Agents Online Real Estate Forums, Discussion, Realtors Marketing Tips

Follow AgentsOnline on Twitter

Click Here to display our logo on your site and link to us!
AgentsOnline Real Estate Discussion Forums Logo

Realtor CommunityA popular online real estate community since 1998!

Advertisements

Sponsored Links
Good Idea!
The ultimate marketing tool

Advertisements
How To Advertise Here
How To Advertise Here

Sponsored Links
(Views)Popular Topics
I MAKE 100 COLD CALLS EVERY DAY & LOVE IT! 28267745
No new orders today 13101598
Stupid MLS comments. 3276541
What do you know about Froy Candelario, top agent in USA 1189280
Stupid QC comments and BPO requirements. 1061069
New HUD Listing Brokers---Any Update? 1028059
Is there religious content in Buffini class? 822473
Let's talk about our cars 670855
Name that Flick. Great movie Lines. 602672
Pay it Forward - BPO/REO Tips & Tricks I & II 592256
Most common items found at an REO 575779
EML 459232
REOTRANS 440702
Main Street 419364
asset val seminar in colorado 407127
assist 2 sell or 1 percent realty? 340415
HOMONYMS - There, Their, and They're 306735
Evalonline 300191
Land America 285052
Mainstreet 261859
Matched Content
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#69968 - 07/01/05 02:32 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements
RealtorBarbaraT Offline

Loc: Wantagh, NY
I have a real different take on it but I do think if you want to practice Buyer agency, then you must get your designation.

Advertisements
#69969 - 07/01/05 02:36 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements
RealtorBarbaraT Offline

Loc: Wantagh, NY
I do not agree, I think you are always under obligation to the seller unless you become a buyer agent to the buyer customer (thereby making them the client instead of the seller). Otherwise you are violating your fiduciary duties to the seller, your real client.

#69970 - 07/04/05 08:06 AM Re: Buyer_Agreements
Jim Lee Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: Knoxville, Tennessee, Knox Cou...
Quote:
Originally posted by RealtorBarbaraT:
I do not agree, I think you are always under obligation to the seller unless you become a buyer agent to the buyer customer (thereby making them the client instead of the seller). Otherwise you are violating your fiduciary duties to the seller, your [b]real client. [/b]
That may be true where you are but it is not true in all states Barbara.

In Tennessee for example, unless you have a signed agency agreement with either a buyer or a seller you are nobody's agent and not under any obligation to either party except to follow the real estate commission's regulations regarding duties to consumers and the Realtor's Code of Ethics.

Tennessee calls that status "facilitator", other states call it "transaction broker" and maybe there are other terms. Whatever the label it does not involve any fudiciary duties to a buyer or seller unless mandated by law.

We have "designated agency" in Tennessee which makes only one agent in a company have fudiciary duties to either a buyer or seller client and you have to have a written agreement with either to be anyone's agent.

As an example one agent in my company can be the "designated selller's agent" and another can be the "designated buyer's agent" with full fudiciary duties to both AND the broker is not a dual agent in this case.
I am not an attorney & I am not giving you any legal advice.

#69971 - 07/20/05 06:51 AM Re: Buyer_Agreements
Irene Morales Ward Offline

Loc: Northern Virginia
But neither she nor I have ever needed a signature to ensure loyalty. Instead, we do what the Guru advised.
We ASK for it!

Duncan [/QB][/QUOTE]

I agree wholeheartedly with your advise and philosophy. That is precisely the kind of explanation that gets my clients committed to me. Almost 100% of my clients are referral so explaining to them how I do business and what I expect from them in return is very simple. If you don't explain how you work you can't blame the customers for not understanding the implications of using multiple agents.

#147800 - 06/13/07 03:24 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements [Re: Duncan Pollock]
Dave Skitz Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Originally Posted By: Duncan Pollock

...They can go to any open house they want. They can call up their own on whatever listings they see or happen to notice while driving by. Or they can ask you to get the information for them as often as they wish. Indeed, they can do whatever they choose to do EXCEPT for one thing: when they are ready to make an offer, they let you and you alone be the agent that draws it up, presents it, negotiates it, and -- by this simple, straightforward, but undeviating means -- allows you to get paid for what you've done...

How do handle this type of situation, if they're working with another agent in a similar fashion?

