says, woh nellie, their "my" buyers, where's "my" money, and listing agents says, uh, dude, no way. I was procurring cause for the transaction, and shows "buyers" agent records in regards to transaction, like NOT HAVING AN EBA with the buyers.

Why would somebody sue the buyers? They weren't under a contract w/the agent. THERE WAS NO EBA. I don't understand that at all. And no, giving a buyer client a stack of cards to hand out if they visit open houses does not mean they are "working" with an agent. I personally wouldn't mess w/a buyer that handed me a card, or dropped a name, but didn't have an EBA, because I have a little respect for the other agents out there, but there are agents that don't give a *insert your favorite explative here*, if there's no EBA.

#69957 - 05/13/05 03:59 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements
Unregistered

Katie,

Thanks so much for explaining this to me, although I am still confused or I did not explain myself very well.

My intention is to get the buyer to sign a EBA so they know I will be representing them. I was told to use this everytime to insure I was the Agent that got the comission if the buyers decided not to be loyal to me and go find another Agent to help them, or another Agent scooped them up right from under me.

Now, when I spoke to other Agents about this they said a EBA will not insure you receive the comission any how, I thought that is what EBA was for, and that is where the suit comes in, if they do not pay you the comission that is owed to you, you sue them......I am going to ask on the other board.

Thankyou so much for the time you took to answer my question.

#69958 - 05/16/05 03:35 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements
Jade456 Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada
My wife's team uses them for buyers that fly in from out of town. If they don't sign it, they are not taken out to see property.

#69959 - 05/17/05 02:03 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements
Kthor Offline

Loc: CA- East Bay
first when you meet clients, explain to them the Value of your service. etc....then tell them they have to sign this buyer/broker agreement.
if they didn't sign the agreement, then your value to your clients is next to nothing.
Walk away if they don't want to sign. it's better
to go to the next prospect than waste your time
to some sob client who's gonna play around with you and waste your time

Find Places to visit in California and Information

Foreclosures

#69960 - 05/19/05 06:07 AM Re: Buyer_Agreements
GA Peach Realtor Offline

Loc: Atlanta
I don't use them either and I only work with Buyers and I have lost 3 so far out of 3 years...Let them know up front this is how you make your money and if the want to play games find another realtor...Just in a professional kind of way smile
www.TheNikkiJohnsonTeam.com

#69961 - 05/27/05 09:57 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements
Unregistered

It was explained to me that the Buyers agreement can be explained to the client like this : Mr/Mrs buyer if I take you to this property with out this form signed I will not be able to offer you my expertise as I could get sued for implied representation (making a statement against the seller, who is paying the commission). However, If I am working for you, I can give you the benefit of my knowledge.
[URL=http://www.nwnjhomefinders.com]www.nwnjhomes.com

#69962 - 06/04/05 08:25 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements
Duncan Pollock Offline

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I remember what one of the first Gurus I listened to said regarding loyalty.
"How do you get it?" he asked.
"Earn it?" we wondered. "No," he responded.
"Deserve it?" we went on. "No," he demurred.
"How then?" we asked him.
"Simple," he explained. "You ASK for it."
In other words, from the get go you tell a prospective buyer that you intend to work for them and to help them get, as it were, "the most house for the money" as opposed to the "most money for the house" (which is what a listing or sub agent is going to try for). Your total commitment is to their best interests, no one else's. Not a seller's, not a listing agent's, not a sub-agent's. Just theirs. You will, in fact, do "whatever it takes" to find them the one right home. No limit on time, no limit on the number of houses, no limit on effort. Instead, as much time and effort as they require, with no hesitation or complaints whatsoever or ever from you.
In a word, your wish is to treat them as a CLIENT and to serve them to your utmost ability.
And the cost to them for all this? Just one simple, single thing that isn't going to cost them a dime -- and stands a good chance of saving them money (because you're going to help them pay as little as possible for the house you find for them). And what is it? Loyalty!
They can go to any open house they want. They can call up their own on whatever listings they see or happen to notice while driving by. Or they can ask you to get the information for them as often as they wish. Indeed, they can do whatever they choose to do EXCEPT for one thing: when they are ready to make an offer, they let you and you alone be the agent that draws it up, presents it, negotiates it, and -- by this simple, straightforward, but undeviating means -- allows you to get paid for what you've done.
You need to believe this. You need to demonstrate it. You need to live up to the truth of it. And all it really requires is a handshake or a nod of the head.
You can, if you wish, get them to sign a Buyer Agency Agreement, but it isn't necessary if you get your message across. Nikki lost no more than three people in three years and I've beaten her by losing only two. But neither she nor I have ever needed a signature to ensure loyalty. Instead, we do what the Guru advised.
We ASK for it!