#147867 - 06/13/07 07:38 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements [Re: Dave Skitz]
Jade456 Offline

Loc: Las Vegas, Nevada
Good question Dave. I'm guessing one agreement with supercede another.

#148572 - 06/16/07 03:06 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements [Re: Jade456]
Pikes Peak Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: FL
"I'm guessing one agreement with supercede another."
If they have signed 2 agreements to pay the agents, they could owe 2 commissions.

#148693 - 06/17/07 12:31 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements [Re: Pikes Peak]
Dave Skitz Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Sorry, I guess I didn't state my question properly. Referring back to Duncan's post: "...Indeed, they can do whatever they choose to do EXCEPT for one thing: when they are ready to make an offer, they let you and you alone be the agent that draws it up, presents it, negotiates it, and -- by this simple, straightforward, but undeviating means -- allows you to get paid for what you've done..." How do handle this situation, if the they're working with another agent(s) without having signed an agreement with either you or the other agent(s)?

#153075 - 07/05/07 08:13 AM Re: Buyer_Agreements [Re: Dee in Austin]
Leighlee Offline

Hi

I was reading your post, and I was wondering, could you share with us what you put on your list of services that you can not provide to the prospective buyers?

Thank you
Leighlee

#154465 - 07/10/07 04:10 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements [Re: Leighlee]
MrsSea Offline

Loc: Washington, DC
Ok, I know this was covered I think on my first day of class..but Imma ask again anyhow.

I have a client, we have an agreement, could I tell her that if she sees a home/condo elswhere with a different realtor (say they work for Remax) and she REALLY wants that one (and I work for Coldwell Banker) to let me know... how does that work....she's loyal and tells me "I want that home, what can you do to make a deal?"

Edited by MrsSea (07/10/07 04:11 PM)

#154771 - 07/11/07 11:37 AM Re: Buyer_Agreements [Re: MrsSea]
rwilson99 Offline

Loc: Tampa, Florida
You cover that when you complete your buyer agreement...

Mr./Mrs. Buyer

There are ostensibly two rules for you with this agreement.

1. I get to show you the property, if you see something let me know and I'll arrange the showing, OK?

2. I get to write the contract, after all if the seller's agent writes the contract, I don't get to protect you're interest, make sense?

You will need to trade a little bit of instant gratification for a higher level of service, does that sound fair?

Super... I need your driver's license so we can complete the paperwork.

I am not a laywer, and I can't even spell very well.

#158228 - 07/25/07 09:02 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements [Re: Guest]
Devil's Advocate Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Ontario, Canada
If applicable, study up on agency law and then be in a position to explain to the prospect the difference between a fiduciary relationship and a non-fiduciary relationship and the advantage and disadvantage of both relationships. An intelligent consumer will quickly see the difference if explained to them right and if they are not willing to engage your service, then don't give then any.

#159539 - 07/31/07 08:44 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements [Re: altarealtor]
rich1mck Offline

Loc: Port St Lucie, Florida
Excellent post Duncan!

#166844 - 08/30/07 04:09 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements [Re: Guest]
Bella Offline

Loc: Maryland, USA
This could lead to many commission disputes (procurring cause) and be costly to all agents involved thus must be avoided.
If buyers are hesitant to sign the agency agreement, inform them that this is your office policy. Further, you can explain in detail that they have the right to cancel the agreement if disatisfied with your services. That should eliminate any discomfort or concerns unless they are not serious about buying.

#166862 - 08/30/07 05:40 PM Re: Buyer_Agreements [Re: Bella]
Pikes Peak Offline
Major Contributor

Loc: FL
"If buyers are hesitant to sign the agency agreement, inform them that this is your office policy."

If it really is not office policy, it could be perceived as discrimination and land you in different hot water.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Google Custom Forum Search

This Google Custom search may do a better job of searching the forums for some keywords than the old forum search does. The results do not include threads from the Asset Managers Forum however. To search that forum you will need to be actually in the Asset Managers Forum and you will need to use the old forum search below.
Search

Newest Members
Shaun225, Dr.Brim, james luis, Snapple, Rockin m
29794 Registered Users
Who's Online
3 registered (Muniart, Shaun225, 1 invisible), 44 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Shout Box

Top Posters (30 Days)
Long Walk 80
Vermont 41
estatereal 19
RonnieEmz 17
Flare616 16
Trouble 15
Snapple 12
Mr. Clean 11
Logan Five 11