Duncan

#69963 - 06/04/05 11:20 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements
Dee in Austin Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Austin, TX
Here is what I do. Texas may be different than your state. Agents here have a duty to disclose to the seller until a buyer agrees orally or in writing that you represent them. I normally just work with investors and sellers, but have picked up beginner investors lately.

When I first meet a buyer:

1. I explain that, by law, I must explain the "information about broker services" notice, which discusses types of agent representation.

2. I tell the buyer to keep in mind that I do not represent them because until they have hired me. I hand them a sheet that explains what I can and cannot do until they hire me.

3. I explain that when we see the property, I cannot offer advice, etc. and that they should not tell me anything that they would consider confidential because I still have a duty to the seller.

4. I then tell them that we can look at houses today, but to keep what I said in mind. If they'd like to hire me after today or put in an offer, I've included the form they'd need to complete.

I like the idea of giving the person a chance to get to know me before we sign. So far, it's worked fine. They already know they need to sign the contact and they're prepared to move to the next step. So far, I've had luck with us finding houses on the first shot, but if we didn't find a house they liked, I'd basically tell the buyer that if they'd like to see additional homes, that would be great. All they need to do is hire me.
http://www.TexasRealtyBlog.com

#69964 - 06/11/05 08:02 AM Re: Buyer_Agreements
Mary Ellen in Georgia Offline

Loc: southwest Georgia
This is all very enlightening...

I have been a "buyer" and a "seller" but never a "representor"... well, i will be soon (just passed my exam) - i guess i am writing b/c it is amazing what is ASSUMED by a buyer who is still a customer - UNLESS the agent explains the facts!!

I can recall a few times purchasing when i assssssumed i was being represented, when in fact i was not - this led to confusion on my part and in one situation paying too much for a property, only to realize the fact a few years later when listing....

i plan to draw from my own experience of having suffered the consequences $$$$ - when not having signed a EBA. I am learning so much on this website - it is giving me the confidence i will need to get going - thanks for listening.))

..... still, i like your advice Duncan, on boldly going in to the relationship and helping the buyer to define it - for the best results for all that are involved!! with that said - i plan to see how this works (at first, hopefully as a rule) and use "implication" as an aggreement.) thanks!!

#69965 - 06/25/05 07:34 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements
RealtorBarbaraT Offline

Loc: Wantagh, NY
I just got my CBR designation and it opened my eyes. Before this I was giving info away. Not anymore. I tell you one thing, all of your doubts and questions are answered when you take this course. I am no longer wasting my time with people who use us for info and then go buy with someone else!

#69966 - 06/25/05 07:40 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements
Dee in Austin Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Austin, TX
Congrats, Barbara. When you take CRS or GRI courses on buyer representation, it really answers a lot of these questions.
http://www.TexasRealtyBlog.com

#69967 - 07/01/05 09:52 AM Re: Buyer_Agreements
altarealtor Offline

Duncan, that was a fine post indeed. Buyers agreements are appropriate for specific situations, such as the mentioned fly in on a relocation. Misused however, will fuel the publics' mistrust for Realtors. Buyers agreements IMHO are a tool of the skilled, not the masses.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Non GMO CRE, Reguru1, Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis
29796 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (STEW, Mercedes, 1 invisible), 64 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 74
Vermont 40
Flare616 16
estatereal 15
Trouble 14
RonnieEmz 13
Snapple 12
Logan Five 11
Analog Man 10